“Wrong type of diabetes”

JMHAY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At my last review I yet again raised the topic of self-testing of blood glucose levels. Again, I was told I didn’t need to do any testing but this time I was also told “you have the wrong type of diabetes”. I should have asked what she meant but my patience was wearing pretty thin after some other horrible comments that had been made.

I have tried to cut down on my alcohol intake knowing full well that this has a massive impact on BG results. I told the nurse that I wanted to find out what other things I was eating and drinking were causing such high BG levels (currently tested only on a yearly basis). The nurse said that as long I continued to eat healthily and continue with Metformin and Vipidia the BG levels should get lower.

But how do I know if what I’m doing, or rather not doing, is working when bloods are only tested yearly? I do have a monitor that another nurse gave me but I can’t afford the strips and lancets. So what do I do?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Get a meter with cheaper strips then test rigorously for a month to see how usual foods affect you. Then test less frequently as needed?

Reactions: Rose22

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I will tag @Rachox , if I remember she has a recommendation and links for an affordable meter with test strips. This will help you with monitoring. :)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @MeiChanski

Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I recommend the Tee2 after problems with the SD Codefree. If you phone the company and order 200 strips, chances are they will throw in the meter for free.

You are investing in your health. Testing isn't forever.

You are absolutely right, testing is essential for T2s to identify those foods we can tolerate and those we can't.

Ellenor2000

At my last review I yet again raised the topic of self-testing of blood glucose levels. Again, I was told I didn’t need to do any testing but this time I was also told “you have the wrong type of diabetes”. I should have asked what she meant but my patience was wearing pretty thin after some other horrible comments that had been made.

I have tried to cut down on my alcohol intake knowing full well that this has a massive impact on BG results. I told the nurse that I wanted to find out what other things I was eating and drinking were causing such high BG levels (currently tested only on a yearly basis). The nurse said that as long I continued to eat healthily and continue with Metformin and Vipidia the BG levels should get lower.

But how do I know if what I’m doing, or rather not doing, is working when bloods are only tested yearly? I do have a monitor that another nurse gave me but I can’t afford the strips and lancets. So what do I do?

She might be trying to say that you got misdiagnosed?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the above and would like to add that alcohol, although VERY unhealthy, doesn't impact your blood sugar by much. If anything, it will lower it. Provided you choose drinks with no or very few carbs of course.

I told the nurse that I wanted to find out what other things I was eating and drinking were causing such high BG levels
As a rule, carbs make your bg go high, fats and protein don't. The amount of carbs for all foods are on the package or you can do a simple google search if you buy fresh foods with no package.

Would you like to tell us what foods and drinks you typically have in a day? We're happy to take a look at it.

You say you have high bg levels. If they're very high, do you know how come you only have tests once a year? That seems unusual.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the argument for testing blood glucose analogously to using the speedometer when driving, or waiting to see if you get fined for speeding or honked at for going slow.
After a few weeks of testing I could happily go on eating my low carb diet secure in the knowledge that my blood glucose was not just not spiking after meals, but was falling lower week by week as I seemed to be recovering.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There's no such thing as 'the wrong type of diabetes' so in that respect the nurse was talking rubbish. Perhaps she was implying you might have been mis-diagnosed? See how the meds go and ask for clarification if needed.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There's no such thing as 'the wrong type of diabetes' so in that respect the nurse was talking rubbish. Perhaps she was implying you might have been mis-diagnosed? See how the meds go and ask for clarification if needed.
I understood it as 'the wrong kind of diabetes to get test strips funded'.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I understood it as 'the wrong kind of diabetes to get test strips funded'.
So did I, but I've just had a thought.

T2s on insulin or meds such as gliclazide are supposed to get strips. Does anyone know if vipidia can cause hypos? (Google says "relatively little risk".... hmm)

Reactions: Rose22

Chelseagirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a friend in this situation, and gave him a spare meter I had and he buys strips off eBay. His GP was well impressed that he had managed to control his BG levels on diet alone. Just think what savings could be made when future treatments due to uncontrolled BG were removed by giving a pot of test strips every 2 months or so.

Reactions: Concordjan

MatthewC121

The blood test you are having are 6 months previous average ratings. If you are really that concerned I am sure you would be able to find funds for strips.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The issue they have is that current guidelines are stating that. The nurses know that it could help, they also know there is a huge population in the diabetic community who it doesn't help. Those unwilling to make changes just get high readings and shrug. It's only a useful tool if you use it to make changes to your life and stick to them, other wise it's allot of expense that does not reduce the cost of medicine in the long run.

People who use this forum regularly are the ones who are working hard to change or maintain, but in the minority.

It's the standard 80/20 rule being applied and there is not limitless money to be applied so they don't do it.

The numbers will be solid even if I/we don't like it.

The part that sucks, is that it's another example of rules that work for people with disposable income, bit leaves those who don't have the money to spare to guess

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I remember distinctly, just after I was misdiagnosed with at first prediabetes in 2001, just after the turn of the century, I got a meter to record and monitor my blood sugars. When misdiagnosed with T2, the doctor at that time asked if I still had my monitor, but I had stopped using it, I had always had my test strips on prescription, but due to elapse before my actual diagnosis, the strips were taken off my prescription by my GP, who told me that due to monetary policy within surgery, strips were stopped for T2s.
This was part of the universal NHS guidelines, austerity and government cuts.

In 2013, I had my true diagnosis of reactive hypoglycaemia. My GP at first refused my request for test strips, because I was taken off the diabetic register due to me being non-diabetic.
This also, stopped my annual reviews with a dsn, my optical screening and eye tests, also, I was told by my GP that because of this decision, I would have to pay for my prescription.
I was on three prescription drugs, one of which, was for controlling my insulin response. The other two were aspirin and Irbesartan.
I was not happy! I was only doing a few hours work a week because of my being incapable of doing a manual job, and of course my limited pension. I could not really afford that!
At my next appointment with my endocrinologist, he literally wrote a strongly worded letter in front of me, demanding a reversal of the decision my GP had made. He questioned the wisdom of denying my access to meds and strips to help me understand what was happening to my body and the cause of my condition. He asked my GP to refer to him if he did not respond to his letter, and he would ensure that a prescription and of course to be enrolled back onto the diabetic register as it was a metabolic condition similar to diabetes.
In the closing paragraph, he advised my GP to review my treatment and educate himself about how reactive hypoglycaemia can be treated with dietary intake and good control. With use of a glucometer as a necessary tool.
My GP did as he was requested, and I received a new glucometer and plenty of test strips, and I attend all my diabetes reviews!

Never, give up fighting for what you believe you should have for treatment of whatever condition you have.
Always ask if you can improve your treatment and see if there are other options open to you.
Knowledge is key to understanding our bodies.

The current guidelines are part of the dogmatic government approach to public spending especially in the NHS guidelines. The austerity measures of the last two Tory governments are a disgrace and a shame on our country and its people who are suffering because of this political dogma!
Don't be fooled by the rhetoric of our current prime minister, it is a sham, a con and totally absurd abuse of political power.
The Tories have shown time and time again that they are only interested in themselves and the privileged!

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I remember distinctly, just after I was misdiagnosed with at first prediabetes in 2001, just after the turn of the century, I got a meter to record and monitor my blood sugars. When misdiagnosed with T2, the doctor at that time asked if I still had my monitor, but I had stopped using it, I had always had my test strips on prescription, but due to elapse before my actual diagnosis, the strips were taken off my prescription by my GP, who told me that due to monetary policy within surgery, strips were stopped for T2s.
This was part of the universal NHS guidelines, austerity and government cuts.

In 2013, I had my true diagnosis of reactive hypoglycaemia. My GP at first refused my request for test strips, because I was taken off the diabetic register due to me being non-diabetic.
This also, stopped my annual reviews with a dsn, my optical screening and eye tests, also, I was told by my GP that because of this decision, I would have to pay for my prescription.
I was on three prescription drugs, one of which, was for controlling my insulin response. The other two were aspirin and Irbesartan.
I was not happy! I was only doing a few hours work a week because of my being incapable of doing a manual job, and of course my limited pension. I could not really afford that!
At my next appointment with my endocrinologist, he literally wrote a strongly worded letter in front of me, demanding a reversal of the decision my GP had made. He questioned the wisdom of denying my access to meds and strips to help me understand what was happening to my body and the cause of my condition. He asked my GP to refer to him if he did not respond to his letter, and he would ensure that a prescription and of course to be enrolled back onto the diabetic register as it was a metabolic condition similar to diabetes.
In the closing paragraph, he advised my GP to review my treatment and educate himself about how reactive hypoglycaemia can be treated with dietary intake and good control. With use of a glucometer as a necessary tool.
My GP did as he was requested, and I received a new glucometer and plenty of test strips, and I attend all my diabetes reviews!

Never, give up fighting for what you believe you should have for treatment of whatever condition you have.
Always ask if you can improve your treatment and see if there are other options open to you.
Knowledge is key to understanding our bodies.

The current guidelines are part of the dogmatic government approach to public spending especially in the NHS guidelines. The austerity measures of the last two Tory governments are a disgrace and a shame on our country and its people who are suffering because of this political dogma!
Don't be fooled by the rhetoric of our current prime minister, it is a sham, a con and totally absurd abuse of political power.
The Tories have shown time and time again that they are only interested in themselves and the privileged!

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Well said . Mad when you think May was diabetic

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Your nurse is talking rubbish! Test! It’s the only way you know how you are doing. When I started low carb I used to test all the time, 3 years down the line I don’t test as often, but still do.
Also you should be having a blood test at least every 6 months.
Also a glass of red wine actually reduces your blood sugar levels! Happy about that.
Good luck
Jan

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The blood test you are having are 6 months previous average ratings. If you are really that concerned I am sure you would be able to find funds for strips.

Sorry, but I find your reply concerning. You have NO idea of the finances of the poster who has said they cannot afford strips. Many people out in the world can't even pay their rent or buy proper food for their kids, EVERY penny is accounted for. To say 'if you're that concerned you would' is deplorable in my opinion.