A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Safi Those look amazing! :hungry: I will give these a try by subbing the parmesan and the odd ingredients that I haven't heard of. I was gifted a cauliflower yesterday so this will be a great use for it, thank you. (Yes, I was given a cauli by a friend lol)

Reactions: 2 people

ChilliGal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first foray into low carb recipes - I'm newish to LCHF (certainly to taking it seriously I have to admit) and I'm a sad old foodie which doesn't help. However, discovered this squash parmigiana recipe on Delicious and I have to say that although it looks quite meagre when you're cooking it it's ultra rich and ultra delicious! I halved the recipe amount as we are only three, and it was plenty....

you can find it here

Reactions: 8 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ChilliGal I will be giving it a go. It is certainly hard to break old habits but once you find some great recipes you are away.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Can't seem to find any recepies for gram or soya flour bread on the net that easy and rises OK? Any ideas, please.
thanks
Derek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen someone on TV making a cranberry and orange zest mayonnaise.
How fab does that sound?
There was no recipe, but he was using the standard handblender mayo recipe, with added orange zest and about a tablespoon of dried cranberries tipped in.

(This vid is for alioli, but just leave out the garlic and replace with the zest and cranberries. I would probably add a smidge of mustard powder too, to help with the emulsification)

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just seen someone on TV making a cranberry and orange zest mayonnaise.
How fab does that sound?

Oh my! Boxing day food! I can already imagine my Christmas day leftovers slathered in this mayo :hungry:

*adds to growing list* :writer: Thanks m'dear.

Reactions: 4 people

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good morning,
I'm so glad I've found this Forum and all you clever people. I enjoy cooking and am only 2.1/2 weeks into the low carb followers, so this a great find for me. I expect I'll be hours browsing through these recipes and won't know where to start. I'm thinking the Eggplant lasagne, cos I've got mincemeat in freezer and loads of cheese - going out to buy an aubergine later. Thank you all.

ChilliGal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are looking for something sweet, I made these peanut butter fudge bars yesterday and think they are yummy! http://www.ruled.me/keto-peanut-butter-fudge-bars/ Makes 8 bars but you could easily make them smaller. 3.3g carbs per bar if divided into 8.

Hmmm - sound delicious - I'm struggling with wanting 'sweet' things at the moment - but not sure about erithytol (sp) - Would splenda work I wonder to myself and plan to cook these tomorrow just to see :)

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No actual recipe from me but just some low carb recipe sources:

1. Pinterest - zillions on here

2. New York Times, the Cooking section. You can sign up, save recipes to a recipe box, pin to Pinterest, review the recipe once you've made it, Tweet them photos and email for help if it all goes wrong. You can also save recipes from other websites and sign up for recipes by email. http://cooking.nytimes.com/ Famous names include Martha Rose Shulman and Mark Bittmann.

3. Kindle Unlimited on Amazon. If you subscribe, you can download as many free Kindle edition cookbooks as you can find on Kindle Unlimited which seems like thousands including low carb, Paleo, vegan Paleo, Jewish low carb, diabetic etc etc

4. Paleo Britain http://www.paleo-britain.co.uk/recipe_genre/recipe/

5. Supermarket websites - Lidl, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi, Whole Foods Market, Waitrose, Ocado, ASDA

6. American supermarkets eg Hannaford, Piggly Wiggly, Harris Teeter, (the websites all come up on Google ) and if you've read Twilight, there's a Thriftway at Forks Outfitters which has recipes eg this low carb salmon one
http://forksoutfitters.com/Recipes/Detail/5989/Salmon_Fillets_with_Country_Herb_Crust/_SS_

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello does anyone have a low carb stir fry sauce recipe? Thank you emma

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb Microwave Muffins

Copied from two of my posts in a thread elsewhere on the forum, as I felt it ought to be part of this thread.:

I investigated (via Google) muffins in a mug and one minute (microwave) muffins when I first started low carbing, and came up with my own version - I more or less doubled up the ingredients and I cook them in 7 or 8 silicone (large/9cm) muffin cases in the microwave for 2.5-3 minutes, and they last up to a week in the fridge. Once you've got the hang of them, the ingredients and additions can be varied to suit your tastes, and I make a variety of both sweet and savoury ones. Without the addition of eggs and raising agent some variations can make nice little biscuits/cookies too, which are super fast to do. My muffins are now one of my staple low carb foods, one of my favourite in both versions being chocolate hazelnut.

The basic mix is very versatile as you can add pretty much what you fancy to vary the flavours. Years ago when I was teaching myself to cook I actually learned this technique from one of my very first cookery books which gave basic recipes for cakes, sauces, etc, and then gave tables of extra ingredients you could add.

Basic ingredients:
(Approx) 200g of ground almonds
or 200g ground hazelnuts
or mixture of (golden) flax seed, and ground almonds or sesame flour (about 60/40 proportion wise)
(Approx) 75g softened butter
3 eggs
1-1.5 teasp baking powder

According to what I fancy baking sweet or savoury wise I add a selection from:
Sukrin gold or other low carb sweetener to taste
2-3 teasp cocoa powder
cinnamon
blueberries
vanilla essence
chocolate extract
orange extract
a little diluted ground coffee or coffee flavouring
chopped nuts
grated baby carrots
grated courgettes
grated parmesan and/or cheddar
teasp paprika
teasp mustard powder
salt, pepper
olives
herbs, fresh or dried

Mix dry ingredients, add butter and beaten eggs and blend well
fill muffin cases and microwave for 2.5-3 mins until done - cocktail stick poked into middle comes out clean. Cool on
cake rack.

As I said in previous post I use 9cm muffin cases and depending on how I fill them I usually get 7-8 large muffins. I keep them in closed containers in fridge, but usually add a piece of kitchen roll on top to absorb any excess moisture.

Cookies - I cook in microwave on a silicon baking mat with greaseproof paper on top. Roll into between 7 and 10 little balls, flatten tops slightly with fork. They may do better if they're chilled in the fridge before cooking as they end to spread a bit. Cook for 2.5-3 mins or until done. Slide the greaseproof and cookies off the silicon mat, place them on cake rack and cool well as they can be rather fragile/crumbly until properly set.

So for example:

Chocolate muffins:
butter, eggs, baking powder
ground hazelnuts
cocoa
cinnamon
Sukrin Gold
maybe some nutmeg, chocolate and/or orange extract
and possibly a piece of melted 85% dark chocolate ( thanks to Scandichic's choc muffin recipe)

For blueberry muffins
ground almonds
Sukrin
maybe vanilla essence
blueberries

For coffee and walnut muffins:

ground almonds, or possibly sesame flour (I haven't yet tried with this)
Sukrin
fairly finely chopped or crushed walnuts
dissolved coffee and maybe a bit of coffee flavouring

For carrot cake:
ground almonds
Sukrin Gold
grated carrots
finely chopped pecans
nutmeg
cinnamon

For savoury courgette muffins:

butter, eggs
flax seed and sesame flour mix
grated courgettes, finely chopped walnut, or some whole pine nuts
grated cheese
salt, pepper

For savoury cheese muffins:
as above but omit courgettes and nuts
and add paprika and mustard

For cookies omit the eggs and baking powder and possibly reduce quantity of butter slightly - these are mixed and
rolled into little balls for cooking. You can also use cool chopped butter and just mix until crumbly to make crumble
toppings for fruit - my favourite is hazelnut choc crumble with blackberries and apple.

Almond cookies/ shortcake:
butter (not too soft for this!)
ground almonds
Sukrin
vanilla essence

For chocolate cookies:
butter( not too soft for this!)
ground hazelnuts
Sukrin
cocoa powder
cinnamon
and maybe a little vanilla essence, choc essence, or ground nutmeg

.... You get the general idea!

Robbity

Reactions: 16 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, thank you from me, too.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh they look good. Its great to have some easy recipes to fall back on.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
quiche3.jpg

Low carb quiche. Recipe

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/11/bacon-and-leek-quiche.html

Reactions: 8 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks good, you have to love this thread, there are so many great ideas that come through.