Type 1 A Little Health Advice?

Kyle77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, I'm very new to this and currently feeling very under the weather so apologies if this is on another thread.

I'm a 25-year old, Type 1 diabetic on insulin injections. I've always been in good health since my diagnosis although, I have had a high number of illnesses and infections this year.

I'm just looking for some advice. Last night, around 3:30am, I was woken with incredibly severe abdominal pain. I'd definitely say pain over cramps, I have a high pain threshold and it had me close to tears it was so painful. No matter what I did, or what position I tried to get in, the pain merely intensified. I couldn't stand and even in the fetal position, the pain was severe. It went on for around 2-3 hours with very occasional minor breaks before flaring up to severe again. My girlfriend was going to call an ambulance it was that bad however, as silly as it sounds, I've been admitted to hospital numerous times already this year and spent hours and hours waiting around, feeling awful, to have no real solution given to me. This made me very, very reluctant for a trip to hospital in the early hours. I just prayed and prayed it would pass. It's worth noting I did have a horrible fever at the time too. I was sweating out on the bathroom floor, feeling like I'd pass out, but cold as ice to touch.

Around 6:30-7am, it calmed enough that I managed to sleep for an hour or two. Upon waking the pain has massively subsided. I feel sick today and my abdomen feels quite tight, with sharp pains coming for short, random intervals. I feel fairly light headed all day too, drained, nauseous and light headed..

I know the ideal thing is to go get checked out at A&E but as mentioned, my experiences this year with A&E have made me hugely reluctant to spend all afternoon & evening there, to potentially get no answers, especially as the severity of the pain has subsided currently.

I'm just enquiring if anyone has had similar issues to this or has a view on what it could be and what I should do? Online it fits so many problems, appendicitis, stomach ulcer etc. etc. However, I feel as the pain has subsided mostly, it's unlikely to be any of these??

Sorry for the long post but wanted to get everything in. Please can anybody help and advise??

Thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Go to A&E it could be your appendix, don't waste time on here you need to get checked out. Do let us know.

Reactions: 2 people

Kyle77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Go to A&E it could be your appendix, don't waste time on here you need to get checked out. Do let us know.

Do you know if the pain would subside from appendicitis? I was planning to go to A&E this morning but because the pain mostly subsided, I try to convince myself it isn't something serious.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Dawn, given the severity of your pain & discomfort you need to be seen by a Dr asap.

Juicyjan53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Kyle. I had something similar and it was gallstones and a stomach ulcer. The pain was intense and was mainly at night. This was on the right side of my upper abdomen just below my chest. Appendicitis tends to be lower right hand side. In any event I think it needs investigation. Take care.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As you say it can be many things and annoyingly some of these conditions can grumble on for a long time before becoming more obvious and make it easier to diagnose. I would go to A&E next time it becomes serious again as a good doctor should be able to prod around and hopefully pinpoint the cause.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
This pain is not typical of appendicitis and at your age, anything else serious would be unlikely. It was probably a self-limiting gut virus infection, particularly if you are now back to normal.