COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone who cares more for money than people.
the same people who attended and then went back to their student flat, shared with 8 other people, and didnt say a thing to them about having been - true story.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still not caught up with you all. My husband's cousin passed from cancer. It's a day's drive. I researched it last night. They have two CORVID-19 cases where he's going to the funeral. Risky, but he's vibrantly healthy, and it's likely the last time he'll see this part of his family. He's leaving this morning.

For work, I personally am packing in and out each day my water and food so I don't have to use the kitchen, microwave, refrigerator, or water. Am washing hands throughout the day to protect my co-workers and myself. Maintaining distancing, etc.

I have a question that I'd like to have you all weigh in on. Should the common practice of sharing food and bowls of packaged candy at the office be stopped temporarily?
well, I wouldnt eat from them if I could et candy, but I suppose we cant stop people form doing things. Maybe putting a graph about the way it spreads and how the herd immunity by contact works?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree this is terrible. Boris & Co kept saying they were in talks with the supermarkets to keep the food supply going. Yet its only this week the stores have started limiting the number of essentials to customers. It doesnt exactly inspire confidence that they cant even manage this to help their local communities. Shame on the bulk buyers but more shame on the supermarkets who allow it resulting in a vulnerable OAP going without.
I suppose manufacturing of food and imports and availablity of foods and ingredients is being affected already.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the same people who attended and then went back to their student flat, shared with 8 other people, and didnt say a thing to them about having been - true story.
We really do need a shock/ horror rating for posts. I don't think my 'informative' rating of your post really says it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The rationale today at the Press Conference seemed to be if we ask people including older folk to lock down too early they will get bored and complacent after a while and will just go back out.....how stupid does he think we all are? In my market town this morning it was deserted and that was by personal choice. As the numbers of infected continue to rise why on earth would that change? Families will be very concerned about their elderly and infirm and cant see them throwing caution to the wind. I cant help feeling this is about money and the NHS capacity but dont really understand why our trajectory is different to the rest of the world.

Reactions: jjraak

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Asda website crashed today from heavy traffic. When I did manage to get on to the website to add a few items to my normal weekly order (scheduled for tomorrow) I found almost half of my order is unavailable.

I've just got off the phone to my mother, arranging her next supermarket delivery.
Next available slot is in 6 days time.
4 days longer than last week.

i have warned her there may be items missing.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well i have been self isolating with my cough and chest infection for 4 days. It's what I do anyway. I would hate to pass even a nasty cold onto someone who has just had chemo for example.

Stay well zand..thank you for the proper spirit. sensible, thoughtful and pro active

please bottle it ..we'll have much need of it over the coming weeks

get better soon.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
daughter despite weeks of telling her to prep, on phone today asking for help.

so i popped to supermarkets to get the few bits she asked for .

3.in all...2x LARGE supermarkets 1x Superstore..in London.

NO hand gel, No hand wash, very few tins,
NO pasta NO rice in most
what little there was was soon snapped up.
Obv NO loo roll in two but plenty in the co op weirdly

ladies feminine products shelves are half empty.

Only bonus if there is one, was the majority of people went for the carby items,
so plenty of cauliflower rice, green pea, lentil types of pasta, so picked up a few of them.

got chatty to guy cashier at the checkout.

stressed and working hard, asked if busy all day.."Yep"
and the weekend will be worse, he said.

i joked that there wouldn't be anything to buy by then
he agreed.

i asked if things were out of stock or being restocked continuously
to save the selves looking so bare.

"Nope stocks running out"..true? i don't know...just one hard working guys opinion.

pics.

Chickens
IMG_20200312_155400~01.jpg
Beef
IMG_20200312_155408~01.jpg
Cleaning
IMG_20200312_160143~01.jpg
Various
IMG_20200312_155742~01.jpg
Two days ago
IMG_20200311_181915~01.jpg IMG_20200311_180620~01.jpg
IMG_20200311_180647~01.jpg

Ooh. Nearly forgot.
Plenty of pet foods.
IMG_20200312_160228~01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_155408~01.jpg
    IMG_20200312_155408~01.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have frequently used worldometers.info as an accurate and unbiased source of data.
We hear politicians spout what they want us to hear.
We also have the media quoting headline figures such as Number infected and Number of deaths.
Worldometers gives much more useful Information. Information that allows us to calculate ratios which we can use to compare countries and strategies.

Useful numbers are the Total cases/ million population - but remember how this is very dependent upon the numbers being tested!
More useful Ratios are
Total recovered vs Active cases
Serious/critical vs Total cases.
These tell us about progress.

upload_2020-3-12_20-38-14.jpeg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
agree @Bill_St
and for me that number of critical v mild cases, has been lowering over the past month.
as have the deaths v recovered
all presumed in relation to numbers tested etc obv

my guess.. china stopped kicking in big numbers,
and korea and a few others have done marvellous working testing so many.

But the balance has deffo changed for the better (i think, hope and pray )

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The rationale today at the Press Conference seemed to be if we ask people including older folk to lock down too early they will get bored and complacent after a while and will just go back out.....how stupid does he think we all are? In my market town this morning it was deserted and that was by personal choice. As the numbers of infected continue to rise why on earth would that change? Families will be very concerned about their elderly and infirm and cant see them throwing caution to the wind. I cant help feeling this is about money and the NHS capacity but dont really understand why our trajectory is different to the rest of the world.
Sadly there are a lot of people far less concerned about their health than we in here are.

I’ve been raging against the lack of action by the government too but unfortunately I think they might have a point. So many fools out there only interested in themselves and if they don’t feel at risk they won’t change their behaviour at all, thus increasing the risk for us all. The government seem to be acting (or believing so anyway) to accommodate the lowest common denominator of those that won’t maintain strict protocols in favour of ease.

I do get the point of nhs capacity but feel so sickened by the need to put wealth ahead of health.

I’m hoping to see rapid escalation and that’s today’s minor steps are just a warming up of the audience

nb my family think I’m paranoid and full of conspiracy theory but I predicted the closure of social events and panic buying to them a month or more ago but would they listen?

lindisfel

Expert
We are now in a sci fi distopian future!

We had the plague of brexit, now we have the plague of covid19 hitting the oldborn.

I wonder what the next five will be like? :)
Perhaps, darkness, next, when there is nobody to run the power stations cos there all sick.
My grandson used to put his underpants on his head and say he was Pharoah.

I somehow dont see Boris as a blond pharoah with or without a headdress of underparts.

We British must keep our sense of humour.
Derek

dragongirl

My take on it would be to drink plenty water, eat well, if I felt up to eating an look after myself to try to get well asap.

If I were to catch this virus, and my A1c went up as a result, I'd just have t suck it up and redouble my efforts to bring it back down again.

Provided the virus "only" lasted a couple of weeks, it would be unlikely to do to much damage, but best to be in our best state at the point of infection, if we can.

Hopefully, this isn't something we'll be challenged with.
Thank you so much for your answer. I guess that’s the best we can do. Just didn’t want to think I’d be put on meds after all these years of effort! So hopefully not too much damage will be done in two weeks illness then.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son's surgery still hasn't rung him back yet, so we are going ahead, as we don't want to miss out on seeing her. If anything negative happens, regrading COVID-19, at least today, I have seen her <3 now I'm getting excited but a little nervous too. Can't wait :happy:

Well, I had a lovely time this evening, my granddaughter is so lovely, so grown up, we all had a great time and COVID-19 was hardly mentioned :) Life goes on and I'm so looking forward to many more visits and getting to know each another again :happy::joyful:

Reactions: HSSS
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We are now in a sci fi distopian future!

Funnily enough,my son said :
'It's like being in one of those Sci fi films or novels, not watching it or reading it, but actually in it' spooky.............