1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are we reurning to 'normal' too quickly.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by DavidGrahamJones, Jun 20, 2020.

1. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I think the whole of England has started whistling in the dark.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep.
    I also find it strange how press and media are no longer reporting on situation in Spain and Italy as they come out of lockdown too.
    For a while our gaze was outward now we are back to being insular and inward looking

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Presumably because new cases there aren't growing so it doesn't support the "second wave" narrative?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Daily deaths in Spain appear to be single digit

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Similar (not quite single digit but getting there) story in Italy.

Edit to add what I found amazing was that Prof Ferguson was being interviewed on the BBC this morning.. how can a completely discredited scientist still be spouting his opinion on the national media?

4. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Well Dominic Mckenzie Cummings is still running the country at least Prof Ferguson had the decency to resign.

And as to whether or not the second wave is just an unsupported theory we will not have too long to wait to find out.

Edit to add As far as I know Prof Ferguson's credentials as a scientist have in no way been called into question.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #144 JohnEGreen, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you, it makes it a little more clear.
    I’m finding it just a tad disturbing to see that the results of pillar 2 have been withheld, even from local authorities, until it’s absolutely necessary that the information’s released.
    I also see on today’s news that there are a few other areas where the figures are worrying and could lead to more local lockdowns.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

It really helps that we have the UKs very own 'Rasputin' pulling all the strings of government like some multi-armed Indian deity! :)
    D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. lindisfel

I dont know why these sceptics praise Sweden, they are killing their old people by refusing them oxygen when they have Covid19.
    D.

8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Do you have a reputable link please?

9. lindisfel

John Campbell interviewed a doctor from Sweden recently on youtube. The doctor also said how the Swedes are laughing at people wearing face masks.
    Just google Dr Tallinger reports from Sweden.
    D.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fairygodmother

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

This is a recent video by Dr John Campbell discussing the Swedish Covid 'experiment'
    His disgust at the number of deaths, and the treatment of the elderly is plain.
    In fact, he comes very close to saying that the denial of oxygen, and the dispensing of a cocktail of 'end of life' drugs (which suppress the breathing, to allow a comfortable exit) is tantamount to euthanasia, on a large scale.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. lindisfel

Hi John,
    Hope you all stay well.
    All we can do is our best to protect ourselves, families and friends.
    I just hope people on here see the big picture and are not induced to take risks due to naysayers.
    Best wishes
    Derek

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Fairygodmother

Interesting @Brunneria. And he’s referring to the bmj article I posted above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree that both Sweden and the UK have got it wrong when it came to their elderly. We 'saved' the NHS by shipping them out into the care sector, then rolled out DNR notices without proper consent being given and failed to allow doctors to visit homes. Then there are the deaths that have occurred not from Covid but from under treatment of other conditions.
    Although he presents calmly and confidently he is a academic nursing lecturer hence his knowledge on the appropriateness or not of administering palliative cocktails or not administering oxygen in a care home setting. Surely it is a leap to say this was deliberate rather than simple incompetency?
    I don't think the jury can be out on Sweden just yet despite his attempted take down which I found unbalanced compared to other more qualified commentators who don't cherry pick their data to prove the point that he wants to prove - that if we don't all close down we are sacrificing elderly lives.
    Also why show the picture of US crowds partying? You could equally show BLM marches or beach goers but perhaps that would not support his argument .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

I prefer actual information (and there is plenty of it in the video) rather than getting bogged down with criticising a 30 sec photo segment at the beginning of the video, or attempting undermine the presenter with accusations of bias. Fortunately, John Campbell's reputation is solid enough that your comments will make little impact.

One of the things I like about him is that he never forgets that each death is a suffering human being, leaving loved ones behind. I suppose that comes from a career spent treating people and training people in the situations that he speaks about with such experience.

So many people, even here, seem to think 1000s of deaths have no more significance than a number on a screen.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Can't speak for other care homes but the one my mother is in with dementia was very thorough in the way it dealt with the lockdown. We were informed very early on that GP's would no longer be visiting unless a matter of urgency because the GP's themselves knew that they would be potential carriers. We were also asked to complete an Advanced Care Plan with our wishes for mum if Covid got into the home. Fortunately mum years ago had done a Power of Attorney and her wishes with regard to illness and health are clear to see.

As for Dr John I think Brunneria just about covers it!! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

18. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Not rocket science sadly. Boris is doing an impression right now of the Amity Island Mayor in Jaws (in fact he said the character was a hero of his a few years back!) and according to BoJo it's safe to go back in the water even though there is a man eating Great White still swimming around!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

The r rate has been the same for weeks. I can only conclude that decisions being made by the government now are based on the economy, not health.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If R is less than 1 the virus will eventually go away, R doesn't have to keep decreasing, although if it does the virus will go away more quickly. Even if you are braking very gently, as long as you are not accelerating your car will eventually stop. Also the R number becomes pretty meaningless when there are only a few cases.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook