Defatizing with Herbalife by Kenny

pixor

Re: DAY 6

Kenny said:
Last night was horrendous. Went to bed at midnight, woke at 2am with aches all over and couldn't get back to sleep. Eventually got up and made myself a cocoa with milk.

I'd try and swap milk for unsweetened soy milk, if you can. Soy milk has a quarter the carbs of cow's milk. Just make sure it's unsweetened, as the normal/sweetened is actually worse than milk for carbs.

pixor

I've just read through your thread here, Kenny, and I am cheering you on!

I'm trying something similar, and after a few weeks of being strict, I've had friends to stay and fallen off the wagon myself. I intend to get right back on though. Tomorrow is another day, and all that.

The main thing I wanted to say is congratulations for taking control of your diabetes. I've been unimpressed with the help I've had from the NHS (and often contrary advice), and it's only since I've researched this condition myself, and made my own decisions of how to manage it, that I've felt positive about the future.

Good luck to you.

P.S. I've even got a South Park-ised avatar to join the club ;)

Kenny

OK. I'm back on the wagon. Starting today. I had lost 5Kg before and put 3Kg back on. The main reason I fell off was because my wife and daughter came back from holiday. I had to ferry her to all her favorite Korean restaurants as she had to endure six weeks in Europe eating Western food. I told her yesterday I'm done! No more restaurants for me! It's yummy shakes and broccoli soup from now on.

Interestingly, my skin condition has continued to be very good. I reckon the work I did before shifted a lot of fat from the liver and improved liver function. So already a permanent health improvement after dieting for only 10 days.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Kenny - I agree on the skin thing. My areas of dry skin are sorting themselves out nicely.

Glad to hear your going back at it!

minitata

I bet it was worth the weight gain to have your wife and daughter back with you. Well done for getting back to it.

MTT

Kenny

DAY 1

OK. I'm starting again from 'day 1' lol. I had a tolerable herbalife shake this morning, a couple of mushrooms with a couple of olives for lunch, and I'm not having a shake this evening coz my wife fed me a few pieces of 'samgyeopsal'... fried pork. I know it's cheating, but I'm putting my foot down tomorrow. It's lovely to have my wife back and we've had some nice meals, but now it's time for the serious business of saving my feet. I'll check my fasting BG on the morning of day 8. Looking for something below 6! Patch is blowing me away right now.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
coz my wife fed me a few pieces of 'samgyeopsal'... fried pork

I reckon Shes fattening you up :!: So you cant run off , :shock:
,Mine tried that ,,it worked im still here :lol:

Keep it going Kenny I was thinking you went missing in action or Mac-y-Dees :D

Bob

Kenny

It was the day before my wife came back. I thought 'I'd better break the diet' and I bought a big mac. No drink, no fries, just the Big Mac. I unwrapped it and buried my nose in it to revel in the sweet aroma. It went down so smoothly...

Enough! [slaps own face] Onwards and upwards! Or in the case of my BS, downwards!

Kenny

DAY 2

Had two herbalife shakes which I made much more palatable by mixing in some cocoa powder. Fortunately I have 2 kilograms of cocoa powder, so I've got enough to last! Afternoon had broccoli soup and a thin slice of Gouda cheese with a mushroom and some yellow bell pepper.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Hi Kenny
Just so that you know, Dr Bernstein reccomends avoiding yellow bell peppers though green and red are OK. He must have found they have a higher BGs response? Never tested them personally as for me he is just about right on everything else.
Go the green and red!
I like that you have re-focussed. Go Kenny, ignore the temptations with renewed focus.

Kenny

Wife went shopping today. She called me on the cellphone and asked if I wanted some peppers. I told her 'yes, but not yellow ones'! So thanks for the tip.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Peppers, according to my carb & cal bible 2009, cant afford a new one ever year :lol: raw peppers are as follows:

Capsicum Green raw.........2.6g carb per 100g
Capsicum Red raw...........6.4g carb per 100g
Capsicum Yellow raw........5.3g carb per 100g

So it seems that green peppers are the lowest in carbs and red not yellow are the highest, just one of the reasons I take Bernstein with a pinch of salt. Or could it be that we are all different?

I have just weighed two peppers and a small one weighed 90g and a slightly large(ish) pepper weighed 156g.

TBH I will usually put one whole pepper in a salad for two and eat about 25% to 30% of that salad so even 30% of a red pepper would be less than 2g of carbs so not that bad even for an ultra low carber surely?

Kenny

DAY 3

Couple of chocolatized shakes today. Lunch was a concoction of chicken breast, egg plant and tomatoes. Small portion, of course, very tasty. I guess it was more than 200 calories, so I didn't use any milk in the shakes, meaning they were just 100 cals each. Weight going south again. 110 Kilos.

Re peppers, I remember reading somewhere that red peppers have lots more of a particularly useful nutrient. Can't remember which. So maybe that's why Bernstein allows red pepper even though it's higher in cals.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
red and yellow peppers start off green and then ripen to their final colour, hence slightly more sugar. As mine are grown outside they don't usually ripen to the all over colour of those in the shops and are more green with splodges of red/yellow/orange!

Kenny

DAY 4

Woke up this morning to a weight of 109 Kg. So 4Kg total weight loss so far. Had a 90calorie shake for lunch and went to see a friend this evening. Ate 4 slices of delicious pizza.. so definitely overstepped my calorie limit for today. Tomorrow, back to strict regime.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Re: DAY 4

Kenny said:
Ate 4 slices of delicious pizza.. so definitely overstepped my calorie limit for today. Tomorrow, back to strict regime.

Back to Day 1 again then Kenny, can I suggest that you give up and just go low carb for a couple of months it will have the same effect on your weight and bg levels but you will be eating real food so may not keep breaking your diet :D

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Bernstein just might be more correct than given credit previously on capsicum/bell peppers. We are all different and Bernstein is an elderly T1 male and I am a female T2 pushing 60 and I wish that his "not recommended" list were different for me but I have tried and tested his research before discounting or accepting, though I didn't bother with trying to disprove his yellow capsicum advice as the green is mostly what I grow. :(
From Wikepedia I found
Varieties

The color can be green, red, yellow, orange and more rarely, white, rainbow (between stages of ripening) and purple, depending on when they are harvested and the specific cultivar. Green peppers are less sweet and slightly more bitter than red, yellow or orange peppers. The taste of ripe peppers can also vary with growing conditions and post-harvest storage treatment; the sweetest are fruit allowed to ripen fully on the plant in full sunshine, while fruit harvested green and after-ripened in storage are less sweet.

Ultimately it is the cultivars that dictate the fully ripened product's colour and most likely the carb/sugar value is more specific to the cultivar. So perhaps Kenny, it might be more prudent to experiment with your colours after you have achieved your goal and grab every gram of carb saving that you can for now. Go well and go strong good friend!

Kenny

DAY 1

Sid says I have to start again, so today is day 1.
Despite last night's pizza, this morning I weighed in at 109 Kg, so same weight as yesterday. I'll test my blood sugars on Thursday, which would have been day 8, but will now be day 5.

NewdestinyX

Re: DAY 1

Kenny said:
Sid says I have to start again, so today is day 1.
Despite last night's pizza, this morning I weighed in at 109 Kg, so same weight as yesterday. I'll test my blood sugars on Thursday, which would have been day 8, but will now be day 5.
Yeah.. I don't always agree with Sid - but he's spot on on this one, Kenny. Each 'fall off the wagon' - at least in terms of THIS diet -- is a start over.. The only way ultra lo carb or this calorie diet really works is to empty the liver of glycogen for at least a two week period. Without that - the body never starts burning fat. The liver can hold from 4-6 lbs of glycogen attached to water. This is what people often, not quite accurately, call 'water weight' that can go up and down by 3-5 pounds sometimes even in ONE DAY.. Though usually it's over 2-3 days. You're not really burning any fat off your liver or pancreas or your belly until the the liver is 'empty' of 'stored' glycogen (sugar) + water. It's never fully empty - obviously - but the 'induction phase' of any of these types of diets don't start working until the liver is empty of glycogen.

I tell people my 'real weight' - which is the 'liver empty' weight. But if I splurge -- the 'liver full of glycogen', for me, is 4 lbs (2kg or so) more than my real weight.. It's kind of cool -- that whether I'm 109kg or 111kg my pants fit the same. That's why I alway quote the lower of the two numbers as my real weight - since while moderate carbing -- I can fluctuate in a two day period between 1-3kg and my clothes fit the same.

So - each time you 'refill your liver' - you have to start all over again.

This is why I think you need to take a LONG view of your 'recovery' from carb addiction. These 'extreme' diets almost NEVER work for people like us - no matter our determination. And you keep referring to eating 'off' your diet for your 'wifes' sake. People who do VERY STRICT diets need family members to ALSO eat LIKE THEY DO for a long period or it almost NEVER works out. If your wife wants to participate - you have half a chance. If not -- then you should try a different version - like Sid's saying of either very lo carb -- or what I do - which is normal lo carb.. 70-90kg.day (some call that moderate -- but it's really 'low' by most definitions). I eat a little of all foods I like -- even pizza - but I eat mostly the toppings. I use a little rapid acting insulin to cover for them and I'm still losing weight. I think that would be a better approach for you in the long run. You can get to the same finish line -- it will just take a couple of years -- as it has for me. And you won't have that -- OH SHOOT - I HAVE TO START OVER AGAIN TODAY -- feeling of 'guilt' or' failure. Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes -- done 'moderately -- DO work. All or nothing approaches aren't good - in the long run -mostly because we just can't 'do them'. Humanly...

I'll support you whatever you do.. But be honest with yourself, bro. That's the best approach!