What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A great dane puppy, eh? Now there’s a handful!

How are everyone’s Advent Calendars going?
Mr B’s protein blob calendar is a triumph. I get the cocoa/orange ones (about every 5th day) He eats the rest.
My herb tea bag calendar is VERY disappointing. A good third of the contain matcha or green tea, so they go in the bin (caffeine and vile flavour). Of the rest there are a disturbing number with fennel and aniseed :yuck:. Then the rest are just kind of... mediocre.
Oh well.

Food the last couple of days has been virtuously carnivore (cheese, pulled pork, bacon and egg, roast pork, omelette) and sinfully maltesery. Won’t buy any more, so the preoccupation (carb cravingy obsession) will now fade. :happy:

My fleeting interest in Baileys has crashed and burned.
One small glass was very disappointing (I often find this with alcoholic drinks), and nowhere near worth wasting carbs on. :D
Obviously this is great news, and my carb frivols over Xmas can now take other directions.

Yes the pup is certainly a handful - 11st already!
My advent calendar contains pork scratchings and I’m thoroughly enjoying it - only 5g total weight per bag so work well as an appetiser when cooking dinner.
It’s probably just as well your Baileys fest didn’t last long, nothing good would have come of it!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Didn’t get to post yesterday. Up at the ridiculous hour of 3.30am and that combined with tree planting in the freezing cold led to a bedtime of 6.30pm!

Yesterday was a failed OMAD day. Doing well until got home from tree planting and decided to have a slice of lemon zucchini cake with extra thick double cream. Triggered all manner of nibbling of nuts, almond butter and cream. Still, didn’t need dinner and it fuelled me through a successful OMAD day today, which included 28.5k steps!

Today’s dinner was pork belly slices and 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages followed by lemon zucchini cake with extra thick double cream and my advent calendar chocolate. @Brunneria not sold on my advent calendar either. It’s the Hotel Chocolat 65% supermilk one. Lower carb than some of the darker ones but just a bit too sweet.

Hoping I can stay awake long enough to watch the final of the Apprentice.

Oh goodness! Up at 3:30 is ridiculous even for you! Not surprised you conked out at 6:30.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been round my daughter’s again all day today apart from quick trip home to get supplies and phone charger.

B: Coffee and cream

L: Fresh crab bought at the market on Fri with salad and 3 of the seedy crackers ( using @shelley262 ‘s adapted recipe) then 2 squares of @Goonergal ‘s cheesecake brownies.

D: The first meal from daughter’s new Instant Pot- 4 minute beef, it was a triumph and she’s really chuffed with her new toy. Had it with buttery cabbage and roast broccoli and a couple of glasses red wine.
Another lovely day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The pure chocolate one and the toffees for me.

Yes the pure chocolate ones - they were rare if I remember.
Someone in my primary school once got a Club biscuit which was all chocolate - no biscuit at all. It was obviously a mistake at the factory but the rest of the class all nagged our mums to give us Club biscuits in our lunchboxes in the hope of getting a solid chocolate one.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone in my primary school once got a Club biscuit which was all chocolate - no biscuit at all. It was obviously a mistake at the factory but the rest of the class all nagged our mums to give us Club biscuits in our lunchboxes in the hope of getting a solid chocolate one.

Ooh that sounds delicious.

2 squares of @Goonergal ‘s cheesecake brownies.

Wondered where they’d gone.

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been round my daughter’s again all day today apart from quick trip home to get supplies and phone charger.

B: Coffee and cream

L: Fresh crab bought at the market on Fri with salad and 3 of the seedy crackers ( using @shelley262 ‘s adapted recipe) then 2 squares of @Goonergal ‘s cheesecake brownies.

D: The first meal from daughter’s new Instant Pot- 4 minute beef, it was a triumph and she’s really chuffed with her new toy. Had it with buttery cabbage and roast broccoli and a couple of glasses red wine.
Another lovely day.

Was the 4-Minute Beef her first meal from her IP, or the first you had had with hereer, from the IP? It's amazing how that works, is't it?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all cooking day today in with all other to do stuff. Made lc lemon shortbread and herby crackers - a success with both see photo.
Feel I’ve been naughty eating wise but bgs very low all day so a winner
Breakfast bacon and egg plus wait for it my first spoonful of reduced sugar beans since went keto but small taste and bloods approved! So enjoyed them and will repeat experiment tomorrow to make sure - plus half a can left over! Mum loves beans so it was a treat for her that I thought I’d try!
Lunch herby crackers and cheese
Mid afternoon a lemon shortbread with coffee
Dinner brisket, roast veggies and glass red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse
Hope everyone has a good evening.
5A031627-B93D-47AC-8F79-325121B762AD.jpeg

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. No food to report - today has ended up being a fasting day (from a food point of view) as my throats just way too swollen to eat. I have however lost count of the number of cups of tea I’ve drank. And I already know that tonight is going to be a late one - when the insomnia comes it stays for around 5 nights before I crash and burn so I have several hours yet to drink even more.
Blood sugars all over the place (for me) with 6’s and even 7’s so whatever’s attacking my throat is doing a pretty good job of it! Tomorrow is a new day and it has to be better!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the 4-Minute Beef her first meal from her IP, or the first you had had with hereer, from the IP? It's amazing how that works, is't it?

It was her first meal from her new IP - I’d made it before and said it was brilliant so we sort of did it together. She asked for the IP for her bday after trying quite a few of my meals ( I got her one in the Black Friday deal you alerted me to!)

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. No food to report - today has ended up being a fasting day (from a food point of view) as my throats just way too swollen to eat. I have however lost count of the number of cups of tea I’ve drank. And I already know that tonight is going to be a late one - when the insomnia comes it stays for around 5 nights before I crash and burn so I have several hours yet to drink even more.
Blood sugars all over the place (for me) with 6’s and even 7’s so whatever’s attacking my throat is doing a pretty good job of it! Tomorrow is a new day and it has to be better!

Emma that sounds horrible. The only good thing is that you will hopefully have shaken it off by Christmas.

Have you tried hot water with a couple of slices of lemon and a couple of slices of fresh root ginger? It’s quite soothing and comforting, without the drastic bg spike of honey and lemon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all cooking day today in with all other to do stuff. Made lc lemon shortbread and herby crackers - a success with both see photo.
Feel I’ve been naughty eating wise but bgs very low all day so a winner
Breakfast bacon and egg plus wait for it my first spoonful of reduced sugar beans since went keto but small taste and bloods approved! So enjoyed them and will repeat experiment tomorrow to make sure - plus half a can left over! Mum loves beans so it was a treat for her that I thought I’d try!
Lunch herby crackers and cheese
Mid afternoon a lemon shortbread with coffee
Dinner brisket, roast veggies and glass red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse
Hope everyone has a good evening.
View attachment 30063

The lemon shortbread and herby crackers look wonderful. Do you know if they keep well in an airtight container? I keep going to make stuff for Christmas, then it gets eaten.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, still catching up on everyone's posts as had family round for lunch today.

In the meantime, can I pick your brains??

Been reading a lot of articles on Metformin recently and whether it aids or hinders in the reduction of blood sugar. Reading a very interesting book at the moment by Dr Jason Fung entitled 'The Diabetes Code' which has raised further doubts in my mind. I take 500mg of Metformin twice a day and my GP is reluctant to take me off this despite the reduction in my Hba1c (don't get me wrong he is very supportive of low carb but is following the NHS line where you are slapped on medication at diagnosis).

Any thoughts or experiences out there? One of the quotes in the book is ' you can't cure a dietary disease with medication'. I'd really like to stop taking Metformin as it interferes with absorption of vitamin B12. I think this is what is making my feet so painful over the past few months (after a long spell of improvement) with the non diabetic neuropathy.

Thanking you

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 4.7. Hubby off to football early (they won). Boys were not too happy at missing swimming to go to Elf School at a National Trust property. Problem was missing out on Chocolate Santas which was easily remedied and they enjoyed Elf School. So a bit of a back and forward day. All cards are done an posted and I've been round the neighbours to hand deliver theirs. Tomorrow is the Aqua Ladies lunch so we'll see all the others who went off to different clubs when ours closed way back in April. Theres about 50 going.
Also got a T Shirt for No 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...age_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&customId=B075384WP3&psc=1

B. 2 97% pork chipolatas, fried egg, GF black pudding, santini tomatoes and 2 mini mushrooms. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing too busy running back and forward.
D. A pork thing from Morrisons stuffed with pork sausagemeat, cranberry and onion and wrapped in Parma ham. Creamy mushrooms from M&S and sprouts stir fried with onion , bacon and black pepper butter.
Finished off the wee bit halo top with raspberries and blackberries with LC Baileys poured over it - Yum.
Oh and my usual campari and soda while dinner was cooking.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Pipp

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hot shower, paracetamol and a warm bed called for. Take it easy. Hugs

Lainlainylain

Evening all...well, I might have had a couple of mince pies with coffee out yesterday...which led to an all out downfall that involved wine, crying over xmas films, and pizza...my name isn’t even Bridget..

Feel like poo today and serves me right...

My BG hasn’t been too bad i guess, 5.6 before dinner and 6.2 after (bacon sandwich...i need to have a word with myself )
I had a stinking cold when i first started testing, not sure if that would have made my numbers higher...need to book follow up test, don’t really want to as denial is quite cosy but is on my to do list for tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening all

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

Didn't manage to post yesterday, so here are two days' worth.

Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Rest of the day -- to be honest I don't quite remember anymore. A senior moment?

Edited to add: Just remembered lunch and dinner. Lunch was cubed chicken breast with homemade low-carb sate sauce, Dinner was steak tartare with mayonnaise and two fried eggs. Two glasses of red wine.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Fried and sliced duck breast with cocos-cauli-rice and spiced red cabbage. Something was a bit too carby there as blood sugars went a bit higher than I like at an hour (6.5 mmol/l), but were back to 4.8 at 2.5 hours.

Snack: One square of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Not yet hungry -- but possibly bouillabaise with half a low-carb flatbread with butter.

@maglil55 -- My mother, who worked at a doctor's office, always used to get lots of Mon Cherie for Xmas from patients. Tbh, none of us really liked it, so we often regifted them. As it happened, one year we actually did open one of the boxes because we wanted to eat them and all the chocolates were covered by a greyish layer. Was it one of the boxes we regifted years before and that eventually was regifted to us -- I wonder?
Don't think I'd have eaten them with a greyish layer

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Didn’t get to post yesterday. Up at the ridiculous hour of 3.30am and that combined with tree planting in the freezing cold led to a bedtime of 6.30pm!

Yesterday was a failed OMAD day. Doing well until got home from tree planting and decided to have a slice of lemon zucchini cake with extra thick double cream. Triggered all manner of nibbling of nuts, almond butter and cream. Still, didn’t need dinner and it fuelled me through a successful OMAD day today, which included 28.5k steps!

Today’s dinner was pork belly slices and 2 Waitrose free range Cumberland sausages followed by lemon zucchini cake with extra thick double cream and my advent calendar chocolate. @Brunneria not sold on my advent calendar either. It’s the Hotel Chocolat 65% supermilk one. Lower carb than some of the darker ones but just a bit too sweet.

Hoping I can stay awake long enough to watch the final of the Apprentice.
I'm about to do the same although I'm not really taken with either of the finalists. I may need another baileys to stop me throwing things at the TV.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - hebba pap porridge with 40g coconut yogurt & 2 brazil nuts
Lunch - slice of homemade low carb coffee & pecan nut cake with a soya milk cappuccino
Dinner - veg stir fry with quorn bacon & Natto
Munched through the day - 15 smoked almonds, 50g cooked skinless chicken breast mixed with 15g Stokes garlic mayonnaise
1 cocoa made with Green & Blacks cocoa, erythritol & cashew nut milk
1370 cals, 35g carbs, 29g fibre

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The lemon shortbread and herby crackers look wonderful. Do you know if they keep well in an airtight container? I keep going to make stuff for Christmas, then it gets eaten.
I’m hoping so! Don’t know how long they will last. The last batch of herby biscuits were fine today made two days ago but thought if they did lose a bit of crispness I could quickly revive in oven? Think lasting is more to do with how quickly they get eaten rather than how long in the container!!