Carbs

fuseman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I've been a type 2 for around 12 years during that time my BG has been very erratic and in my opinion never very well controlled, I'm always getting an earful every time I go for my fasting blood test results mainly around my diet (I do point out that no one has ever sat down with me and told me what I should or should not eat, I do a lot of research on the net but this can be very confusing and contradicting) Anyway a few weeks ago I noticed I was getting irritation and pins and needles in my hands and fingers this came to an head whilst on holiday, I jumped in to the swimming pool to be met by the most horrendous pain in my hands I had ever felt, it brought tears to my eyes. I convinced myself I had Carpal Tunnel, I have a manual heavy job which can put a lot of pressure on my wrists. I made an appointment to see my doctor for when I got back off holiday, he gave me some anti-inflammatory tablets and told me to come back in two weeks if not any better, he also reminded me my 6 monthly blood tests were due. Two weeks later and having had my blood test the tingling and slight pain were still evident in both my hands so I made another appointment, my doctor as normal was more interested in my blood results than what I had actually made the appointment for, he then said my blood sugar was not controlling well and my HbA1C was 7.8 (I think that's what he converted it to on his wall chart and that this bad control was the result of the pain in my hands, "Neuropathy"). I take the following medication for my diabetes and have done for a number of years, Metformin 50mg 4 times a day, Gliclazide 80mg 4 times a day, after this visit he introduced me to a new tablet and prescribed Linagliptin 5mg once a day. I now test my blood each morning when I first get up even though the doctor won't give me any test strips but I feel it important to test to see what is going on (at great expense) over the last week my readings are still hitting 8.8 average lowest in the last week was 5.8, today it was 7.2. I'm now thinking that I need to cut my carb intake to see if this brings it down but I'm struggling to find anything that indicates what an ideal amount of carbs per day, would be anyone have a suggestion? I don't want to lose weight so I understand it will be a little bit of trial and error but a number for a starting point would be good. my statistics are, Male, age 61, height 5' 6" weight 12 stone.
The doctor gave me no medication to help with the irritation or pain in my hands (which is preventing me sleeping, I'm getting up for work just as tired as I went to bed) he just told me to go back in 6 weeks for the nurse to repeat the blood tests to see if my HbA1C is any lower.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would suggest that you get yourself a blood glucose (bg) monitor and start testing your own bg levels before you eat and then again 2 hours after you have eaten.

This will show you how your meal has affected your blood sugars, then when you next eat the same meal cut back the carbs and test again and keep doing this until you find that after 2 hours your bg is returning to your pre meal level, it should be no more than 2 mmol/L higher after a meal and many well controlled diabetics aim for even lower, but small steps :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm now thinking that I need to cut my carb intake to see if this brings it down but I'm struggling to find anything that indicates what an ideal amount of carbs per day, would be anyone have a suggestion?

As few as possible.

That isn't meant to be flippant, but I don't think setting a target is the best way to achieve your goal.

Start by cutting out as many of the unnecessary Carbs from your normal diet, all bread, potato, ice, pasta etc etc. as you can.

Try to get Carbs only from Veggies and Salad, and a small amount from Dairy and see where that gets you.

My advice always is to start by removing Carbs, and then when your BG's are under better control you can start adding a few back alongside frequent testing.

Reactions: sagan07

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I've been a type 2 for around 12 years during that time my BG has been very erratic and in my opinion never very well controlled, I'm always getting an earful every time I go for my fasting blood test results mainly around my diet (I do point out that no one has ever sat down with me and told me what I should or should not eat, I do a lot of research on the net but this can be very confusing and contradicting) Anyway a few weeks ago I noticed I was getting irritation and pins and needles in my hands and fingers this came to an head whilst on holiday, I jumped in to the swimming pool to be met by the most horrendous pain in my hands I had ever felt, it brought tears to my eyes. I convinced myself I had Carpal Tunnel, I have a manual heavy job which can put a lot of pressure on my wrists. I made an appointment to see my doctor for when I got back off holiday, he gave me some anti-inflammatory tablets and told me to come back in two weeks if not any better, he also reminded me my 6 monthly blood tests were due. Two weeks later and having had my blood test the tingling and slight pain were still evident in both my hands so I made another appointment, my doctor as normal was more interested in my blood results than what I had actually made the appointment for, he then said my blood sugar was not controlling well and my HbA1C was 7.8 (I think that's what he converted it to on his wall chart and that this bad control was the result of the pain in my hands, "Neuropathy"). I take the following medication for my diabetes and have done for a number of years, Metformin 50mg 4 times a day, Gliclazide 80mg 4 times a day, after this visit he introduced me to a new tablet and prescribed Linagliptin 5mg once a day. I now test my blood each morning when I first get up even though the doctor won't give me any test strips but I feel it important to test to see what is going on (at great expense) over the last week my readings are still hitting 8.8 average lowest in the last week was 5.8, today it was 7.2. I'm now thinking that I need to cut my carb intake to see if this brings it down but I'm struggling to find anything that indicates what an ideal amount of carbs per day, would be anyone have a suggestion? I don't want to lose weight so I understand it will be a little bit of trial and error but a number for a starting point would be good. my statistics are, Male, age 61, height 5' 6" weight 12 stone.
The doctor gave me no medication to help with the irritation or pain in my hands (which is preventing me sleeping, I'm getting up for work just as tired as I went to bed) he just told me to go back in 6 weeks for the nurse to repeat the blood tests to see if my HbA1C is any lower.

If you are like me, 61, 5' 6" and under 12 stone. Then maybe a weight reduction is probably good for you.
You have not got the necessary information to get your blood glucose levels down.
You probably have high insulin resistance, so anything carby or sugary will rocket your blood glucose levels.
You're doctor has resorted to meds to bring them down, your diet should be helping the meds do their work.
First steps, reduce your carbs, reduce your plate size, increase your exercise, walking a little more will always help.
Educate yourself by reading first, the success stories thread on that forum.
Read the low carb forum, there is some great ideas and recipes on there.
If you want a question answered, ask away.

If you take it seriously, you can control the condition and your neuropathy will diminish.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition

As mentioned somewhere else on this forum Alpha Lipoic Acid can be used to reduce/ remove the tingling. I use it for other reasons and take 2 x 300mg per day. it does work!

Reactions: azure

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi
I am low carbing and my 12 year diabetes went from Hba 71 to 51 in 3 months. I cut all carbs from the obvious sources like rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, cereal. It takes some getting your head round but there are alternatives and after a few headaches in the first week and feeling rubbish you will adapt and feel great. Use the low carb forum for what to eat and advice. Increase your fat so you will feel full but not lose weight. I eat delicious food like mackerel pate, cheese, chorizo, double cream, berries, coupe squares dark chocolate, sugar free ice cream, eggs are your new friends for breakfast, there is a bread in waitrose called livlife that is 3.8 Carbs per slice which I am about to try but for 5 months I have done without more or less. There are triangle rolls in Lidl that are high protein and about 10.8g carbs which I have in freezer for occasional bacon butty! I make crackers out of milled flaxseeds to have with cheeses, peanut butter etc. I eat lots of veg but limit carrots, parsnips, swede etc. Go for broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, Mediterranean veg, lots of butter, and salads with virgin olive oil and vinegar. Protein try 3/4 oz max per portion. So half an average sirloin steak, but you can have with mushrooms and onion fried with cream and mustard and splash brandy mmm ..... You can have couple glasses red wine with no effect on blood sugar. Good luck.