What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

southdenes

thanks for replies ,weight is not an issue 11st and just under 6ft ,just trying to eliminate as much sugar/carbs from my diet as I can , I think part of the problem is not enough exercise , havnt worked lately due to a hand injury but usually work as a bricklayer /builder and that does bring the readings down ! been told by nurse to take up SPEED WALKING !.....not what I had in mind ,something more gentle I can do at home

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

thanks for replies ,weight is not an issue 11st and just under 6ft ,just trying to eliminate as much sugar/carbs from my diet as I can , I think part of the problem is not enough exercise , havnt worked lately due to a hand injury but usually work as a bricklayer /builder and that does bring the readings down ! been told by nurse to take up SPEED WALKING !.....not what I had in mind ,something more gentle I can do at home
There are lots of walking and step aerobics videos on YouTube that can be done at home and are as gentle as you want them to be.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - bacon, eggs and mushrooms
L - unexpected lunch out, so a bacon and Brie salad
Snack - pink fluff!
D - gammon, egg and mushrooms with the remaining pink fluff :)

Reactions: 5 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - 3 sausage, bulletproof coffee
L - 3 egg cheese & ham omelette with asparagus
D - Rump steak with a full-on stilton & double cream sauce, plus rocket.

Reactions: 8 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday
B: Chia porridge
L: Avocado & cheesy coleslaw
S: 2 squares 85% chocolate
D: Roast pork fillet, a new potato, broccoli, chocolate fat bomb

Today:
B: Almond scones with almond butter
S: 2 squares 85% chocolate (on long dog walk)
L Cream of spinach & kale soup(with left over pork), courgette & walnut bread, brussels pate
D: Bacon, egg cheddar salad with coleslaw, raspberries & cream

Reactions: 4 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Leftover rye sour dough-coconut-kefir pancake heated up with a slice of cheese folded in, topped with fresh green salad, marjoram and olive oil
L: Leftover beef and kale Thai curry with some brown rice and a green pepper (Considering the fact that I paid around £2 for the ingredients for the curry, 4 delicious servings is quite a good turnout!)
D: Fried baby squid and octopus (I added some flour to make it crispy. It ended up slimy, but still tasty ;)) with colourful salad including avocado, then some kimchi, then about 100g mixed nuts, because I was just so hungry. Still, I read 5.4 2 hours later :D

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Boiled eggs
L: Mozzarella, herb and tomato salad with home-made tahini dressing
D: Ratatouille with sour cream on mine

(Meatfree Monday because had lots of veg to use up)

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
B. Bacon,egg,sausage and beans. Coffee.
S. Pork scratchings.
D. Dry roasted peanuts and diet lemonade.
.... not hungry one bit and sugar level is a bit high so having to still inject on an evening. Levels are now great during the day on this lchf diet.
I must buy more veg with shopping as know I'm lacking some daily.
Note to oneself: eat vegtables tomorrow and thereafter!
I'm not convinced I will lose weight as no evidence so far.
Sugar levels are being tested on wednesday and with the help of insulin I know it will be lower than my last one of 13. This diet works for me but I'm only going to give it a month and if no weight loss I'll have to rethink.
Did anyone else have a slow weight loss at the beginning?

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B. Bacon,egg,sausage and beans. Coffee.
S. Pork scratchings.
D. Dry roasted peanuts and diet lemonade.
.... not hungry one bit and sugar level is a bit high so having to still inject on an evening. Levels are now great during the day on this lchf diet.
I must buy more veg with shopping as know I'm lacking some daily.
Note to oneself: eat vegtables tomorrow and thereafter!
I'm not convinced I will lose weight as no evidence so far.
Sugar levels are being tested on wednesday and with the help of insulin I know it will be lower than my last one of 13. This diet works for me but I'm only going to give it a month and if no weight loss I'll have to rethink.
Did anyone else have a slow weight loss at the beginning?

The trick is to get your body into proper "fat burning" mode and to keep it there. That means eating your fats. Looking at your food today, maybe there's a bit too much protein and not enough fat, Have some full cream in your coffee, maybe swap the sausage for another egg.

And good call with the veggies. I sometimes struggle to get enough fibre... :oops:

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun it takes a lot of getting your head around the eating of fats... but it has really made a difference in my fasting BG's and my weight loss really. I think cause I actually eat less overall with full/high fat foods.... I drink the majority of my fats in the morning with a bulletproof-ish hot chocolate. Apparently you can make a bulletproof green tea, but I got caught up with the chocolate. Geoffers above, loves him a bulletproof coffee (coffee, 2tbs of butter & 2tbs coconut oil).
Veg for me is necessary to keep things moving and I like the taste, along with lots of water which helps with feeling full and flushing out.

But another member on this forum, nocarbs4me I think, eats no veg nor carbs and his system loves him for it. So horses for courses.
HTH

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - bacon, eggs and mushrooms
L - unexpected lunch out, so a bacon and Brie salad
Snack - pink fluff!
D - gammon, egg and mushrooms with the remaining pink fluff :)
What on earth is pink fluff?! I have visions of you eating a pink fluffy jumper!:D

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What on earth is pink fluff?! I have visions of you eating a pink fluffy jumper!:D
From @trinity0097 's Sunday entry ... must give it a try.
Pink fluff for pudding (sugar free jelly whisked up with double cream rather than water after adding the hot water to melt the jelly - proper retro pudding!

Reactions: 7 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Whole Mozzarella, 2 boiled eggs, fennel and ginger tea
L: Whole avocado with homemade tahini and flaxseed dressing, cinnamon and liquorice tea
D: Roasted crispy chicken wings with runner beans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Full fat yogurt & chopped nuts
S: 2 squares 85% chocolate
L: creamy spinach & kale coup, 3 egg omelette & broccoli
D: will be smoked mackerel & avocado salad, blueberries & cream

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I started with an FBG of 7.2. Had some porridge with ss milk, sweetex and 3 strawberries and 2 hours later 8.7 :arghh:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a strange day, on the move for most of it...

B: Greek Yoghurt and Blueberries
L: 2 hard boiled eggs, and a 6oz hamburger patty
S: Park Scratchings (M&S)
Random Food: Cauliflower and Paneer Pakoras (Waitrose) and 2 chicken drumsticks
Pudd when I got home late: Slice of Homemade cheesecake with a couple of strawberries....

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was a strange day, on the move for most of it...

B: Greek Yoghurt and Blueberries
L: 2 hard boiled eggs, and a 6oz hamburger patty
S: Park Scratchings (M&S)
Random Food: Cauliflower and Paneer Pakoras (Waitrose) and 2 chicken drumsticks
Pudd when I got home late: Slice of Homemade cheesecake with a couple of strawberries....
Can I ask how you make your cheesecake?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't make anything I am afraid, that's the wife's territory.

It's basically Cream Cheese, Double Cream, Eggs and Sweetener, then baked in the oven for a short time. After that she adds a topping made from Buttermilk.

This time she made a base out of ground almonds, but next time I think we won't bother and we will just eat the cheesecake on it's own.

I will see if I can pin here down to the exact receipe.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I started with an FBG of 7.2. Had some porridge with ss milk, sweetex and 3 strawberries and 2 hours later 8.7 :arghh:

@learning2me

Your 2hr post food was only +1.5mmol which is really cool.

I would only suggest as your FBG was higher than you like, would be to have a lower carb breakfast. Like boiled eggs with dippy streaky bacon a large fried mushroom and half a tomato and half an avocado sprinkled with chopped parsley, corriander and a little chilli or pepper??

Also are you eating a little snack before bed - something with a high fat content. Like a piece of cheese with some nuts? Or anything you fancy. I think the idea is to get the liver to stop freaking out that your starving and dumping glycogen et al into your blood steam.

HTH