What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started well with breakfast of yoghurt with seeds and 6 blackberries, and 1 cold sausage.
Coffee with cream midmorning was supposed to see me through a busy afternoon.
Did exercise class and a couple of errands OK, but then hit the big shop.
Have visitors coming for weekend so shop included carbs, not many but felt so strange buying things I shouldn't eat, that whilst unpacking them I ate:
1 large cookie,
1 fairy cake,
4 chocolate covered marshmallows
Some brazils,
3 low carb brownies (just so there was room in the freezer for something else :banghead:)
4 strawberries
2 grapes

And then I still had dinner of steak and broccoli and a grilled tomato!!!

Why, oh why such a binge? I told myself I was just trying them to see if they were good enough for my guests... but I knew i wasn't really. Definitely something self harming going on. I was in my own and knew no one coukd see. Haven't tested but feel bloated.
Oh and the marshmallows were horrible, cheap chocolate coating and loads of gelatine

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All firstly @Antje77 thanks for great pics and welcome back and enjoy a quiet time with your animals and easy nutritious food.
Today just had my slice of toast cooled and thick with butter and tea.
Lunch will be a few cold bites from the fridge and yogurt that needs moving on.
Supper will be cod loin baked with a drizzle of Teriyaki sauce and green beans, probs the remainder of that yogurt. If I feel like it I might celebrate Friday with a gin & soda (taking @Goonergal comments about rogue diet advice to the wire, haha.)

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Thanks for all your comments. Hope we all soon start feeling better! Bg was 6.5 this morning so that's given me a boost. I'm skipping bf today. (Once upon a time I wouldn't dream of doing that! I was told bf is the most important meal of the day!) Midday, airfried belly pork. At my local butcher's, he cooks belly pork every Thursday with crackling to die for! Teatime I will probably have egg mayo and cress with 2 buttered Ryvitas. Have a great day everyone :happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Took my insulin 35 minutes before eating this morning - pushing it well back from the time I was advised by diabetic nurse - just an experiment. Breakfast - a ham sandwich using white bread - must make some wholemeal today. One hour after the sandwich BG was 6.6. Will see how that goes.

2nd meal will be lamb and mushrooms with some added fried onions and some spices - all reheated in butter. Probably needs some other veg with it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that's odd. BG dropped as far as 5.0 by early afternoon and started to rise again to 6.4 by the time I was cooking my 2nd meal - late afternoon. I took another dose of insulin - reduced this time and intended to eat after half an hour but my dishwasher broke down. I didn't even notice, but Neil did, so of course, it had to be pulled out and examined. It took 3/4 hour before he could put it back in - even he's not sure what he did, but it's going just now. So I ate my meal 3/4 hour after dosing, by which time my BG had dropped to 4.0. It is currently still dropping and is at 3..4 despite 2 boiled sweets and some bread. I guess there is something in this timing business after all - just a matter of getting it right.

For that meal I fried a small sliced onion and some garlic, added the lamb and the mushrooms along with some garden peas (frozen) and a large spoonful of the courgette and mustard thingy I made a few days back and some paprika. I added some slices of potato as well which were sprouting in the cupboard, so I'd sauteed them to use them up. Tasted good and the potato should have been enough to keep BG up, but it wasn't.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: Brie sandwiches made with LC bread and a smudge of onion chutney with coleslaw and a couple of baby tomatoes followed by DGF choc brownie and clotted cream.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that's odd. BG dropped as far as 5.0 by early afternoon and started to rise again to 6.4 by the time I was cooking my 2nd meal - late afternoon. I took another dose of insulin - reduced this time and intended to eat after half an hour but my dishwasher broke down. I didn't even notice, but Neil did, so of course, it had to be pulled out and examined. It took 3/4 hour before he could put it back in - even he's not sure what he did, but it's going just now. So I ate my meal 3/4 hour after dosing, by which time my BG had dropped to 4.0. It is currently still dropping and is at 3..4 despite 2 boiled sweets and some bread. I guess there is something in this timing business after all - just a matter of getting it right.

For that meal I fried a small sliced onion and some garlic, added the lamb and the mushrooms along with some garden peas (frozen) and a large spoonful of the courgette and mustard thingy I made a few days back and some paprika. I added some slices of potato as well which were sprouting in the cupboard, so I'd sauteed them to use them up. Tasted good and the potato should have been enough to keep BG up, but it wasn't.

Have u tried make baba ghanoush with the courgette.

Great taste really

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 Wolf looks so cosy and warm, great photo.
@MrsA2 hugs - we’ve all done things like that, don’t dwell on it and let it throw you off track though. Just enjoy your weekend with your visitors.
No particular mealtimes today, I just ate when the opportunity arose
Lc roll, ham, smoked cheese, lettuce&mayo
2 strawberries
Pack of M&S herb marinated chicken skewers ( part of the 3 for £7 deli deal)
DGF cake
Made venison ragu for dinner but wasn’t very hungry so had a couple of slices of cheese and some sauerkraut.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have u tried make baba ghanoush with the courgette.

Great taste really
Yes. I have made Baba Ganoush in the past and had planned to make it this time, but at the last minute I decided to make Imam Bayaldi. Have you tried that - it's very good.

Edited to fix typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Preparing for providing for 8 or 10 adults and 8 or 9 children is proving testing. I used to do it often and easily, but not since my diagnosis and low carbing, or since lockdown.

B: yoghurt with seeds and 1 strawberry.
Then started cooking. Aware I was tempted by sugar I had more yoghurt hoping being full would help, but no, had far far too many tastes of proper cake batter and icing, interspersed with too many brazil nuts.
Tried off setting it by skipping lunch, then gardened most of the afternoon.
The hubby suggested local pub being Friday.
Knowing they don't do food I took seedy crackers and cheese which was just as well as had 2 glasses white wine.
1 small slice of pizza when home, added extra cheese and meat, hoping to offset.

Not a good day, carb wise.
As @DJC3 says, trying to enjoy weekend, but not liking that I can't seem to say no to the sugar or carbs, and there's more to come with first visitors arriving tomorrow and the rest on Sunday. Thank heaven birthdays only come once a year!

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I have made Baba Ganoush in the past and had planned to make it this time, but at the last minute I decided to make Imam Bayaldi. Have you tried that - it's very good.

Edited to fix typo.
actually, I have not tried it but we make a very similar dish.

with/ without meat.

something look like we call it Al-mosaga'a
78-230214-chopped-meat_700x400.jpeg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been off the low carb and have eaten a lot of junk food, as I have been bleeding a fair bit from my insides,when something caused my probs last week. The new tablets my GP gave me are starting to stop the bleeds from the polyp gradually.

So normal breakfast for the last few days bacon and eggs etc.
Not much for smoko, except osmolax in both cordial and a double scoop in my water bottle.
My partner picked up some 1 kg containers of spag bol and beef casserole from Woolies so have been eating them mainly for lunch and supper at six.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/...hs-spaghetti-bolognese-bolognese-chilled-meal
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/824696/woolworths-beef-casserole-chilled-meal

Reactions: DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner snuck an order into the ginger factory last week, came in the post yesterday Friday.

It's not low carb but ginger is a old remedy for soothing crooks guts, the choco late is a bit on the sweet side compared to chocolate macadamias.

Makes a nice snack when watching Prime.

gpbspKg.jpg

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
@Riva_Roxaban hope you feel better soon and get yourself back on the low carb horse.
Bit late posting for yesterday's food.
1000hrs breakfast, scrambled eggs with chorizo bits through it and bacon
1200hrs lunch, tuna and cheese salad
2030hrs dinner but late as in work, homemade steak, pork and chorizo stirfry

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
actually, I have not tried it but we make a very similar dish.

with/ without meat.

something look like we call it Al-mosaga'a
78-230214-chopped-meat_700x400.jpeg

Just looked that up on the internet. I'll try that one - looks good. A bit like moussaka but simpler. Next time I get some aubergine, that's what I'll make.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
b: fruit with porridge

lunch: grilled chicken with baba ghanough +bread

had hypo again treated it then went high :banghead:

D: Shakshuka (look it up :happy:) + bread

It's like the Mexican dish "huevas rancheros" - great breakfast dish. Great lunch dish. Great supper dish. I make it once in a while but without the bread. In fact, I may make something like it but with the lamb stew I made a couple of days ago as the base. Looking forward to that. I was wondering what to have for breakfast so now I know.

And later I will l have smoked salmon with some salad - not sure what I have in the fridge for that - some cucumber and some tomato, I know, some spring onions, I think and Neil did come home with some radishes - a vegetable I've never liked, but I'll try it in the salad. Might make some cole slaw, but it's not something I'm fond of.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you need
Eggs
Tomatoes
Onion
Spices
Olive oil

I make it like this.

Preheat olive oil

Then put one onion until it turn brown
Put Tomatoes with specie and salt and (if you like Tomato sauce).

Let them cooked for a while

Then put the egg.

Reactions: Antje77 and Annb