What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: keto porridge (coconut, almonds, flax, chia, fruit, coconut oil).

Drove back from time away, and clearly got too exhausted...

Lunch: tub of Chocolate Oppo followed by peanuts.

Not my best day, will definitely be getting back on track tomorrow.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25923 Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from one slice of HiLo bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and a black coffee.
Dinner: cold roast chicken with salsa of raw cauli and broccoli, coleslaw and pork scratchings, followed by the famous olive oil chocolate cake. The cake was lovely, really filling, will have a smaller slice next time, I can’t move now!
Wow looks amazing but I can only manage a small slice - as you’ve found out it’s very rich !

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow looks amazing but I can only manage a small slice - as you’ve found out it’s very rich !

Well I must be very greedy as I can manage quite a large slice! Have got out one of the diddy springform tins I bought a while back to try making a very small version tomorrow.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok.....was meant to beef and butter fast (today and tomorrow as Sun family commitments)..... cooked up the mince with onion and garlic powder, loads of butter and herbs.
Ate my first meal at around 12.30, very rich but tasted good.
6.30.....weirdly the hungriest I have been since coming back to keto, more beef and butter.

Now that should have been it...hunger should be zero as loads of butter....hunger not at zero and feel odd....so.....slice of gouda slathered in marmite and cream cheese....oops.....not the zc two day fest I was planning.....will the scales show any movement or mercy....?!

@Rachox the picture of the olive oil cake looks wonderful......it will now be by contribution to Easter Sunday...chocolate for all without the carbs!

Happy Easter All

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
B- coffee w/cream x2, toasted LC bread w/liverwurst
L- leftover potato salad (small portion), BP coconut choc square
D- baked ham, MFP bacon cheese cauliflower casserole, salad + scalloped potatoes, garlic bread for hubby & guests

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Evening all hope good Friday a good holiday for you all
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg fried in coconut oil
Lunch low carb toast, one slice, with a mix of advocado - mashed together with lemon juice, advocado oil, and smoked salmon strips - piled on top
Dinner fried salmon, home made hollandaise sauce (delia Smith) and zucchini fritters ( diet dr) inspired by @ziggy_w but these use psyllium husk rather than potato fibre which I couldn’t find in uk - lovely followed by lemon and lime mousse and glass of white wine......
As it’s Easter may have a bit of 90% choc with my coffee later !
My fibre flour arrived today so bread may be tried tomorrow if time.......
Are you using virgin coconut oil to cook your eggs? If so, does it taste of coconut?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox the picture of the olive oil cake looks wonderful......it will now be by contribution to Easter Sunday...chocolate for all without the carbs!

Happy Easter All

I’m actually finding Easter (this is my first one as a diabetic) harder than Christmas, I suppose because there is such a focus on chocolate. I lost count of the times I had to refuse chocolate eggs at work this week :(
Hence it had to be chocolate cake for an Easter weekend treat!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you using virgin coconut oil to cook your eggs? If so, does it taste of coconut?
Hi yes and no - it smells like coconut oil when you cook but surprisingly it doesn't affect taste of the food I find i use it for omlettes etc too as think it goes well into the background. Worth experimenting with as believe it's good for HDL cholesterol which I'm working on improving and more stable at high temperatures than olive oil for example - hope you agree if you try !

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Sorry been away. The bread recipe takes some experimenting. And it seems to come out different every time. If you can tolerate eggs then one egg with 10g of each ‘flour’, plus 10g oil. Trying with and without raising agent - eg 1/2 tsp GF baking powder.

My latest version is below (without eggs):

Starting with a bigger batch sometimes seems to help a bit with being thicker, currently, I have been successful with

10g each of ground flax, ground almonds, coconut flour (so 30g total), with 1/4 teaspoon each of cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda - stir the dry mix together.

Add 20g mix of olive oil, melted coconut oil and melted butter (I’ve started using more fat to help it stick together more, because eggs don’t like me much).

And enough water to bind it.

Sometimes I soak the flax seed first to bring out its “gel”

I’ve also tried it with a tablespoon of Coyo yoghurt added, which works well too, one time it came out really ‘cheese’ flavoured, but I’ve not managed to repeat that.

I spread the final mix in an oiled Pyrex dish. Then microwave it until it is firm in the middle.

I have to microwave it for quite a while. I generally put it in on full for 2 minutes, then check it - it is normally still rather wet at this point, so I score the ‘slices’ and put it back in. I keep doing this until the bit in the middle is firmer - that is the benefit of scoring the slices - it lets the middle cook better.

Sometimes I dry it off in the oven. Or I lift it and turn it over to let the dampness out of the underneath. It is an art that I am learning. And generally each time I get something useable. It generally varies between bread-like and oat-cake.

I’ve tried the other keto bread recipes for DD and KetoDiet.app, but for me they end up uncooked on the inside, so I do the microwave flat slices, because for my ingredients and cooking methods they seem the most reliable.

But for all the experimenting, the variety that the ‘bread’ adds without the BG impact and without the gluten, it is worth it.

I hope this has been helpful. All the best in your bread experimenting.

Thank you @PW1 I will give it another go and keep tweaking as you say. I Would very much like some sort of bread. Even the Lidl protein rolls seem to have too much impact on my bg at the mo.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox the cake looks wonderful, I know what you mean about the difficulty around chocolate at Easter. This cake is so rich and chocolatey it really ticks all the boxes doesn’t it?

My family say they prefer it to other cakes now ( but that’s maybe because I don’t make other cakes anymore)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox the cake looks wonderful, I know what you mean about the difficulty around chocolate at Easter. This cake is so rich and chocolatey it really ticks all the boxes doesn’t it?

My family say they prefer it to other cakes now ( but that’s maybe because I don’t make other cakes anymore)

It’s a very good recipe, I tried a different low carb one before in my slow cooker but it wasn’t as good as this one. Hubby enjoyed it too!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
E24DBC75-4BF8-48C8-BE8D-BC9A6D341720.jpeg Evening all hope you’ve had a good day. I’ve been experimenting with my new fibre flour and made a roti to go with my Saturday night curry! It’s delicious and about 3.5g of carb so just under my normal low carb bread livlife which is 3.8. Will edit later to add my bg reaction but should be okay. Know it looks like a map of Africa rather than a circular roti but intend to practice!
Breakfast half tomato fried with one slice of bacon and one egg
Lunch one slice livlife bread toasted with advocado and smoked salmon piled on
Dinner chicken curry and roti followed by low carb raspberry mousse and a gin and soda water.
I’m going to try bread and maybe even a cake at some stage with the flour if bloods ok. . Fibre flour does have gluten in it so wouldn’t suit if you are wheat/ gluten intolerant but if you’re not it’s a good low carb alternative to coconut flour and almond flour. Unfortunately expensive like most low carb cooking ingredients!
Edit done my bgs and up 0.8 so not horrendous but more than usual. It’s more common for me to be up to a max of 0.5 - 2 hours after meal. Oh well will try it again and see - it may be I didn’t use enough oil in the cooking or maybe the raspberries in the pud which were eaten quite a while after main so only 50mins before testing....

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Started out intending to just eat dinner and ended up with a feasting day.

Brunch - really hungry about 90 minutes after returning from the gym. Didn’t fancy anything in the fridge so took a Lidl protein out of the freezer and had it with butter (the nice Waitrose one with sea salt crystals) and almond butter. Really hit the spot.

Dinner - Waitrose lamb kleftico followed by a small portion of lazy mousse. @Brunneria I’m so glad you gave me the idea of a 2 ingredient mousse. It’s so easy and really tasty!

Off to Edinburgh for a few days in the morning, so may not be posting so much.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Started out intending to just eat dinner and ended up with a feasting day.

Brunch - really hungry about 90 minutes after returning from the gym. Didn’t fancy anything in the fridge so took a Lidl protein out of the freezer and had it with butter (the nice Waitrose one with sea salt crystals) and almond butter. Really hit the spot.

Dinner - Waitrose lamb kleftico followed by a small portion of lazy mousse. @Brunneria I’m so glad you gave me the idea of a 2 ingredient mousse. It’s so easy and really tasty!

Off to Edinburgh for a few days in the morning, so may not be posting so much.
Have a good time in Scotland hope weather kind to you and you manage to sort out your food. I’m off to mums on Tuesday was going to be Monday but forecast not good. Enjoy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I’m so glad you gave me the idea of a 2 ingredient mousse. It’s so easy and really tasty!

Lazy Mousse is a BRILLIANT name for it. Thank you. It is hereby so named in perpetuity :D

And ‘lazy’ sums up my cooking style to a T.
I do actually know how to cook. But my goal has always been to enjoy without unnecessary hassle...

Today
9.30am steak, eggs and a few chips. Had it rare so the chips soaked up the juices.
3pm cheese
7pm 4x Black Farmers sausages

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: keto porridge (coconut, almond, flax)

Lunch: keto bread (coconut, almond, flax, oil), topped with lots of butter, plus cheese - melted so butter soaks in to bread and the cheese gets crisp round the edges. Leaves, celery, cucumber. Macadamia nuts.

Tea: tinned salmon, mixed leaves. Then Coyo, blackberries and macadamia nuts.

Also had some homemade ‘after-eights’ - came out surprisingly well. Can’t tolerate dairy cream so used coconut cream in middle. Just 100% choc, coconut oil, coconut cream and peppermint extract. The four I ate had no observable impact on my Libre BG.

One thing (or several) that has changed keto for me this last few months is that I’ve been experimenting with more non-meat cooking - breads, cookies, treat stuff - But making it all without sugar or sweetener. The added variety has helped immensely without increasing the carbs. It also helps that I moved house and now have a proper kitchen and a dishwasher.

For my fatigue levels I seem to get on best if I do the majority of the food prep before breakfast. Then I can relax while eating breakfast and know that the other meals are ready when needed.

Hope you’ll having a good weekend (it has been very wet here today).