Cinnamon & Honey

packages1

Hi,

I am a type 2 Diabetic and my levels have been all over the place and rising. I have spoken with my DN and all the time I get is increase your tablets 3 Glicazde + 2 Metformin a day. I have asked many questions, but same old bloody story eat starchy foods and loose weight. Have lost 1.5 stone in 12 months and increased exercise (14STONE 7 NOW), but still having high BS (10 - 15). Have started reducing carbs, against my DN instructions........... slapped wrists

I came across a website called www.diabetesselfmanagement.com, which had quite a few threads about the use of Cinnamon & Honey, which has significantly lowered BS with many of the forum's personnel significantly reducing the amount of medication that they take. I was wondering if anybody on the forum had tried or are using Cinnamon & Honey as part of their daily program.

The site looks to be run by a qualified Diabetes Nurse and the advice seems very genuine, sorry not plugging the site, but would like to do something else rather than rattle with tablets, hate taking tablets.

Any information would be helpful

Kind regards

Packages1

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sprinkle about half a teaspoon of cinnamon on my breakfast. I seem to be doing ok with this. Not tried honey, would have thought it had too many carbs to do any good.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As you may read in many threads on this forum I would suggest you ignore your DN and keep the carbs down; starchy carbs in practice can be highly refined and quickly turned to glucose. If you haven't already got a meter then do obtain one and see what affects you. I've heard that cinnamon may help but I would avoid honey as it's just sugar in another form. See how it affects you with the meter.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have cinnamon several times a day sprinkled on joghurt as I know it brings BGs down, but I never ever touch honey. That's what a lot of people use to bring their levels up rapidly when they are hypo.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Cinnamon and honey s meant to be good at lowering cholesterol....the article that I have printed off in my hand (don't know where it come from-so sorry if I offend patentcy rights!) says 2 tablespoons (!!!) of honey, 3 teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water, given to a cholesterol patient were found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent within 2 hours.... no idea where it came from though, who it was written by...and no idea or mention of diabetes.....I am now taking cinammon tablets to see if they will lower my cholesterol naturally....but would not entertain taking honey as the spikes in BG would be huge for me...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've included cinnamon in my diet for years, off & on. IMHO it actually makes no difference to my glucose. I have recently been advised of a potential danger from as little as a tea spoon a day - which amount I have often added to my almond porridge. I would think of adding honey.

The danger is from coumarin, present in significant amounts, unless you buy your cinnamon from Sri Lanka.

Cinnamon Warning!

Since the insulin-like properties of cinnamon were discovered, it has become a popular treatment or prophylactic for insulin resistance and diabetes. Many people assume that if a little is good, more is better, but there is a potential danger in taking too much or the wrong kind. Cinnamon contains coumarin, an anti-coagulant and possibly carcinogenic substance that can cause liver inflammation.

The European Food Safety Authority concluded that the TDI (tolerable daily intake) for coumarin is 0.0002 ounces per day for a 130-pound adult, an amount easily exceeded during the Christmas holidays and that as little as three cinnamon cookies could contain enough of the toxin to harm a small child. If the amount is exceeded for a short time only, it may be reversible in a few weeks, but taking supplements made from powdered cinnamon bark regularly may not be such a good idea(5). Courmarin from other sources must also be included in the total. These include some brands of vanilla, especially ones from Mexico, which may contain an extract of tonka beans (Dipteryx odorata), perfumes, herbs such as red clover, sweet woodruff, fenugreek, chamomile, sweet grass, and tarragon, and of course blood-thinning medications such as Coumadin®. Aspirin and NSAIDS could intensify the blood-thinning effect.

[One caveat: the science is not unanimous. For example, a recent meta-analysis of five previous studies concluded that, “Cinnamon does not appear to improve A1C, fasting blood glucose, or lipid parameters in patients with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes”(6 ). Many people with diabetes test their blood glucose levels frequently and may be able to determine for themselves if it is helpful. Those of us who eat a low-carb diet may not see additional benefits from cinnamon supplementation, since we have already reduced our need for insulin. At any rate, it is doubly important that those who use it are doing so in a way that does no harm.]

Reactions: 4 people

Sudeep

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've included cinnamon in my diet for years, off & on. IMHO it actually makes no difference to my glucose. I have recently been advised of a potential danger from as little as a tea spoon a day - which amount I have often added to my almond porridge. I would think of adding honey.

The danger is from coumarin, present in significant amounts, unless you buy your cinnamon from Sri Lanka.
Hello friends,
I am new here and just wanted to share that Honey + Cinnamon combination really worked for me as I bought organic honey directly from the local company...not a big brand or label...I bought the crystallized pack as it is the sign of purity. Cinnamon capsules from GMC. I take a teaspoon of honey with my breakfast, with afternoon tea and two teaspoons at bedtime with one capsule of cinnamon....I am a prediabetic ,overweight 125 kgs...and my fasting readings now after taking honey and cinnamon are around 100 compared to an average of 120 about a week ago...other benefits- good sleep, clear bowel movement, no acidity, satisfied tongue and good mood.

You should always try to avoid medicines until it is really essential...no doctor will ever explain to you that diabetes is not a disease, it is the way your body responds to glucose... So all knew has to do is use internet , get educated on the relation between glucose,cell walls and insulin...and learn how to use right type of natural sweetener like honey and cinnamon which inspite of being sweet use very less insulin for getting through the cell walls.

Diabetes does not kill - being uneducated does.

Best wishes from Kathmandu.

Reactions: 2 people

robert7259

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am a type 2 Diabetic and my levels have been all over the place and rising. I have spoken with my DN and all the time I get is increase your tablets 3 Glicazde + 2 Metformin a day. I have asked many questions, but same old bloody story eat starchy foods and loose weight. Have lost 1.5 stone in 12 months and increased exercise (14STONE 7 NOW), but still having high BS (10 - 15). Have started reducing carbs, against my DN instructions........... slapped wrists

I came across a website called www.diabetesselfmanagement.com, which had quite a few threads about the use of Cinnamon & Honey, which has significantly lowered BS with many of the forum's personnel significantly reducing the amount of medication that they take. I was wondering if anybody on the forum had tried or are using Cinnamon & Honey as part of their daily program.

The site looks to be run by a qualified Diabetes Nurse and the advice seems very genuine, sorry not plugging the site, but would like to do something else rather than rattle with tablets, hate taking tablets.

Any information would be helpful

Kind regards

Packages1

Use 1Tsp of Honey & 1 Tsp of Cinnamon Mix it up and piece .you can also put it in your cereal. Cinnamon is good for your Diabetes it helps lower your blood sugar.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The jury are stll out on cinnamon truth be told.
I have a teaspoon of honey ion plain yoghurt probably three times a week and the soike I get isn't really a spike ... I may go from five to 6.5 but within an hour or less it's back down.
Honey isn't just sugar it's a very complex substance and near magical!

I am a diet only type 2 diabetic, diagnosed about 2 years ago. I have never liked honey, but one day decided to add a teaspoonful to some stewed fruit, instead of using artificial sweetener. I was surprised at the difference it made, and since then have been having honey with natural yogurt as well as with stewed fruit. I read somewhere that honey regulates blood sugar levels, and my readings have come down, so I'm still eating honey. I don't think I could eat it spread on bread or toast though, I don't like it that much! I haven't tried cinnamon yet, maybe tomorrow ........

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@packages1 I think you will have to try some whilst doing a testing experiment. Let us know how you get on.:)

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I use a lot of honey cinnamon ginger (fresh powdered in jars & frozen) nutmeg cloves maple syrup and all sorts of other herbs & spices if I had to choose one it will be ginger

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diabetes does not kill - being uneducated does.
Best wishes from Kathmandu.

Yes, agreed. My best wishes for you in your efforts to fight back pre-diabetes.

I was almost like you, some 3 or 4 years back. Lost many lbs; benefits are many. Medics actually advised me not to run at all as I could damage my knees.

Now it is a different story, I cannot believe myself doing 5k runs these days! Longest I did is 7.5km (Jan 3, 2016); By next month my target is do 10k run.
overweight 125 kgs
Is it that your current weight is 125kg? or you are overweight by 125kg?

litakataka_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never been so confused in my entire life! Info on internet seem to be great and educational only varies too much for my understanding I read about one thing being recommended and the next I read same thing being condemned like this honey, starchy food, full cream milk, butter, red meats etc fasting, apple cider vinegar. I’m type 2 on 500mg x 2 metformin x 2daily plus 1mg glimepride daily been diagnosed since 2003 and I’m 62. Hate living on tablets! So unhappy and confused sugar levels up and down between 5 to 18+ HELP!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@litakataka_ My advice is use what you know. Sugars and carbs raise blood sugar and create high insulin responses to hold on to fat. So starches and sugars should be avoided optimally. I find acv fine, red meat fine (grass fed preferrable). Butter and milk is fine for many. There are many groups who need and want you to reject foods of 50 years ago which produced less metabolic diseases in Western societies and first world societies that have not adopted the same.