What’s happened to the forum?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We now appear to have type and medication information under avatars, THANK YOU!
The display seems to have changed again slightly with greys used for menu headers. They seem a bit light for me - perhaps a little darker shade?
I don't have that information under avatars.

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Thats more like it. I think the information is possibly more than what we need, i.e treatment tablets(... is better than nothing, but is truncated, The medication is more useful, and again is truncated. I think at Avatar level all we need is type. and the rest could be in the profile info.
Where are you seeing this? Is it in one particular mode?

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have changed to unx mode and can see the type and meds. However, where are my bell for post notification and the envelope for message?

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have changed to unx mode and can see the type and meds. However, where are my bell for post notification and the envelope for message?
I'm just on the default mode. The bell and envelope are up next to my name on the header

Attachments

• dcuk.jpg
    dcuk.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 51

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Ooh types back yea!!!! I was really wondering if I had hit a weird key somewhere. Right in the middle of typing my letters got smaller and paler. I enlarged the letters, but I really would prefer the letters to be a little darker and bolder???? I was going to post did I hit something on my computer or was something changed???

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please could you tell me how to turn off the flashing green circles that have appeared next to some people's names. Sorry to ask, but they're giving me a migraine.
I expect they show people who are online, which is useful, but the flashes aren't needed, a green dot would do the job just as well.
Let's hope the tech team will change this shortly!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there & done similar stuff of a "how to" for work, be reluctant to do it alone, very happy for others to take that on...:happy:

But however, willing to be part of a group, building such a tool , if web god's, admins, aren't already on the case, AND no one else is going alone sorting it .

If others feel they could help in a similar way, I'd be happy to contribute .
This sounds like a brilliant idea!

We do have the old instructional videos (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/) but they are pretty much outdated after the last forum update.
Making new videos would be very hard, short term, but a sticky thread in Greetings and Introductions outlining the way the forum works should be doable and very useful! :)

Making this thread with a group of people who are both very familiar with the forum and have experience with this kind of stuff makes a lot of sense, and we could do is a lot better and quicker using the knowledge and experience of people who are good at this, and not just trying to do it within the mod team.

@jjraak , would you be willing to set up a working thread in General Chat where everyone who wants to can help building a 'How to forum manual'?
I'd be happy to be part of the group (even though I fear I'm a tad too disorganised to write such a manual myself, I'm sure I can be of help), and I think @KennyA would be very good at this.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please please don't do the instructional videos as a sole source of information, because it's very hard for me (possibly more than just me) to remember the instruction, go away from the video and take it to the rest of the Board, my computer doesn't do sound (and yes: there is a hopper for the coal) and my brain, while formidable in its own way, does not translate footage but is very good at reading instructions.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please please don't do the instructional videos as a sole source of information, because it's very hard for me (possibly more than just me) to remember the instruction, go away from the video and take it to the rest of the Board, my computer doesn't do sound (and yes: there is a hopper for the coal) and my brain, while formidable in its own way, does not translate footage but is very good at reading instructions.
Fear not, I'm definitely not doing instruction videos, my brain is wired in the same way as yours!
Still, I hope that at some point in the future someone will do new videos, as many people are good at processing visual information. Plus, in a video you can show people what happens if you hit a particular button. :)

But first, let's try to make a written guide!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. Thats more like it. I think the information is possibly more than what we need, i.e treatment tablets(... is better than nothing, but is truncated, The medication is more useful, and again is truncated. I think at Avatar level all we need is type. and the rest could be in the profile info.
Yet diabetic type not appearing on mine :( *

Just to prove the point, that we may need to wait until their forum work is all done :cool:

*Tech/access mode/theme specific/ yada yada...;)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds like a brilliant idea!

We do have the old instructional videos (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/) but they are pretty much outdated after the last forum update.
Making new videos would be very hard, short term, but a sticky thread in Greetings and Introductions outlining the way the forum works should be doable and very useful! :)

Making this thread with a group of people who are both very familiar with the forum and have experience with this kind of stuff makes a lot of sense, and we could do is a lot better and quicker using the knowledge and experience of people who are good at this, and not just trying to do it within the mod team.

@jjraak , would you be willing to set up a working thread in General Chat where everyone who wants to can help building a 'How to forum manual'?
I'd be happy to be part of the group (even though I fear I'm a tad too disorganised to write such a manual myself, I'm sure I can be of help), and I think @KennyA would be very good at this.
Thank you for the confidence & support of idea :)

Sadly due to personal issues, I wouldn't be of much use, ( anxiety issues since accident.
Sounds petty, but just the thought had my mind racing :sorry:)

But I would be more then happy with a less anxious role contributing & supporting someone.or group.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type under you has since appeared since you posted @jjraak or you are not seeing it under some setting or device you are using?
Thank you, @Marie 2

I didn't do an extensive check, hence the posts points I made .

I used DARK theme.
On Android phone
Accessing the web not the app.

I get "type of diabetes....."

.......Omg....... TELL ME :wideyed:

Which as has been pointed out is less then useful.

Which your very question itself, points to the myriad of issues trying to help others

Do appreciate the thoughtful post, tho :)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, @Marie 2

I didn't do an extensive check, hence the posts points I made .

I used DARK theme.
On Android phone
Accessing the web not the app.

I get "type of diabetes....."

.......Omg TELL ME :wideyed:

Which as has been pointed out is less then useful.

Which your very question itself, points to the myriad of issues trying to help others

Do appreciate the thoughtful post, tho :)
I find the trouble being that when I have "medium" font size I get the first but when I go "large" font size I get the second. Which is less than optimal.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 13.26.59.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 13.26.59.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 13.27.48.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 13.27.48.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 49

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please could you tell me how to turn off the flashing green circles that have appeared next to some people's names. Sorry to ask, but they're giving me a migraine.
Under DARK theme, on Android & via the web age...I simply get a green 'headshot' outline to say who is online.

Must be annoyed to have it flashing.

Perhaps a case of waiting or using another theme until the forum changes settle down

Not the best I agree , but the best I can offer from here for the moment .

Reactions: Hopeful34

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find the trouble being that when I have "medium" font size I get the first but when I go "large" font size I get the second. Which is less than optimal.
Thank you @bulkbiker

I hadn't thought of that

Something else to be aware of, when trying to help.

Much appreciated.:)

EDIT
Spent a moment under blue theme, medium font.
Same result under DARK theme

Still can't see type on phone.
And can't read posts as clearly
So like You say, not optimal.

I'll just go back to large,,
and double click into profiles of those I need to check TYPE of, before posting .

Last edited: