What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you are feeling better?
Not really :( My throat is still sore and voice croaky, blood sugars aren’t happy either. However that’s exactly why I like to keep my HbA1c low, so I have some wriggle room for occasions such as this. I can stand a small rise but still stay within non diabetic levels. Thank you for asking.

Reactions: DJC3

Geoffno6

Hi @Geoff

hi @Geoffno6 welcome to this thread great that you are posting.
Can understand your concerns but what I see when looking at this is that your low carb eating is working in that g3nerally speaking your post two hour readings are not significantly higher than your pre meal readings. The general rule is to aim at no more than a rise of two two hours after a meal.
Issue is more that currently your pre meal readings are higher probably than you are aiming for however if you keep going all your numbers will come down. What was your hbaca1 on diagnosis and how long ago were you diagnosed? LCHF eating takes a while to produce results. I personally took months to take it down to a lower level.
You are doing great taking records, monitoring and counting carbs you will get there you’ll just need some patience to slowly move your figures downwards. Meanwhile aim is to keep the Post meal 2 hours later figure less than 2 above th3 pre dinner reading
Just a note too exercise can also put your bgs up on a temp basis but longer term exercise does help!
Hope this helps

Thanks for this @shelley262 yes, it’s really helpful.
I’m really heartened to hear that you reckon my numbers will improve, in fact it’s made me notice that maybe they’re creeping down a little already.
My Hba1c was 120 on 23rd June 2018 and I got my meter on 25th and had BG readings of 17 -19. I went on Metformin on 27th June starting at 500mg now up to 1500mg daily.
Thanks again I’m now gonna calm down and be more patient.

Geoffno6

I hope all goes well and your results reflect all your good work, I wouldn’t know what would be the best for you to do, my blood sugar rises during the morning regardless of whether I eat or not until lunchtime. Hopefully someone will have more constructive advice for you but I just wanted to wish you well x

Thanks jayney27

Geoffno6

Morning all. Very early to bed for me yesterday so just catching up over my morning cup of tea with cream (that’s the attempt to stay on topic)

@Geoffno6 Guessing you’re fairly newly diagnosed or new to LCHF? Agree with the advice you’ve been given above - your post meal readings show that this way of eating is agreeing with you as you are not spiking after eating. Your numbers should start to reduce overall as you continue.

@Rachox good luck with the blood tests - sure you will ace them! A nice gentle stroll should do the trick - apart from anything else it will be relaxing and distracting!

@shelley262 I hope today is a little less full on.

Thanks Goonergal yes diagnosed 27th June 2018 and started low carbing as soon as I used my tester regularly and saw all the spikes! Great to hear you think my numbers will reduce.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.
No time to post yesterday so doing it quickly now before I forget
B: smoked salmon scrambled egg avocado, coffee and cream.
L: Carvery at local pub 1slice each of turkey and beef. Broccoli, few carrots and cauliflower cheese. Followed by strawberries and the biggest scoop of clotted cream imaginable. I worried about the carbiness of the cheese sauce and carrots but 2 hr reading was 6.1, so I’m happy with that and look forward to going again.
MAS shared a bottle of champagne with daughter and her MIL in the garden while kids splashed in the paddling pool
D: small plate of olives, cheese and walnuts

@shelley262 I’m glad you had such a lovely day for your birthday and hope your son is able to join you for celebration #2 very soon.
@Rachox hope you start to feel better soon
@Geoffno6 good for you in sticking with the lchf way. I’m sure your numbers will start coming down soon. I saw a very gradual decrease for the first 4 months then suddenly everything seemed to click into place and now I’m rarely out of non- diabetic ranges. Good luck, keep doing what you’re doing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, yesterday started well with a PB time for my most used walk. Carried on nicely with long needed catch up with P side of family. Next part was even better returning grandson and seeing/holding his nameless new sister. Went down hill rapidly with major foot problems usually associated with tail end of illness - have been off my best but really didn't see that coming. A few days of mega fluid and Naproxen coming my way. Menu below:
Breakfast+Mid morning snack: 1.5 pint mug tea @ 5.00 am; 2 more pints tea from 6.00 to 7.00; mango and lychee green tea after pb time dog walk - bad news is it really cuts steps taken! By 11.30 I was very hungry so snacked on piece of cheese left from Jurassic age and some parmesan
Lunch + Afternoon snack: Grazed at family gathering; cheese; pork scratchings/rinds;Olives; lemon drizzle cake we took
Evening meal: ½ homemade high fibre choc bar to take Naproxen
Edit: Now I see it in print could cheese be an issue although it is usually a goto safe option - I did have some olives and it was hot so Poirot may have solved it! Coffee off limits for quite some time!

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55
M

Moggely

I really must try this porridge just for something different it sounds lovely. B. Usual bacon and eggs wrapped in spinach. L.Real lemon in soda water and low carb bread, more of a cake really about 2 cards.D.Chicken schnitzels with 3 Brussels sprouts and cali mash and a stalk of broccoli. Was feeling evil so had chia pudding with jelly and cream for dessert. Might even be more evil and have a square of 90% choc.:angelic:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.
No time to post yesterday so doing it quickly now before I forget
B: smoked salmon scrambled egg avocado, coffee and cream.
L: Carvery at local pub 1slice each of turkey and beef. Broccoli, few carrots and cauliflower cheese. Followed by strawberries and the biggest scoop of clotted cream imaginable. I worried about the carbiness of the cheese sauce and carrots but 2 hr reading was 6.1, so I’m happy with that and look forward to going again.
MAS shared a bottle of champagne with daughter and her MIL in the garden while kids splashed in the paddling pool
D: small plate of olives, cheese and walnuts

@shelley262 I’m glad you had such a lovely day for your birthday and hope your son is able to join you for celebration #2 very soon.
@Rachox hope you start to feel better soon
@Geoffno6 good for you in sticking with the lchf way. I’m sure your numbers will start coming down soon. I saw a very gradual decrease for the first 4 months then suddenly everything seemed to click into place and now I’m rarely out of non- diabetic ranges. Good luck, keep doing what you’re doing.
Seems like you are having a wonderful break in Cornwall and enjoying some lovely food, enjoy it all x

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really must try this porridge just for something different it sounds lovely. B. Usual bacon and eggs wrapped in spinach. L.Real lemon in soda water and low carb bread, more of a cake really about 2 cards.D.Chicken schnitzels with 3 Brussels sprouts and cali mash and a stalk of broccoli. Was feeling evil so had chia pudding with jelly and cream for dessert. Might even be more evil and have a square of 90% choc.:angelic:
I can recommend the coconut porridge, if indeed that's what you were referring too, I don't have it very often but when I do its a lovely treat, @Rachox is our expert, its her breakfast of choice every day.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really must try this porridge just for something different it sounds lovely
I can recommend the coconut porridge, if indeed that's what you were referring too, I don't have it very often but when I do its a lovely treat, @Rachox is our expert, its her breakfast of choice every day.

My all time favourite breakfast :hungry: I have it everyday with a couple of chopped up strawberries and cream :) Here’s a link to the recipe:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Reactions: Tricia1965

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Feeling slightly ‘off key’ with nothing definable, but definitely not myself. Also very hungry today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos, supplemented by Coop small pack of 4 chorizo and Gouda rollitos and 30g almonds

Dinner - 2 poached eggs, 3 rashers bacon, followed by lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons. Also ate 1 pack baked cheese found in Waitrose (see pic). Very small bag, but tasty.

0AB0B53C-89E4-40F4-9BA0-C315368EE0E7.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other day in Lidl, I spied these Skyr pouches. Allegedly there are assorted flavours, but our store only had vanilla there at the time.

I consumed this one earlier, having been in a meeting. It just knocked out the tummy rumbles I was having.

OK. Zero fat, but it would work again as a stop-gap, and being sealed, handbags are fairly safe from dribblages.

Attachments

• IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 277

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love soda water and sometimes have gin in it too it’s delicious

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Feeling slightly ‘off key’ with nothing definable, but definitely not myself. Also very hungry today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos, supplemented by Coop small pack of 4 chorizo and Gouda rollitos and 30g almonds

Dinner - 2 poached eggs, 3 rashers bacon, followed by lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 3 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons. Also ate 1 pack baked cheese found in Waitrose (see pic). Very small bag, but tasty.

View attachment 27926
Hope you feel better soon liking look of baked cheese good snack things not easy to find

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all very good day with mum - managed to help her to have her first outdoor swim in uk for years in my friend’s pool but it was hot Spanish type weather! She absolutely loved it - it was a very special afternoon.
Breakfast boiled egg and one slice LC bread
Lunch olive oil hummus, celery sticks and lc seeded crispbreads followed by small slice of choc birthday cake
Mid afternoon after swim hunger! Lc lemon drizzle cake and yoghurt
Dinner trout on bed of asparagus with lemon butter followed by sf jelly and a couple of home grown raspberries and yoghurt
Planning taking mum out for day tomorrow to Leominster a nearby countrymarket town in the welsh borders.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spent most of today hobbling about using a walking stick and taking way too many Naproxen. Food intake was really so that I had food with which to take tablets. Not happy with the menu but hopefully should be mobile by Wednesday - walking stick not needed just now. Menu:
Breakfast+Mid morning snack: 3 pints tea with h/m almond milk; 3 egg scrambled egg to take Naproxen; 2 pints water
Lunch + Afternoon snack: Avocado, Cucumber, Spam, Acv, water; ½ h/m chocky bar more Naproxen; 2 pints tea
Evening meal: Corned beef salad more water and more Naproxen

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love soda water and sometimes have gin in it too it’s delicious

I love gin, and sometimes have soda water in it.

Did I really say that? :angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:

A couple of weeks ago, I made some Ginammon™ (Cinammon infused gin - made sous vide). It's outrageously delicious!

It could readily be done by the age old method of infusion, but I'm not too great at waaiting.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

Day 3 being back on the wagon and I'm being reminded of how tasty LCHF can be. Why on earth did I ever jump off the wagon in the first place?

Breakfast - jelly and cream
Lunch - Cajun chicken from Sainsburys and a salad
Dinner - chicken fajitas without the tortillas. Loaded with cheese and soured cream

I think I was a bit heavy on the fat today but I'm getting back into it all and trying to stave off any hunger.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Day 3 being back on the wagon and I'm being reminded of how tasty LCHF can be. Why on earth did I ever jump off the wagon in the first place?

Breakfast - jelly and cream
Lunch - Cajun chicken from Sainsburys and a salad
Dinner - chicken fajitas without the tortillas. Loaded with cheese and soured cream

I think I was a bit heavy on the fat today but I'm getting back into it all and trying to stave off any hunger.
Welcome back on the wagon! Hope you find it helpful to post here I for one find it really helps me knowing I’ll be listing exactly what I did eat later,!