Dawn phenomenon & 1st reading of the day

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, looking for some info on first reading of the day and dawn phenomenon. I'm working earlier shifts where I'm getting up at 5am and took a reading this morning which was 6.1 and had similar readings last week in the 6 to 7 range. If I take readings 1-2 hours later they have dropped into the 4s or 5s. Is this OK or should I be looking to get the 5am readings down?

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on achieving a respectable fasting blood glucose [FBG] reading first thing.

I suppose it depends what you're up to between 5.00 am and 7.00 am. Presumably, you have something to eat and drink.
Shift work can play old Harry with BG numbers, but on the face of it, yours look pretty good.

I take it your annual review and HbA1c test is due shortly.

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I'd be happy with those readings.

Timing matters as well

For me, I see an increase in my bg at some point between 6am and 9am. And the exact time and increase varies from one day to the next.

Usually, if I wake up naturally, it's during the increase in bg. If I'm woken by my alarm it can be before the increase.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doesn't it depend on why you are taking the reading?
If you are going to make some change because of it (e.g. testing whether your body can cope with a certain type of food), then the timing is important.
If you are taking the reading to track progress, I would have thought consistency of relative timing (e.g always as soon as you get out of bed) was more important than actual time.