What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s food a sort of stretched out OMAD of roast lamb broccoli cheese and cabbage cooked in coconut oil. Followed by a lc custard. Champagne beforehand and red wine with it.
A random slice of ham eaten late morning as it was cluttering up the fridge. A couple of squares orange Montezumas sometime in the evening.
@zauberflote @mrs T123 and @Chook boot camp is definitely best done in an empty stomach - I feel sick at the end of it as it is, don’t think I’d manage with a full tum.
@shelley262 thanks for sharing your chaffle and scone recipes. I’m still using your adapted lc crisp bread one ( which reminds me I’ve run out)
@zauberflote your family bbq sounds fab. I’m still saying Bahb wahr out loud and trying to impress the family with my American accent.
@SlimLizzy I hope the LC dietary holiday has helped your mood a bit. Sometimes a change can do you the world of good.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@zauberflote, the problem with my old insulins was that I was having to use more and more to try to keep some kind of control of my high BG. FBG this morning though was 12.9 - after readings yesterday in the upper teens. Notched the basal dose up one point last night - no improvement. Notched breakfast dose up 2 points - no improvement. The diabetes nurses at the clinic are trying to get me to take less insulin because they are alarmed at the level I was taking, hence the new ones. I have no confidence in the likely results though.

Breakfast was mashed up avocado with some lemon juice on RyVita. About an hour ago so I'll check BG in a while.

I'm feeling a bit hungry at present so will have some lunch - one of my last 2 pickled eggs and some mild pickled onions made last week.

Last evening I had butternut squash and spinach mash with a slice of cheese and some bits of bacon. This evening I'll have more of the mash with an egg on top.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your made up sauce sounds delicious. I bet it went really well with the veal.
The girls go back to school on the 5th I think. We haven’t talked about how they are going to get there yet but I’m expecting to do some v early mornings soon. It’s also occurred to me they haven’t been out for new shoes so I think I’ll take them Monday. I don’t think my daughter who is normally super organised has thought of any of it. I’m glad your boys have settled in now though. A sense of routine and normality will certainly help.
The sauce did indeed go well with the veal. I dragged the boys out for the annual shoe fitting as well and again it helped in the route to some kind of normality. I just wish the eldest would shake his fears. Most Mondays are still a nightmare. I'm coming to the conclusion maybe we shouldn't have weekend breaks from school!

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 6.7 FBG 5.3 - @Mrs T 123 - TAG is just Tassimo Americano Grande. Saves typing it out all the time. @Rachox - I do hope the antibiotics do their job soon. Nothing worse than painful feet. @mouseee- don't be hard on yourself. It's not that long since you lost your Mum so it's a lot to deal with. Welcome back by the way.
I have a bit of catching up on posts to do but let's get Saturday out of the way.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with pate.
L. Nothing headed to the butcher and supermarket.
D. Cold cuts - slice each of roast pork, turkey, ox tongue and ham. Coleslaw, waldorf salad , boiled egg and veggie chips.

Resisted the Godiva for once!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I ordered this one from Amazon - it has an extra long reach so I can stay even further away from the spider or fly.

View attachment 43602

It's the same make as the one I had before, but longer. Not particularly well made, but it lasted a few years before finally falling apart.
Aldi have the other one in this week. One in each hand for the imminent spider breeding season appeals to me.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday bed 6.8 FBG was also 6.8. @shelley262- I've had oat fibre for a few months. Bought it to try with the ongoing saga of finding a mix that works for pastry but my weeks of I'll health put paid to experiments! Love the new avatar and the top. Is it by Joules? I have one that looks similar except the stripes are pastels. @Annb - goodness knows what is going on with your insulin. Is it not worth speaking to the nurse again?
Sunday
B. Just TAG.
L. First pack of Cheesies. Goats cheese from the variety pack. Rather liked them.
D. Usual campari and soda and had a prosecco too.
Made Rick Stein 's beef stroganoff but added a little chilli this time. Also had celeriac chips. Butcher kindly gave me all the pointy ends of the fillet yesterday for the stroganoff for a bargain price. Godiva won today - 2 squares.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lovely day here - we can't be lucky enough to last like this all week.

@zauberflote - the black bean spaghetti comes up dark grey when cooked and is very thin and spaghetti like. It has a strange flavour which i hide with pesto. I've no idea how they make it but it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on my BGs - even s big dish full. I wish they made it in other shaps.

Woops - big mistake today...

Breakfast: nothing

Took the dogs swimming. Amazing to see 11.5 y/o Millie (equivalent to 80 human years old) jumping and diving in the water and swimming quite long distances after her ball.

Lunch: we visited the expensive fish & chip shop that Mr C was desperate to go to (it came exceptionally highly recommended). But the eat in bit was shut - takeaway only. So I asked him to get me a piece of unbattered fish and mushy peas - what arrived was a HUGE bit of really lightly battered haddock (I've never seen a bit of fish that big) it was battered because the person doing the frying thought the fish would fall apart if it didn't have at least some batter on it. Anyway, I tried to get most of it off... but 2 hrs later my BG was 11.0. I really do think my carb sensitivity is getting worse.

Off now to visit a dog-friendly pub which TripAdvisor say is partially on the beach

Dinner: will be Linda McCartney burger with grilled halloumi, Mr C's famous oriental cucumber salad, tomatoes, yellow French beans and courgettes from garden at home

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sunday bed 6.8 FBG was also 6.8. @shelley262- I've had oat fibre for a few months. Bought it to try with the ongoing saga of finding a mix that works for pastry but my weeks of I'll health put paid to experiments! Love the new avatar and the top. Is it by Joules? I have one that looks similar except the stripes are pastels. @Annb - goodness knows what is going on with your insulin. Is it not worth speaking to the nurse again?
Sunday
B. Just TAG.
L. First pack of Cheesies. Goats cheese from the variety pack. Rather liked them.
D. Usual campari and soda and had a prosecco too.
Made Rick Stein 's beef stroganoff but added a little chilli this time. Also had celeriac chips. Butcher kindly gave me all the pointy ends of the fillet yesterday for the stroganoff for a bargain price. Godiva won today - 2 squares.

Thanks for reminding me about Godiva - I've got some packed away here somewhere.

Do you remember the days when eating high % chocolate used to reduce our BGs a bit? It doesn't seem to happen any more..... :mad:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Arrrgh! Lidl high protein noodles are currently unavailable in store. They say they hope to have them back in store but cannot give a precise date currently.
At least they are not saying discontinued like the high protein rolls. Can't get Oomi Noodles anywhere either.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@maglil55, I only seem to get wails of distress from the diabetes nurses when I tell them how much insulin I'm taking! It doesn't help that they think my BG levels are OK around 10 or 11. I beg to differ. Low carbing isn't getting levels down but taking carbs definitely puts level up. At present, on the lower level with the new insulins, BG is between 13-18. I am gradually edging the doses upwards in the hope that I'll find a helpful dose. Then I'll get in touch with them and let them know where I'm at.

Stomach, at least, is a bit improved with less fats.

Sorting out the larder I have come across a box of "bare naked" protein noodles. I have a feeling I tried them and thought they wouldn't do for some reason. Maybe the konjac flour in them. I'll try them again tomorrow and see what happens. Found lots of out-of-date packets which have to go out - including flax seed flour, which I really didn't like - now in the bin.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Took girls shoe shopping today. It was surprisingly ok I agree @maglil55 it’s a toe in the water of normality - I think the social distancing rules have really helped. Only 12 people allowed in the shop and an assistant met us at the door and stayed to serve us. Made a change from the usual scrummage I remember.
Today I had breakfast - smoked salmon and scrambled eggs to fortify me for the shopping trip. Doing Boot camp on an empty stomach is one thing but NOT school shoe shopping!
Lunch was a mug of chicken bone broth.
Dinner salad of bits and bobs which needed eating. Pastrami, h/m coleslaw, 3 cherry toms, 1 dill pickle. Followed but DGF peanut butter brownie and cream.
@Annb I quite like the Bare Naked noodles but I found the fishy smell a bit offputting until I washed them.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 well done on your shoe shopping with the grandchildren pleased it was so well organised
@Chook lets hope the weather continues to be kind to you during your much needed break - enjoy
@Annb i use the bare naked noodles and spaghetti occasionally and like @DJC3 agree that the important thing is washing them in hot water really really well and holding your nose whilst you open them and stick into colander to wash and put wrappings straight into bin ! If you put the washed fake pasta then in your sauce or stir fry to heat up they take on flavour of the dish. @maglil55 they are worth a try if you haven’t while you can’t get the Lidl version. My top btw was from Sainsburys in the sale last year - a lucky purchase!
@zauberflote it is a tablespoon I use but a generously piled up one with a good dollop of mix - it spreads to cover my maker which is 6inches but I use the lid to press down and spread so quite thin. Using the oat fibre just makes them taste of oats and closer to a traditional oatcake! I’m sure the oat bran will work well in lc bread but will report back on any experiments. Think will try scones next.
Felt a bit tired today first thing so decided on an exercise rest day - well it’s a bank holiday too! Back to swimming in the morning.
Lunch one toasted chaffle with one slice of bacon and egg
Mid pm a couple of squares of 100% choc
Dinner Cajun chicken with Corriander salsa, a small spoon of pickle and coleslaw and glass of dry white wine mixed with soda water for pudding DGF raspberry bakewell with a few garden berries and cream.
Decaff coffee to follow with a montezumas peanut butter mini egg.
Car in for new tyres later tomorrow - it’s an advisory from the last recent MOT so getting done before we go to our next yorks jaunt this coming weekend.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 I like to go into barre classes on a 2-5 hour empty stomach, but I have to have a meal after or I'm not going to make it through the evening. For my first 5-6 months of classes, I'd bring my meal in the car to eat before I drove home, and those early classes did leave me feeling sickish-- part of it being too hungry going in! I haven't felt sick in nearly a year-- they don't take it out of me QUITE so much now! You too will acclimate! And oh pleeeeease watch out with the (as we would write it) "bob war, rhymes with sob far"-- it's a very very Southern country thing. I don't use it, but I do, with everyone, leave off the "ed"!
@Annb you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, I'm sorry!
@Chook I'm going to have to try the spaghetti for myself, once I get back on the straight and narrow. My googling shows me that various types have 5-10g net carb, and some of them are made from black soybeans- who knew there was such a thing?! And yeah, water exercise is supposed to be good for arthritis. If only my 16-yr-old formerly-obese cat liked to swim!
@mouseee good for you! Baby steps. I also lost my mother several months ago, and that was when everything hit the fan, both for US covid and me personally. I send you my deep sympathy!
Bfast avocado, a real cheater-- mostly pit!, pecans/avo oil, 2 boiled eggs, 2 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy
Snack spoonful peanut butter to take a med I forgot with
Pre-barre should be a little skyr yogurt mixed w olive oil
Supper anybody's guess but will definitely have spinach and flax crisps. Maybe a can of tuna?
Have to get to bed earlier so I can get up earlier, as practise for DIL back-to-school. I will probably be getting to her house (25+ minutes depending on traffic!) at 7:30am twice a week. I have adapted to MrZF schedule, which leaves me sleeping until after 8:00, even to 9:00, every blasted morning, and I dislike it, but on an earlier schedule I won't be seeing much of him....DIID, DIID't situation, sigh.

View attachment 43668

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@MrsA2 and @zauberflote the floating market won over the epic walk. Mainly for logistical reasons. Market was disappointing but managed to fit in a decent walk afterwards along a very pretty part of the canal network.
@Chook would love all 3 dogs :D and sure my BG would be up beyond 11 if I ate battered fish.
@shelley262 there wasn’t a lot of choice re the fence/barbed wire. Was close to the end of a long walk and the alternative would have been a good few miles back to find somewhere with a railway station.
@DJC3 I’ll remember the ‘cluttering up the fridge’ saying next time I need an excuse :hilarious:

Today’s food was breakfast - usually skip but this was an unscientific experiment to see whether eating something would curb the recent trend for my BG to soar all morning. A tub of plain Greek yoghurt was tasty but the rise was inexorable.

No lunch but getting cold on the train back from my walk (all trains seem to have the AC jacked right up at the moment) was the excuse for a Hotel Chocolat 85% hot chocolate.

Dinner - Five Guys bunless bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions. Followed by more yoghurt and some 85% batons.

Back home on the early train in the morning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

last day of my lovely holiday. Hear those violins?

So we went out for lunch to garden centre. Massive wait in 2m distancing queue, or we could sit outside where there were 7 empty tables. Sunny day. No brainer, really.
No idea at all why people were choosing to sit inside in the cafe!

had a fab ham and cheese omelette, and 9 hrs later, still don’t want anything else. Need to replicate this at home.

tomorrow will be a mega jambalaya cook up. Mr B is working late shifts all week, so I'm eating on my own and basically want something quick, easy, minimal washing up. Since I don’t mind eating the same thing for days at a time, so jambalaya it is!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - Chicken with garlic mushrooms,broccoli and a few carrots. SF jelly and double cream. 2 squares of montezumas 100% black with mint, another cup of earl grey and double cream. and Oh .. I stole a little keebab meat and spicy chicken from son's takeaway. I was hungry/greedy tonight :hungry:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oddly (or maybe not) my BG dropped to 7.9 2 hours after lunch, which consisted of a high dose of insulin, one pickled egg and a spoonful of pickled red onion. That's the lowest it has been in ages. But it did take a relatively large dose of insulin along with the low carb and low calorie lunch. So that level of insulin won't be enough for a meal with any noticeable carbs in it at all. I feel another insulin hike coming on.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B was 2 freshly laid eggs scrambled - there are chickens where we are staying and these eggs were laid this morning. However I don't really note any taste difference to shop bought - is it just me?
Late lunch of picnic sd with family. Did have one mini muffin and tried 2 new crisp snacks after a base of fritata and sausages
D cheese seeded crisps and 3 cherry tomatoes

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
these eggs were laid this morning. However I don't really note any taste difference to shop bought - is it just me?
The eggs from my own chickens taste exactly the same as supermarket eggs to me, except from the flavour enhancement of knowing they're happy and free chickens :)