Does over eating give you Type 2 diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Veggie soup is really good. Know what you want to do with the fasting, don't go silly with it, note down what you're doing and results, but it may be good. Good luck Susie girl but be sensible.

Green veg in soup form is amazing. Or not in soup form! But I'll pm you an amazing soup.

Good luck girl x

Thanks Lucy .Bloods still looking good and grabbed a huge beef bone at the butchers to make beef broth .All soup recipes welcome .I make at least three a week :D

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a segment in a food documentary which fed two men a meal plus water and two men the same meal liquidised into soup with the water. Then they were sent out on a car journey and told to stop when they felt hungry. Those who ate the soup went further.

When we boil veg and chuck away the water, we throw away vitamins, whereas when we eat the soup or stew, we get all of them.

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"While people who have diabetes are often heavy, one out of five people diagnosed with diabetes are thin or normal weight"

"I think the truth is that as yet no one really knows what causes it as there does not seem to be any common factor in everyone that has it that they can pinpoint."

People focus on the cause and hope that by doing so they will find a cure. However, the statistics tell us that 80% of T2’s on diagnosis are overweight or obese and that as the obesity levels in the general population have risen so too has the number of T2’s being diagnosed.

This does not equate directly to the cause but does result in the major risk factor for developing T2 being overweight or obese. Eliminating the major risk factor is key.

The issue I have with the concept of overeating being caused by diabetes is that the question then surely has to be: why have we not always had high levels of T2? What has fundamentally changed in the last 30 years? Blood sugar 101 may claim it’s damage to our genes from pesticide exposure, plastics and other toxins but would genetic mutations from these areas impact the population so quickly?

Perhaps other sociological changes such as mechanisation, sedentary lifestyle, convenience food etc, which have all been rapid changes, would have a more immediate impact? Genetic changes have to be passed through generations. Sociological changes can work in months.

hi . there has been some huge changes in are diet in the last 50 years . And the change is the amount of sugar and frictose we now consume . There is everdence that sugar switch off the hormone leptin that tells the body that it is full so i think sugar is the problem and untill are goverment dose something about it things will stay the same

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

hi . just read your post and i have not done any reading on that subject . i will have to try and find some info and read . i dont think its trying to find what to blame for diabetes but if we can find an answer we may be in a better position to prevent it .
i must say the more i read about sugar and fricsose the more i think it points to the problem . since starting my low car diet iv been shocked by how much sugar is in are food .

clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all iv read a paper today that has found some evidence that it is not sugar or fat That is the problem It's when you mix the to together it gives the brain the wrong signals . The trial was with rats and they only put on weight when the 2 where mixed . It seams every day there is a new theory

Clive

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Lucy .Bloods still looking good and grabbed a huge beef bone at the butchers to make beef broth .All soup recipes welcome .I make at least three a week :D

How is it going now, @Susiespearish ?

Funnily enough I was wondering how you were doing a few days ago, because I hadn't seen your posts for ages, and then I see this thread.

Hope the fasting is helping!

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Funnily enough I was wondering how you were doing a few days ago, because I hadn't seen your posts for ages, and then I see this thread.

Hi had my hba1c results on Monday . Down from 100 to 48 . I'm now of gliclazide to see how I do for a few weeks . My DB nurse told me to Carry on self testing so my test strips are on prescription still . I'm finding all the research on diet amazing there are so much research and so many different results it's now a bit of a joke with me and my partner . I'll find some research and then she will find some to disprove it .

Clive

Reactions: 8 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Opps thought that last comment was for me . Ignore my last message sorry

Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi iv had a thought about you above comment . Iv spoken to my mother and asked her about her diet . Iv 4 sisters and a brother I'm the only one in the family with diabetes . We where quite a poor family my mum cooked all are food so no processed food or sweets . I asked mum if she could remember any diet changes between the pregnancies and was told no . I have to add that my mum is 94 and her memory is not as good as it was . I was just wondering how this would fit into the above theory

Clive

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi iv had a thought about you above comment . Iv spoken to my mother and asked her about her diet . Iv 4 sisters and a brother I'm the only one in the family with diabetes . We where quite a poor family my mum cooked all are food so no processed food or sweets . I asked mum if she could remember any diet changes between the pregnancies and was told no . I have to add that my mum is 94 and her memory is not as good as it was . I was just wondering how this would fit into the above theory

Clive
http://carbsanity.blogspot.no/2012/07/diabetes-treatment-stuffs.html

This a person that used a lowcarb diet to lose a lot of weight. She is an engineer but is also a professor and knows very much about diabetes. Read everything on here blog about diabetes, I have learned very much from her webpage-

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://carbsanity.blogspot.no/2012/07/diabetes-treatment-stuffs.html

This a person that used a lowcarb diet to lose a lot of weight. She is an engineer but is also a professor and knows very much about diabetes. Read everything on here blog about diabetes, I have learned very much from her webpage-
Really? She also put back on a lot of weight and blames low carb for it, not her Lindt chocolate habit. As far as I know she's never managed to control her own weight, yet still claims to know the truth. IMO, the woman is a nasty piece of work who misuses science to push her own twisted nasty agenda and uses the worst kind of ad hominem attacks on low carb scientists and anyone who doesn't agree with her. Her blog is a cesspool of nastiness and I avoid it like the plague, but I guess we all have our own views on people in the blogosphere.

Reactions: 6 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really? She also put back on a lot of weight and blames low carb for it, not her Lindt chocolate habit. As far as I know she's never managed to control her own weight, yet still claims to know the truth. IMO, the woman is a nasty piece of work who misuses science to push her own twisted nasty agenda and uses the worst kind of ad hominem attacks on low carb scientists and anyone who doesn't agree with her. Her blog is a cesspool of nastiness and I avoid it like the plague, but I guess we all have our own views on people in the blogosphere.

Hi I have to say iv just read your link and I have to agree with you

Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I've just read an article that has found some new evidence that it is the diabetes that is making people put on weight not the Weight giving people diabetes .

I can't agree with that. I was overeating for a couple of decades and all my blood tests, done regularly because of a heart condition, showed normal levels.

I then gave up smoking and substituted cigs with mint imperials. That's when I got diabetes.

The problem is that everyone's metabolism is different and the fundamental cause of type 2 diabetes is a build up of fatty substances in the pancreas which hinders insulin production. There is no hard and fast rule which says all humans build up fats in the same way and in the same places when eating the same foods and in the same quantities.

There may be a genetic predisposition in many humans to consume too much food. They were the ones who could survive famines in history. Now though, it's not such a good evolutionary trait as it used to be. Many humans too do have a sweet tooth or a disposition for some particular taste or texture.

I do agree though that the NHS advice to people, 'eat plenty of carbs' is likely to cause some people to put on weight. Moderation and quality of foods and, for type 2 diabetics, type of carb, are important factors. 'Eat plenty of carbs' as advice for diabetics, may result in some people eating a large plate of pasta with a sugar laden sauce from a jar.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's well documented by now that as the insulin metabolism alters and the amount of insulin in the body increases, this makes you obese. The biochemistry of how this works is well known. Just google.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The biochemistry of how this works is well known. Just google.

It's just one part of the process. Some of the most recent research is done at Newcastle University. They have kindly made their paper Type 2 Diabetes Etiology and Reversibility publically available.

You are right with what you say; from the paper:

"However, because the process of de novo lipogenesis is stimulated by higher insulin levels, the scene is set for hepatic fat accumulation. Excess fat deposition in the liver is present before the onset of classical type 2 diabetes, and in established type 2 diabetes, liver fat is supranormal."

This is not obesity though, it's fatty liver. Most obese people don't have diabetes, what you need is a fatty liver.

The question then becomes why does the insulin metabolism change in the first place? The answer it seems is that; "The accumulation of fat in liver and secondarily in the pancreas will lead to self-reinforcing cycles that interact to bring about type 2 diabetes. Fatty liver leads to impaired fasting glucose metabolism and increases export of VLDL triacylglycerol, which increases fat delivery to all tissues, including the islets." It is this process that creates the inityial increase in insulin production, but then, "The liver and pancreas cycles drive onward after diagnosis with steadily decreasing β-cell function." which results in a decrease of insulin. Basically your β-cells become metabolically inhibited and eventually die and you produce less and less and why some people have to inject it.

See in particular the section, The twin cycle hypothesis of etiology of type 2 diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi all .popped on to update you .Fasting is wonderful .I'm now doing 24 hour fasts twice a week and it sounds mad but I actually prefer my fasting days .I've been full of energy and tackling jobs I haven't had the energy for in months and that's despite having a raging chest infection still . I'm finding my appetite is completely suppressed when I finish my fast and struggle to think what I fancy to eat . I'm struggling with the cauliflower rice (yuk) but loving my soups and not craving sweet stuff much .Lost a full stone slowly but surely but the best news is my Bg's have been very stable ! Between 11 and 12 throughout the days .
I know it's food related because it was my hubbys 50th and I caved on a meal out and had dessert .Bg's whipped back to 25 and boy did I feel ill all night .Won't be doing that again ! I have discovered I can't do the high fat thing too much or the weight loss stops and my body just wont go in to Ketosis but I'm perfectly happy with how it's going .Even developed a love of peppermint and chamomile tea .Drinks I would have refused point blank a month ago but now actually prefer to normal tea *faints*
I'm trialling Metformin again to see if I can get my Bg's below 10 BUT and this is quite significant I have markedly noticed that along with an upset tummy and increase in heartburn it really does make me crave food again!! Was doing so well with diet alone i may give them a miss this week as I certainly haven't seen any improvement in my Bg's .Quite the opposite ! They've fluctuated far more this last week and thrown in some high readings .

Reactions: 5 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just one part of the process. Some of the most recent research is done at Newcastle University. They have kindly made their paper Type 2 Diabetes Etiology and Reversibility publically available.

You are right with what you say; from the paper:

"However, because the process of de novo lipogenesis is stimulated by higher insulin levels, the scene is set for hepatic fat accumulation. Excess fat deposition in the liver is present before the onset of classical type 2 diabetes, and in established type 2 diabetes, liver fat is supranormal."

This is not obesity though, it's fatty liver. Most obese people don't have diabetes, what you need is a fatty liver.

The question then becomes why does the insulin metabolism change in the first place? The answer it seems is that; "The accumulation of fat in liver and secondarily in the pancreas will lead to self-reinforcing cycles that interact to bring about type 2 diabetes. Fatty liver leads to impaired fasting glucose metabolism and increases export of VLDL triacylglycerol, which increases fat delivery to all tissues, including the islets." It is this process that creates the inityial increase in insulin production, but then, "The liver and pancreas cycles drive onward after diagnosis with steadily decreasing β-cell function." which results in a decrease of insulin. Basically your β-cells become metabolically inhibited and eventually die and you produce less and less and why some people have to inject it.

See in particular the section, The twin cycle hypothesis of etiology of type 2 diabetes.

My liver test and my liver scan show i have no fatty liver .My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are excellent and have been tested many times and yet I'm overweight and developed diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people