2 weeks in and making progress

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As per previous posts, diagnosed on 30/11/17 with hba1c of 79. Apparently was high way back in September 2015, but no one saw fit to tell me, and when I was with the nurse she showed me the records of my blood tests over the last 2 years, it’s been going up and up! So now on metformin but changed to slow release as stomach couldn’t hack it.

Anyway, I’ve got the spirit tee2 meter and have gone keto LCHF: eating to the meter etc. My first waking reading was 13.7 eeek! Pre-dinner was 10.2.
Today it’s 11 which is still super high but now my pre dinner is 8.1.

So I guess I’m getting there. I’m using the free mySugr app and it’s showing an estimated hba1c of 65.5.
I’ve also lost 2.5 kilos, but I think the first kg was due to water and metformin tummy.

I’ve learnt not to trust the cookbooks on here: thanks chickpea curry (spike), especially as they have missing steps and ingredients. The diet doctor website is blo@dy amazing and I’m now horrified at what the drugs do to your body by forcing the sugar out of the blood and into the organs, so I’m going off the metformin once my bs is back down.

My eyesight has totally gone to pot in the last 2 weeks, so that’s possibly due to metformin. Optician has said to get tested in a month or so when my bs is stable. I’m finding it hard to read on my iPad even with reading glasses on

I’ve also meal planned for Xmas as we have myriad diets to cater to, vegan, vegetarian, fussy teens and hubby, and me. I’m not going to relax as I can’t face the Keto Flu again, having just got through it with the help of miso. I’ve got a kilo bag of pork scratchings on the way lol.

So if anyone else is having a paddy like I did, there is a glimmer of light.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Glad to see you're making progress and I empathise over the diets. For Xmas we have me who's Type1, my father who's Type 2, my husband who could become Type 2 if he ate poorly because both his parents were, and my son who's been vegan for a couple of years. Luckily my daughter eats anything, but when her gf visits in January we'll have an additional allergy to dairy, wheat, onions and garlic!:) (Sometimes I miss my early years of diagnosis when all I had to do was count carbs and didn't have to worry about whether foods spiked my levels....)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, good start
When you start lowering BS eyesight does go off for a while - its because excess sugar gets into the vitreous fluid in the eye and changes the shape of the lens, lowering sugars changes lens shape again but it all settles with stable sugars

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ver well done on your progress, keep it up. A couple of points though, Metformin does not force glucose into the organs and has not had the effects on your eyesight. As your adjust your carb intake and lower your bg this is what will affect the eyes temporarily but should clear up soon. The optician is right in that you should have a re test in a while (don't go buying new specs until your bg is lower).
Metformin is considered a safe drug and will actually give a little protection to the organs, you can search within this forum for its benefits and its drawbacks.

Again, great work on taking a pro active role in your health.

RobertHatch7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m new also 6/12 I was told, also on metformin and my eyes have gone funny also, they feel like they are tired. This diabetes is so confusing, I have stopped adding sugar to things and on sweetener. I have no idea what carbs I should be eating etc etc I need to see a dietician In January. If I have a dessert on Xmas day is it dangerous or can we have sugar no and then? Is it worth paying £100 a year for the testing things I saw on this web site yesterday? I seem to be on the web site for everything I want to eat these days,

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m new also 6/12 I was told, also on metformin and my eyes have gone funny also, they feel like they are tired. This diabetes is so confusing, I have stopped adding sugar to things and on sweetener. I have no idea what carbs I should be eating etc etc I need to see a dietician In January. If I have a dessert on Xmas day is it dangerous or can we have sugar no and then? Is it worth paying £100 a year for the testing things I saw on this web site yesterday? I seem to be on the web site for everything I want to eat these days,
I got the Tee2 for free and bought extra strips. I’m using my fitness pal for carbs and mySugr for keeping note of my bs.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Have a read of the diet doctor website . https://www.dietdoctor.com/
I’ve not paid for anything apart from lancets and test strips.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

As a T2 there is no need to spend that much on a meter. Go for meter which has the lower priced strips such as the Codefree one. It is hard work at first, sorting out what to eat and what to avoid and here's where a meter can be invaluable. You can ask a stand alone question for advice on meters or you can use the search function. I think I paid about £12 for my Codefree btw.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I paid about £12 for my Codefree
I realise that The Codefree strips work out a little bit cheaper if you buy lots, but I'd like to put in a word for the TEE2. Firstly, the fact that it's free, but you get a useful little carrying case, 10 free strips, 10 free lancets (which will last for ages if, like me, you re-use them) a free lancet gun and free bottles of testing fluid. Then, customer service is fantastic. You can speak directly to a REAL PERSON 24/7 on a freephone line whenever you have a question or if you prefer not to order online. Your order arrives pretty much by return of post. You can have a replacement gun, batteries and more testing fluid, as well as the CD and cable for connecting to a computer, all free. (The last two I failed to make work, but at least they didn't cost me anything.) The meter works faster than the only other one I've tried and it only requires a small drop of blood.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Sorry, I see Elise just said most of tis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sure we are all going to have more sugar than normal over Christmas. Just use the meter to check you don't go too high; it's easier if you're T1 and have insulin. Have more complex carbs when you can and smooth consumption during the day. Fat with the carbs also smooths absorption. Metformin is a very safe drug with very few side effects. There is the SR (Slow Release) version if bowel issues don't clear. It works partly as an appetite suppressant and reduces the liver's glucose (glycogen) output by a little. BTW beware NHS dieticians; some are up to date and good but others push the out-dated and harmful 'Eat Well Plate' mantra.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used TrueTrack meter/strips for years. I buy bottles of 50 strips for $10, meters and lancets come free if you buy in quantity. ADW is the site.

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aargh. Christmas is hard.
So much junk around and OH nicked some of my chicken drumsticks to hand round. Let them eat flipping cake, cos I can’t!

Good news is MySugr app is showing estimated hba1c of 62 so the LCHF is working. Just another 20 to go.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Christmas is easy - Well - I doubt that I could get anything more into the fridges and I know that the freezer is totally full - and I can't find where I put the advocaat - but apart from that, all I have to do is cook and enjoy.
I don't need sugar nor starch to have an enjoyable Christmas.

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also fairly new, diagnosed mid September this year
Was worried about today but have relaxed a bit...
Dip with carrots / celery (and a few kettle chips) before lunch.
Full roast dinner including 1 small roast potato, parsnips, stuffing & 1 yorkshire pud.
Since that, 2 low carb mince pies from a recipe found on here (Estimate 15g carbs each incl brandy butter) Excellent recipe!
Turkey & stuffing roll (Lidl protein roll) for tea.

Highest reading 6.7 - which was before I ate anything - go figure!
Wish I had done bacon & eggs for breakfast too.

Note - at diagnosis, HBA1c was 101. Retest after 6 weeks 52. MySugr currently estimating <36.
I might be mostly low-carbing but figured a day off was in order.

Going for a little 70% chocolate now!

Reactions: Melinda14256

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We just got back from a family day out - just to be sure all was well I tested my BG 5.6 mmol/l same as yesterday.
After eating so much I expected a lot higher, but no - unless my meter is broken.