What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Dude if I puke I'm blaming my gullibility on the fact this forum hasn't done me wrong. Yet.

Really, tablespoons?? :eek:
Buyer beware! But yes, honestly, tablespoons in the recipes I've read and copied.

Reactions: 5 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OMG - I can't imagine the day I'll be saying I don't want to lose any more weight! I'll be in my grave before then, I'm sure.
Hmmm, it's taken me about a year, give or take, to nearly reach my target weight. When I started LCHF, it was a leap of faith, and, like you say, I don't think I was able to imagine succeeding! The other day I actually caught myself thinking about a maintenance rather than a weight-loss strategy! Wonders will never cease!

Reactions: 9 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a recipe for cream of Kale soup? Sounds delicious.
Never use a recipe for soup, but I make mine by sautéing a chopped onion in butter, adding fresh kale leaves (take the stems out) and chicken broth. Cook for about 10 mins then blend. I keep some kale back to begin with and add more kale / broth depending on the consistency. I like mine thin. At one time I would have added milk at this point, but now I stir in a tablespoon of double cream before serving. I freeze in portions without the cream. This is a VERY green soup! I am having it often as the kale bed in the vegetable patch is producing better than ever and hasn’t been attacked by caterpillars this year.

Reactions: 8 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I've never really been a big bread eater so I'm not missing it, but thank you.

This weekend I've been on a camping trip...
B - 4 bacon, babybel, avocado
L - KFC - my daily carb allowance in one fell swoop. A couple of hot wings, a fillet and a "original piece" comes to about 25g carb - it's a naughty holiday treat as long as you lay off the fries.
S - pork scratchings, avocado
D - rump tails, babybel. After all this talk of steaks, here's my butcher's offering. After he's got all the rump steaks he can from a big piece of cow, what's left is too small for a proper steak. He takes these, called rump tails, and hammers them flat. He then soaks them in a garlic & chilli oil and sells them or £1.70 each. Flash fry them on your campfire for a minute each side - I can't get enough of them.

I was very proud of myself - my daughter and other kids were toasting marshmallows over the campfire and I didn't eat a single one! (got pleasantly hammered on red wine instead)

That all sounds like a lovely weekend and perfectly balanced :) and the rump tails sound amazing... Thank you for that... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Dude if I puke I'm blaming my gullibility on the fact this forum hasn't done me wrong. Yet.

Really, tablespoons?? :eek:

Truly.... it makes a creamy, lush coffee... :)

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
some folks use it as a meal substitute.... so it has to be packed with go juice.

I read a blog recently which added two egg-yolks, in case of emergency... being unable to find proper food all day... I tried it and it's lovely - very rich and sustaining... I have a wonderful Thermos from Lakeland, which will keep it warm for hours.... you wouldn't want to drink it cold... :spitoutdummy::)

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Makes sense the 'whipped' part now... ok. I will google this.
In a bit.
Honest.
Na I'll prob just do it....

It's lush, really... :) Everyone reacts like that at first... I put mine into my NutriBullet... done in seconds and really emulsified... it has to be or it splits... any blender will do - I imagine it would take ages with a whisk! I put egg yolks in if I know I can't get to food all day... it's very sustaining... :D

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was stuck for two days in Saudi Arabia, so I took crustless mini-quiches - made with mushroom, garlic, spinach and ham - with me in a tupperware and stashed them in the hotel fridge with some cacao fat-bombs... I have eaten nothing else for two days, so nothing much to report... :p
Today will be eggs and bacon and another Bullet Proof...
Chicken soup for lunch, made with stock from the poached chicken
I think I'll try Geoffers' rump tails for supper, with cauliflower cheese and green beans, followed by berries and cream...
Bullet Proof chocolate before bed...
That's the plan - it could go egg-shaped, it often does... :D Tomorrow will be chicken, ham, mushroom and leek pie with an almond crust I think...

Reactions: 7 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was stuck for two days in Saudi Arabia, so I took crustless mini-quiches - made with mushroom, garlic, spinach and ham - with me in a tupperware and stashed them in the hotel fridge with some cacao fat-bombs... I have eaten nothing else for two days, so nothing much to report... :p
I think I'll try Geoffers' rump tails for supper, with cauliflower cheese and green beans, followed by berries and cream...
That's the plan - it could go egg-shaped, it often does... :D Tomorrow will be chicken, ham, mushroom and leek pie with an almond crust I think...
Admiration for imaginative planning :)
I went to a country fair yesterday with a large tub of mixed salad, mostly from the veg plot at home, with cheese, a chicken quarter and some mayo. I got a few comments but usually the people I go with leave me alone. Everyone else had white bread sandwiches, crisps and cakes. There was nothing on any of the food stalls I could have eaten, not even the "healthy veggie" stall, because everything was mixed with sweetcorn, rice, pasta and unknown dressings. However the burger, bacon & egg bap stall had a notice saying anyone with special dietary needs should speak to the staff. I didn't inquire though.
In the produce tent there was a farmers' market banner saying potatoes are 1% sugar, but there was no one there to ask about that.

Reactions: 9 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nope.
I generally live in ketosis, which means that i dont have significant glycogen (glucose) stores in the liver. So if my bg dips a bit, my fuel is dietary or body fat, and my bg levels stay ok. Better in fact than when i eat carbs.

I had decades of fluctuating bg, including very inconvenient lows while i was moving through low carb to the point i am at now. My current lchf is the best (most stable) bg levels i have ever seen. My level rises a bit pre breakfast (that well known dawn phenomenon) to 6.5 to 7.5 then from breakfast onwards, my bg stays in the 5-6.5 range all day. If it rises higher, then i've eaten too many carbs.

A big protein breakfast (like yesterday), or a big meal like steak and salad will have my bg sitting in the low-mid 6s for hours. No need to eat or snack with that level.

Eventually i get hungry again, and that is the time to eat again.

I've never been a grazer. I find endless phaffing with tiddly little portions very irritating and a complete disrruption. Nowadays i usually eat 3 meals and no snacks (weekdays) or 2 meals and a snack (during the weekend). But nothing is set in stone.

Hi @Brunnaria,
Apologies for a question coming from left field here. Am I right in thinking that you have done various 'experiments' to reduce the effects of dawn phenomenon?
I've just been reading up about it again recently and wondered if you had ever tried tricking your body with the 'Cephalic Phase insulin release' - so the body's natural insulin response to the smell/appearance of food before it's even been eaten. If you feel like being a bit of a guinea pig (sorry for being so bold as to ask!:oops:) - I would be really interested to hear if smelling a jelly baby (or something super sweet) first thing in the morning curbs your BG rise.
I wanted to post the question to you directly, but I can't access your details. :( Sorry for throwing the thread off course everyone.x

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Brunnaria,
Apologies for a question coming from left field here. Am I right in thinking that you have done various 'experiments' to reduce the effects of dawn phenomenon?
I've just been reading up about it again recently and wondered if you had ever tried tricking your body with the 'Cephalic Phase insulin release' - so the body's natural insulin response to the smell/appearance of food before it's even been eaten. If you feel like being a bit of a guinea pig (sorry for being so bold as to ask!:oops:) - I would be really interested to hear if smelling a jelly baby (or something super sweet) first thing in the morning curbs your BG rise.
I wanted to post the question to you directly, but I can't access your details. :( Sorry for throwing the thread off course everyone.x

Oh wow that would be so hard. Smelling a jelly baby then putting it down! Ye gods, thats like trying to change the tides. No fair.
:(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Brunnaria,

That is fascinating.

Somewhat inadvertantly, my experimentation kicked off again recently. I decided to do my own DIY version of Interminttent Fasting, but without risking the chance of any of those nasty hunger pangs. So I eat lunch and evening meal, and 'fast' for the other 16-17 hours a day. Except that I can eat fat during the 'fast'. Essentially, this means that breakfast is a cup of coffee with a good slug of double cream, which lasts me til lunch. And if I get peckish late evening, I have a mug of broth, again with cream.

I started it in the hope of triggering further weight loss - which has worked like a charm - after a 8 month plateau.
But the additional side effect is that my DP has definitely reduced. By an average of 0,5-1 mmol/l every morning.
I am delighted.

I will however have a sniff ( ;) ) at your 'cephalic pase insulin release' and see if it looks like a possibility. Although, I must admit that my first reaction on reading your suggestion was to question your sanity. When, in the history of the world, has a jelly baby been that close to a human nose and mouth and lived to tell the tale? (or set aside for sniffing the next morning?) I mean, REALITY CHECK, please!

Will let you know if I try it though.

Reactions: 14 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The idea of the pie sounds lovely...

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. I've started fine today.
B. Raspberries and Greek style plain yoghurt
L. Crustless quiche.:)
I'm hoping I finish the day just as well

Reactions: 10 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - spinach pancakes wrapped around bacon - eaten at work after a fasting blood test first thing
L - courgette and runner bean cream soup with some lamb salad (could only manage a few mouthfuls of salad as the soup filled me up)
D - courgette noodle Turkey stir fry with creamy peanut sauce, a small slice of lidl roll to mop up the sauce

Had dinner early as I was hungry, so might have some peanuts later

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - 2 97.5% pork sausages and a bacon 7 egg fat bomb
L - Avocado & Babybel
D - Carb free leek lasagne
S - some Mattessons pork sausage.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fascinating.

Somewhat inadvertantly, my experimentation kicked off again recently. I decided to do my own DIY version of Interminttent Fasting, but without risking the chance of any of those nasty hunger pangs. So I eat lunch and evening meal, and 'fast' for the other 16-17 hours a day. Except that I can eat fat during the 'fast'. Essentially, this means that breakfast is a cup of coffee with a good slug of double cream, which lasts me til lunch. And if I get peckish late evening, I have a mug of broth, again with cream.

I started it in the hope of triggering further weight loss - which has worked like a charm - after a 8 month plateau.
But the additional side effect is that my DP has definitely reduced. By an average of 0,5-1 mmol/l every morning.
I am delighted.

I will however have a sniff ( ;) ) at your 'cephalic pase insulin release' and see if it looks like a possibility. Although, I must admit that my first reaction on reading your suggestion was to question your sanity. When, in the history of the world, has a jelly baby been that close to a human nose and mouth and lived to tell the tale? (or set aside for sniffing the next morning?) I mean, REALITY CHECK, please!

Will let you know if I try it though.

Just worth stating up front, my DP-styleeee rises are inconsequential, so it won't be on my agenda, BUT, if I were to give this a go, I'm sure each day the jelly baby would be smaller, due to MrB's serial amputations, probably on a daily basis....

The thought made me smile though.

Reactions: 6 people