What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I bought a kilo of powdered husks. Half a pint of water, 1 teaspoon of the husks stirred into it and then straight down my neck without delay. Then another half pint of water.

Why don't you add it to a lovely bread recipe? Ground almonds, coconut, little flax, little psyllium, egg, etc? You won't notice it and it gives lovely stability to your recipe... :)

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Yea I've been thinking about that and thought an emulsifier is required. So a bit of beaten egg poured into spiced and seasoned grated celeriac, a bit of thinly sliced onion. Mixed and shaped then pan fried in a OO/butter mix, might work???

Opps off topic again....

B: 500ml water.
chia, coconut milk, ground linseed, almond extract with crunched walnuts. Loving this breki for how easy and filling. Cracked 2 capsules of linseed oil into it as well.
This kept me going with no snacks for 4.5hrs!! Rushed to check BG and it was 5.4mmol/L

L: smoked herring in a home made tomato n veg sauce. With Chinese cabbage as wraps and a mixed pepper salad.

S: 1 tsp peanut butter with seeds

D: homemade 'slaw with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, leftover herring dish. 1 glass of white wine.

I didn't eat a lot today as I drank a lot more water than I usually do. So until my body gets used to being actually hydrated, I think my food intake will go down. Can't be a bad thing.

You are so good at preparing your food... :) Your worry about being off-piste makes me nervous... :eek:

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... L: not needed! ...

I'm still very new to being T2 and a low-carb diet, but had got the impression I wasn't meant to skip meals - that it should be small, regular meals. So what happens if you miss one out?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still very new to being T2 and a low-carb diet, but had got the impression I wasn't meant to skip meals - that it should be small, regular meals. So what happens if you miss one out?

My experience has been that, over nearly 2 years of very low carbing, my need to snack and eat regularly has just disappeared. It is very liberating.

But back in my 'low carb not enough fat days' i could never miss a meal, and had to snack regularly.

Reactions: 11 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Mini Baby Bel on rising, 4 x bacon & 2 eggs later
L: Homegrown broccoli & cauliflower cheese, sugar free jelly & cream
D: Avocado baked with tuna & cheese, side salad (quite large, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, olives, a couple of left over new potatoes and real mayonnaise !), wild raspberries & cream. The sun has finally come out in NE Scotland so the wild raspberries were lovely and sweet.
S: 2 squares 85% chocolate - just to make up my calories - honest!

Reactions: 6 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience has been that, over nearly 2 years of very low carbing, my need to snack and eat regularly has just disappeared. It is very liberating. But back in my 'low carb not enough fat days' i could never miss a meal, and had to snack regularly.

And nothing terrible happens with the BGLevels?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And nothing terrible happens with the BGLevels?

Nope.
I generally live in ketosis, which means that i dont have significant glycogen (glucose) stores in the liver. So if my bg dips a bit, my fuel is dietary or body fat, and my bg levels stay ok. Better in fact than when i eat carbs.

I had decades of fluctuating bg, including very inconvenient lows while i was moving through low carb to the point i am at now. My current lchf is the best (most stable) bg levels i have ever seen. My level rises a bit pre breakfast (that well known dawn phenomenon) to 6.5 to 7.5 then from breakfast onwards, my bg stays in the 5-6.5 range all day. If it rises higher, then i've eaten too many carbs.

A big protein breakfast (like yesterday), or a big meal like steak and salad will have my bg sitting in the low-mid 6s for hours. No need to eat or snack with that level.

Eventually i get hungry again, and that is the time to eat again.

I've never been a grazer. I find endless phaffing with tiddly little portions very irritating and a complete disrruption. Nowadays i usually eat 3 meals and no snacks (weekdays) or 2 meals and a snack (during the weekend). But nothing is set in stone.

Reactions: 11 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, could I ask approx how much fat do you like to eat per day... cause its usually put as 70% of your calories and thats way too technical for me. What I'm looking for is Xg of fat per Xstones.... am I asking too much?

G-C

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, could I ask approx how much fat do you like to eat per day... cause its usually put as 70% of your calories and thats way too technical for me. What I'm looking for is Xg of fat per Xstones.... am I asking too much?

G-C

No worries! But unfortunately, i cant tell you, because i never measure anything.
I tend to keep tight track of carbs, eat 'normal' protein portions and aim for a good non-starchy veg presence (my veg portions are enormous). Then i bung in fats until i feel satisfied. I definitely go by appetite, not idealised portion sizes.

I did track my intake for a few days on MyFitnessPal about 18 months ago (very tiresome) and i ended up at around 80% calories from fats, but it varied every day.

I will try and do portion sizes below, to give you an idea.

Today:

B: the big Costa Americano, which i then tipped one and a half of their tiddly little jugs of cream into. (I usually have a medium sized one, and in that case, a single mini jug of cream is enough.

L: half a Lidl high protein roll with two x 2mm thick slices of anchor butter (sliced off the end of a pat) on it. Smeared with marmite. And 2 x 97% meat sausages, which had been grilled, not fried.

D: a rare steak (8oz, approx), with salad, mayo (rounded tablespoon), and mushroom, peppers, onions (fried in the pan with coconut oil before i added the steak).

I'm now stuffed, and wont eat anything else until tomorrow.

The steak was a rare treat that MrB picked up, cos he's a steak man.

Reactions: 9 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Brunneria, I had typed out a whole thing then it said "you don't have enough privileges" or something like that. I was so disgusted and hungry that I switched it off. Now I've eaten, I can say I do the same...try to eat enough fat at my meals to prevent hunger and carb creep. Cause I can eat a lot.
So cheers I feel a bit better at my cobbled together LCHF diet that I have only read about on this forum.

B: running late so drank 500ml of water. Scooped peanut butter in a med sized stalk of celery and ate that on way to station.

L: ate at pret again as not organised enough to make a packed lunch, this time a no bread chicken and avocado salad a packet of crispy kale and a filter coffee.

S: mixed nuts and 750ml of water.

Pre BG: 4.7mmol/L thought I was way lower. Felt like it.
D: left over lamb stew, 1/2 a hankjam rosti and a maaahhhsive avocado n Chinese cabbage salad. With OO n lemon.

Phew all is right with my world...
Gonna water garden then drink the rest of days water. Happy days.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - half a lidl roll made into egg bread, bacon, mushrooms and scrambled egg
L - onion soup with some cheese in
Snack - pork crackling
D - steak with cheesy mushroom, onions and tomatoes, with 1/6 of a packet of chocolate jello

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely saturday...

FBG:5.6
B: nothing
L: green salad, cheddar cheese, cod fillet.
S: decaf latte (normal milk)
D: Nando's chicken thighs, halloumi cheese, portobello mushroom and green salad.

Reactions: 8 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody.
Although I started the day well with raspberries and Greek style yoghurt my food went down hill after that. I must do better tomorrow. I'm going to do a crust less quiche for dinner tomorrow.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: rasps, double cream and almonds
11:00 coffee, cheese and olives
L: cauliflower soup, haddock in breadcrumbs and salad, eating out
D: chicken and sage wrapped in prosciutto fried in small amount off OO, cabbage in a garlic OO dressing (baked) and runner beans..... adore runner beans and Tesco, may they rot in hell, don't sell them...... but Aldi do..... so huzza, straws and creame fraiche...

one glass of Massy Dacta or the Little Red Tractor as it is known in this house.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...8ucoTemEM:&usg=__Jz8k8ppzJqhxYYGDXMerfcERlDE=

Pre: 5.1

That's a hell of link!!

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Almond scones & goat’s cheese
L: Broccoli & olive frittata, almond cake, wild rasps & cream
S: Chunk of cheese on a break from gardening
D: Avocado & tuna salad, fat bomb with blueberries
S: 2 squares 85% chocolate

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..... fat bomb with blueberries ...

Can you explain? I'm too new to this to understand what that is.

Separate to that ... I do like the variety in this thread, the variety of what people really eat (as opposed to what you see listed in all those diet publications, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Why don't you add it to a lovely bread recipe? Ground almonds, coconut, little flax, little psyllium, egg, etc? You won't notice it and it gives lovely stability to your recipe... :)
I've never really been a big bread eater so I'm not missing it, but thank you.

This weekend I've been on a camping trip...
B - 4 bacon, babybel, avocado
L - KFC - my daily carb allowance in one fell swoop. A couple of hot wings, a fillet and a "original piece" comes to about 25g carb - it's a naughty holiday treat as long as you lay off the fries.
S - pork scratchings, avocado
D - rump tails, babybel. After all this talk of steaks, here's my butcher's offering. After he's got all the rump steaks he can from a big piece of cow, what's left is too small for a proper steak. He takes these, called rump tails, and hammers them flat. He then soaks them in a garlic & chilli oil and sells them or £1.70 each. Flash fry them on your campfire for a minute each side - I can't get enough of them.

I was very proud of myself - my daughter and other kids were toasting marshmallows over the campfire and I didn't eat a single one! (got pleasantly hammered on red wine instead)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never really been a big bread eater so I'm not missing it, but thank you.

This weekend I've been on a camping trip...
B - 4 bacon, babybel, avocado
L - KFC - my daily carb allowance in one fell swoop. A couple of hot wings, a fillet and a "original piece" comes to about 25g carb - it's a naughty holiday treat as long as you lay off the fires.
S - pork scratchings, avocado
D - rump tails, babybel. After all this talk of steaks, here's my butcher's offering. After he's got all the rump steaks he can from a big piece of cow, what's left is too small for a proper steak. He takes these, called rump tails, and hammers them flat. He then soaks them in a garlic & chilli oil and sells them or £1.70 each. Flash fry them on your campfire for a minute each side - I can't get enough of them.

I was very proud of myself - my daughter and other kids were toasting marshmallows over the campfire and I didn't eat a single one! (got pleasantly hammered on red wine instead)
rump tails and hammered on red wine..... what is not to like? :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
  • B: 6 loganberries picked when I got up + tablsp of full fat Greek yoghurt, cinnamon + 1 tablsp chia seeds soaked overnight in almond milk and cocoa
  • L: Leek unrolled and 6 strips steamed until soft, then used to build Leek Lasagne, with philly cheese, nutmeg and egg sauce alternated with a lentil and tomato sauce with herbs , onion and garlic, then baked off to finish and brown the crust. Green salad to go with. Then, rest of cocoa chia seeds with double cream, and a square of 85%.