Defatizing with Optislim by Patch

ernie100

Well done Patch.....hmmm as to coming off the Med ...its your choice...I do understand the concerns .....but its your choice and good luck...but as for me..am a coward... I am starting to reduce the doseage (not stop it), I will see the nurse and had blood tests etc on Wednesday.
My fasting BG today is 6.2 (formerly 7.5) with 12 weight loss... :roll: .am really keen to see what the Triglyceride levels will be....as I think that this maybe a good indicator of whats happening to the liver :!:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ernie - appreciate the positive encouragement.

ernie said:
...am really keen to see what the Triglyceride levels will be....as I think that this maybe a good indicator of whats happening to the liver

Me too. Very interested.

The reason I stopped the meds is becasue both of the meds I was on (insulatard and gliclazide) are known to cause weight gain - so taking them while trying to lose fat seemed like a waste of time.

Insulin is known to reduce total cholesterol and triglycerides, so it makes sense that reducing my insulin resistance by weight loss should also inprove my lipid profile.

High BG's are ALSO known to contribute to high chol./trigs, so again, reducing my BGs (especially my fasting BG's) SHOULD also improve my lipid profile.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
When I discovered LC about 3 years ago I had just had Metformin added to BP, a statin and a reflux med. As I watched my BGLs and BP go down and down, I gradually reduced all meds until I was taking none and went back for a follow up appointment a month after all had ceased. The endo grumbled a lot but only objected to the absence of the statin and prescribed the newest one on the market. I thanked him, took the script, filled it, then tossed them away after a week or two.
The GP and the Endo both agreed I did not need the statin at my next 6 month check up though they can't get their heads around how increasing fats played a part.

Twelve months ago I included alcohol back into my life and it brought me 6 kgs of excess weight. I began the No Alcohol + Optifast VLCD 17 days ago and have lost 2.5 kgs. More amazing is the FBGs I am getting. Normally in the 4.8-5.4 range I am getting 3.7-4.8 (one 5.0) . I only do two shakes a day and a veggie meal for the third and it has not been hard to stick to.

I have a meter and a BP machine and I use them to check regularly. See my doctor every 6-9 months and get bloods done annually.

I am with you all the way Patch. Looking forward to my alcohol free LC days very soon.
Alison

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers CV! Cutting the alcohol OUT will be hard for me - so I don't think I will. I won't be drinking at all while losing the weight (except for 1 weekend starting 12th Aug... :oops: ), and once I've lost the weight/the fat, I'll be looking to drastically reduce the frequency and the volume of the drinking I do.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done, Patch! :D Keep at it, and keep posting.

I understand your logic about the meds, and as long as you're closely monitoring yourself - which you are - I don't see why you shouldn't trust yourself. You're not stupid! :wink: :D

Viv 8)

PS Alcohol stops me losing weight. Atkins says it's 'cos the body runs on alcohol instead of glucose or ketones. I must be a US army jeep! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

humph

I stopped my medication a week before I started.

My main reason for doing this diet is because I no longer have any confidence in the nhs. Of all the doctors and nurses I have had dealings with, I would only describe three as professionals. My GP is a joke and shouldn't be practicing medicine.

I am happy to take my own decisions concerning my health, no matter the risk.

Kenny

Metformin inhibits glucose production in the liver. So doing a vlc diet while still taking metformin is a recipe for hypoglycemia. That leads to coma and death. So it's a no-brainer. You stop taking metformin at least one week before doing the diet.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting point about Metformin. I don't understand why they would try me on metformin (to act on my liver), but when I couldn't tolerate met, they put me on Gliclazide (to act on my pancreas).

If they don't know where the problem is, why are they trying to solve it??? It's all a bit too trial and rror for me. "Experts" in ANY field very rarely go about resolving a problem using trial and error for fear of causing more damage. I wish they'd look at diabetes treatment in the same way.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Nine - Tuesday 02nd August

Right - I'm starting to run low on test strips! So I'm gonna have to reduce the amount of testing I do. FBG's have always been a problem for me, so I'll continue with them, and it makes sense to do a pre-bed time reading so as to get an indication of what is happening (BG wise) overnight.

Fasting
6.3mmol/L

Pre-Bed Time
6.5mmol/L

Still absolutely NO side effects, and I feel really good. My belly is the most flat (although still not completely flat! :lol: ) it's been for years.

The 10lbs I/ve lost has gone from my belly, and (not strangely for me) from my back. I think I may have lost a little (very little) from my face too.

I've noticed that caffeine is hitting me harder than it usually does. I don't need my sugar free energy drink in the morning anymore, and if I have one after midday, it stops me getting to sleep at night.

Stopping those.

I suppose I'm a little surprised at how easy it's been. Apart from Saturday and Sunday night, I haven't really craved food at all. This is the first "shake" diet I've ever been on, and I always thought in the past that it would not be something that I could stick to.

I've really surprised myself in going NINE DAYS without any solid food. I honestly never thought that would be possible for me.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While I don't totally agree with what you are doing Patch I still think you have done extremely well to stick to this - especially over the weekend :D - I do hope that your hard work brings rewards - I will be honest and say even if it was proved beyond all reasonable doubt that this works I stil don't think I could do it! so for that I admire your will power and your tenacity!

Good luck with your weekend with the boys - it's going to be tough but good planning and stratergies should help with the damage limitation :lol:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
My belly is the most flat (although still not completely flat! :lol: ) it's been for years.
The 10lbs I/ve lost has gone from my belly, and (not strangely for me)

Thats exactly why i am going on this as i have no mass on arms legs its just my belly My arms and
legs looking like sticks with lack of use :?
I have tried few things now and nothing seems to shift the my wheelchair belly
Had no help at all from dietitian just told to eat healthy 5 '@ day and go to WW as we don't do diets :shock: WW or SW does not work for someone thats completely inactive.
and YES i have cut my Carbs

MY GP thinks it has a good chance of working and Rid me of this wheelchair belly
fingers crossed.

Well done Mate
Get some test strips was real interesting seeing your BG coming down with no Meds

Bob just testing new avatar ready for two weeks time :mrgreen:

ernie100

Good posts v interesting.
I have cut out tea and coffee for a while...as they load the system...which is trying to repair....am drinking green tea and "fluffy" teas eg lemon and ginger etc...which all supports the detox process (or so I have read)..also the ginger warms the old tum and helps with any hunger pangs......I make the ginger and lemon drink using real lemon and ginger......it works but will celebrate with a real coffee next week!

Without getting too personal....my urine doesn't smell strong anymore (sugar puffs before) and not peeing so frequently...I am drinking lots of liquid but no more than I usually do........so something is going on

ernie100

oh forgot to say have lost 13lbs during the last week , the hardest part of this regime is breakfast (the wife has toast that smell great)...however roasted some tomatoes for lunch...with a bit of oil oil and chillie powder and fresh herbs...yummm
Of f to the docs tomorrow for Fast BG test.........

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Day Ten - Wednesday 03rd August

Fasting:
6.8mmol

Happy with that. Before bed last night it was 6.5mmol/L.

Good times. Looking forward to weigh in on Monday.

ernie said:
oh forgot to say have lost 13lbs during the last week

Right on! Don't be surprised if your FBG is RIGHT down after the first week.

ernie100

Thanks Patch
I have just returned form the diabetic nurse to have some blood tests...lets see what my fasting BG levels are. I will also start to measure +2 hrs post food.

I have reduced my Met by 50% to 500mg pd and will see the doc at the end of the week for results and discussion. If my strip tests look good by then I will look at reducing my Met doseage to 0?
OK I have seen some pretty aggressive e mails around...and just wanted to put a point or two....

If people are watching these threads....please remember that there may be out there some despairing or just plain frightened peeps out there who have been recently diagnosed and are trying to get information to assimilate......what the effect of this disease is on their lives....

Firstly they should read the study...ok it was a small number of people on the trial....but it did show some interesting results......There will always be people who challenge this and that is fine...but challenge it on the medical facts...

Secondly it is about weight.....For me I had to lose some weight......I was 16 stone and am 5ft 10inches and heavily built. I have decided that it is worth following the diet regime...to give me the double wammie of weight loss and BG control.....I feel not good some days but overall I believe in what I am doing.

Thirdly ......I am using this diet as part of a programme of exercise and feel overall much better. I have also cut my omeporazole by 50% and in a few weeks will check all of my blood chemistry.
But this post is not about me, but about choice....ok if my BG levels return to pre diabetic or better then I have achieved something..as well as dropping a few sizes.

The above is about taking control and doing something...I am lucky I can....and I understand that others may not be able to do this (due to personal circumstances or medical reasons). All of the above is standard medical advice.....ok the diet thing is extreme but if done correctly and under medical supervision...then at the minimum it swaps medium term diets with a short sharp exercise (although at the moment 8 weeks seems a long time).

I am under no illusion that this is not a one off fix but a template to manage BG in the future...even my BG returns to normal then I will still have to watch it and my diet etc for the rest of my life....overall a small price to pay.....actually nett nett its what I should have done any way....

Ok I am lucky that I can do this...I hope it works for ALL of us...even if for some reason it doesnt get there...at least we have got something positive.....
Friom the littel that I know....the body can cope with a 8 week diet like this...providing your base medical start position is ok, you regularly monitor your BG, you listen to your body and yes....take medical supervision....
This offers a little hope to others out there and for me...even if it partially works...eg weight loss and lowering of BG...then it is worth it.....

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep at it, ernie! As long as you monitor you BG yourself regularly, and are aware of the effects of metformin, I'm sure you'll get on just fine! I wouldn't be at all surprisd if you do come of the met completely.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ernie100 said:
I have just returned form the diabetic nurse to have some blood tests...lets see what my fasting BG levels are. I will also start to measure +2 hrs post food.

Good to see you are doing this with the support of your health care team

ernie100 said:
OK I have seen some pretty aggressive e mails around...

I assume you mean posts as emails are private but yes there have been far too many aggressive posts flying around :D

ernie100 said:
Firstly they should read the study...ok it was a small number of people on the trial....but it did show some interesting results......There will always be people who challenge this and that is fine...but challenge it on the medical facts...

The medical facts are that 11 people does not prove anything

ernie100 said:
Secondly it is about weight.....For me I had to lose some weight......I was 16 stone and am 5ft 10inches and heavily built.

As I have stated before all the evidence says that a 'quick fix' diet will not work but I truly do wish you well. IMHO for these extreme diets, and lett's face it that's what they are, to work in the long term then participants need to undertake to make major lifestyle changes in order for the weight that will inevitably drop to stay off. And you may say I am being negative if you wish but I cant help feeling that if people have the will power and the motivation to change their lifestyles then these extreme diets would not be necessary. Hope you prove me wrong :)

ernie100

Hi Sid and Patch and everyone else
Thanks for the encouragement...........
Yep understand that 11 is a very small sample size....but something seems to be going on, and yes it will be a lifetime thing.........But hope to prove that it works for me and then you :wink:
My BG+2hrs was 5.9 today (after soup shake for breakfast),