1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cake Recipes

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Dan :), Mar 3, 2021.

1. Dan :)

Dan :) · Newbie

Hi I want to make a cake for my mum who has type 2 diabetes for mothers day which is next Sunday but I don't know how to make one that she would be able to eat as obviously she can't have things with loads of sugar or carbs. So I would be really happy if people gave some suggestions as to what I could make for her or if its another really nice thing that you can eat like cookies or something that she would be able to eat.

Dan :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you google ‘keto’ and whatever type of cake you enjoy, you will find lots of recipes. Most use almond flour, possibly coconut flour and some sort of diabetes-friendly sweetener (erithrytol/stevia blends are good) so you might want to take a look sooner rather than later in case you need to order those things online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Amazon has the almond flour and sweeteners - good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

6. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

This is a good one, using the option which is all almond flour rather than a mix of almond and ‘normal’ flour. Just replace the sugar with a sweetener of your choice - erythritol is a good one and less sweet than sugar (I use a 1:1 exchange and find that works) or xylitol (more widely available but poisonous to dogs/pets) which is the same sweetness as sugar.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake

By the way, no need to buy expensive almond flour. Ground almonds, available cheaply in supermarkets, do the same job at a much lower cost.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChristieM

ChristieM Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Gosh where shall I start!? There are lots of keto cake recipes as TeddyTotty says. However you can transform most ‘normal’ cake recipes to diabetic friendly. If using almond flour, REDUCE amount of butter in the recipe by 25% and amount of flour by 10%. Use the same amount of erythritol as the recipe gives for sugar. Don’t forget to add about 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder if the original recipe used self raising flour. I’ve learned this the hard way! Or rather the very soft, flat squidgy way! I’ve made lots of cakes this way. Rachel Allen’s ginger cake and Raspberry Bakewell cake from her Cake book work very well translated this way.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. PerfectStorm

PerfectStorm Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Dan :)

Dan :) · Newbie

Thanks for all your suggestions! :D

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@Dan :) Hello and welcome. @ewelina has posted a link for you . The very first low carb cake I made is ewelina’s Ricotta cake. My family and I thought this was delicious! So thank you Dan for asking the question and thank you to Ewelina for sharing her recipes. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook