What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@hankjam So, apologies if you are sick of telling people, but how do you do your peanut butter chia coffee thang?
@Brunneria never a problem to share food items for me.
I get 4-5 scoops of coffee beans, grind them quite fine, it's about 40-50 gms. Filter paper and nearly boiling water and make about 500-600 mls of coffee, flavour rather than strength.
While the coffee is cooling...
60g chia seeds, mix with 30 g cocoa and 60 g no added sugar peanut butter, then add slowlyish the coolish coffee and mix and pop in fridge over night and mix again before using.
Tend to use two spoons to get the peanut butter transferred and mixed.
I'm not too keen on artificial sweeteners, hence fruit and some nuts of choice
Hj

Reactions: 14 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria never a problem to share food items for me.
I get 4-5 scoops of coffee beans, grind them quite fine, it's about 40-50 gms. Filter paper and nearly boiling water and make about 500-600 mls of coffee, flavour rather than strength.
While the coffee is cooling...
60g chia seeds, mix with 30 g cocoa and 60 g no added sugar peanut butter, then add slowlyish the coolish coffee and mix and pop in fridge over night and mix again before using.
Tend to use two spoons to get the peanut butter transferred and mixed.
I'm not too keen on artificial sweeteners, hence fruit and some nuts of choice
Hj

Hankjam, that is a process alright. Is the concoction 'wiggly' in the morning? It is midnight and my descriptive skills are basic at the best of times....

I have just finished a jar of peanut butter. Literally eating from the jar, only a spoonful (L) at a time. Promise.

Reactions: 9 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - pancakes with choc sauce
L - chicken salad
Snack of a bag of pork scratchings when I got home from work
D - lamb and Rosemary burger thing with fried in butter leeks and courgettes.
Pudding was some Greek yogurt mixed up with blueberries and some almond bark

Reactions: 10 people

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
B. lidl protein roll,ham 30g ,cheese 20g carbs 10.7 ,cals 361
plan on
l.whitefish 100g, califlour 80g,mushrooms 100g, swede 100g = 3.9 carbs,127 cals
s.chicken breast 100g,,califlour 80g,carrots 100g,swede 100g = carbs 8.8, cals 165

Reactions: 8 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was:
B: 2 slices coconut flour / flax bread, 1 with almond butter, 1 with Brussels pate
S: 2 squares Tesco 85% chocolate (during the dog walk)
L: Avocado & chicken salad
D: Liver & bacon with cheesy broccoli, fat bomb & blueberries

Today:
B: Scrambled eggs & smoked salmon, 2 slices courgette bread with almond butter
S: chocolate as above
L: Avocado & ham salad with stuffed olives, blueberries & cream
S: Will have a chunk of cheese as about to start work in the garden
D: Going to have cream of kale soup, 2 x 97% sausages & broccoli

Reactions: 4 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooo that looks goood! On my list for today. Thanks for the tip.

Edit to add: 4.6g of Carbs per 100g!!! And all that fat.... I am buying jars of the stuff. Hehehe.
Yes looks worth a try - not available in my Tesco right now.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hankjam, that is a process alright. Is the concoction 'wiggly' in the morning? It is midnight and my descriptive skills are basic at the best of times....

I have just finished a jar of peanut butter. Literally eating from the jar, only a spoonful (L) at a time. Promise.

It is like a firm yogurt.
I took some to work and my line manager was not at all impressed.... tapioca was texture... my people at work think I eat the strangest things.... more fool them.
If it is too set, just add a bit more water to loosen.
Hj

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
The best tips I have ever seen for re-entering LC are these:

Don't expect it to be as bad, this time round - your body remembers and re-entry is always easier
Drink more water than you think you need
Take the extra salt (broth, bovril, salt on food) from the start, don't wait til you feel droopy and limp to do it.
Eat enough fat to prevent hunger - if that means a coffee with cream several times a day, then so be it
Wait til the carb cravings subside before you start cutting down calories or food intake (for those who want to lose weight)

There, the secrets of LC in 5 easy steps lol.
Can you tell I've been on and off the wagon a few times?

Of them all, I personally find no 4 (eating enough fat to avoid hunger) the most important. It kills the cravings. But maybe that is just me...
...You are absolutely spot on, as usual, B.... but I find No 4 the hardest because, unless I have lovely fat-bombs in the fridge, I find it difficult to get enough fat some days... :) sounds silly, doesn't it? Susi...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi Everyone,

I hope your all feeling great and enjoying your summer, as it's Winter here and the last few days have been the coldest on record, for over a decade, so nobodies use to it and their all feeling it. Anyway take care everyone and enjoy each day as it comes.

Prior 5:45 hrs, 10.2
Breakfast: 2 Soft Boiled Eggs and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
After 07:15 hrs, 11.4

Lunch: Just a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar

Dinner: Steamed Fillet of Fish with Blanched Baby Beans with some Butter and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
After: 20:00 hrs, 11.5, Didn't test prior to dinner but I maybe should of, (Will From Here On)

Stemar, (Downunder)
Hiya Stemar... I hope you're keeping warm enough.... socks on your feet is a good thing when you're a diabetic!! :) It is around 47 here today, but I still have slippers on - the a/c is freezing them! Your day sounds perfect.... except for the sugar in your drinks? Can't you find a sweetener that you like? Or cut it out altogether? Have you tried the One Minute Microwave Muffin recipes? You can make yourself a bun to go with your lovely soft-boiled eggs... :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't you just love low carb! Bacon and two fried eggs for lunch - prelunch 5.5 and at two hours 5.4!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B: Pancetta omelette
S: Chunk of cheese while I walked the dog
L: Mixed salad with oil and balsamic dressing, cheddar & Brussels pate, stewed rhubarb & cream
D: Liver& bacon with buttered tender stem broccoli, sugar fee jelly & cream

2 stone lost since I started LCHF nearly 9 weeks ago. Need to stop losing now but enjoying my food and feeling full most of the time. Any tips for stabilising welcome!

Well done!! Brilliant... such good news... you must be proud of yourself... Maybe you will stabilise without doing anything? Are you on meds? Maybe you need to make a few almond cakes too!! :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I started eating an avocado a day... loads of cals and lots of fat and not filling.... toms and olive oil with a bit of garlic/chilli for snap is all you need...
Sounds perfect to me.. :) I don't have that problem - I seem to stay the same, even though I'd like to lose another kilo... maybe I need to stop making almond cakes! :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Some Yirgacheffe. Followed by a gorgeous Columbian (NOT Sofia Vergara).
Last of the Lamb Broth.
My cholesterol levels have absolutely gone to hell. Cardiologist has been up my **** for months about exercise which should help bring it down. Also, my peanut binge is about to make a comeback so in response I am planning to buy a cheap dehydrator. this munching is just a bad habit so maybe zucchini or kale crisps would be much less damaging...
& A1C came back at 5.6 or 37mmol.
I thought they'd announced in the States that they cannot find a link between 'cholesterol' and heart disease? Why would your guy be moaning at you then? What are your trigs? Mine have gone to 0.35!! Can you imagine? :) They say your readings go nuts for the first 6 months or so though...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi everyone
I've been a lurker for a while but only now getting the hang of this low carb malarkey. So here's my food of today:
So onto what I ate today:

Breakfast: chilled chia porridge

1 Dsp Chia Seeds
1/2 cup Almond Milk
1 tsp Coconut Butter
1 tsp passion fruit seeds

Lunch: Mackerel n Sprout salad

Mung bean sprout salad, with cucmber and spinach leaves and torn seaweed sheet.
3inch piece od Smoked Mackerel
1 dsp Mayonnaise (mmmm).

Dinner: Steak n Veg One-pan-wonder

Organic Sirloin steak (reducies from supermarket, don't know how organic it can be after x amount of time in plastic wrap under lights 24/7 but still)
Sautéed veg - Okra, peppers and courgette, onion, garlic.
Butter
Coconut oil
Rasul- hanou (sp?)
Chilli flakes.

If I need a snack later, I'll have a spoonful of Almond butter (no added anything) on a butter spread rice cake.

Thank you all for your contributions, been a life saver...errr literally. X
Welcome... you seem to be doing very well.... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow just reading this thread is teaching me more than any books or apps - to see what people really are eating is fantastic, still floundering around
Hi PaH... we all floundered for a long time too... :) You'll be fine...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you or have you continued testing beyond the 2 hour point? For me pasta is a long, slow, creep upwards to a not tooo shabby place, but then it lingers there for ages.

It must be almost a year since I tried it, so maybe I need to have another go, but I don't miss it one bit, so probably won't bother.
Hi AB... that's good thinking... I don't miss pasta at all, and eat spaghetti squash or pappardelle made from courgettes, but I might keep testing on other things.... I don't eat a lot that I shouldn't, but now and again.... too much almond cake is my downfall....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday startef so well and ended up grazing....

So this morning I woke up starving... forgot to test fasting BG.

Experimental Breakfast:
Dandelion coffee with coconut milk (koko one) vanilla extract and tsp of butter whisked up. (I can imagine real coffee, cream with vanilla extract would be a dream, my version was alas a poor imitation)

HM coconut milk yoghurt which is really thin so kefir really, I used with some chia seeds and vanilla again. And tastes gooood.

S: boiled egg/mayo on rice cake.

Having lunch out, so let's see how that goes.
What a shame.... Why are you not drinking coffee with cream, or a Bullet Proof coffee? Are you allergic to caffeine? I would miss it more than anything and don't think I could actually give it up... :( I love chia pudding... I put a large tbsp of cacao powder, a couple of big dollops of coconut milk, left in the fridge it turns to cream somehow, and a dollop of cream.... I don't even seem to need much stevia...just a small sprinkle... I have to stop myself from eating the entire thing at one sitting.... lush...