Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

the choc avoidance is going well. Very easy (which amazes me).

But finding a less-than-full-carnivore-while-avoiding-much-veg-woe is proving challenging.
Currently have a fridge full of mushroom and chicken liver soup, mince curry with tomatoes and coconut, pork shoulder steak in onion and prunes with a dash of cream. There have been other curries with spinach, onion bhagis and a veg sauce. We had keto porridge for brekkie today, sausagemeat and eggs and cheese yesterday, and kefir the day before.

not much veg at all, but i’m beginning to think that even this level of veg is impacting my joints. Probably those pesky tomatoes... will make up a gluten free keto loaf and use that as a side to the meat for a few days.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in awe of you giving up coffee! Go you!

I found giving up coffee astonishingly easy. It must be 3 and a half years now since I tasted it.
All it took was discovering the effect it was having on my blood pressure.
I just never picked up another mug of it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of chocolate avoidance here too - beginning to think this thread should have been called ‘what haven’t you eaten today?’ :D.

Even managed to swerve the chocolate aisle in Lidl - not going down it is definitely the safest plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Beating-My-Betes

I found giving up coffee astonishingly easy. It must be 3 and a half years now since I tasted it.

Well done!

I actually only really drink one type of cold-brew coffee. If I don't have it, I don't go crazy. But for a while I was using it to compensate for certain things. Now I'm just addicted to the taste. If I could get a decaf version, it'd be no issue. In fact, the other place I sometimes get coffee (Only if I shop at a particular place, I normally order decaf. I wonder if that's allowed during Feb ;)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done. I know I drink too much of the stuff but nothing else hits the spot in the same way. One of these days I might try to give up, but I’m not even going to try at the moment.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, I’ve been thinking about joining this thread since @Goonergal posted it. As some of you know 2020 wasn’t kind to me, as in addition to Covid and all the stress that entails, my dad died suddenly in the spring, my mother broke her arm, my daughter escaped Spain from her Uni year abroad the night before flights stopped from Spain, hubby was made redundant plus I have had a few health issues myself. The result of this is I have put back on some of the weight I lost when I was diagnosed type 2. I didn’t really fall off the low carb wagon, indeed my HbA1c in December was 36, but my portions definitely grew, especially, dark chocolate and cream!
Over the last two weeks I have reduced portions sizes of everything and have already lost around 2kg. I find it easier to cut down on everything rather than cutting out specific things. This seems like it will be a friendly encouraging thread without too much pressure. I look forward to comparing notes on Abstenuary February.

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
No takeaway meals for February here. Means I have to learn to cook so the other half isn't looking for a glass slipper...

Last time I cooked chicken it was called ,"a la Sahara" as it was so dry ....

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I'm in. I don't know how I going to do it. I've cut down on the nuts from around a breakfast bowl a day, to some on a plate. At least a whole month without nuts....I feel strangely nervous, weird.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No takeaway meals for February here. Means I have to learn to cook so the other half isn't looking for a glass slipper...

I've recently started to poach chicken whole in chicken stock in a lidded casserole type dish... keeps it very moist. Liquid up to the armpits (wings) leaving the breast and tops of the legs exposed 150C for 90 minutes then the last 10-20 at 200 lid off to crisp up the skin. It's been a revelation.

Reactions: BRSBRI

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I throw a chicken in the slow cooker all on its own. It stays so moist and tender it actually falls apart trying to get it out (using a sling of foil to lower it in and lift it out helps here). Would have to pop it in the oven if you want to crisp it up though.

Reactions: BRSBRI

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished eating for today and no nut snacks sneaked out of nut tin! My lowcarb blondie had pecans in it but it’s the nut snacks I’m excluding. Hope everyone coping - at least February is a short month!
@Rachox you've had a very difficult year and done so so well - wishing you good luck with your plan to just eat a bit less generally as we know even lc foods can add up. Sounds like you’re making some progress already.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Finished eating for today and no nut snacks sneaked out of nut tin! My lowcarb blondie had pecans in it but it’s the nut snacks I’m excluding. Hope everyone coping - at least February is a short month!
@Rachox you've had a very difficult year and done so so well - wishing you good luck with your plan to just eat a bit less generally as we know even lc foods can add up. Sounds like you’re making some progress already.

I know I have only been here for a few weeks, but can I say I'm super impressed with the depth, breadth of knowledge and support offered to those who need it in what is a very difficult chronic condition which still has many fallacies floating about...

I had a ½ teaspoon of peanut butter for dessert...but the deliveroo app I've removed from the mobile ...Phew!

Hotpepper20000

I plan on cutting out all grains again.
I was grain free for few years but now let the odd cracker or sour dough bread pass my lips. COVID and Isolation has been hard for most of us and it would seem food is still a comfort when we can’t meet with family
Only about a 10 pound gain, and my blood sugar is not really spiking too much, but my joints have been awful and I’m not sleeping well
One week of strict avoidance I already notice difference.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I'm in. I don't know how I going to do it. I've cut down on the nuts from around a breakfast bowl a day, to some on a plate. At least a whole month without nuts....I feel strangely nervous, weird.
Oh no, not NUTS! I really admire your resolve.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve stuck to my planned food today with just one exception, hubby and I had to go to the bank and there’s a Nero’s next door, couldn’t resist, I love my cappuccinos. I had a coconut milk one as slightly less carbs than a normal one!

Reactions: Pipp and Speedbird

Hotpepper20000

I’ve stuck to my planned food today with just one exception, hubby and I had to go to the bank and there’s a Nero’s next door, couldn’t resist, I love my cappuccinos. I had a coconut milk one as slightly less carbs than a normal one!
That sounds delicious

Beating-My-Betes

Day 1: A story of success and of 'failure'.

No-bread was not an issue, although it surprised me how easily I subconsciously veered for bread-y stuff in the supermarket. While I'm definitely also ruling out biscuits or cake (For similar reasons to the bread), I will allow something that is covered in breadcrumbs e.g the soy nuggets I occasionally like.

The coffee was another matter entirely. I think it was justified, in this case. Decided to wake up everyday between 4-6am, for this month. Woke up at 5am, no problem. But I didn't go to sleep until 1:30am. By 9am I already had that 1000-mile stare and felt myself drifting off. So as not to waste the whole day, I went out for a couple of coffees. That set me right for the day. And now I'm tired enough that I'll be asleep soon, and be better prepared for day 2. I see that as a good reason, rather than a bad excuse. Works for me ;)

All power to the rest of ya!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Oh no, not NUTS! I really admire your resolve.
I had to console myself in two meals with some of my favourites. I did match my intake with 7 mile walk and 20 x 155 kg dead lifts over 2 sessions and some other stuff.

upload_2021-2-1_21-22-5.png

I did notice less after dinner bloat without the nuts.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m in. Nut butter obvs. In fact all nuts - having bought and eaten a large bag of M&S mixed nuts on the journey to and from London this week, but hardly remembering eating them at all.
I’m not counting ground almonds which I have sometimes in the form of lc bread, pizza base etc. in this form I don’t tend to overindulge in mindless snacking.
Question - do I now hoover up all remaining nuts in the house quickly before Monday?
Oh I like the distinction between nuts and ground almonds. I could go along with that.
Been pondering what should I do to address the static weight., as I could do with shedding some more. Eating low carb is fine, but I have never been able to lose much weight without also reducing quantities of higher fat foods. That ‘eat until you have had enough’ theory just doesn’t work for me.

So, nuts or cheese. What will be absent for me this month? Nuts if I can exclude ground almonds from the exclusion. ;). I will go easy with the cheese, too, and there will be no cream.
Alas, with a covid vaccination due this week, I think red wine is also off my menu in view of the article:-
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...d-after.html&usg=AOvVaw0DvdU6dQuxgWE2OWPIMWtt
What a relief this is not a leap year. 27 days to go.