anyone with over 100lbs to lose?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 43917

catza said:
anyone with over 100lbs to lose?......... Me.
c0220.gif

I had the result of my first blood sugar test on !st February this year and I realised I probably had Diabetes. I searched about the net for information and found this site. Low carbing made so much sense that I changed my diet that very day and yesterday recorded a total of 4 st weight loss.
jippie.gif

I wish that solved my weight problems but I want to loose another 10 st. I just wish I had found the LCHF diet years ago as it would have saved me sooooo many years of YoYo dieting. The difference this time is that I actually like what I am eating and using my meter reassures me that I am on the right track.

I try to walk as much as possible every day but in addition to that I have tried several exercise type DVDs. The one I have found the most useful is Rosemary Conley's Ultimate Whole Body Workout which has 3 programmes including one which is a chair workout that I use on days when my balance is a tad wobbly.

Hi catza, well done for losing 4 stone! That's loads!!

I notice that as well as us both having lots more weight to lose, we're both on the same dose of Metformin. I'm glad that you're finding low carbing works so well - I'd be interested to know what kind of food you're eating. I tend to have yoghurt and a few berries for breakfast, or a two-egg omelette, and then meat, fish, cheese or pulses with salad or veg for lunch and dinner. I do sometimes have a little carbs like a few spoonfuls of rice or a small portion of noodles, but most days I go without. Sometimes I must admit though that I miss sweetness and also the texture of carbs.

Hope your weight loss continues to go well - it'd be great to hear how you're getting on.

apple :)

D

Deleted member 43917

lucylocket61 said:
Me too :wave:

I have lost 2 stones since November, but only low-carbing sice March. So to me your 1 stone since April is a fantastic achievement - Well done :clap:

I have to literally halve my weight. I was 19 stones 3 lbs in November, and I am only 5' 2" tall.

Some of us are on MyFitnessPal and encourage each other on there.

Two stones is great! I have to get down to 11 stone or so if I can - but its years since I weighed that. To be honest I'm just setting my sights on getting down to 19 stone at the moment and keeping that stable for a while. Thanks for mentioning MyFitnessPal - I shall take a peek.

Take care :)

D

Deleted member 43917

purplekat said:
Me too (well, I've lost a bit since diagnosis, but it's still almost 100lbs to go). Like Lucylocket, I've got to practically half my weight :(

I haven't tried myfitnesspal yet, maybe I should have a look. Apple 123, you don't say where in the UK you are based - if you are in the Strathclyde area, PM me - we can maybe try and motivate each other to go for walks etc :)

hi purplekat, I can relate - originally I was 22stone at my highest - and I should be 11 stone or less. I'm based in West Sussex so a bit far to go for a walk together (!) but anytime you want to chat do post again or PM me and maybe we can encourage each other.

Take care,

apple :)

D

Deleted member 43917

BeccaJaneStClair said:
When I was diagnosed in March, I was 16.5 stone and just under 5 foot. Now I'm 15 stone, 9lb. My "ideal weight" is supposed to be only 8 stone, but my goal is to at least get down to 12.

hi Rebecca, well done for making progress on the weight loss!! I have been overweight for a very long time, so for now, I just want to get down another stone and stay there for a while and come to terms with that before tackling more. I do feel better now though having lost some - I don't ache when I stand to wash up now which is a big improvement!

Defren

apple123 said:
lucylocket61 said:
Me too :wave:

I have lost 2 stones since November, but only low-carbing sice March. So to me your 1 stone since April is a fantastic achievement - Well done :clap:

I have to literally halve my weight. I was 19 stones 3 lbs in November, and I am only 5' 2" tall.

Some of us are on MyFitnessPal and encourage each other on there.

Two stones is great! I have to get down to 11 stone or so if I can - but its years since I weighed that. To be honest I'm just setting my sights on getting down to 19 stone at the moment and keeping that stable for a while. Thanks for mentioning MyFitnessPal - I shall take a peek.

Take care :)

My fitness pal really is good. It gives you all the nutritional information about your food, and as Lucy says we encourage each other. It's a good place to be just for the individual aspects, but put together it's a great resource.

D

Deleted member 43917

Just recently bought a size 24 skirt - used to be a size 28 in April! Feeling much more comfortable at this size as I am able to walk better and clothes fit much more nicely. Still low carbing and waiting to see how much slimmer I can get. Went a bit crazy with some whipped cream and blueberries the other day - my weight is about 19 stones now so have lost about three stones.

angua

Me too Apple, hopefully with my low carbing I'm on a path to releasing :roll: 126 of those pesky pounds good luck to you xx

Gilly

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your weight loss, you are doing really well. I lost weight for about 8 months with LCHF diet only , and then one day, to my surprise, I felt like going for a walk! I've been enjoying walking ever since, and do about an hour a day now. So hang in there, and don't get too hung up about the exercise, it might just happen when you're ready.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
On diagnosis in April 2010 I weighed 298lbs - over 21 stone :shock:

26 months later I weigh 236lb (16st 12lbs) - a loss of 62lbs. My BMI has dropped 10 points.

I would like to weigh 12 stone - 168lbs. Only another 68lbs to go :roll: 4st 12lb to lose sounds a lot better than 10st!

I've been dieting since I was 15 - 47 years ago - and all I managed to do in that time was double my weight! I finally found Atkins; the diet I use is in the 'Sticky Thread' section - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. It doesn't suit everybody, but it works for me.

I can now do very little exercise, but I do garden, I do some armchair exercises, and I sometimes do housework ( :lol: ). When I can afford it I have a month at the gym, where I can only use the exercise bike. Exercise definitely helps, it's very good for your body and your blood pressure etc, but you can lose weight if you're not able to do very much.

I've just had a long plateau which I put down to regular drinking - red wine only! Now I've stopped that the weight loss has restarted.

Since diagnosis my HbA1C has come down from 6.5 to 5.2, and I'm never outside NICE guidelines for Type 2 blood glucose. In fact I'm hardly ever over 6 mmol/l, these days. :D

Onwards and downwards!

Viv 8)

edited once to clarify

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In 2000 I was at my very highest. I was over 21 stones. I went on a diet and lost quite a bit. In 2009 I started byetta and I was quite strict with my food.not knowingly I was doing a low carb diet. I lost nearly 40 pounds in a year. Alas I put back 30 of them :-(
Now I can't shift any or stick to low carb for more than two days......ideally I should be about 175 so that is 80 pounds to lose :-(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Best of luck. i wish you both success. When you've done it, tell me the secret. I've been struggling for years and having lost over 3 stones, I could do with another 2 off. Difficult at my age. i haven't done the sums in pounds
Hana

D

Deleted member 43917

viviennem said:
On diagnosis in April 2010 I weighed 298lbs - over 21 stone :shock:

26 months later I weigh 236lb (16st 12lbs) - a loss of 62lbs. My BMI has dropped 10 points.

I would like to weigh 12 stone - 168lbs. Only another 68lbs to go :roll: 4st 12lb sounds a lot better than 10st!

I've been dieting since I was 15 - 47 years ago - and all I managed to do in that time was double my weight! I finally found Atkins; the diet I use is in the 'Sticky Thread' section - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. It doesn't suit everybody, but it works for me.

I can now do very little exercise, but I do garden, I do some armchair exercises, and I sometimes do housework ( :lol: ). When I can afford it I have a month at the gym, where I can only use the exercise bike. Exercise definitely helps, it's very good for your body and your blood pressure etc, but you can lose weight if you're not able to do very much.

I've just had a long plateau which I put down to regular drinking - red wine only! Now I've stopped that the weight loss has restarted.

Since diagnosis my HbA1C has come down from 6.5 to 5.2, and I'm never outside NICE guidelines

It's great that you've got your weight down so much and your blood sugar levels too! I shall have another look at Viv's modified Atkins diet - the thing is that I would like to eat more vegetarian dishes and a lot of Atkins meals seem to be meat based. It's good that your weight loss has restarted - I feel so much better carrying less weight, but today I got all achey again and I know that a lot more needs to come off. Hope to hear more about how you're progressing.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Rose Elloitt has written a book about low-carb for vegetarians. Have a look on Amazon.

It's possible to do Atkins Induction if you eat eggs and fish, but if must get very boring. Easier if you go up to about 50g carb daily, rather than the 25g for Induction, if you want to eat partly vegetarian. You should still lose weight :D

Viv 8)

Ashleigh

apple123 said:
Well, just to update. I now weigh 20 stone - (one stone weight loss with low carbing) - but I seem to have got stuck at this point which is rather frustrating. I think its probably because I'm so inactive and I'm still on a psych drug (although i'm weaning myself off) plus there's the diabetes to contend with. I'm having trouble coming to terms with the fact that I need to embrace exercise. I can't afford gym membership and I don't have a partner to go out with and often feel self-conscious going out by myself and find it hard to get motivated. Words of experience or encouragement are welcome!

Hi :)

I've never been one for exercise until recently, I saw photos of myself from christmas/new years eve, got on the scales :shock: and decided that it was all change from 1st january. I have a dog so decided to look at what i could do with her & cheaply and came across the couch to 5k (c25k) plan.

A lot of people probably say this, but if i could do it, anyone can. Its a running plan, but you download podcasts and do them at your own pace. you go as fast as you are able, starting off with walking if necessary and you move up a section as and when you are ready.

I completed it, and was going to move on to the bridge to 10k plan but we had a bereavement in the family and that sent me off course for a while. I have just got back on track last week, and started the bridge to 10k, but think due to the time off in between, i need to go back on the c25k for a while to get back up to speed.

If you are worried about people seeing you outside, maybe look at getting a treadmill, I got one for use in really bad weather, from the local paper, for £15 :)

Or you could try taking a friends dog for a walk, i felt really self conscious at first, and having my dog with me made so much difference. Although i do still wait for it to get dark before I go. I actually went running in the daytime for the first time on sunday morning!

Another idea to make you motivated to go could be to sign up to a volunteer programme where you walk elderly or sick people's dogs for them, that way you HAVE to go out the front door as they are relying on you. There's a charity called the cinnamon trust that does stuff like that. http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/

I hope you find an exercise that is right for you and good luck with the weight loss :)

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apple

I too find it difficult to go walking outside because i am self consious and i have been to gyms before and i did enjoy the time there but all the time i was feeling more bad about myself looking at size 6 girls on the equipment next to me.

I was lucky to have been given a Wii for Christmas and Wii Fit so i started doing that in my living room with noone there....about a month ago i bought the Zumba Fitness 2 and i LOVE it!!!!! i mean i will have to be on my own to do it but hey if i am who cares how i look.....i am truly enjoying it and i am sticking to it and it burns sooooo many calories

take care
claudette x

Sever

I too have to loose half my body fat its a long journey ahead but im already loosing lbs and seeing that when i weigh myself is a proud moment and will keep me going good luck everyone!

rtee

I shouldn't really be here cos I don't have SO much to lose but just want to encourage you all and ask a silly question!
I did get up to 19.5 st at my heaviest. Lost 2 st. over several yrs then was 17.5 for yrs.
After diagnosis a yr ago I lost another stone (16.5 )then stuck at that or just under
I found this site about 2months ago and decided to low carb combined with some shakes.
This morning I weighed in at 14st 11lbs :D I'd like to get down to 12st.
You can do it too. Keep going.

I'm nearly 65 and I've started going to the gym! Also I do aquaerobics which is really great as the water supports your joints AND your body is under water most of the time and only you can feel it wobbling :lol:

Silly question: How do I get a 'count down strip' for the bottom of my posts? (showing my age now, not so IT savvy!)