What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, did you use coconut milk or coconut cream? I have both
Thanks
Well it took me a while to work this out, the names coconut milk and coconut cream seem to be interchangeable, but I realised what makes this ‘porridge’ better tasting is to use the small cartons or tins of around 160 - 200ml with a high % of coconut extract. The large 400ml tins are generally lower %. If you’re in the U.K. here are four different products I’ve used successfully, the top two from Tesco the bottom two from Waitrose :hungry:

0EB58EE0-3A67-4E6C-AEC4-09CE9565EAC9.jpeg

Reactions: pms543

pms543

Thanks so much!! I’m in Uk
I used a coconut milk with a high % am sure but chucked tin . It was creamy but I must admit I need to aquire the taste lol
Gosh, tho, prices are a bit up there!!
Thanks for your help x

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; paleo granola, slice of low carb toast and butter
mocha
Lunch; scrambled egg and bacon on one slice of wholemeal toast (out and about). lots of tea
Dinner: m and s seeded crackers, pate and a few cherry tomatoes, berries and cream and some 90% lindt

An interesting challenge tomorrow, lunch out with in laws at an Italian where everyone will be munching pasta or pizza followed by tiramisu. Found a nice starter with meats, cheeses, peppers and artichokes which should do nicely with a gin!! Should help me cope with the looks of sympathy and 'poor you not being able to eat normal food' comments:angelic::banghead:
You should be able to get a veal or chicken dish. Also Italian's I frequent offer some lovely seafood dishes or an Aubergine parmigiana?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dinner Thursday night
vegetable and puffed tofu Laksa (I made the puff tofu myself never knew how easy it is to make puff tofu so at least I know when I have another craving for laksa which is not that often and can't found puff tofu)

~~ Friday ~~
~~~breakfast~~~
scrambled eggs made using 2 eggs and about tablespoon cream cooked in some ghee and a few slices of tomatoes, had no bread so had my eggs with, to be honest I can' remember if I had 1 or 2 Pureharvest organic rice cakes so it is important to jot down what you eat straight away sometimes so you remember what you ate and how it will affect BSL.

when grocery shopping so when I came home was a bit hungry

~~~lunch~~~~ tin tuna on two slices of thinly sliced sourdough bread with butter and some lemon juice and a cup of coffee and a slice of watermelon which needed to be eaten and a glass of ACV.

~~~dinner~~~ heated up leftover laksa but didn't finish only ate half. I also took some melatonin to help me sleep and normally just makes me sleepy but this time I fell asleep in front of the TV something I rarely do and woke up at 11pm and don't know why but had a few squares of chocolate so of course was wide awake so when I did go to bed at 1.30 am I couldn't sleep LOL....

~~Saturday~~
~~~Breakfast~~~
scrambled eggs made using 2 eggs and about tablespoon cream cooked in some ghee and a few thinly slices of tomatoes on a slice of buttered sourdough bread.

been having issues using the diabetes forum app on my phone sometimes it will not open and tells me the site is down but if I log on using my computer it works any one else having issues. Thanks
The App apparently goes weird after 11pm for a while. I don't know if that would be whatever time you are on when we're at 11pm (I've kind of lost track of the clock changes).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed and FBG on Friday were both 4.8. Still cannot face coffee. Boys will be fit to return to school Monday.

B. Just water and later 4 M&S crackers with Philly.

L slice of ox tongue.

D. Courgetti carbonara. 4 strawberries with a dash of cream.

Why do cold sores feel huge??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The App apparently goes weird after 11pm for a while. I don't know if that would be whatever time you are on when we're at 11pm (I've kind of lost track of the clock changes).
It's 11PM UK time, for me in the Netherlands it starts at midnight, lasting for 20 or 30 minutes.
been having issues using the diabetes forum app on my phone sometimes it will not open and tells me the site is down but if I log on using my computer it works any one else having issues. Thanks
It seems that apart from the regular 11PM glitches the forum has had some more hiccoughs yesterday or the day before. If it's just a one off thing I wouldn't worry about it and just assume it's our techies doing something, well, technical, causing the forum to stutter a bit. But if it happens more often, please let us know!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to take the steak out of the freezer. Idiot! So I had a small piece of cod which I pan fried and put into a sandwich with Neil's wholemeal bread.

Great improvement on an omelette made of rubber and scrambled eggs which didn't taste of anything at all (hospital fare). Actually - there was another meal of a kind of beef stew which looked as though it had come out of a tin of dog food and a scoop of mashed potato. I hadn't expected to be eating lunch at the hospital, so hadn't asked for anything but they brought it anyway, so I ungratefully pecked at it. Didn't taste all that bad - a bit salty but edible.

pms543

Bed and FBG on Friday were both 4.8. Still cannot face coffee. Boys will be fit to return to school Monday.

Oo hope you are feeling much better soon!
Can I ask, are the m&s crackers g/f? I fancy trying them!

Reactions: maglil55

pms543

Today has been a busy day baking. I’ve made g/f diabetic lemon drizzle buns and oopsies ( cloud bread) for my eating and for the Family , they can tuck into banana and choc loaf. Proud of myself for not tasting!

B/fast was the coconut porridge with blueberries
Lunch was homemade chicken soup
Tea was bacon & egg on oopsies

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

L slice of ox tongue.

D. Courgetti carbonara. 4 strawberries with a dash of cream.

Why do cold sores feel huge??

At least you seem to be a little bit better, but it is going so slowly. I do hope you feel a lot better very soon. Cold sore - not only big but painful. You need lots of hugs from your nearest and dearest, along with a good deal of TLC.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc toasted and topped with guacamole, chia seeds & a little tomato. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - roast chicken with brussel sprouts, broccoli, a little carrot. Handful of nuts. 1 slice dgf lemon drizzle cake, mug of earl grey tea

Also had couple of cheese strings throughout the day/night

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had that or a similar message using the app in the short time I used it, I left a 1 star review on the Play Store saying thet it was useless and use a browser.

I uninstalled it from my devices, the forum works perfectly well for me using Chrome browser. The only time I have problems is with the 09:00 am (aest) slowing down to unusable period. :meh:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Food Dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Dinner: mushroom paté sandwiches made from LC bread with coleslaw followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a bit forgetful about putting my menu here, here's yesterdays.

Three slices middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, button mushrooms and tomatoes, two slices low carb toast and vegimite.
Two low carb atkins bars, lemon cordial with a scoop of osmolax in it.
Roast boned and rolled fore quarter lamb, vegies, gravy, pineapple jelly for lunch.
Left over rolled lamb toasted sandwiches for supper at six.

Six pepper crackers with cheddar cheese and kimchi on them, while watching Carnival Row on Prime Video.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. TMAD today.

Lunch on the go - way back from a medical appointment was M&S manchego cheese and Serrano ham rollitos and a bag of oven roast mixed nuts.

Dinner was homemade burgers, Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages and smoked streaky bacon. Couldn’t finish it so left half of one of the burgers.

E76D3498-99E7-4EAC-8088-393C1AB93F9B.jpeg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a bit of an odd day food-wise.

We were out this late afternoon/early evening to a function which included a buffet. We decided we'd have a bit more at lunch in case the buffet wasn't to our preferences. Breakfast full fat Greek yoghurt and kefir. For me lunch was a large salad with tuna and coleslaw. I was very full afterwards.

Actually, the buffet at the function had something for everyone. Lots of sarnie, quiche and vol au vents - all of which I passed on, as well as several varieties of cheese and chicken skewers. There were also strawberries, and various other fruits, and macaron.

Needless to say, I ate LOTS of cheese, some chicken and some strawberries. MrB had other stuff too, whilst declaring the mini macaron to be excellent.

We were both surprised how good the food was. We've both over eaten in our own way, but hey ho. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did an experiment with cauliflower 'zuurkoolstamppot' today, worked very well!
As you might have deduced from my previous reports on andijviestamppot, stamppot just means potatoes mashed with some vegetable or other, it's something like our national dish.
A rather humble national dish, but tasty nonetheless, and I've missed it since diabetes. So cauliflower is proving to be my new best friend! :)

Zuurkool is sauerkraut ('zuur' means sour, 'kool' is cabbage, 'zuurkoolstamppot' therefore simply means sour-cabbage-mash-pot, the name is as humble as the dish.), and you traditionally eat the stamppot with 'zuurkoolspek'. Also with cubed bacon and/or smoked sausage but I didn't have any smoked sausage so I went with the zuurkoolspek and some bacon cubes.

I have no idea if you have anything like the zuurkoolspek in the UK. It's a piece of pork belly without the rind, and it's mildly brined but not smoked. You cook it in water for anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours (sources aren't very consistent, mine went some 50 minutes, long enough with the current gas prices).
After that, you can use it just as it is, or you can cut slices and fry them, I love both!
I'll post a picture of the rest of the zuurkoolspek tomorrow.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small breakfast of ff greek with seeds and 6 raspberries
Yoga
Food shop
L: mushrooms fried in butter, finished with a tablespoon cream cheese and some chives, on one slice hilo toast. Hm lc cinnamon cake and cream
D: hubby cooking so while waiting had some nuts and Cheesies and a glass red. Finally got hm meatballs in a lot of tomato sauce served on cabbage. Very tasty, and 3 more portions frozen away.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Edit: took out my response to Antje's post and put it on the parallel thread.

Should the above reply have been put onto the other thread? It's a bit long and not exactly what I have eaten today, though I would have liked to.

Last edited:

RosemaryJackson

morning all. im going out for bf today. at the hall in the next village they have a monthly tabletop sale in winter and you can have a full English for a fiver. so it will be a good start. for dinner tonight, a minted lamb shank with kale and farmhouse veg. i keep repeating ..... i must be good, i must be good!! im finding it very hard to be good atm.