What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting early today as I’m off to London shortly with my daughter to see Harry Styles with my daughter at the O2 Arena and we won’t be back til very late!
Dinner will be at Nando’s before the concert, hoping to be able to make some sensible low carb choices there.
Anyway, breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x boiled eggs and Marmite soldiers made from 1 x slice of HiLo bread toasted followed by a small slice of carrot cake with cream.
Mid-afternoon: (on the coach) I’ll have water flavoured with Tesco One Squeeze and an Adonis bar.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner will be at Nando’s before the concert, hoping to be able to make some sensible low carb choices there.

Nando's is one of my go-to places when eating out. Definitely lots of low carb choices. I take my own mayonnaise to up the fat content, but their creamy salad dressing is low carb - nutrition information is not on their website, but I got it from them via email.

Enjoy the concert.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late from yesterday so 2 in one!

B. Bacon and eggs
L. not hungry
D. Pan fried tuna in butter with creamed spinach

today :
B. Cheese omelette, cooked in bacon fat
L. bits of low carb tapas from M&S
T. Roast chicken and the rest of the creamed spinach

I see tat lots of us have an M&S Food Hall nearby....my latest 'find' is their newish tapasy stule offerings....loads that are low carb so terrific choices for us....love the manchego cheese rollitos.....too many to list but look out for them they are great options for us when out and about!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FCC806EB-D69F-4734-BF82-213964E6E127.jpeg
Nando's is one of my go-to places when eating out. Definitely lots of low carb choices. I take my own mayonnaise to up the fat content, but their creamy salad dressing is low carb - nutrition information is not on their website, but I got it from them via email.

Enjoy the concert.

On the coach now perusing Nando’s menu and if you click the “i” which I’ve circled in this screenshot there’s excellent nutritional info.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3,

Your trip to Iceland sounds wonderful. It must be really beautiful over there.

Regarding the pizza, just plain sour cream, then sprinkle with cheese and whatever topping you enjoy. Traditionally for a tarte flambe it's onion and bacon, but there are also variations. I just put anything I like on it.

Sounds scrummy! I’m not over fond of tomato puree so this sounds much nicer to me. Thanks

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 that sounds horrible, hope you can rest up tomorrow. Make sure you keep the fluids up.

@Rachox have a brilliant time, hope you’re not deafened tomorrow by all the screaming! I love Nandos too - lots of great low carb choices. I didn’t know about the ‘i’ giving you the nutritional info though. Thanks for the tip. I have used carbs and cals app previously.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@maglil55 rest up - sounds like you’re having a terrible time.

A really hungry day today - who says you can’t have cravings on keto!

Took lunch to work but ended up eating it as a late breakfast - woke on 4.3 and was down to 3.8 by 10.15 and so hungry. Think the hunger was down to last night’s gym visit which was on top of 20,000 steps yesterday.

Breakfast was a Lidl protein roll with smoked salmon and cream cheese.

Lunch - still hungry. Went to the new M&S food hall and bought some of their chorizo crisps - delicious - which were supplemented by a bag of pork crunch. Took all my self control to avoid buying a large bar of 85% chocolate (I knew it would all be consumed if bought). Was then craving it all afternoon but managed to stay at my desk.

Dinner - chicken leg coated in Parmesan and garlic salt followed by the last of the runny chocolate chia pudding with cream.

Have booked on a pilates class tonight - never done it before but thought I’d give it a try.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@DJC3 iceland sounds great well done on keeping at the low carb it is hard when you can’t plan at least taking your testing kit meant you saw the hidden stuff!
@Rachox hope your Nando’s is enjoyable it’s my fave meal out now I’m low carb. Grilled stuff seems a safer bet generally. Hope concert good fun too
@maglil55 sorry to hear about your flu it sounds nasty - be very kind to yourself and put your feet up as much as possible - know you look after the grandkids a fair bit so hoping you can
@Goonergal - hope you enjoy your Pilates I love it and going for my weekly session in the morning is one of my favourite bits of the week and it really does tighten up the tummy if you learn and practice the core muscles exercises. Sounds like you are working really hard on your fitness at the moment - it’s bound to make you more hungry. As you get thinner you do feel hunger on keto I find - it’s the body fighting back!
@Mufflana good tip about tapas in m and s I live a distance from one but do go occasionally and planning a trip to a big one next monday so shopping list growing belly pork, tapas ........
Well today:
Brunch cheese omelette followed by two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner chilli con carne with black olives not beans plus got two oopsies out of freezer and made into garlic bread really enjoyed followed by raspberry mousse

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Struggling with boredom and cravings today. V interesting.
Trouble is, I can’t work out what the cravings are for!

I’m not craving sweet, or carbs, or veg, or choc, or protein.
In fact all that protein yesterday felt like a surfeit.
Instead I seem to be craving crunch and fat. And salt.
Which is weird, because the only thing i know that is crunchy fat is crackling (roast pork skin). But even that doesn’t really appeal.

Anyway, today’s food has not addressed these cravings at all, so the search continues...

12.30pm pulled pork and a baked egg
3pm chorizo crisps with cream cheese
6pm half a dozen garlicky herby meatballs with more cream cheese

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening

@shelley262 Not sure it was a good idea to see the scarily high results of my mistakes though!
I forgot to say yesterday that I found some great 0 carb snacks in Iceland called Lava Cheese with chilli - like the parmesan crisps you can make, I bought a few boxes back so I just need t find out if they’re available on line now.

Today a nice leisurely breakfast with no 1 daughter who went home to Cornwall today: scrambled egg and smoked salmon. Coffee with cream.

Lunch: a toasted Oopsie with goats cheese, avocado and bit of red pepper for crunch. Then Greek yoghurt raspberries and a grated HC button

Mid aft: Adonis blondie

Dinner: DD keto chicken casserole with spinach, a spoonful of Oppo hazelnut and choc ice cream in a minute, and the last half glass of wine left over from yesterday.
IMG_4748.jpg

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was my second day LCHF (and second day as a diabetic!) I actually did a 24 hour fast as I found it hard to find sensible options away from home. Did have a bulleti proof coffee though. Surprisingly didn’t feel that hungry.

So all I’ve eaten today was dinner.

Gammon streak
Low carb sausage
Cauli with cheese and cream
Asparagus
Garlic butter mushrooms.

I didn’t manage to eat much before feeling full which was a surprise. Just goes to show how filing fat can be.

Do today’s foods seem ok?

16g carbs
127g protein
70g fat

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was my second day LCHF (and second day as a diabetic!) I actually did a 24 hour fast as I found it hard to find sensible options away from home. Did have a bulleti proof coffee though. Surprisingly didn’t feel that hungry.

So all I’ve eaten today was dinner.

Gammon streak
Low carb sausage
Cauli with cheese and cream
Asparagus
Garlic butter mushrooms.

I didn’t manage to eat much before feeling full which was a surprise. Just goes to show how filing fat can be.

Do today’s foods seem ok?

16g carbs
127g protein
70g fat
Hi you’re doing really well going in with a fast can be easier todo this when difficult to find the right food. Only thing would adjust a bit - and know myself it’s hard - is the protein fat ratio maybe a bit less protein and a bit more fat? You could look at how to add more fat - fattier meats and fish can help or adding something like coconut oil or butter to fry leaner meats. When away and eating grilled food I try to add olive oil and full fat mayo to the lean meAt or fish. Also I do drink a fair bit of coffee with cream which helps as do nibbles of full fat cheese, nuts and high perc3ntage chocolates! Keep going you’re doing well.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi you’re doing really well going in with a fast can be easier todo this when difficult to find the right food. Only thing would adjust a bit - and know myself it’s hard - is the protein fat ratio maybe a bit less protein and a bit more fat? You could look at how to add more fat - fattier meats and fish can help or adding something like coconut oil or butter to fry leaner meats. When away and eating grilled food I try to add olive oil and full fat mayo to the lean meAt or fish. Also I do drink a fair bit of coffee with cream which helps as do nibbles of full fat cheese, nuts and high perc3ntage chocolates! Keep going you’re doing well.

Thank you for the feedback. I know you are absolutely right about the protein. I just feel a bit sick with all the fat I’ve consumed today. I think In future when I am home to plan and prepare, I will eat more oily fish, avocado and salads with cheese/olive oil/mayo.

I was a little dissapointed with my SMBG readings though. After a 24hr fast my reading was 9.1mmol. I guess my liver is kicking out a lot of glucose?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was absolutely delicious, not sure I entirely remember what regular pizza tastes like now, not eaten one since October last year, but this was so nice, I will definitely make it again.
Tried to upload a pic but not having any luck.......

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the feedback. I know you are absolutely right about the protein. I just feel a bit sick with all the fat I’ve consumed today. I think In future when I am home to plan and prepare, I will eat more oily fish, avocado and salads with cheese/olive oil/mayo.

I was a little dissapointed with my SMBG readings though. After a 24hr fast my reading was 9.1mmol. I guess my liver is kicking out a lot of glucose?
It’s really eArly days to get good results especially as you’ll be chucking out all the glycogen from your liver. I did about a month of lCHF initially before went on to fasting as a method this was just a personal choice partly because I hadn’t discovered fasting at that stage so my bgs had gone down a bit already when fasted but even then had high readings and sometimes even higher readings when fasting. It can take months to get your readings down and especially the morning fasting one. This is probably not what you want to hear but most of us go up and down and particularly in the early days. However slowly but surely you will notice your overall averages come down persistently if you stick with it and your hbaca1 which is the important average will see a big impact from your new way of eating and fasting. You will get there it’s just early days ....

Reactions: maglil55