What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks for the good wishes @SueJB. The 5.4 is fine if I have eaten or drunk something worth the concentration of glucose but fasting definitely fails to fit the criteria. I also agree that numbers are relative. You are a type 1 so I would imagine targets would be widely different. The weather is actually useful, do they not say "a dripping June puts everything in tune"?
@ianpspurs me and madam continually despair at the strangeness of numbers. My carbs are so low we don't know where to go next. We will continue to try and know you will too. T1 is hard but so is T2:)

Reactions: flexi06

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
7:52am FBG 5.1, and that's perfectly fine, BUT the 12:40 pre prandial of 6.6 is not. I'm not worried as such, just very very puzzled, because I'd had nothing to eat in between those 2 readings. Only 3 mugs of tea with a tiny bit of cream. Same thing happened yesterday. I thought it was down to my forgotten meds (jardiance, victoza and metformin), but no.
@briped like you I'm continually puzzled by readings, we'll get to where we want to be though, onwards and downward is the only way to go. You can do it... and me too

Reactions: ziggy_w and flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs We will continue to try and know you will too. T1 is hard but so is T2:)
@SueJB It seems to me that managing this condition is like trying to hit a continually moving target. Yesterday's fbg, sleep pattern, energy level etc are not necessarily the same as today's so the routine will need adjusting. It is an art not a Science and results will be unpredictable. I can understand that I just don't like it:banghead: The same two meals and exercise regimes on two successive days will not produce the same results. I know this but I can't live in peace with the knowledge:banghead:

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB It seems to me that managing this condition is like trying to hit a continually moving target. Yesterday's fbg, sleep pattern, energy level etc are not necessarily the same as today's so the routine will need adjusting. It is an art not a Science and results will be unpredictable. I can understand that I just don't like it:banghead: The same two meals and exercise regimes on two successive days will not produce the same results. I know this but I can't live in peace with the knowledge:banghead:
@ianpspurs You've condensed it perfectly. It IS totally unfathomable, same food on different days, it's neither an art nor a science more intuition, informed guess work and luck. The up side to it all is that your numbers, even though you may not be enamoured by them, are very good. Wouldn't we all like to see something lower? Off to static cycle now, know where I'm trying to go but don't know if madam will agree tomorrow.:):)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs The up side to it all is that your numbers, even though you may not be enamoured by them, are very good. Wouldn't we all like to see something lower? Off to static cycle now, know where I'm trying to go but don't know if madam will agree tomorrow.:):)
@SueJB Hope the static bike goes well. It is not so much that I am not enamoured of my numbers as that screaming at me from my spreadsheet are much better numbers from either the same inputs and outputs (or even theoretically worse). It is infuriating but in a perverse way endearing!

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@briped like you I'm continually puzzled by readings, we'll get to where we want to be though, onwards and downward is the only way to go. You can do it... and me too
Precisely. Obama said it for us, but still I can't help wondering. :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Oh I love that song. It's right up there among the 10 best songs ever written.
@briped I'd like to know what the other 9 are. But this is my forever top and I want to be able to sing like Najma Akhtar and also play the mandoli like Jimmy and the Hurdy Gurdy, think that was Neil Eston.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@briped I'd like to know what the other 9 are. But this is my forever top and I want to be able to sing like Najma Akhtar and also play the mandoli like Jimmy and the Hurdy Gurdy, think that was Neil Eston.
Thanks a bunch. That was beautiful. What's the name of the band? A couple of the guys made me think of a story my hairdresser once told me. Back in the 80es it was very fashionable for bikers like HA to have this long very curly hair. I do remember seeing them riding their bikes, curly hair flowing behind them, wondering (again) how come they all had curly hair ...? I was quite enviouso_O Anyway, this hairdresser told me that some of them would come into her salon regularly to have their perms refreshed. Oh, the image of these tough, murderous guys sitting in her chair, rollers in their hair ... :hilarious::hilarious:
As to the rest of the 10 songs, I'm sure I'll forget so many great songs, but Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen would certainly be there.

Reactions: Prem51

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Well 5.1 is pretty good but I’m usally in the 4s but I’m happy with it anyway

Pretty good it’s an excellent number (5.1) some diabetics would kill to get a number like that

I hope you aren’t on insulin and don’t live in the UK and drive a car otherwise a reading under 5.0 means you are breaking the law by driving

If the above does not apply then please ignore otherwise you have excellent control

I’m not meaning to rant sorry

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty good it’s an excellent number (5.1) some diabetics would kill to get a number like that

I hope you aren’t on insulin and don’t live in the UK and drive a car otherwise a reading under 5.0 means you are breaking the law by driving

If the above does not apply then please ignore otherwise you have excellent control

I’m not meaning to rant sorry
Also cumbs wouldnt you have to take exercise into account if numbers were low i dont go the gym or nothing but im very active in work and i have to take less insulin at breakfast time because if i did my insulin to carb ratio i would drop very quickly into hypo territory and have done on many occasions hence the taking less also my half unit pen is a godsend

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Also cumbs wouldnt you have to take exercise into account if numbers were low i dont go the gym or nothing but im very active in work and i have to take less insulin at breakfast time because if i did my insulin to carb ratio i would drop very quickly into hypo territory and have done on many occasions hence the taking less also my half unit pen is a godsend

It’s very difficult trying to get the balance right Karen
You see if I get a reading of under 4.5 I’m very wary and eat some carbs sometimes even a little higher than that I can go hypo I have seen it happen

The obsession of being sub 5.0 is not healthy to any newbies looking in on this thread and may discourage them from posting be it a high reading, but that’s just my opinion and I know we’re all fighting our own individual battles and have our own targets but as far as I’m aware the minimum target range is 5.0

Reactions: karen8967