Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well part of the approach was that though not a diabetic I and several members of the team have been on a low carb higher fat diet for over a year now and although I lost about four pounds (that I needed to loose )at the start my weight has been very stable ever since . For me the benefits have been loss of brain fog and a lot more energy
My husband is not diabetic but has joined me in the LCHF way of life. He only needed to lose one and a half stone. In 4 weeks, we have both lost 1 stone 2lbs. Can I ask, did any of your patients fluctuate in weight or have weeks where they gained then lost making therefore no progress? Can fluctuating weight be due to water retention? Are Puy lentils acceptable on LCHF?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks it was actually published in paper form today - I am negotiating for open access for you all, it would give you something to show your health care professionals and includes a diet sheet for discussion
You are a total superstar! My DN has referred me to the hospital as I insisted on low carving. Apparently my weight olds is due to the diabetes not my diet. Lol!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I've been low carbing for 5 days, my average daily BG has gone from 9.4 (on my DSN recommended diet) to 6.2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
My DN was shocked at my control andit. l will show her the paperwork if we can print
ln the yr the desmond courses have been in the area she has sent noone except me. Everyone else refuses to change diet apparently.
If as many people/yr are being diagnosed let alone those diagnosed whenever going in for checks, then that will be an enormous chunk of people who will basically be the problem that are causing us a problem.

I would say we may number in the thousands between those who read and post or read only or people who dont come here but somehow ended up using diet mainly LCHF (as that seems to be the sticking point) but even other eating plans We are still very much a unique minority.

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you just put up the diet sheet if you can't get the paper up, that would be good to see.
Yes good idea here it is -notice is mentions all you good folk on this blog
So what should I eat to control type 2 Diabetes? For discussion with Health Care Professional

Reduce starchy carbs a lot, if possible cut out the ‘White Stuff’ like bread, pasta, rice --though porridge, new potatoes and oat cakes in moderation may be fine. Sugar -cut it out altogether, although it will be in the blueberries strawberries and raspberries you are allowed to eat freely. Cakes and biscuits are a mixture of sugar and starch that make it almost impossible to avoid food cravings; -they just make you hungrier!! Increase healthy fats as they keep you full for longer and are fuel.

All green veg/salads are fine- eat as much as you can, So that you still eat a good big dinner try substituting veg such as broccoli ,courgettes or green beans for your mash pasta or rice- still covering them with your gravy ,bolognaise or curry ! Tip try home-made soup it can be taken to work for lunch and microwaved. Mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions can be included in this.

Fruit is trickier; some have too much sugar in and can set those carb cravings off. All berries are great and can be eaten freely; blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples & pears too, but not tropical fruits like bananas, oranges, grapes, mangoes or pineapples.

Proteins such as in meat, eggs, fish- particularly oily fish such as salmon, mackerel or tuna are fine and can be eaten freely. Plain full fat yoghurt makes a good breakfast with the berries. Processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages or salami are not as healthy and should only be eaten in moderation

Fats (yes some fats can be fine in moderation) olive oil is very useful, butter may be tastier than margarine and could be better for you!, coconut oil - great for stir fries. Four essential vitamins A, D, E&K are only found in some fats or oils. Try full-fat mayo or pesto. Avoid margarine, corn oil and vegetable oils.

Cheese only in moderation- it’s a very calorific mixture of fat, carbs and protein.

Snacks Avoid, but un-salted nuts such as almonds or walnuts are great to stave off hunger. A hard-boiled egg is another idea. The occasional treat of strong dark chocolate 70% or more in small quantity is allowed
EATING LOTS OF VEG WITH PROTEIN AND FATS LEAVES YOU PROPERLY FULL in a way that lasts.

Finally about sweeteners and what to drink –sweeteners have been proven to tease your brain into being even more hungry making weight loss almost impossible -drink tea, coffee, and water or herb teas. I'm afraid alcoholic drinks are full of carbohydrate- for example beer is almost 'liquid toast' hence the beer belly!! Perhaps the odd glass of red wine wouldn't be too bad if it doesn't make you get hungry afterwards- or just plain water with a slice of lemon.

Where to get more info ?
A book – ‘Escape the diet trap’ by Dr John Briffa - Well researched and easy to read.
Internet - Google 'about.com low carb diet' for loads more info and recipes or look into the closely related PALEO DIET, also Google ‘diabetes.co.uk forum low carb’ for contact, recipes and hints

Reactions: 13 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes good idea here it is -notice is mentions all you good folk on this blog
So what should I eat to control type 2 Diabetes? For discussion with Health Care Professional

Reduce starchy carbs a lot, if possible cut out the ‘White Stuff’ like bread, pasta, rice --though porridge, new potatoes and oat cakes in moderation may be fine. Sugar -cut it out altogether, although it will be in the blueberries strawberries and raspberries you are allowed to eat freely. Cakes and biscuits are a mixture of sugar and starch that make it almost impossible to avoid food cravings; -they just make you hungrier!! Increase healthy fats as they keep you full for longer and are fuel.

All green veg/salads are fine- eat as much as you can, So that you still eat a good big dinner try substituting veg such as broccoli ,courgettes or green beans for your mash pasta or rice- still covering them with your gravy ,bolognaise or curry ! Tip try home-made soup it can be taken to work for lunch and microwaved. Mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions can be included in this.

Fruit is trickier; some have too much sugar in and can set those carb cravings off. All berries are great and can be eaten freely; blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples & pears too, but not tropical fruits like bananas, oranges, grapes, mangoes or pineapples.

Proteins such as in meat, eggs, fish- particularly oily fish such as salmon, mackerel or tuna are fine and can be eaten freely. Plain full fat yoghurt makes a good breakfast with the berries. Processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages or salami are not as healthy and should only be eaten in moderation

Fats (yes some fats can be fine in moderation) olive oil is very useful, butter may be tastier than margarine and could be better for you!, coconut oil - great for stir fries. Four essential vitamins A, D, E&K are only found in some fats or oils. Try full-fat mayo or pesto. Avoid margarine, corn oil and vegetable oils.

Cheese only in moderation- it’s a very calorific mixture of fat, carbs and protein.

Snacks Avoid, but un-salted nuts such as almonds or walnuts are great to stave off hunger. A hard-boiled egg is another idea. The occasional treat of strong dark chocolate 70% or more in small quantity is allowed
EATING LOTS OF VEG WITH PROTEIN AND FATS LEAVES YOU PROPERLY FULL in a way that lasts.

Finally about sweeteners and what to drink –sweeteners have been proven to tease your brain into being even more hungry making weight loss almost impossible -drink tea, coffee, and water or herb teas. I'm afraid alcoholic drinks are full of carbohydrate- for example beer is almost 'liquid toast' hence the beer belly!! Perhaps the odd glass of red wine wouldn't be too bad if it doesn't make you get hungry afterwards- or just plain water with a slice of lemon.

Where to get more info ?
A book – ‘Escape the diet trap’ by Dr John Briffa - Well researched and easy to read.
Internet - Google 'about.com low carb diet' for loads more info and recipes or look into the closely related PALEO DIET, also Google ‘diabetes.co.uk forum low carb’ for contact, recipes and hints

I don't think that's a lot different to my diet.

Maybe not the big dinner, as I targeted weight loss by portion controlled food, so don't enjoy a big plate anymore.
I found the thickeners in gravy can be variable though.
I prefer low fat yoghurt, and make my own, so I know it's got no added sugar.
Agree with you on alcohol and cheese, and processed meats.
What's your opinion on rice bran oil, as I still intend to avoid saturated fats, even now I have re-introduced a few to balance the calories and keep the weight stable?
Are beans allowed in your diet, or basmati rice?

Is this a diet you recommend for life, or would you re-assess it after a set period?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm fine tuning my diet at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't think that's a lot different to my diet.

Maybe not the big dinner, as I targeted weight loss by portion controlled food, so don't enjoy a big plate anymore.
I found the thickeners in gravy can be variable though.
I prefer low fat yoghurt, and make my own, so I know it's got no added sugar.
Agree with you on alcohol and cheese, and processed meats.
What's your opinion on rice bran oil, as I still intend to avoid saturated fats, even now I have re-introduced a few to balance the calories and keep the weight stable?
Are beans allowed in your diet, or basmati rice?

Is this a diet you recommend for life, or would you re-assess it after a set period?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm fine tuning my diet at the moment.
Our yoghurt maker has paid for itself several times over -though it contains more sugar than one might expect so portion size is an issue for some
Suspect beans and basmati rice a bit carbi though green beans fine
Sorry don't know about the rice bran oil -can anyone else advise ??

Mushroom

'Viv's Modified Atkins Diet' thread has been running on here for since Jan 2011. Gives a similar list of foods as yours. I used this when I first started LCHF. And yes .......... I believe butter is better for you than margarine.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
'Viv's Modified Atkins Diet' thread has been running on here for since Jan 2011. Gives a similar list of foods as yours. I used this when I first started LCHF. And yes .......... I believe butter is better for you than margarine.

yup once you eat butter theres not mushroom in your life for margarine....( :hilarious: i crack me up)

Reactions: 8 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Our yoghurt maker has paid for itself several times over -though it contains more sugar than one might expect so portion size is an issue for some
Suspect beans and basmati rice a bit carbi though green beans fine
Sorry don't know about the rice bran oil -can anyone else advise ??

If you're advising that fats are ok in moderation, as with cheese,

"Fats (yes some fats can be fine in moderation) olive oil is very useful, butter may be tastier than margarine and could be better for you!, coconut oil - great for stir fries. Four essential vitamins A, D, E&K are only found in some fats or oils. Try full-fat mayo or pesto. Avoid margarine, corn oil and vegetable oils.
Cheese only in moderation- it’s a very calorific mixture of fat, carbs and protein."

How do you advise on cream and milk?
Olive oil, mayo, pesto, all mainly unsaturated fats, or contain unsaturated fats, any comment on saturated/unsaturated for preference?

Do you have any recommendation as to what ration of calories you would suggest your patients had from carbs/fats/proteins?

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
The way I read this... It is more low calorie than low carb. Reduced carbs, more veg and fats in moderation. Avoid the starchy carbs

I must be missing something as it just sounds like a regular weight loss diet?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The way I read this... It is more low calorie than low carb. Reduced carbs, more veg and fats in moderation. Avoid the starchy carbs

I think it's an interesting topic, but as to the diet, I'm ok with the porridge, and do eat oat cakes, but tend to avoid potatoes, as they spike me,
Southport GP, do you provide meters and strips so your patients can test?

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

The interesting thing is that we were not strict about how the participants interpreted the diet as long as sugar and starchy carbs were cut back way back There was no weighing of portions but we spent time educating people about how much sugar was in different foods and left them to work it out so it would fit in with their lives For them as you see it was a weight loss diet for which they are grateful but I have been on my interpretation of the diet for 15 months and my weight is exactly the same as when I began -I just have more energy and( I hope) a clearer mind

Reactions: 6 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think it's an interesting topic, but as to the diet, I'm ok with the porridge, and do eat oat cakes, but tend to avoid potatoes, as they spike me,
Southport GP, do you provide meters and strips so your patients can test?
there are pros and cons to this Many folk learn lots from their tests and then don't need to test so often but others make themselves anxious by worrying about what their glucose is all day and end up testing more and more becoming confused by what is happening and why I don't remember refusing strips but I suppose if someone was using loads I might enquire about it

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So
What's the answer?
I must admit, I don't actually have any clear picture here?
Strips, no strips?
high fat, low fat, medium fat?
Low carb, medium carb, less than 150g, potatoes, porridge?
I'm trying to change my diet, and looking for a clear answer, but I guess anything from my current diet, to a strict low carb appears to fit. (apart from your recommendation for potatoes for me)

But it is good to see other HCP's coming on board with my local ones, as far as diet goes, as you seem to be in line with my dietician. Others don't seem to be as good, from posts on here.

I think my 33% calories of each of carbs, fat, protein seems to fit your profile, and is the way to go for me.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
The interesting thing is that we were not strict about how the participants interpreted the diet as long as sugar and starchy carbs were cut back way back There was no weighing of portions but we spent time educating people about how much sugar was in different foods and left them to work it out so it would fit in with their lives For them as you see it was a weight loss diet for which they are grateful but I have been on my interpretation of the diet for 15 months and my weight is exactly the same as when I began -I just have more energy and( I hope) a clearer mind

So nothing new just exactly what I had on the Desmond

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Interesting diet suggestions and almost identical to the diet that I have eaten for the last 5 years and one that has brought my bg down from 29 mmol/L and an hba1c of 12.6% to 5 years of hba1c's in the 5%'s. And I also lost 4 stone in the first year although I was much stricter then and drank little or no alcohol and no more than 60 to 80g of carbs, then I relaxed my diet to the one you have outlined above and have lost another stone over the last four years. :)

The only differences that I see between your diet suggestions and my diet are that I dont eat enough oily fish as frankly I dont like it, when I saw a dietician she made the same comment but its hard to change your diet to include things you dont like.

The other differences are that I do eat small portions of basmati rice which due to its molecular structure and unlike other types of rice is extremely difficult for the human stomach to break down into glucose so a couple of spoonfuls has little or no effect on my bg levels. I also eat small oranges and the occasional non ripe banana too. Everything else though is as I eat and have eaten for the last 5 years.

I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised as when you first posted here I was unsure of you both as a doctor and about the advice you were proposing as this forum has seen more than its fair share of low carb trouble makers over the years hence the troll remark and yet you are now advising an almost identical diet to the one I have eaten successfully for the last 5 years.

By the way I apologise for the troll remark,I believed you to be not what you seemed as I said before this forum has seen many low carb trolls over the 5 years since Ive been a member here.

I wish you luck for the future and for your patients futures too and for the award that you have been nominated for also.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also find quinoa and bulgur wheat, as well as basmati rice are ok.
I also wish you well with your patients and for the award that you have been nominated for.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Good grief looks like there is nearly a concensus of opinion with all sides claiming its the diet they've followed for years. Good stuff.

The diet is just missing two key ingredients, lard and low fat yoghurt :)