Is Your Local Surgery on Twitter and Does it Matter?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. The surgery.

Not sure of your point here. I messaged the surgery through Twitter and the administrator thanked me and said she was going to retweet the tweet by / on the CEO of ADA.
Wel, as I read it, you were pleased Mr Panesar had Tweeted, because others might pick up on it. I just wondered if you have done your own bit to help others pick it up. That's all.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wondered if you have done your own bit to help others pick it up. That's all.
Are you trying to imply I am not?

I am constantly in contact with both surgery’s via several sets of means. Yes I was pleased to see he was tweeting, for a number of reasons, one of course being that it is at odds with prevalent forum thinking on Twitter. Strange.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was pleased to see he was tweeting, for a number of reasons, one of course being that it is at odds with prevalent forum thinking on Twitter. Strange

Is there a ‘prevalent forum view’ on Twitter? What do you think that is?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read the thread.
so you alerted the surgery, and they re-tweeted it. That is not the same as them initiating and actively promoting tweeting.

The thread is not against twitter. It seems to be against the idea of over stretched NHS staff being expected and asked to add yet more tasks to their burden of care and duty.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so you alerted the surgery, and they re-tweeted it. That is not the same as them initiating and actively promoting tweeting.
Working as a team. How does that sit with you? It sometimes works the other way around btw. What’s your comment on that?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The thread is not against twitter. It seems to be against the idea of over stretched NHS staff being expected and asked to add yet more tasks to their burden of care and duty.
On your 2nd point, the whole point is that social media as used by NHS surgeries is an economical way of moving forward with something like the T2 diabetes solution using LCHF. So rather than burdening, it can and is being used to reduce the burden.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On your 2nd point, the whole point is that social media as used by NHS surgeries is an economical way of moving forward with something like the T2 diabetes solution using LCHF. So rather than burdening, it can and is being used to reduce the burden.

I feel it's a great idea harnessing social media.. Followers have a tendancy to share & repost? Catching others that my have missed it.. ("Viral.") Which I'm sure you're doing on your own accounts.

It just needs the NHS to get it's head around blood test equipment for diagnosed non insulin dependant & glic prescribed types.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel it's a great idea harnessing social media.. Followers have a tendancy to share & repost? Catching others that my have missed it.. ("Viral.") Which I'm sure you're doing on your own accounts.
Someone who is doing a fantastic job of that is @Debandez. Yes, share and repost is used a lot, aswell as the posting of original material. It also provides opportunity to link up with other people across the country that aren’t members of this forum yet still have similar opinion and also those who do not.

Reactions: Barb McD and HSSS

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone who is doing a fantastic job of that is @Debandez. Yes, share and repost is used a lot, aswell as the posting of original material. It also provides opportunity to link up with other people across the country that aren’t members of this forum yet still have similar opinion and also those who do not.

Hi,

One concern I feel needs more pressing is the subject of BG meters. It's one thing revamping a diet. But the benefits of daily monitoring can engage in the process? Who wants to wait for the next A1c?
Why not gauge what's happening on the day.

A T2 dog walking friend of mine was told by his doc that the A1c was like a film where the meter reading is just a snapshot.

In terms of an average speed check on a motorway I'd call the A1c "out" as that. Looking at the speed dial on the dash can tell where the pedal was "floored." Something like a flash monitoring system or CGM is more like a dash cam.. It films the "journey." (Let's face it dash mounted cameras also have GPS.) ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you trying to imply I am not?

I am constantly in contact with both surgery’s via several sets of means. Yes I was pleased to see he was tweeting, for a number of reasons, one of course being that it is at odds with prevalent forum thinking on Twitter. Strange.

I'm not implying anything. You seemed pleased a person had taken an action. I asked if you had followed suit. Nothing more. Nothing less.

But, that's my last on it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

One concern I feel needs more pressing is the subject of BG meters. It's one thing revamping a diet. But the benefits of daily monitoring can engage in the process? Who wants to wait for the next A1c?

A T2 dog walking friend of mine was told by his doc that the A1c was like a film where the meter reading is just a snapshot.

In terms of an average speed check on a motorway I'd call the A1c "out" as that. Looking at the speed dial on the dash can tell where the pedal was "floored." Something like a flash monitoring system or CGM is more like a dash cam.. It films the "journey." (Let's face it dash mounted cameras also have GPS.) ;)

You are correct.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I didn’t manage to get back to you on this properly.

I do agree totally. I hope Deb doesn’t mind if I tell you that she fired that question to the administrator at one of my local surgeries in an attempt to evaluate policy on the issuing of meters to T2 diabetics. I know the answer to that and the policy is not for T2’s unless on insulin. I believe Deb is trying to establish the extent this is the case across the country.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t manage to get back to you on this properly.

I do agree totally. I hope Deb doesn’t mind if I tell you that she fired that question to the administrator at one of my local surgeries in an attempt to evaluate policy on the issuing of meters to T2 diabetics. I know the answer to that and the policy is not for T2’s unless on insulin. I believe Deb is trying to establish the extent this is the case across the country.
Well as it is nice guidelines I suspect it’ll be found to be widespread, with only the odd enlightened individual issuing meters/strips for those not on insulin or gliclazide or the like.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as it is nice guidelines I suspect it’ll be found to be widespread, with only the odd enlightened individual issuing meters/strips for those not on insulin or gliclazide or the like.
The ultimate intention of course is to change minds.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world.
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."

Rumi

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Listlad. I've not had chance to catch up on the forum the past few days, I'm addicted to Twitter, the downside for me!

My surgery is not yet on Twitter but intend to be asap. Does it matter? I think being active on every form of social media can have its positives..... and its negatives! The more you are active on, the harder it is to keep up. It can be stressful in itself!

I love Twitter. For me it's been a great platform for sharing info, learning, helping etc. Its also the first place I go if something crops up in the news I want to follow. Great for breaking news (usually bad so not really that great!).

I have my Facebook page that I share info with but that really only reaches my family, friends and friends of friends. I feel I've helped a little on there in my own community and it's a great way to keep in touch. As for Twitter! Wow that can reach far and wide. Worldwide. My plan is to follow as many Drs, HCPs, DNs etc as possible. They can if they choose follow me back, and some do. If they dont follow me at least they are aware of me. They can read my posts and comment, and many do. For me it's just a way of getting the message out there that there is another way to treat T2d apart from meds. I advocate lchf, it's not the only way of eating that works but I feel it's probably the most effective. And sustainable. I share videos. My thoughts. My journey. And it doesnt have to be too time consuming in that you can just click a button and a very important message can be retweeted without a word being typed. Split second is all it takes. #hashtags are great for sharing specifics on certain topics.

There are things I dont like about it. 140 character limit drives me nuts! And spammers. Also there are keyboard warriors who can be nasty and negative. It can be anonymous and as such they just go for the jugular. Thankfully I haven't been on the receiving end ... so far.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Listlad. I've not had chance to catch up on the forum the past few days, I'm addicted to Twitter, the downside for me!

My surgery is not yet on Twitter but intend to be asap. Does it matter? I think being active on every form of social media can have its positives..... and its negatives! The more you are active on, the harder it is to keep up. It can be stressful in itself!

I love Twitter. For me it's been a great platform for sharing info, learning, helping etc. Its also the first place I go if something crops up in the news I want to follow. Great for breaking news (usually bad so not really that great!).

I have my Facebook page that I share info with but that really only reaches my family, friends and friends of friends. I feel I've helped a little on there in my own community and it's a great way to keep in touch. As for Twitter! Wow that can reach far and wide. Worldwide. My plan is to follow as many Drs, HCPs, DNs etc as possible. They can if they choose follow me back, and some do. If they dont follow me at least they are aware of me. They can read my posts and comment, and many do. For me it's just a way of getting the message out there that there is another way to treat T2d apart from meds. I advocate lchf, it's not the only way of eating that works but I feel it's probably the most effective. And sustainable. I share videos. My thoughts. My journey. And it doesnt have to be too time consuming in that you can just click a button and a very important message can be retweeted without a word being typed. Split second is all it takes. #hashtags are great for sharing specifics on certain topics.

There are things I dont like about it. 140 character limit drives me nuts! And spammers. Also there are keyboard warriors who can be nasty and negative. It can be anonymous and as such they just go for the jugular. Thankfully I haven't been on the receiving end ... so far.
Yes the keyboard limit and the inability to correct a spelling mistake once posted, are a pain.

I am very pleased to see the town surgery here is active on Twitter. And I know they follow you and Dr David Unwin which very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez