Cake Recipes

Dan :)

Hi I want to make a cake for my mum who has type 2 diabetes for mothers day which is next Sunday but I don't know how to make one that she would be able to eat as obviously she can't have things with loads of sugar or carbs. So I would be really happy if people gave some suggestions as to what I could make for her or if its another really nice thing that you can eat like cookies or something that she would be able to eat.

Dan :)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you google ‘keto’ and whatever type of cake you enjoy, you will find lots of recipes. Most use almond flour, possibly coconut flour and some sort of diabetes-friendly sweetener (erithrytol/stevia blends are good) so you might want to take a look sooner rather than later in case you need to order those things online.

Reactions: Dan :)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazon has the almond flour and sweeteners - good luck!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a good one, using the option which is all almond flour rather than a mix of almond and ‘normal’ flour. Just replace the sugar with a sweetener of your choice - erythritol is a good one and less sweet than sugar (I use a 1:1 exchange and find that works) or xylitol (more widely available but poisonous to dogs/pets) which is the same sweetness as sugar.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

By the way, no need to buy expensive almond flour. Ground almonds, available cheaply in supermarkets, do the same job at a much lower cost.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Gosh where shall I start!? There are lots of keto cake recipes as TeddyTotty says. However you can transform most ‘normal’ cake recipes to diabetic friendly. If using almond flour, REDUCE amount of butter in the recipe by 25% and amount of flour by 10%. Use the same amount of erythritol as the recipe gives for sugar. Don’t forget to add about 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder if the original recipe used self raising flour. I’ve learned this the hard way! Or rather the very soft, flat squidgy way! I’ve made lots of cakes this way. Rachel Allen’s ginger cake and Raspberry Bakewell cake from her Cake book work very well translated this way.
Cheers.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dan :) Hello and welcome. @ewelina has posted a link for you . The very first low carb cake I made is ewelina’s Ricotta cake. My family and I thought this was delicious! So thank you Dan for asking the question and thank you to Ewelina for sharing her recipes. :)

Reactions: Speedbird