urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Reactions: Speedbird
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

News
BBC News

Coronavirus cases in UK pass 200
  • 20 minutes ago
Related Topics
_111152731_coronavirus_stock_option_1_getty.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK has reached 206 - a rise of 43 since figures were released on Friday.

As of Saturday morning, 21,460 had been tested for the virus, the Department of Health and Social Care said.

It comes as England's deputy chief medical officer said the UK remained in the outbreak's "containment" phase.

Jenny Harries told the BBC a decision about the next phase of delaying the spread of the virus would depend on how fast the number of cases rose.

But she said the UK was "teetering on the edge" of sustained transmission.

On Friday, a man in his 80s with underlying health conditions became the second person in the UK to die after testing positive for the virus at Milton Keynes Hospital.

On Saturday, the hospital confirmed the patient, who was admitted for a separate issue, had spent two days in a ward before being isolated and tested for coronavirus.

The man, who had been travelling, had at first showed no symptoms of coronavirus, the hospital said.

Prof Joe Harrison, chief executive of the hospital trust, said: "After two days in the hospital they started showing signs of deterioration and at that point we decided to isolate the patient and test them for coronavirus and unfortunately that came back as positive.

"What we were doing was looking after that patient in a bay on one of our wards and subsequent to that we have ensured all of those patients have been followed up, as have the staff, to ensure that they are tested and appropriately isolated.

"We currently have five patients who are isolated and have been tested and we are awaiting results of those to come back and we have asked nine staff to self isolate."

The hospital said it had already carried out a review of the patient's care but determined he had been treated appropriately.

_111165274_cps_web_banner_top_640x3-nc.png

_111165255_cps_web_banner_bottom_640x3-nc.png

The UK's first death - a woman in her 70s who also had underlying health conditions - was confirmed on Thursday. A British man also died last month in Japan after contracting the virus on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

The UK's strategy on responding to the virus has three phases - containment, delay, and mitigation - alongside ongoing research.

Up until now, the containment phase has involved catching cases early and tracing all close contacts to halt the spread of the disease for as long as possible,

Moving into the delay phase could see the introduction of "social distancing" measures, such as closing schools and urging people to work from home.

Dr Harries said a decision on formally moving to the next phase would depend on how quickly the number of cases rises.

"We are, if you like, teetering on the edge, but not there just yet," she said. "We have surveillance systems in place and we're watching that on a daily basis."

_111130303_corona_whatyouneedtodo_title.jpg

The delay phase would focus on trying to prevent cases from rising too sharply, pushing the peak of the epidemic out of the winter period and helping health and social care services manage the flow of patients, she said.

Scientific advisers are due to review the evidence next week on measures such as restricting large gatherings, she said.

Dr Harries said they needed to "balance the benefits" with minimising disruption to people's lives and the economy, as well as ensuring that they are implemented at the time when they will have the most impact.

In other developments:

_111142458_hi060442262.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe Grand Princess, one of the world's largest cruise ships, is being held off the Californian coast
The updated figures come as US authorities prepare to respond to a coronavirus-hit cruise ship carrying British passengers off the Californian coast, after 21 people on board tested positive for the illness.

US Vice-President Mike Pence said on Friday that the Grand Princess, carrying more than 3,500 people on board, including 140 Britons, had been directed to a non-commercial port for testing.

Jackie Bissell, from Dartford in Kent, said passengers have had little information about what would happen to them since a note was pushed through their door two days earlier saying the virus may be on the ship.

"You can't go out. You can just go out in the hall if somebody taps your door. They put your food outside, drop your menus inside and that's about it," the 70-year-old said.

Dr Harries said she has a "great deal of trust" in the US public health system and said the Foreign Office was "extremely active" in looking after UK citizens abroad.

_111175705_optimised-uk_cases_byday_7mar-nc.png

_111175708_map.png

Globally, the number of coronavirus cases has now passed 100,000, with 3,400 deaths.

The government has updated its advice for travellers from Italy - the country in Europe that has been worst-affected by the virus with more than 4,600 cases.

It now says people who develop symptoms after returning from any part of Italy - not just the north of the country - should self-isolate, while those returning from quarantined areas should self-isolate even without symptoms.

The Foreign Office is also warning travellers to Moscow in Russia that they may be told to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival from the UK, as part of measures to control the virus.

It says in a small number of cases, foreign visitors have been placed in enforced quarantine if they have not complied.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
News
BBC News

Coronavirus cases in UK pass 200
  • 20 minutes ago
Related Topics
_111152731_coronavirus_stock_option_1_getty.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES

The number of coronavirus cases in the UK has reached 206 - a rise of 43 since figures were released on Friday.

As of Saturday morning, 21,460 had been tested for the virus, the Department of Health and Social Care said.

It comes as England's deputy chief medical officer said the UK remained in the outbreak's "containment" phase.

Jenny Harries told the BBC a decision about the next phase of delaying the spread of the virus would depend on how fast the number of cases rose.

But she said the UK was "teetering on the edge" of sustained transmission.

On Friday, a man in his 80s with underlying health conditions became the second person in the UK to die after testing positive for the virus at Milton Keynes Hospital.

On Saturday, the hospital confirmed the patient, who was admitted for a separate issue, had spent two days in a ward before being isolated and tested for coronavirus.

The man, who had been travelling, had at first showed no symptoms of coronavirus, the hospital said.

Prof Joe Harrison, chief executive of the hospital trust, said: "After two days in the hospital they started showing signs of deterioration and at that point we decided to isolate the patient and test them for coronavirus and unfortunately that came back as positive.

"What we were doing was looking after that patient in a bay on one of our wards and subsequent to that we have ensured all of those patients have been followed up, as have the staff, to ensure that they are tested and appropriately isolated.

"We currently have five patients who are isolated and have been tested and we are awaiting results of those to come back and we have asked nine staff to self isolate."

The hospital said it had already carried out a review of the patient's care but determined he had been treated appropriately.

_111165274_cps_web_banner_top_640x3-nc.png

_111165255_cps_web_banner_bottom_640x3-nc.png

The UK's first death - a woman in her 70s who also had underlying health conditions - was confirmed on Thursday. A British man also died last month in Japan after contracting the virus on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

The UK's strategy on responding to the virus has three phases - containment, delay, and mitigation - alongside ongoing research.

Up until now, the containment phase has involved catching cases early and tracing all close contacts to halt the spread of the disease for as long as possible,

Moving into the delay phase could see the introduction of "social distancing" measures, such as closing schools and urging people to work from home.

Dr Harries said a decision on formally moving to the next phase would depend on how quickly the number of cases rises.

"We are, if you like, teetering on the edge, but not there just yet," she said. "We have surveillance systems in place and we're watching that on a daily basis."

_111130303_corona_whatyouneedtodo_title.jpg

The delay phase would focus on trying to prevent cases from rising too sharply, pushing the peak of the epidemic out of the winter period and helping health and social care services manage the flow of patients, she said.

Scientific advisers are due to review the evidence next week on measures such as restricting large gatherings, she said.

Dr Harries said they needed to "balance the benefits" with minimising disruption to people's lives and the economy, as well as ensuring that they are implemented at the time when they will have the most impact.

In other developments:

_111142458_hi060442262.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe Grand Princess, one of the world's largest cruise ships, is being held off the Californian coast
The updated figures come as US authorities prepare to respond to a coronavirus-hit cruise ship carrying British passengers off the Californian coast, after 21 people on board tested positive for the illness.

US Vice-President Mike Pence said on Friday that the Grand Princess, carrying more than 3,500 people on board, including 140 Britons, had been directed to a non-commercial port for testing.

Jackie Bissell, from Dartford in Kent, said passengers have had little information about what would happen to them since a note was pushed through their door two days earlier saying the virus may be on the ship.

"You can't go out. You can just go out in the hall if somebody taps your door. They put your food outside, drop your menus inside and that's about it," the 70-year-old said.

Dr Harries said she has a "great deal of trust" in the US public health system and said the Foreign Office was "extremely active" in looking after UK citizens abroad.

_111175705_optimised-uk_cases_byday_7mar-nc.png

_111175708_map.png

Globally, the number of coronavirus cases has now passed 100,000, with 3,400 deaths.

The government has updated its advice for travellers from Italy - the country in Europe that has been worst-affected by the virus with more than 4,600 cases.

It now says people who develop symptoms after returning from any part of Italy - not just the north of the country - should self-isolate, while those returning from quarantined areas should self-isolate even without symptoms.

The Foreign Office is also warning travellers to Moscow in Russia that they may be told to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival from the UK, as part of measures to control the virus.

It says in a small number of cases, foreign visitors have been placed in enforced quarantine if they have not complied.
I also spotted that earlier as you did, now it doesn't seem to be as prominent...mmhh
has the beeb been 'advised'..?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world
mmhh https://news.sky.com/

i would have thought that MIGHT be news worthy, myself

Reactions: Debandez

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
looks like for transparency it's all off to the twitterverse, to wade through the truth and the lies..

Nice own goal .Gov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am struggling to believe the US figures. As they are rarely testing, and (according to my US friend) only 100,000 of the promised 1 million testing kits have materialized so far across the whole country, how does the US even know their figures?

D

Deleted member 308541

The Trump administration, meanwhile, is facing intense scrutiny over its response to the coronavirus outbreak.

President Donald Trump has largely downplayed the severity of the outbreak and placed officials with little to no background in managing public health crises or infectious diseases in charge of spearheading the White House’s response.

On Friday, the president drew sharp backlash when he told reporters that although scientific and medical experts had urged him to bring infected Americans off the cruise ship, he didn’t want to do so because it would cause the number of reported cases to go up and it “wasn’t our fault.”

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo declares a state of emergency and confirms 76 cases of coronavirus in the state

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...cy-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well i guess there is an incentive for the Declartaion of an emergency
funding etc will be hard to get once all the states ask for it, so maybe it's a pecking order.?

However, the Italians OUR neighbours, are now talking about locking down a third of the country Wuhan style
and these guys do NOT paint a pretty picture.

https://twitter.com/RachelDonadio/status/1236430756412567559

Google translation

bear in mind "it's just FLU"..so pretty sure they are panicking over nothing
i mean what could they possibly KNOW that we don't OR aren't being told...

when they write the history of this, i doubt many governments will come out looking anywhere near
fit or worthy of having been in charge at a time of great danger when it's people were in DIRE need of leadership.

we EITHER learn or we simply Follow, where others have gone.

when will we wake up and smell the coffee..?

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a lot to process. I feel like some of the images I've seen will be burned into my mind forever. Many thanks for all the posts today.

lindisfel

Expert
Anyone who has done the maths knows this is not just a normal flu. It serious but we will have to wait and see.

This country is different to some others and its to be hoped its nearer 0.1% if sixty million are affected, but it is still a lot of deaths.
If it was 2%, as someone earlier said, that would be awful.
D.

Reactions: jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, I am a bit concerned that some of the mainstream messaging out there is unhelpful for those who haven't dug a little deeper into the available information.

For example, I was in a supermarket a couple of days ago. I was far from home, so the ladies I overheard were total strangers to me, however one of them said:
"This virus is a real worry. With my chest it's going to be horrible. I'm not looking forward to it."

The tone was one of certainty that she would develop the virus, not that it could be around. I worry that we will have many talking themselves into being unwell - whether or not with COVID-19.

One thing we should all recall is when reading symptoms, the stand-out for me is all diagnosed cases experienced fever, then they may have other symptoms. That isn't to say that the horrible colds, flu and other viruses around in winter aren't a concern, Of course they are, and of course anyone who has experienced "proper" flu, knows just how horrid that is.

However, my point is no fever = no COVID-19. Let's not talk ourselves into hypersensitivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Research the sicknesses that DO cause fever completely divorced from Covid 19.

Of course there are lots of them, and some are, of course, extremely nasty, but bearing in mind how "multi-purpose" some of the COVID-19 symptoms are, it's good to be able to have an early metric to look at.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero desire to develop or be exposed to COVID-19, but I have a life to be getting along with in the meantime.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You made it an absolute with that #336 statement. I did not.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the research to date shows that it is an absolute: No fever means No COVID.
Exclusion - not inclusion.

Cough is initially present in a high percentage and may not be present in early stages.

Fever has been the first symptom and present in all those who subsequently prove positive.
Possible though that without Fever some are not tested.

Now for a panic buy of thermometers. .... or are they all already gone?

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although a fever (pyrexia) could be considered any body temperature above the normal temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (98.6 F or 37 C), medically, a person is not considered to have a significant fever until the temperature is above 100.4 F (38.0 C).
Note that is body temperature.

Scanning the skin surface with an infra red scanner will depend upon surrounding temperature but will typically be a lower value. Scans in airports etc. will be mainly comparative.