What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Happy New Year to all! 7.2 at 0830.
My fbgs have often been in the low 7s over the festive period. But they have averaged 6.7 over last 7, 14 and 30 days, so within range, They do usually average around 6.3.
My New Year's resolution is to get bs down again, be more disciplined in what I eat. I also need to start walking again as I stopped because of bad weather and icy surfaces.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.3 today

stayed up late and went to the midnight torchlit walk and service, watched the fireworks and then had broccoli and cheese soup at about 12.30am ;) May I wish you all a happy and healthy new year! :joyful:

P

pollensa

Yes, you should test immediately on getting up. Taking a shower or any other activity will make your BG go up. :)

I am bewildered why testing before, after, during day, 1.2.3.4.5.6. a day??? why. The Doctors here in spain anyway say really testing fingers is not of use, they tell you, ignore the average blood sugar result on an A1C they say the A1C is god, really, I dont agree.

Putting the differences of doctors viewings, country to country, if the numbers cut offs are arbitrary at whim, random, chosen without medical or clinical evidence of why that particular cut off for random, 2hr after eat and fasting are in place which by the way differ worldwide due to Arbitrary numbers, how on earth do you know if your levels are correct, you may be worrying your high when you may be normal or pre diabetic zone????????

For example if one is over 100mg/dl in spain, up to 126mg/dl you are pre diabetic. In UK if you are 108mg/dl up to 125mg/dl you are pre diababetic, so if you get up and your 102mg/dl in spain you are pre, if you test in UK your 102mg/dl is normal as below 108mg/dl so you could be worrying at a number 102 unnecessarily.

I just cannot get my head around people T2 or T1 insulin or no insulin spend their entire day, testing re testing, testing....what can you do if your numbers are higher before lunch after lunch, are you going to run off to the doc?

I test my fingers only every 4 months out of curiosity nothing else, and I can confirm with happiness that they are consistent each 4 months around 80mg/dl fasting 85mg/dl random, 87mg/dl 2 hr after eat and even with space of 4 months the numbers vary only one or two max number either side, its not just a case of a good day, good luck, I test exactly the same times each four months.....

I dont have the worry of an up down, testing daily, hourly, before bed, wake up, after shower oh my goodness, you dont have life surely giving oneself depression, worry anxiety stress because a number may not be what you expect or want, numbers go up or down diabetic or non diabetic for goodness sake.

Malllorca

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 24839
@Hi Troubled1 dry and light winds looking like rain for later here but never so blooming cold has where you are, hope you have some holidays due to relax a bit with family now Christmas is over. Your BG levels are well in range, wish mine where lower but after today it's back to watching what I eat and some fasting has my diabetic review is coming up in January need to get rid of the Christmas and New Year foods I've eaten some way.Again wishing you a fabulous 2018 and take care when your out and about in the weather conditions you drive in! If I sound like your mother that's because I'm old enough to be it!K
Posted a photo of me when I was 4stone heavier than I am now, will update me Has I am now at a later date no photos of me since losing the weight! K
lovely photo kathleen xx

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just cannot get my head around people T2 or T1 insulin or no insulin spend their entire day, testing re testing, testing....what can you do if your numbers are higher before lunch after lunch, are you going to run off to the doc?

So I'm starting this fine New Year with a 5.2 and this also happens to be one month since getting my glucometer. The first few days, I had readings in the 9-11mmol/l range, and I can see how over 1 month, that's dropped down through 8, 7, 6 and now more 5s. So basically telling me my diet changes appear to be working, and my BG's in a safer range. Then testing pre/post meal helps me understand what effect that meal's had on me. And if it's low pre-meal, maybe I'll splurge and have something with a little more carbs in it.

I dont have the worry of an up down, testing daily, hourly, before bed, wake up, after shower oh my goodness, you dont have life surely giving oneself depression, worry anxiety stress because a number may not be what you expect or want, numbers go up or down diabetic or non diabetic for goodness sake.

For me, knowing the numbers helps me understand and manage my diabetes. I think this is important. HbA1c may be the 'gold standard', but it's also a 3 month average. And maybe the result would be high, and I'd done some damage during those 3 months. For me, the uncertainty of not knowing whether my diet/exercise changes were having any effect would be more stressful.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5.8 this morning. I’m baffled!! Yesterday was my mother’s birthday. We went for a visit and there was junk food everywhere. So I ate it. Got home and my wife made chicken but I was too full of junk to eat.
Later in the evening we watched a couple movies and I got into some more junk. The only good things I had yesterday was coffee with cream and berries with cream.
@Granny_grump_ we just learned our daughter’s martial arts school is closing down. She now wants to join an MMA school and get into competitive fighting. I set up a heavy bag for her that I had from when my wife and I were in Tai Kwondo and she’s been going at it as part of her daily 90 minute workout. We truly think she gets high on her workouts.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Granny_grump_ we just learned our daughter’s martial arts school is closing down. She now wants to join an MMA school and get into competitive fighting. I set up a heavy bag for her that I had from when my wife and I were in Tai Kwondo and she’s been going at it as part of her daily 90 minute workout. We truly think she gets high on her workouts.

Ah, endorphins! Those workout highs. I used to fight competitively, and MMA-style competition is a very different beast to traditional Taekwondo, especially if she's looking to try full contact. I started doing that, and although it's good for speed, a lot of the flashy high kicks tend not to work so well in the ring. Especially if the opponent knows the style. If she's going from no-contact or light contact to full contact MMA, the timing and distances are also very different, ie getting closer and punching through your target. There's also more grappling & groundwork in MMA, so I'd recommend Jiu-jitsu, which is also great as a self-defence skill.

Reactions: Aginoth

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
5.8 this morning. I’m baffled!! Yesterday was my mother’s birthday. We went for a visit and there was junk food everywhere. So I ate it. Got home and my wife made chicken but I was too full of junk to eat.
Later in the evening we watched a couple movies and I got into some more junk. The only good things I had yesterday was coffee with cream and berries with cream.
@Troubled1 Hi again she sounds a great daughter and I'm sure your both very proud of her she seem to have got her head screwed on right,our youngest son got his son into sports at 4 years old rugby of all things he loved it. He went on to be a premier league rugby player and played for Widnes Vikings, but when he was acting captain they played a game against Warrington Wolves and he collided with another player and smashed his knee clean in half he had surgery to repair it and got himself match fit within 6 months and played again but the knee went again and he realised it was the end of his professional career with lots of upset. He was then offered a career Has coach for the Widnes Vikings under 19s training them,and now he is head coach for them so he is still connected to rugby but on a different pathway. That's life isn't it but my heart goes out to him for we all know he would go back to playing in a heartbeat if he had the choice. So encouraged your daughter and support her in her choices for we never know what is round the corner. And watch that junk! Says she who's done exactly the same But it's Christmas and New Year so I think we can forgive ourselves and move on? K

Reactions: Aginoth

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
7.7 @ 13:36 but haven’t eaten in over 12 hours
@rayhigginson it's not everyone's cup of tea but fasting is my way of controlling BG,excepting this time of year I've done ok,I don't eat after evening meal until late morning or early lunchtime next day 16 to 18 hours sometimes longer if I need to. But if you drive for a living you would need to make sure your BG doesn't drop less than 5 or you could have a false hypo, just test throughout your fasting periods if that's the way you take. Is it due to your job you are not always able to eat what you know wouldn't raise your BG? Is this why you cannot get them always within range? K

Reactions: Aginoth and ziggy_w