Diabetic Ice-Cream

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I thought I was being good by buying "diabetic ice-cream" instead of our normal Kelly's ice-cream.
However on getting home and checking the carb contents of the two I was shocked to find that Kelly's was better.

Franks Diabetic Vanilla:
Fat 6.1g
Carbs 19.7g
Fibre 0.5g
So a net carb content of 19.2g

Kelly's Cornish Dairy Vanilla:
Fat 7.2g
Carbs 13.2g
Fibre 0.1g
So a net carb content of 13.1g

Think I will stick with normal.

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only have ice-cream as a treat, although my main point was that some things marked as diabetic are not as good for us as "normal" foods.
I normally have melon for a desert, yum yum.

Reactions: Margaretjamieson

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Try OPPO ice cream. The chock and hazelnut is great and low carb, 5.1% sugar.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Oppo ice cream. And so does my 11-year-old daughter... which was not the plan at all...! That’s my ice cream...!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oppo is a winner for me too. Chocolate and Hazelnut flavour with a bit of extra thick double cream goes down well.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's labled 'diabetic' it most probably isn't.
Best solution is to get your own ice cream maker (about £30) and make your own no-carb ice cream with flavours that you enjoy.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I bought rasperry ripple ice cream from Marks and Spencer. I've now remembered why I don't buy ice cream I can't leave it alone! But I also have claud and finn fromage Frais ice lollies which are about 8g of carb

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If it's labled 'diabetic' it most probably isn't.
Best solution is to get your own ice cream maker (about £30) and make your own no-carb ice cream with flavours that you enjoy.

Yep, this hits the nail right on the head. Same with biscuits and other things. Full of carbs, often more so then some of the regular brands. "Diabetic friendly" or "good for diabetics" is I find, a red flag. Avoid. I think it's very deceitfull advertising.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, this hits the nail right on the head. Same with biscuits and other things. Full of carbs, often more so then some of the regular brands. "Diabetic friendly" or "good for diabetics" is I find, a red flag. Avoid. I think it's very deceitfull advertising.
as an aside isn't all advertising deceitful .... an attempt to get you to buy something you don't want don't need when have you seen an advertiser say our product tastes wonderful but is full of things you should not eat so do not buy it except as a treat once a year. I Know I am living in cloud cuckoo Land

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
as an aside isn't all advertising deceitful .... an attempt to get you to buy something you don't want don't need when have you seen an advertiser say our product tastes wonderful but is full of things you should not eat so do not buy it except as a treat once a year. I Know I am living in cloud cuckoo Land

Probably so, and maybe the "Diabetic friendly" advertising is following the low fat, carb high advice that is in accordance with diabetic associations the world over.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can make real icecream from a custard made with eggs and cream, plus flavourings - it is very good. It can take some whipping if you don't have a kitchen gadget to do it with, but well worth the effort.
With the UK about to suffer a winter vortex plunge, just leave the milk on the doorstep.