What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its the white plate that does it. Both of us struggling to shake off this virus really but Julie couldn't eat her prawns or pasta. Last chance for brisket tomorrow. Found the best we could but still not optimistic. Quite amused by the World Pasty Championship but glad you had a good dog walk.
Edit: Now I've read this https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/how-to-sous-vide/brisket I'm even less optimistic - maybe start cooking tomorrow for Tuesday.:arghh: This one looks a winner - we like and have found the liquid smoke but chipottle is a no no https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-recipes/more/sous-vide-brisket-recipe

Yes, haha the white plate makes it look very professional! Sorry about the long lasting virus. The added strain of moving has probably made it hang around longer than usual too.
Good luck with the brisket. I’m the opposite - I like chipotle but hate liquid, or any other pretend smoke flavour. Will await your verdict on Tues.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I have been on steroids for the same time I have been an IF, so put weight on. Blood sugar remains stable with meds and I don't check it myself but have regular blood tests.
Looking forward to discovering (fingers crossed) that cutting carbs will cause some weight loss but also, more importantly bring down inflammation.

I’m sure it’ll help, certainly with inflammation, but I know it’s so difficult to keep from gaining weight on steroids. You’re in the right place here though - lots of good ideas.

Reactions: KathyFrance

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Chook -- good to see you back. Hugs for the arthritis and the carpal tunnel.
@maglil55 -- the tuna melts on oopsie bread look delicious.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Leftover Philly cheese steak and half a filet of sea bass.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with mayonnaise and salmon. A tub of chicken liver pate. A chicken-meat wiener sausage.

Snack: About 60g of 85% chocolate (way too much, but didn't feel well).

Dinner: A few pieces of cheese (about 70g). Some dry red wine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening!

Breakfast coffee and some yogurt.

Went out to get husbands new glasses - his first pair. I have now realised, having picked them up several times already (they are just reading) it's just another thing for him to lose and me to find, along with his car key, door key and my door key when hes borrowed that! We have a great big wooden bowl to put the keys in when you come through the front door, but seems to only work for 2/3 of the family!

Lunch cheese sandwich with a slice of real bread. Bad plan as then spent the afternoon battling the craving for more. But have managed not to eat another slice.

Apple and peanut butter mid afternoon

Dinner - crispy fried tofu which we haven't done for ages with stir fried veg.

Mouseee - I'm sure we all have different strategies for looking after keys etc., but I would ask you to think seriously about the bowl by the door. Every so often, we have leaflets posted through the letterbox from the village beat constable asking anyone using such a strategy to rethink. Allegedly, it is quite a wheeze to use litter pickers or whatever, through the letterbox and steal the key, and make off with motor vehicles etc. If the house is empty at the time, they can fill said cars with house contents.

Alternatively, on properties with porches or other entrance vestibules, often the connecting doors between the outsides and the house remain unlocked, so the naughty boys just stroll in and help themselves.

The bowl or key rack on the side, near a doorway is a big no-no.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Got the Oopsie bread made when I got home and some of it became the DD tuna melt. I need to get a bit less heavy on the garlic. The last time I made Oopsies they came out quite large. They're ginormous this time. I think I'm mixing them too well.
Love the tuna melt though. Been a while since I had that.View attachment 39040[/QUOTE]
@maglil55 Oopsie bread? Not heard of this.

Reactions: Chook and maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Didn’t get around to posting yesterday.

Went a little off piste in the morning with too much almond butter and cream - all gone now and resolve to not buy it again reaffirmed. Also polished off the remaining pork belly (v small piece) by chopping it up and making moo grob.

Dinner was slow cooked lamb breast infused with butter mixed with pink Himalayan salt, rosemary, garlic and lemon juice and zest. Followed by 3 small pieces of cheese. Have fallen for the Lidl Cheese Deli co range of ‘tri-nations’ cheese - the Benton Farm red fox Red Leicester and Caledonian vintage cheddar are particularly delicious.

Planning a long walk today as apparently the sun will be making a brief appearance.

@ziggy_w hope you feel better soon.

899FC4B7-6035-428A-907E-B55057E4138B.jpeg
40219547-6278-45A5-B2EB-B245929B8141.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, haha the white plate makes it look very professional! Sorry about the long lasting virus. The added strain of moving has probably made it hang around longer than usual too.
Good luck with the brisket. I’m the opposite - I like chipotle but hate liquid, or any other pretend smoke flavour. Will await your verdict on Tues.
The verdict may be delayed slightly for The Food Fairy to read the manual for this super dooper new cooker thoroughly. Built in settings seem to assume people only eat fillet steak and in small amounts. Also doubt whether our assessment of Lord Iveagh's brisket will make a blind bit of difference to his fortune. I would be amused by further references to World Pasty Championship and all other similar events. Need to keep an aye on those Normies
Update: Figured out sous vide timer - use the meat probe icon but can only set for max 24 hrs. Will check after that and reassess.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t think I posted yesterday’s food, so here it is:

last of the cold pizza for brekkie. Yum!
L: forgot
D: Tescos moussaka, which was neither GF nor LC. Well, I took out the potato which solved half the problem... :)
Going to track the GF consequences with great care, since I am thinking my immune system may have relaxed a bit (again) so long as I don’t push it...

Dog No 3 is hopping out of her skin, has forgotten she hates the T shirt. Looks harrowed when I approach with the saline and cream. Is STILL in perpetual motion.
Nos 1 and 2 are equally desperate, since they would like not to be continually bounced on. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got the Oopsie bread made when I got home and some of it became the DD tuna melt. I need to get a bit less heavy on the garlic. The last time I made Oopsies they came out quite large. They're ginormous this time. I think I'm mixing them too well.
Love the tuna melt though. Been a while since I had that.View attachment 39040
@maglil55 Oopsie bread? Not heard of this.[/QUOTE]

Here you go, it’s very versatile and lasts quite a long time. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/cloud-bread

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Didn’t get around to posting yesterday.

Went a little off piste in the morning with too much almond butter and cream - all gone now and resolve to not buy it again reaffirmed. Also polished off the remaining pork belly (v small piece) by chopping it up and making moo grob.

Dinner was slow cooked lamb breast infused with butter mixed with pink Himalayan salt, rosemary, garlic and lemon juice and zest. Followed by 3 small pieces of cheese. Have fallen for the Lidl Cheese Deli co range of ‘tri-nations’ cheese - the Benton Farm red fox Red Leicester and Caledonian vintage cheddar are particularly delicious.

Planning a long walk today as apparently the sun will be making a brief appearance.

@ziggy_w hope you feel better soon.

View attachment 39047 View attachment 39048

The lamb breast looks delicious. We haven’t had it for ages so Thanks for the reminder.
Sorry about almond butter- gate SO easily done! I keep making the same pact with myself, not to buy it.

Reactions: maglil55

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 01/03/2020 First day of Autumn over here
Breakfast: 60g rolled oats (used to much water, needed the extra 10g from my normal 50g to thicken it up), 35g blueberries, 8g peanut butter, 151g full fat greek yoghurt. 4 white coffee with 120ml diary milk, 2 white coffee 40ml unsweetened coconut blend milk.

Snack: 2 white coffee while up at parents visiting, appreciate their company, hugs were given.

Lunch: 2 white corn tortilla, 76g cucumber, 77g tomato, 100g ham, 25g reduced fat cheese mustard, salt pepper

Snack: two more white coffee with 40ml coconut milk blend

Dinner: 3 large egg omelet, 122g steamed broccoli, 62g green beans, 20ml mild salsa, mustard, salt pepper, 30g pickle slice.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Havent posted for a few days as have been out. Had same packed lunch last two days, 2 cold sausages, bit of veg quiche crust cut off, tomato and cucumber chunks. Friday night was Indian t/a chicken tikka and cauliflower bhajee. Last night was chicken, chorizo & red pepper in tom sauce and cauli rice. I have no idea what today’s food will be though as have woken to high FBG. Might involve eggs.
@DJC3 sorry to mention it again but I find it very hard to be in Cornwall and not eat a pasty. I remember years ago we found a bakery in St Agnes that did wonderful ones, i can still smell the aroma in that shop. I would love to be a judge at that competition lol. I am odd because I am not keen on other meat and pastry things.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Havent posted for a few days as have been out. Had same packed lunch last two days, 2 cold sausages, bit of veg quiche crust cut off, tomato and cucumber chunks. Friday night was Indian t/a chicken tikka and cauliflower bhajee. Last night was chicken, chorizo & red pepper in tom sauce and cauli rice. I have no idea what today’s food will be though as have woken to high FBG. Might involve eggs.
@DJC3 sorry to mention it again but I find it very hard to be in Cornwall and not eat a pasty. I remember years ago we found a bakery in St Agnes that did wonderful ones, i can still smell the aroma in that shop. I would love to be a judge at that competition lol. I am odd because I am not keen on other meat and pastry things.
Sounds as though you navigated the cross currents of the river T2 where it merges with being a loving mum with amazing dexterity. Yes, I can see and admire these things in others.

Reactions: Chook

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T
Sounds as though you navigated the cross currents of the river T2 where it merges with being a loving mum with amazing dexterity. Yes, I can see and admire these things in others.[/QUOTE
Thanks Ian I will take your kind compliment but I fear you are wrong about dexterity, every thing aches today!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the tuna melt though. Been a while since I had that.View attachment 39040
@maglil55 Oopsie bread? Not heard of this.[/QUOTE]Otherwise known as Cloud Bread. It's quite unbread like, but as light as a feather , easy to make and quite enjoyable.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/cloud-bread

I've used it for sandwiches before. Ham salad & BLT.
20170217_152421.jpg
DD-51-2.jpg

Reactions: Chook and Quinn1066

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

OMAD today after a long walk from home to the Regent’s Canal and along the canal as far as Islington before hitting the ASICS outlet at the 02 for some new trainers.

Dinner was air fried lamb ribs which had been marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and thyme. Delicious and enormous - these ribs were from Morrison’s rather than the usual source of Waitrose and barely fitted in the air fryer.