Low carb rice , pasta etc and konjac

dipsydo

I happened to be going past Holland and Barrett which had a large advert for Eat water slim rice, pasta etc The advert in the window states no carbs in the rice or pasta so went in a looked at the packets .. the rice one( based on konjac flour) actually had about carbs 8.4 ( the packet was different to the window one but had the slim rice name ) and by looking on internet like there has been a very recent change in recipe so that all the Eat water slim rice etc have carbs in them so window advert was a bit misleading. However H&B also to do Zero noodles which have zero carbs and made from Konjac plant so I guess the advert could have been referring to that product.

Has any one tried either the slim or zero foods? I can see a lot of threads about Konjac but not anything about what konjac product people think is the nicest

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've tried a few different konjac products (rice and noodles) and while they don't taste of anything much and are good for bulking out a meal, they do give me terrible wind and an upset tummy the next day.

type1lozzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the slim rice and pasta it is horrible. Tastes of nothing and it has a fishy smell to it. Not had the zero food yet I will try that next.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As an alternative to carby foods I think these products are great, you can do stir frys, sauces etc which are good for flavour, a very healthy alternative, best idea is to try and experiment and see what you think ;)

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat them regularly. You have to rinse them a lot before use. I would suggest using them in full flavoured dishes, particularly anything spicy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we've started eating them a couple of times a month. The ones I buy are just called Konjac rice. They are fine when mixed in with a good curry sauce, or tipped into a stew, but I prefer cauliflower rice. Homemade cauli rice is SO much cheaper, and nicer and um... real (by that I mean less processed).

dipsydo

Thank you all for the information which is very helpful because I am very allergic to fish & shellfish and thus hate fishy smells so I think if there is a risk that it smells fishy I will give the products a miss. Think I will stay with cauliflower

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree over the cauliflower rice- it is just so versatile. For pasta I have used courgetti (spiralised courgette) and butternut squash but that has higher carbs. You'll also find in the attached the Fathead recipe for pasta which is reasonably straightforward to make. Has to be done in advance as the drying time is 4 hours but otherwise it's a bit like fresh pasta .....and no smell!

http://healthylivinginbodyandmind.com/24-fathead-cheese-dough-recipes-low-carb-gluten-free/

Reactions: MauzaM and Ultramum

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree the konjac noodles are fishy and a horrible texture. Edamame fettuccine or spaghetti is much much tastier and appears to have little impact on my t1 daughter's blood sugars.

Reactions: Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tried Oomi Noodles today (made Oomi Carbonara). Made with fish protein - no smell, do not taste of fish and are delish. 7 g of carbs per portion.

Reactions: Ultramum

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree the konjac noodles are fishy and a horrible texture. Edamame fettuccine or spaghetti is much much tastier and appears to have little impact on my t1 daughter's blood sugars.
Too many carbs for me at 16g per 100g.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying out shirataki noodles, made from some kind of seaweed, they don't taste fishy. They have zero net carbs. You dont' really cook them, just add them to your sauce at the point you want to dish out the food and let themgently soak up the source - too much heat and they simply disappear.
You can get them from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...les&sprefix=shirat,aps,286&crid=2WGAL4U97C2C5

the do appear to be pleasingly like actual noodles

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I know that this is an old thread..but if you rinse them well in a sieve, then pour boiling water over the noodles, add lemon juice and swish around the noodles, no fishy taste or smell

Reactions: Serena51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know that this is an old thread..but if you rinse them well in a sieve, then pour boiling water over the noodles, add lemon juice and swish around the noodles, no fishy taste or smell
Might try that, once I can chew and digest it.
Pasta was very chewy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reheated pasta is pretty good to eat, as it is not as tough (al dente) as when it's first cooked up.
I'll experiment. Is it fresh pasta that's reheated or dry pasta cooked then reheated?

D

Deleted member 308541

I'll experiment. Is it fresh pasta that's reheated or dry pasta cooked then reheated?
It is normal packet spiral pasta, cooked for the normal amount of time. I then bag it up in portion size sandwich bags.

When they have cooled enough I put them in the freezer till we want them.

Here's a pix of the size bag.

LKgE66l.jpg

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My son adores pasta. Anyway it comes. So I'll experiment on us both as he normally wants seconds so I get the impression it's left him craving. So I restrict how many times and how much I make of it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just rinse under the tap in a sieve. The smell comes from the water in which the rice / pasta is stored and is not difficult to get rid of. I bulk bought lots of Slim pasta and rice a few weeks ago and it is definitely labelled on the front of the packets as zero carb. As for the comparison with cauliflower rice, I'd prefer that, but it adds too many carbs for me. And of course the ricing causes the cauliflower to be digested more quickly than if it were in chunks. I did try the Zero brand noodles before I discovered the Slim brand. They have a much odder texture, I imagine because the Slim recipe adds some oat fibre to the konjac flour. Incidentally, oat fibre as opposed to oat bran is zero carb and I have wondered about using it for baking, but was put off by the cost of ordering from Amazon.