What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 You've read enough of my posts. At any point did the word romantic seem likely to be applied to me? @PenguinMum somewhere between Canyon introvert (J Mitchell etc), Yacht Rock and Thin Lizzy of the live and dangerous genre.

Was your mascara more the Alice Cooper style? ( I’m sure you’re a big old softy really)

Reactions: gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt really physically sick, and it was like an imprint on my mind never to eat the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods again.

And if anyone, a friend etc, offers me something in food I don’t want, bad carbs etc, I am not afraid of upsetting someone in future (I wasn’t before, I refused, but people seem to think it funny to insist by saying it won’t do you any harm), but my reply now will be, ‘Every bite of that food/treat/biscuit, for me as a diabetic, is one step further towards amputation.’ I can expand as necessary, but I don’t think it will be.
I felt exactly the same after watching the Panorama Programme on diabetes. After the programme - whenever I was tempted by sugary or starchy carbs the following thought would pop into my head - "what would I prefer - keep my feet or eat the cake" . My feet always won.

The horror of the Panorama Programme has never left me and I think it has definitely helped me to say no to the sugary and starchy carbs since 2016.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Evening walk with Wispa

IMG_1561586629.131244.jpg

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 for me this morning.

For the cat lovers amongst us, I share photos of Min-Min one of our cats, more often known by her nickname "pashia" meaning the fat one

Son will be visiting the town of Zermatt and the famous Matterhorn mountain, as part of his school trip to Switzerland. The last couple of photos I share are from our last visit there, as a family, back in 2012.

As much as I am proud to see him spread his wings a small part of me can not help feeling left behind.

Have a great day everybody
FB_IMG_1561609116313.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561609112825.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561609107361.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561608986923.jpeg
FB_IMG_1561608851341.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt exactly the same after watching the Panorama Programme on diabetes. After the programme - whenever I was tempted by sugary or starchy carbs the following thought would pop into my head - "what would I prefer - keep my feet or eat the cake" . My feet always won.

The horror of the Panorama Programme has never left me and I think it has definitely helped me to say no to the sugary and starchy carbs since 2016.

Horror does work when you realise that really could be you. I am not able to look at people eating the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods now, and a cream cake shop I cannot even look at, without feeling physically sick.

>^..^<

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 for me this morning.

For the cat lovers amongst us, I share photos of Min-Min one of our cats, more often known by her nickname "pashia" meaning the fat one

Son will be visiting the town of Zermatt and the famous Matterhorn mountain, as part of his school trip to Switzerland. The last couple of photos I share are from our last visit there, as a family, back in 2012.

As much as I am proud to see him spread his wings a small part of me can not help feeling left behind.

Have a great day everybodyView attachment 33951View attachment 33952View attachment 33953View attachment 33954View attachment 33955

A beautiful family portrait.

A very beautiful cat.
I unkindly nicknamed one of my fat cats Football...
Her name was Lynx and she was the kitten of a wild Lakeland cat who had kittens in someone’s outhouse. I didn’t know this until after I had been given the kitten who was the wildest thing you have ever seen. Even I got shredded. Every winter she would put on weight, and every summer she was slim again...but she was always agile...

>^..^<

Viv19

I haven’t seen that programme. When I get home next week I’ll try to see if it’s somewhere online. My internet is now pretty useless. OH has used up the ‘internet with legs’ sim reading news and checking football results. If I order another it will take a day or more to arrive and will be invalid by the next time I come. My phone contract is now at the ‘you have nearly used all the fast connection and will now have only slow connection unless you buy more....’ kind of level. Obviously not verbatim. So I’m watching the infinity circle go around quite a lot now.
Bg last night was an awful 7.6, this morning it was 7.1. Probably down to the damaged foot which is still swollen and painful. Can’t drive and activity is now measured by how far I can walk which is not very far. I still have lots of things to do before we leave so it’s very aggravating.
Oh dear, lots of moaning - sorry about that.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good Morning all from a beautifully sunny North east, the sun is shining and the weather is mighty fine and all is well with the world...…..except the meter of doom threw a 9 at me this morning! I was not a happy bunny at that especially as I trained exceptionally hard last night and had no hypo!! Now I know why! on a side note Sidney " The most Handsomest Bulldog ever" decided it was vitally important to chew my Birkenstock sandals yesterday!! Ate the strap off, he did say that the sandal was looking "funny" at him! good job he's a brilliant dog, if a tad bored that his mum "only" spends half her day with him! and she works from home so he's got company all day!!

Enjoy the sunshine everyone and take care.

Viv19

Horror does work when you realise that really could be you. I am not able to look at people eating the ‘wrong’ kinds of foods now, and a cream cake shop I cannot even look at, without feeling physically sick.

>^..^<

It sounds like a successful form of aversion therapy. The image that is my strength is of my mother in her late 80s having lost her sight. She was a very strong and independent woman, loved to read, enjoyed her gardening, and losing her sight reduced her world horribly. Being dependent on help from my father and other people was the worst kind of torture for her. She also had cancer when she died, but she said the blindness was far worse.