What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262 sorry that the birthday was so difficult and glad its calmer now, good old Cooper! @Chook sorry about your hand that must make everything so frustrating for you. That does seem a long wait to see the doctor, no wonder people go to A&E.
@maglil55 i made a trip to Asda this mornng for cauli rice but was unsuccessful which was annoying since its a 10 mile drive. They did have a space for it and ticket so they may just be out of stock. If I blitz a cauli head in the machine and portion it can I just microwave it from the freezer like the Iceland ones?
Todays food is as follows:
Breakfast was usual slice of LL toast, utter, tea x2.
Lunch was mug of h/m leek & brocolli soup and can of mackerell, odd I know.
Supper will be cheese & tomato omelette, pasta with chicken, chorizo & red pepper for Mr PM.
You can. I do my own but it is useful just to have of few bags of the prepped stuff. I tend to stir fry it but I have microwave bags I pop it into to microwave it. Lakeland used to sell them but for some unknown reason they replaced them with inferior quality bags. Glad I found them on Amazon. Cheaper than Lakeland too!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06WWMTZ1Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can. I do my own but it is useful just to have of few bags of the prepped stuff. I tend to stir fry it but I have microwave bags I pop it into to microwave it. Lakeland used to sell them but for some unknown reason they replaced them with inferior quality bags. Glad I found them on Amazon. Cheaper than Lakeland too!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06WWMTZ1Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the link. Tbh I have better things to do with my time and I am just disappointed I cant seem to get the frozen ones any more. Inwonder why Iceland has stopped stocking them.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Chook sorry to hear about the long wait for an appointment.

Bit late to the china discussion, but mine is a bit of a hotch potch. Gradually building up a collection from my favourite store in New York, but since that has to be carried on a plane, it’s taking a long time!

Feeling very hungry in the mornings these days, so tending towards late breakfast (well late compared to when I get up) and dinner.

Breakfast was bacon eggs and cheese. Dinner was slow cooked shoulder of lamb with garlic, thyme and lemon zest infused butter. Yum.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Tea with inulin and h/m almond milk 2 x 800 mls- unfeasibly high rise at 2 hrs; 1 travel mug tea with lacto free whole milk whilst granddaughter sitting; costa had no cream so CW whole milk; Meal will be salmon fillet and avocado salad- mainly rocket and spinach - with chia seeds and flaxseeds. On the screen that all looks in line with the party manifesto but my body appears to be a serial rebel so who knows. Will be in a big white bowl with a splendid vinaigrette so 2 positives. We visited 2 kitchen showrooms making appointments for next week. Amazing how many things I don't really need eating mainly salad but Julie seems to feel we need for convention. Interesting tussles ahead e,g, what use is a hob, dear? I think the words I can use here imply she wants a hob (badly damaged ear drum though so maybe not)

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the link. Tbh I have better things to do with my time and I am just disappointed I cant seem to get the frozen ones any more. Inwonder why Iceland has stopped stocking them.
It's still on their online site but as soon as I log into my account and it associates you with the local store it vanishes. It looks like someone has it. I'll ask next time I'm in as it's as weird as Lidl discontinuing the high protein rolls. Why dispose of something that sells?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Tea with inulin and h/m almond milk 2 x 800 mls- unfeasibly high rise at 2 hrs; 1 travel mud tea with lacto free whole milk whilst granddaughter sitting; costa had no cream so CW whole milk; Meal will be salmon fillet and avocado salad- mainly rocket and spinach - with chia seeds and flaxseeds. On the screen that all looks in line with the party manifesto but my body appears to be a serial rebel so who knows. Will be in a big white bowl with a splendid vinaigrette so 2 positives. We visited 2 kitchen showrooms making appointments for next week. Amazing how many things I don't really need eating mainly salad but Julie seems to feel we need for convention. Interesting tussles ahead e,g, what use is a hob, dear? I think the words I can use here imply she wants a hob (badly damaged ear drum though so maybe not)
Don't need a hob, I agree. Much better with a 7 burner, duel fuel range with 2 ovens, grill and keep warm drawer.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's still on their online site but as soon as I log into my account and it associates you with the local store it vanishes. It looks like someone has it. I'll ask next time I'm in as it's as weird as Lidl discontinuing the high protein rolls. Why dispose of something that sells?
I am of the opinion that Asda, Tesco and Iceland probably got their product prepared by the same company so I am worried. Its like when there was a concern about prepacked chicken a while ago it emerged that all the supermarkets in M&S and Waitrose were supplied by the same company.b

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook indeed sorry that you have such a long wait for the appointment, that's always annoying. Hope the hand feels better soon, and that Archie the dogs foot gets better soon and that you work out whats wrong with that. Dogs are a blessing hope he feels better soon, and I hope you feel better soon as well.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't need a hob, I agree. Much better with a 7 burner, duel fuel range with 2 ovens, grill and keep warm drawer.
Strangely, that is about what we have here for which I no longer see much use:arghh: Telling madame that was not the best thing I could have done. Doc said my hearing will eventually recover. Wouldn't that combo burn the salad anyway and salad bowls don't need keeping warm - quite the reverse

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one boiled egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese and celery with some lc seeded crackers followed by a few 100% choc buttons
Dinner frittata and salads followed by yoghurt with spoon of keto lemon curd.
Will be AWOL for a few days as off to York’s first thing in am to help my mum - a planned care visit but just brought forward a bit for practical reasons - hope to be back late Thursday or Friday.
@Chook hope your hand doesn't get worse whilst waiting for that appt. drs surgeries do seem to be overwhelmed - my OH had his hbaca1 bloods taken at beg of January - he’s borderline pre diabetic so has an annual blood test - after two weeks of waiting he chased it to find out they’d lost it! He had another test a week ago - when blood taken hcp said she wasn’t surprised it got lost as there were so many hbaca1 s needed these days. Interesting that as rates of illness and demand goes up unfortunately the resources seem to be less! Anyway some good news for him as after listening to some of my advice he’s gone down to a 39 score - phew! He had been concerned after over doing the fruit cake at Christmas - one of his favourite Christmas foods!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one boiled egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese and celery with some lc seeded crackers followed by a few 100% choc buttons
Dinner frittata and salads followed by yoghurt with spoon of keto lemon curd.
Will be AWOL for a few days as off to York’s first thing in am to help my mum - a planned care visit but just brought forward a bit for practical reasons - hope to be back late Thursday or Friday.
@Chook hope your hand doesn't get worse whilst waiting for that appt. drs surgeries do seem to be overwhelmed - my OH had his hbaca1 bloods taken at beg of January - he’s borderline pre diabetic so has an annual blood test - after two weeks of waiting he chased it to find out they’d lost it! He had another test a week ago - when blood taken hcp said she wasn’t surprised it got lost as there were so many hbaca1 s needed these days. Interesting that as rates of illness and demand goes up unfortunately the resources seem to be less! Anyway some good news for him as after listening to some of my advice he’s gone down to a 39 score - phew! He had been concerned after over doing the fruit cake at Christmas - one of his favourite Christmas foods!
Safe journey and well done to Mr Shelley (George?)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 1 of the DD Deep Dive which is basically looking deeper at things that can derail you. Got to say the last 4 weeks have flown by and they're still mixing the eating patterns which I'm hoping will stop my weight loss stalling. Breakfast is off the agenda this week, there's no 100% (or less) chocolate in the fridge and the DGF supplies remain concealed in the freezer. Stuck religiously to the plan today - OMAD plus coffee. Bed 5.8 FBG 6.8 but a rapid drop to 4.3 where it's hovered all day. It was actually OK as it was a busy day.
B. Usual school run and just a TAG. @Quinn1066 - it was icy rain today. Bitterly cold and horrid in the face icy rain.
L. Hairdresser arrived for much needed haircuts so another TAG. Inbetween I was deep cleaning the washing machine and catching up with the many towels from swimming. At least drying them in the Pod helped warm me up.
D. One meal today - DD Cauliflower Chicken Alfredo. Just a minor change - added 6 button mushrooms (sliced) and used less cream. I did have 3 walnuts while cooking.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/cauliflower-chicken-alfredo

This is another really nice dish. I hate to say it but shredded cabbage would go well with it. You have to watch the salt due to the bacon bits.

@ianpspurs - glad to see completion has happened and the next phase will soon be starting. Our last move I bridged for 2 weeks just to let us ferry stuff to the new house and unpack it. Still ended up with loads of boxes on moving day though. @Chook - I'd be insisting on an appointment if that doesn't go away. I get it on and off but I know it's my screwed up nervous system causing the problem. Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor? @Brunneria - Happy Birth(some)Day this week
@shelley262 - sorry you had such a difficult time and glad to see you came out unscathed.
My legs are still iffy but I've come to the conclusion the horrid weather is making things worse. I'm seriously considering nicking Hubby's football long John's if this keeps up!

Reactions: Brunneria and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to add the DD Cauliflower Chicken Alfredo photo.
DD-343-2.jpeg

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to add the DD Cauliflower Chicken Alfredo photo. View attachment 38330
Wasn't "chicken" Alfredo in The Godfather? My bad - that was Fredo. Cauliflower Chicken Alfredo played for Juventus. Day 1 of Jacques Cousteau over then. Coffee, cauliflower, chicken and cream. Is day 2 only food and drink with a d?

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I think we are on the same week now @maglil55 but I’ve had to chop and change it again which is a bit frustrating. It’d be ok if it was just me, but it never is, not that I’m complaining. I didn’t have the chicken Alfredo tonight but I’ve made it before and really like it too. Mr C doesn’t like cauliflower which is a bit of a pain.
B: black coffee
L:keto tuna salad, probably my favourite lunch atm
D: Chicken No noodle soup from later in the week. Wanted to use up the chicken stock and leftovers from the couple of chickens we’ve had recently.
@Chook so sorry about your hand and the delay. Sorry about poor Archie’s foot too.
@Shelley263 great news re George’s HbA1c well done both of you.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
03-02-2020
@PenguinMum I grate cauliflower and freeze it in portions. Don't squash it down too much in the bag. Chuck it into hot frrying pan with whatever oil/ butter and seasoning you fancy. Stir. Ready in about four mins.
@Chook If the hand is that painful, it's unreasonable to ask you to wait three weeks. Try calling again and make it clear that the problem is getting worse and preventing you from sleeping. Hope you get to see a doctor sooner, rather than later.
@shelley262 good to see you back, wishing you a calmer week.
High this morning 6.4
But my now that DP seems to have returned had small breakfast. CWC and nut granola.
One hour later 6.6.
Tried phoning the freezer repair people but just get automated computer voice offering me three choices. Tried all now but none connect to a real person. Comfort eating biscuits.
However, miraculously the freezer and fridge both started working again last night. We did want to get it checked, but might have to leave that. Have never felt more of an alien.
Meanwhile yuk! Big grey maggots have appeared in the house. Just inside the kitchen door, where it gets damp on wet days. (Job for summer, needs dry weather, says MrSlim) Vigorous investigations reveal infestation is outside. Under plant pots etc. But yuk !
Further investigation finds a few under the doormat by the back door, along with a fat green caterpillar.
Feeling really quite depressed by now, wanting to go to bed with a book. However to get to living room and bedrooms have to go outside as MrSlim is currently working in the passageway. Dealing with a fall of degraded lime mortar from under the stone staircase. Heard woodpecker in the nearby trees and got a decent view of a greater spotted. Not close enough to see if male or female though. Usually something like that would cheer me up immensely, but not today.
Lunch avocado, tomato, ham and cheese. Few radish, CWC.
More clearing up in the garden. Moved several loads of twigs and small branches to the burning pile in the orchard. Shoulder is now starting to complain about using the loppers.
Some larger branches piled by the chop saw. At least they are now out of the rain.
We walked round the "garden" checked on the tiny saplings we planted last year. Most have survived. Two are under a fallen tree. Probably crushed. Although cloudy it was warm enough that MrSlim did not need a jacket. The primrose are coming out and orchids popping up too. Along with the ubiquitous nettles. Fortunately not in the same areas.

Dinner.
I put defrosted cake in the oven. This is a uniquely French product , and usually only obviously available for big occasions like Xmas and New year. It's not sweet. So lowish carbs. The version we had tonight was sundried tomato and goats cheese. Very nice too. MrSlim cooked. Omelette with pepper, onion and bacon. Served with the gratin dauphinois potatoes left from yesterday. Ate a few. But three egg omelette as well was too much. Plenty wine though. And later walnuts. MrSlim was wanting popcorn but sadly neither of us could decipher the cooking instructions, which seemed to refer to a non existent table for cooking times. Binned the lot.
Not our best day.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: gingerbread Carb Killa with black coffee.
Dinner: gammon steak and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast at 11 am - yoghurt and strawberries followed by tea. That was a fast of about 171/2 hours. Wasn't really hungry when I had breakfast but I had it anyway.

Turns out there was a stall needing manned at Stornoway Primary school to publicise the kids' class. No-one else available so I went and sat there most of the afternoon, very poor attendance at the event but we handed out some balloons and made some children happy. Got home about 7 pm. That meant nothing to drink for most of the day so I'm a bit low on fluids, although because I was going out I didn't take any diuretics. Nearly got blown away outside the house when I got home; there was a very strong, cold wind from the south west - must have been gusting about 70 mph. Not good on wobbly legs. Same tomorrow - there's a second day of the event at the primary school and the weather is expected to be as bad as well. The other person manning the stall might have difficulty getting to Stornoway tomorrow - she lives on a peninsula and when a strong wind comes from the south the causeway is closed.

Evening meal at about 7.30 was another defrosted something or other - lamb with some veg, including carrots. A handful of pecan nuts about 10 pm.