What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - none

Lunch - tuna mayo with salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, tiny amount of coleslaw, onion)

Dinner - 2 rashers bacon, 1 Birds Eye burger, 2 sausages (Waitrose free range Cumberland); 2 squares Lindt 90%

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course we don't mind - everyone is welcome! :)

Your rolls sound interesting - did you find the recipe on-line?

Hi @Chook,

Thank you and all the others (@Goonergal, @Brunneria, @maglil55, @mo53) for the warm welcome.

I spent the day outside today. I had two decaffeinated double espressos with cream and xylitol today before leaving and then nothing until 6 p.m. We then went to a tapas place where I ordered two glasses of red wine, two of small skewers of lamb and some chicken with honey sauce. I figured there probably won't be much of the sauce that would stick to the chicken since most of the sauce was left in the dish. Seems I was wrong -- blood sugar soared to 6.8 (which is much higher than I am used to) half an hour after the meal and in spite of the red wine. Now two and a half hours later blood sugars are back to 4.4.

The roles are easy to make. It takes about 20 minutes to mix all the ingredients and form the roles and another hour and a half in the oven. The recipe is from diet doctor.com (www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-low-carb-bread). The recipe says to use five quarter cups of almond flour and a little bit more than a quarter cup of psyllium husks, salt, a cup of hot water, 3 egg whites, baking powder and vinegar.

I have replaced some of the almond flour with linseed flour, coconut flour, hemp flour and lupine flour, which are even lower carb, I also add sesame and chia seeds. Spices include nigella seeds, caraway seeds and ground coriander seeds and some salt. I found I don't need the egg whites. I also replaced the vinegar with cream of tartar. Because some of the flours absorb more water than almond flour, I found I need to add about 2 1/2 cups of boiling water.

I make a batch of about 6 or 7 roles about once a week. When I have one of the roles with butter, it doesn't seem to raise my blood sugars at all. It's also helpful to have the roles around when I get home from work. Due to a long commute, I often spend 12 to 14 hours away from home and don't feel like cooking when I get home.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Chook,

Thank you and all the others (@Goonergal, @Brunneria, @maglil55, @mo53) for the warm welcome.

I spent the day outside today. I had two decaffeinated double espressos with cream and xylitol today before leaving and then nothing until 6 p.m. We then went to a tapas place where I ordered two glasses of red wine, two of small skewers of lamb and some chicken with honey sauce. I figured there probably won't be much of the sauce that would stick to the chicken since most of the sauce was left in the dish. Seems I was wrong -- blood sugar soared to 6.8 (which is much higher than I am used to) half an hour after the meal and in spite of the red wine. Now two and a half hours later blood sugars are back to 4.4.

The roles are easy to make. It takes about 20 minutes to mix all the ingredients and form the roles and another hour and a half in the oven. The recipe is from diet doctor.com (www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-low-carb-bread). The recipe says to use five quarter cups of almond flour and a little bit more than a quarter cup of psyllium husks, salt, a cup of hot water, 3 egg whites, baking powder and vinegar.

I have replaced some of the almond flour with linseed flour, coconut flour, hemp flour and lupine flour, which are even lower carb, I also add sesame and chia seeds. Spices include nigella seeds, caraway seeds and ground coriander seeds and some salt. I found I don't need the egg whites. I also replaced the vinegar with cream of tartar. Because some of the flours absorb more water than almond flour, I found I need to add about 2 1/2 cups of boiling water.

I make a batch of about 6 or 7 roles about once a week. When I have one of the roles with butter, it doesn't seem to raise my blood sugars at all. It's also helpful to have the roles around when I get home from work. Due to a long commute, I often spend 12 to 14 hours away from home and don't feel like cooking when I get home.
A woman after our own hearts - you adjust recipes. You'll find a few of us do that. Looking at your seed mix it would make a nice topping on the dough prior to cooking the rolls. I'll play about with this in a few days once my gum heals a bit. I have a feeling that this could make a good low carb bun for a burger.
(On the Corsidol toothpaste and salty mouthwash and gum/stitches doing quite well. )

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A woman after our own hearts - you adjust recipes. You'll find a few of us do that. Looking at your seed mix it would make a nice topping on the dough prior to cooking the rolls. I'll play about with this in a few days once my gum heals a bit. I have a feeling that this could make a good low carb bun for a burger.
(On the Corsidol toothpaste and salty mouthwash and gum/stitches doing quite well. )

Hope you feel better soon, @maglil55. Let me know how the hamburger buns turn out.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi @Chook,

I've made the basic Diet Doctor recipe a couple of times and enjoyed it. I never thought to replace some of the ingredients - I do like the idea of the different seeds. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Woo hoooo - I've lost a pound this week! I struggle to ever lose weight so I am pleased with this.

Its a fasting day for me so....

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: A large home grown salad - with olives, cold chicken and other cold meats - plus mayo

Drinks: Coffee with breakfast, sparkling mineral water all day then..... traaa laaaaa - its Friday - so a nice glass of red wine.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far, two mugs of coffee with cream. I made some broad bean hummus this morning with allotment donations, I'll probably have that later with an avocado.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed on 5.8 FBG 6.2 and pre breakfast was 7.1. Gum was swollen this morning but it has gone back down again. Still went to aqua - paracetamol took care of that.
B. Duck egg, slice black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms , Heck chicken sausage. Tassimo morning coffee with cream.
L. Marigold Swiss bouillon
D. I saw a recipe but can't find it at the moment but I more or less remember it. It was a salad mix of avocado, red onion, egg, cucumber, celery - I'm adding chopped lettuce and tomato as well and some mayonaisse.
Will probably have a whey hay ice cream too. Still on salty mouthwash and careful brushing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed on 5.8 FBG 6.2 and pre breakfast was 7.1. Gum was swollen this morning but it has gone back down again. Still went to aqua - paracetamol took care of that.
B. Duck egg, slice black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms , Heck chicken sausage. Tassimo morning coffee with cream.
L. Marigold Swiss bouillon
D. I saw a recipe but can't find it at the moment but I more or less remember it. It was a salad mix of avocado, red onion, egg, cucumber, celery - I'm adding chopped lettuce and tomato as well and some mayonaisse.
Will probably have a whey hay ice cream too. Still on salty mouthwash and careful brushing.

I missed out the tuna in that salad for dinner and that was the main ingredient.

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w
B

badcat

B - scrambled eggs with smoked salmon
L - toasted a piece of Tesco high protein bread and had it with butter to test the impact - 1 hour raise was 1.5, 2 hour raise 1.9 so its just made it into the eat with caution area - ok but only if starting BM is 5.5 or under. Still it was nice to have decent toast for the first time in abt 5 years the idea of being able to have egg / cheese on toast again is strangely appealing
Snack - 125g lactofree yogurt with some toasted almonds
Dinner - not sure yet,I made a 'something' using up the veg in my fridge (broccoli, runner beans, leeks, courgettes, garlic and mushrooms) and a pouch of bone broth - will prob have some of that with some konjac noodles
Drinks - 2 x nespresso with soya cream

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Totally wicked, temptation too great a small warm pork pie!!

1 hours swimming.

D. Irish stew made without potatoes. Strawberries with vanilla Alpro icecream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Raspberries and cream

L. Totally wicked, temptation too great a small warm pork pie!!

1 hours swimming.

D. Irish stew made without potatoes. Strawberries with vanilla Alpro icecream.
I was feeding my carb eaters vanilla Alpro for weeks and they didn't know any different. My favourite is the coconut.

Reactions: Chook

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all. Last day of zero carbing

B - coffee and cream
L - tuna and pork scratchings
D - bacon, sausage and poached egg

Celebrating the end with a cheese board

Reactions: ziggy_w

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I haven't tried the coconut yet. So far I've found the vanilla and the chocolate with hazelnut. I think it's delicious and half the cost of the Oppo icecream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I haven't tried the coconut yet. So far I've found the vanilla and the chocolate with hazelnut. I think it's delicious and half the cost of the Oppo icecream.
I've had the chocolate but I'm not overly keen on the nut taste. Prefer the Whey Hay chocolate. But the coconut one is great.

Reactions: ziggy_w