Chinese takeaway blow-out -NOT good !

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been over to the in-laws this evening to have a Chinese takeaway for Mother’s Day, father in-laws and my birthday. I have been on a keto diet since end of November last year when I found out I was pre-diabetic and have lost 2 stone and got my BMI to 22.5. Decided to have a bit of a blow-out and had ribs in BBQ sauce with chips (first potato I have eaten since going keto). I forgot to take my BG meter with me but as a rule my BG is normally anything between 5.2 and 5.8 before my evening meal. I took my BG when I got home which was just over 2 hours from eating and BG was 9.1, a further 30 mins after that and it was 10.2. These are the highest readings I have had and it has scared me a bit. I am now thinking that even though I have lost weight and visceral fat it hasn’t really made any difference and I am maybe more diabetic than pre-diabetic?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been over to the in-laws this evening to have a Chinese takeaway for Mother’s Day, father in-laws and my birthday. I have been on a keto diet since end of November last year when I found out I was pre-diabetic and have lost 2 stone and got my BMI to 22.5. Decided to have a bit of a blow-out and had ribs in BBQ sauce with chips (first potato I have eaten since going keto). I forgot to take my BG meter with me but as a rule my BG is normally anything between 5.2 and 5.8 before my evening meal. I took my BG when I got home which was just over 2 hours from eating and BG was 9.1, a further 30 mins after that and it was 10.2. These are the highest readings I have had and it has scared me a bit. I am now thinking that even though I have lost weight and visceral fat it hasn’t really made any difference and I am maybe more diabetic than pre-diabetic?
Even non-diabetics can spike into the double digits when having something carb-heavy, like Chinese take-out or cake, so this really doesn't mean anything other than, you've been making excellent food choices lately, and a carby one-off isn't going to kill you. Being thoroughly diabetic myself, I can say, however, my numbers would've been decidedly higher than a mere ten-something. ;) Breathe, you're doing fine, and this isn't going to happen every week. Live & learn, basically.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might not work for you @Helen H , but.....

If carbs were radioactive & that causes damage as we accumulate the dosage, we'd pay more attention around things that were radioactive, right.

Simply avoiding more than you did before becoming pre diabetic is a good thing, doing what you're doing is a great thing .

You could be delaying, if not even (please God) avoiding a full T2D diagnosis for years maybe decades.

Every little bit helps, so you are doing great.

As for a blow out now & again...I think we'd be less human if we didn't want to rebel & shout NO, once in a while.

*Chip butty, that first Xmas after 2 months of lchf success .

Delicious, but horrendously high BG.

Lesson learned, moved on

@JoKalsbeek has this spot on.

Try something,
learn from it,
live with that knowledge,
move on,
Repeat with the next experience life throws at us.

We've been doing it since we left the womb, it's how most of us roll.

You're doing fine.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do the same thing next year - assuming you continue to eat low carb, you should see lower numbers after a similar meal - and long may you continue to do so.
I am sure that our metabolisms can and do recover if allowed to be unstressed day by day - so the occasional return to something higher in carbs is not a disaster.
I am over 7 years from diagnosis now and I know that I can eat higher carb meals - I do so a few times a year, as I don't want to lose all the improvements I have seen in that time, plus it would be a weary dreary drag to head back into higher weight, higher BG higher HbA1c - so I'm not going to over do it.

• Winner
Reactions: Helen H and jjraak

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even non-diabetics can spike into the double digits when having something carb-heavy, like Chinese take-out or cake, so this really doesn't mean anything other than, you've been making excellent food choices lately, and a carby one-off isn't going to kill you. Being thoroughly diabetic myself, I can say, however, my numbers would've been decidedly higher than a mere ten-something. ;) Breathe, you're doing fine, and this isn't going to happen every week. Live & learn, basically.
That is reassuring to know that sometimes non-diabetics can spike into double digits, I think I just panicked a little bit. You always talk such common sense, I think I need to be more like you

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Might not work for you @Helen H , but.....

If carbs were radioactive & that causes damage as we accumulate the dosage, we'd pay more attention around things that were radioactive, right.

Simply avoiding more than you did before becoming pre diabetic is a good thing, doing what you're doing is a great thing .

You could be delaying, if not even (please God) avoiding a full T2D diagnosis for years maybe decades.

Every little bit helps, so you are doing great.

As for a blow out now & again...I think we'd be less human if we didn't want to rebel & shout NO, once in a while.

*Chip butty, that first Xmas after 2 months of lchf success .

Delicious, but horrendously high BG.

Lesson learned, moved on

@JoKalsbeek has this spot on.

Try something,
learn from it,
live with that knowledge,
move on,
Repeat with the next experience life throws at us.

We've been doing it since we left the womb, it's how most of us roll.

You're doing fine.
I love the “radioactive” analogy - it is so true. I am hoping to ward off a type 2 diagnosis for as long as I can (although I think I will eventually end up there as I have hypothyroidism as well and have read that this also can lead to T2 as the thyroid hormones also play some part in blood glucose levels - I stand to be corrected on that).

I have enjoyed the lchf way of eating and do not find it hard but every now and then it would be nice to have something naughty - ie fish and chips sat on harbour wall when on holiday - as you say we are still human.

I will keep monitoring and IF I do have those fish and chips on holiday I will try not to panic if my levels go into double figures. Blow outs like that would only be 2-3 times a year if that so hopefully no long term damage.

Thanks for your support.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do the same thing next year - assuming you continue to eat low carb, you should see lower numbers after a similar meal - and long may you continue to do so.
I am sure that our metabolisms can and do recover if allowed to be unstressed day by day - so the occasional return to something higher in carbs is not a disaster.
I am over 7 years from diagnosis now and I know that I can eat higher carb meals - I do so a few times a year, as I don't want to lose all the improvements I have seen in that time, plus it would be a weary dreary drag to head back into higher weight, higher BG higher HbA1c - so I'm not going to over do it.
It would be great to think that our metabolism can improve and maybe I will repeat the same meal in a years time for comparison . I am straight back onto the lchf/keto eating today and happy to report BG back into the 5’s. i will continue to monitor and maybe have a very occasional higher carb meal and see what results I get.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think almost anyone, diabetic or non-diabetic, would expect those sorts of figures from that sort of meal. You've learnt something. The other thing is that you can get straight back on the horse and carry on as you were.