What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I was hoping it’d be lower but it seems churlish to be miserable about what is a good result!

Ive been using the MySugr App which a few people on here have, and have said is pretty accurate - my average on that is 38

I think it may be the morning rise which Im still experiencing, but don’t necessarily notice, especially if I skip breakfast - I’ll take fbg then not test again til lunch, meantime the bg has probably risen but not been recorded by me.

I felt so nervous logging into the patient access site for the results - worse than waiting for exam results at school.

I feel so relieved now though, knowing that I can do something about it and that all the advice and help Ive had on here has been spot on. I certainly wouldn’t have done it if I hadn’t found this forum. I’m so grateful to everyone here.
Will be interesting to see what’s said at your review! Know what you mean about the nervous exam result feeling.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you change meter?

We're wandering a bit off topic, but didn't want to ignore your post.

It's not a problem with my meter - I'm very happy with it. Rather it's the issue of the meter and the HbA1c measuring different things. I test 7 times a day (sometimes more if I'm going to the gym as I test before and after that), and while that gives me a good idea of which meals I can tolerate and my general trends (which is really all I need to know to manage as an unmedicated type 2), it is not an accurate prediction of A1c - each reading is at a specific point in time and there's no way of knowing how long I've spent at that particular level.

The HbA1c is measuring an average over 2-3 months, and there are challenges with that due to the differences in glycation etc.

Like @DJC3 it can be hard not to be disappointed when the meter average is better than the lab test, so I find it helpful to remember the differences.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I knew I'd seen it somewhere - the creamy potato salad that isn't!

https://recipes.mercola.com/keto-potato-salad-recipe.aspx

Oh, now that makes me hanker for my mother's homemade potato salad. 4 ingredients; cold new potatoes, salad cream, chopped chives fresh from the garden and salt/pepper.
BEST EVER!
Far better than anything bought, or fancied up with onion or mayo.

So I reckon I could make some with cold, cooked cauli, salad cream (2.9g carbs/15ml) and chopped chives.

Oh. Drat. I'm not eating veg at the mo, am I? Sigh. And I was getting all excited too...

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BGs are really not good at the moment. Bed Tuesday night 8.1 FBG 7.6. Pain is back in my arms so back on the painkillers again. I think it's referred pain as my neck and shoulder is a bit sore.
Wednesday

B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 2 of Sainsburys outdoor bred GF pork sausages, fried egg and 2 rashers back bacon.
L. Nothing
D. Using up leftovers - 6 hot and spicy chicken wings, fresh anchovies, mozzarella pearls, tuna red onion and bean salad, 1/2 avocado and 4 Santini tomatoes.
2 squares Lindt 90%

Today Thursday

Very early rise as No 2 grandson had to be in Nursery before 8am as a photographer was coming from the local paper to get group photos of all the youngsters who will be heading off to school after the summer holidays.
Bed 7.9 FBG 7.6. Still on painkillers.
B. Same as yesterday. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 2 Sainsbury's outdoor bred GF pork sausages, 2 rashers back bacon, Santini tomatoes and a fried egg.
L. Nothing
D. Poached salmon fillet, lettuce, tomato and 1/2 avocado - Helmanns.
Halo Top and raspberries.

@DJC3 - WELL DONE. Great results.

Reactions: DJC3

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late for yesterday.....unplanned IF as felt sick all day so only a little chicken and a small handful of buttered sprouts @ 6.30pm

Today....scales had moved down! Not worth the sick feeling tho, in my opinion.

B: Coffee with cream watered down and streamed into a cappuchino....thanks to whoever mentioned doing that with the cream, it was lovely!
L: 3 salami slices filled with cream cheese, 3 olives and a cacao/cream sort of mousse but not thing!
D: will be...2 soft boiled eggs mashed with butter and a little cheddar served in little gem boats.

Keeping carbs under 10g a day is now easy and I feel my body likes it...thinking of trying the beef and butter fast for a couple of days next week, anyone else tried it?

Finally....thanks to all who post here, I get such great ideas and it keeps my motivation high....please consider yourselves hugged, winner'd and thanked...you are stars

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
First off thank you all for your lovely comments and congratulations, you really are the best bunch of people ever. Ive found this thread particularly helpful and have unashamedly pinched many ofyour ideas. Thanks and hugs.

Just getting ready for our Macmillan cancer fundraising evening. Being Macmillan there’ll be a LOT of cake, but I have the trusty choc olive oil cake so will be fine. I’m doing a nice low carb buffet - lots of salami, cold meat, lovely cheese, olives etc. I bought a big pork pie for those that fancy it, but Ive. never liked pork pie so won’t be tempted.
@maglil55 thanks for the alternative potato salads, wish I’d seen earlier today, I might have made them tonight. Ive bought a cheap Tesco one for this evening and I think that’ll be easy to resist.

So far today Ive had
B: coconut porridge and raspberries
L: salmon fillet and salad. Sugar free jelly and cream

Meat and cheese etc later as detailed above, with a glass or 2 of red to make up for yesterday ( not too many though or I’ll end up eating the pork pie!)

@maglil hope the pain killers kick in soon

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We're wandering a bit off topic, but didn't want to ignore your post.

It's not a problem with my meter - I'm very happy with it. Rather it's the issue of the meter and the HbA1c measuring different things. I test 7 times a day (sometimes more if I'm going to the gym as I test before and after that), and while that gives me a good idea of which meals I can tolerate and my general trends (which is really all I need to know to manage as an unmedicated type 2), it is not an accurate prediction of A1c - each reading is at a specific point in time and there's no way of knowing how long I've spent at that particular level.

The HbA1c is measuring an average over 2-3 months, and there are challenges with that due to the differences in glycation etc.

Like @DJC3 it can be hard not to be disappointed when the meter average is better than the lab test, so I find it helpful to remember the differences.
I see. Liver dumping obviously is the difference. Eradicate liver dumping will change that.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@Rachox if DJC3 hasn’t time with her event the recipe is Nigellas chocolate olive oil cake but uses erythritol instead of sugar. It uses almond flour and so works out with the erythritol at only 18g of carb for the whole cake I use 100% cocoa and works out as this. I can stick to one 18th as it’s rich and with double cream it barely makes a ripple on the bg! All of us cake makers recommend it.....
@Mufflana pleased you’re over your bug but sounds like every cloud!
@DJC3 good luck tonight hope you have a great time
@maglil55 hope you feel better soon can imagine the pain does put up your bgs as well as making you feel yuk please accept a hug from me
Brunch - later as back to Pilates today and can’t exercise after food! - livlife low carb toast with egg fried in butter followed by one square 90% choc
Dinner chilli with olives and garlic bread made with Livlife , one slice followed by low carb lemon and lime mousse now on glass of red wine.
Just ordered a kg of fibre flour going to experiment with it later this weekend will let you know!

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @Goonergal for the recipe, thinking it’d be a nice Easter treat. I think i’ll Break out the baking tin tomorrow. I have erythritol icing sugar equivalent would that work as I don’t have time to get granulated equivalent sent now?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Prét a Manger with my daughter: small coconut & chicken curry soup followed by vegan coconut bite bar.
Mid-afternoon: Hartley’s 10cal jelly and a black coffee.
Dinner: omelette with mushrooms and mature cheddar with a salad of cauliflower, broccoli and radishes followed by strawberries with Oppo chocolate & hazelnut ice-cream.

marvinlzinn1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
As typical, my breakfast is a big organic salad to which I make dressing with olive oil, lemon juice and a lot of garlic. Yes, I do eat chocolate candy, but only organic with very little sugar (85% chocolate today).

I never had a threat of diabetes, but learned how the most dangerous addictive drug in the world is SUGAR. I proved from practice it causes cancer to grow, which I stopped with herbs after refusing surgery. My weight has not changed five pounds in 50 years.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - alpro soya yogurt with almond and some peanut butter (not mixed together! - just trying to have things I usually snack on within meal times now)
L - tuna, houmous, coleslaw, rocket, tomatoes, avocado
D - egg muffins with feta plus roast veg