How Are You Coping With The Heat (uk)?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You just wait until you’ve acclimatised to our usual dank weather - you’ll be wilting like an unwatered flower in no time ;)

Yes, I told my American wife not to be too convinced by the present weather!

Reactions: Libby3781
K

Knikki

I like the heat, however I am finding a bit relentless at the moment, glucose levels, everything is fairly normal.

And yep I remember 76 I was doing year end exams and stewing in my own bodily fluids :hilarious:

Reactions: Dodo

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Despite significant weight loss in recent years, I still intensely dislike the heat! I didn't like it in 1976, and I still don't like it now.

Diabetes-wise, it's a bit of a learning curve this time with insulin now being part of the mix. I definitely head to hypo territory more quickly in the heat. Fortunately, I've always drunk plenty so am keeping well-hydrated.

Reactions: Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'm very comfortable in this heat. It could get even hotter for me. I don't care much for the cold though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hot dry weather I have never liked. I have been staying indoors much of the time in the shaded side of the house, with the door open. I go to the swimming pool daily, where the water is nice and cool. The air con in the car is on full. I am eating very little, but drinking lots of iced water, losing weight, and have had better BG levels than I have for a long time.

EffectOne

Well summer is hell for me as I have low blood sugar condition. So I slow down my page, wear a cap and eat small snacks in between the meals.

Last year I was driving along the seaside , and suddenly a hypo... Had to let my girlfriend drive to a shop for food.

Since then I carry food along with me. And I don't bother with an apple cause that doesn't help to get rid of a hypo for me.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
What are you doing to be able to cope?

It might not be Olympic size, but I can get in.

MyPool_opt.jpg

Just as an additional bit of info, I used www.webresizer.com to resize (less bytes).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember it well, I was at school sitting in scorching classrooms :dead:, but come the holidays I spent everyday on the beach! :cool:

I too remember it well. Just finished O levels and got a summer job in a fish and chip restaurant 3 days a week. Talk about hot! Also, ladybirds and hover flies in abundance. And the first summer dating my now husband. (Started young!)
Blood sugar levels just keep rising in this heat, am pumping bolus corrections in at an alarming rate. Still love it though.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In the summer of 76 I was 26 and stationed at RAF Filton Bristol . And Judith was working in the offices of the Concord development company.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cope with the heat very poorly it does affect my diabetes but MG is severely affected by high temperatures as well so very hot days I do not enjoy as much as I used to I remember 1976 very well hot days where no problem for me then.
I remember 1976 only too well. As you say being younger then meant it wasn't too much of a problem, except that I had a 15 month old who kept throwing up (usually over me) because of the heat.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I hope you are all doing ok? I’m just wondering how are you currently coping with the heat?
Obviously, in the UK we aren’t used to having such heat last for as long as it is.

Is the heat effecting you’re blood sugars?? If so, what effect is it having?

1. I’m making sure I’m drinking plenty.
  2. Keeping a fan on in my bedroom overnight.
  3. I also have a spray bottle I fill with cold water, so I can spray my face & neck during the night to keep me cool.
Please share any hints & tips you have to be able to cope in the heat? Thanks in advance
I find having a cool shower before bed helps as well as having the fan on all night.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I hope you are all doing ok? I’m just wondering how are you currently coping with the heat?
Obviously, in the UK we aren’t used to having such heat last for as long as it is.

Is the heat effecting you’re blood sugars?? If so, what effect is it having?

1. I’m making sure I’m drinking plenty.
  2. Keeping a fan on in my bedroom overnight.
  3. I also have a spray bottle I fill with cold water, so I can spray my face & neck during the night to keep me cool.
Please share any hints & tips you have to be able to cope in the heat? Thanks in advance

I have all the windows in my house open all day, been drinking lots of water and taking a iced bottle with me to bed, but the heat is making my blood sugars go up and down all week.

It doesn't help with working at KFC, I've had to go home a few times this week as my blood sugar levels were sky high and it caused a lot of backlash with other staff.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have all the windows in my house open all day, been drinking lots of water and taking a iced bottle with me to bed, but the heat is making my blood sugars go up and down all week.

It doesn't help with working at KFC, I've had to go home a few times this week as my blood sugar levels were sky high and it caused a lot of backlash with other staff.

Akindrat - I find in the heat (which I utterly adore, so no complaints from me in this weather), that my bloods are a lot more stable if I drink enough. Please do keep your fluids up, at work, as well as at home.

By the time we feel thirsty, we are already mildly dehydrated.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just seen the forcast (today, sunday 6pm) and there's no let up for next week and possibly hotter next weekend. Stay cool stay well folks.

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best 250 quid I ever spent was on a portable aircon unit. just hang the hose out the window and close the door, sheer bliss :)