Eating-window Sunrise to Sunset IF regime

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Been meaning to share this for a while - I found a relatively easy to sustain eating-window regime, and have been doing it for five months now.

I came across a new online-doctor recently who I rather like, called ‘Dr Boz’, or Dr Annette Bosworth. She comes from a Keto-diet point of view. I like her youtube segments, to a point, and one in particular really interested me, as a weight-loss-resistant SIRD person with diabetes. (I had insulin resistance bad enough to get PCOS in my 20s, developed type two in my 50s.)

It was called ‘Get rid of insulin resistance once and for all’.

She suggested aligning one’s eating with circadian rhythms, ie, by confining your eating to when the sun is out (ie sunrise to sunset).

I like the looking out the window to look for the sun thing, as opposed to looking at my watch, and counting up hours thing. (I have big windows, and I live in a rural area, so this is a pleasing thing to do in itself.)

The bump in glucose and insulin with sunrise is due to pineal gland and light/sun recognition, she says. (I am definitely a dysregulated Dawn Phenomenon sufferer!) As I live on a latitude with fairly even year round daylight vs night-time hours, and it was the beginning of the cold season in May when I saw this youtube, I thought I would give it a go as an IF/window of eating regimen, offering a soft 14 hours off, 10 hours on rhythm, and giving me a lunch and dinner combined in mid afternoon, or an early dinner before sunset, which would suit my life circumstances. I felt I could sustain this regimen for a long time, if not indefinitely, something I have found hard to do with other IF regimens. (I was correct.)

I have Friday and Saturday night off of it altogether, which means I can low-carb snack and have a drinkie or two whilst watching movies & Netflix. A necessary pleasure for me. Also works well with the odd dinner or party invite.

Her 'kicking the IR in the butt' regime (my words) is actually much ‘harsher’, which is to advance towards eating one meal as close to sunrise as possible. So - morning only. Breakfast only. Her other tips were “eat mostly fat with a sprinkling of protein”, and “quit processed food, including almond flour and coconut flour”. Ouch on both of those. So I am not doing those (I can save it for another time perhaps, for a shaking up my metabolism method when called for).

I operate well/best with plenty of protein, and the fats that are part of the package with the protein. I would find it really hard to kick my lchf and keto baking, which is almond flour and coconut flour also. But I do get her point.

Many weekdays I skip lunch and go for ‘linner’ instead (the lunch/dinner combo). So it is in effect largely a two-meals a day regimen – a big breakfast and usually a smaller linner. But this depends on brain-workload, and energy needs for physical work. (ie I can't be hungry or weaker for either, so three meals in the eating window unless having a day off of both kinds of work.)

By two months I had dropped below any weight reached by two VLCDs and eight years low-carbing/Keto way of eating (which one dependent on how many berries I have been eating). I went from a BMI of around 23-upper 24 range, to a BMI of 21.4. Then to 22.1 bmi, and at five months of this IFing a BMI 22.4-22.5.

The health marker that is most meaningful to me though is my waist height ratio, and I got the smallest waist with normal conditions of .44 (normally post diagnosis and lower carbing it is between .47 and .49) At the end of the VLCDs I did I managed a .45, and was not able to sustain that. I have been able to sustain the smaller waist cirucmference, even with a rise in the bmi.

I was not doing this IF/window of eating regimen only, it coincided with taking up metformin , and I also believe the sunrise to sunset meant I cut down on how much alcohol I was drinking (alcohol drinking is a night time thing for me), which also contributed to the weight loss I have experienced on this regimen, breaking a longtime weight loss stall (gaining and losing the same 4-10kg.). Metformin does affect me by acting as an appetite suppressant, so perhaps making the evening no-food easier. I won't know till I go off the met after the next HBA1c prior to Xmas, and so then go non-met in January. (And I will be upping physical activity instead.) It'll be interesting to see how much was metformin, and how much the IFing. (I don't want to get out of intermediate hyperglycemia range hence upping exercise, which I know to influence my blood glucose levels even more than metformin for me.)

If I need or want to do another ‘shock tactic’ as in shaking my metabolism up, I will in fact give her OMAD method a try – but only weekdays, with Saturday, and Sunday off. (Sunday off for social reasons – I would not be good company on one meal a day, I am pretty sure.)

To remind, Dr Boz’s method being – breakfast only, one meal a day, mostly fat with a sprinkling of protein, no nut flours. And I would give it a go for a month if I can stand it. And see what happens to my blood glucose levels then. This for the future mind!

I am currently not able to have my c-peptides tested and therefore note reduction in insulin production, due to ghastly local GPs who don't understand insulin resistance - pity as I would have had some good data to know and to share.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The idea of intermittent fasting is a great tool in control, it stops you having far too many spikes and time out of normal blood glucose levels.
the thought of eating meal after meal with breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper with snacks inbetween is totally unnecessary and unbelievable.
iF will help with diabetes and many other conditions.

• Agree
Reactions: Tamarillo and filly

Tamarillo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must have undiagnosed prediabetes for years. I used to get shaky if I didn't eat every 4 1/2 hours or so. About ten years ago I discovered Dr Jack Kruse who popularised a way of eating (he called it a "Leptin Reset") which involved eating the bulk of your daily protein in the morning - along with getting a good 'dose' of morning sunlight and blocking blue light at night. I was astounded to find if I ate a good amount of protein at 7.30 am I could comfortably go to 3 or 4 pm before needing to eat again. Haha, yes that was my "linner". :D
Dr Boz does seem to be getting good results with some of the people she's working with! I wasn't aware of her very strict approach of morning OMAD (carnivore?) but I am aware of all the research stacking up showing benefits of early time restricted feeding (eTRF). I moved to an earlier eating window around the start of this year, the main downside being I don't get eat in the evening with my family most of the time.
Sorry about the GP situation. I empathise! I see you live in the same part of the world as me.
There's now an alternative network (Prekure) of health practitioners using the ketogenic diet as baseline for addressing all kinds of issues, diabetes first and foremost I think, but I doubt even they could order c-peptides?
All the best with your plan going ahead and coming off the met!

Reactions: AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I realised this morning that I forgot to mention the most important thing of all (OK - first equal with insulin production reduction) - the effect of new regime on my blood glucose levels. Wo ho!

HBA1c of 52 down to 47 in three months.

(For which a new doctor on try out felt she needed to point out to me 1. was a reduction, and 2. that reduction was an improvement) (oh boy! I'm her first health-literate T2D patient? Really? Good grief.)

Enormous relief getting back to the intermediate hyperglycemia range (the mouthful term for 'prediabetes' post a diabetes diagnosis, or just more medically accurate -'prediabetes' not making much sense when you go 'post' it rather than 'pre' the big D ...) (methinks at any rate!)

I had been badly affected by the covid years - all the stressors physical emotional financial - I won't spell out - we all know what they are! And had big spikes post vaccinations that took a really long time to come back down and then only into the hba1c 50s range (from a high of 63 at one stage ). Hence the caving and get the ol' french lilly on board which I have been, uh, saving for such an, ah, ocassion! :inpain: :D. It was a call in the cavalry situation, at the same time as trying out two new country doctors re the diabetes care (ahem, misnomer if there ever was one) when my old good enough one retired. (Above try-out doc sneered at me when I said I was experimenting with the met - it is so, and erroneously, seen as baseline in its prescription and use for T2D, regardless of data, and personal prefs of the person with diabetes.) (She denied me the C-peptide test, but told me she was just itching to prescribe me more dynamite drugs... so sweet of her!) (not!)

I like to see metformin the way Professor D'Ogostino does, as something you can pick up and drop as a positive stressor on your metabolic system - phasing it in and out if and when you need a metabolic shake up, if you need a shake up. I don't want to be on it lifelong, as one of its appetite suppressing actions is nausea that comes in and out as well - and I'm mighty sick of living with that. (the actual vomiting was just in the first month or two). I'm a woos when it comes to side effects! And that not unlittle side effect of significant reduction in my B12 levels (written about on another thread,someone else's thread on the subject of metformin and B12 deficiency).

I do see as a longterm arrangement with this new eating pattern, incorporating time outs. I hope in the next HBA1c just prior to Xmas, I will be in a more comfortable intermediate hyperglycemia number reflecting better blood glucose regulation. It's be nice if it gets to 44 or 45.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The idea of intermittent fasting is a great tool in control, it stops you having far too many spikes and time out of normal blood glucose levels.
the thought of eating meal after meal with breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, supper with snacks inbetween is totally unnecessary and unbelievable.
iF will help with diabetes and many other conditions.

Yeah sure. Having sustained periods of no insulin being squirted out to cope with the glucose, and even without the glucose going in - all good for sure.

But I have no probs with the thought of eating meal after meal - snacks included! :D I feel hunger keenly normally. I have experimented extensively with a range of fasting regimes. Including a 10 day fast. On any fasting regime, hunger does not lessen and certainly does not go away. I have also done a couple of VLCDs, and ditto. I will be interested to see, next year, how much of an effect the metformin has been having on my tolerating a window of eating regime longer with that appete suppression activity and nausea of the met. (I come from a family of folks who feel hunger keenly, on one of the sides at least, so could be born with very active leptin and ghrelin levels, healthily even when not in the bad food environment of excess carbs in pools of bad fats.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamont D

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I must have undiagnosed prediabetes for years. I used to get shaky if I didn't eat every 4 1/2 hours or so. About ten years ago I discovered Dr Jack Kruse who popularised a way of eating (he called it a "Leptin Reset") which involved eating the bulk of your daily protein in the morning - along with getting a good 'dose' of morning sunlight and blocking blue light at night. I was astounded to find if I ate a good amount of protein at 7.30 am I could comfortably go to 3 or 4 pm before needing to eat again. Haha, yes that was my "linner". :D
Dr Boz does seem to be getting good results with some of the people she's working with! I wasn't aware of her very strict approach of morning OMAD (carnivore?) but I am aware of all the research stacking up showing benefits of early time restricted feeding (eTRF). I moved to an earlier eating window around the start of this year, the main downside being I don't get eat in the evening with my family most of the time.
Sorry about the GP situation. I empathise! I see you live in the same part of the world as me.
There's now an alternative network (Prekure) of health practitioners using the ketogenic diet as baseline for addressing all kinds of issues, diabetes first and foremost I think, but I doubt even they could order c-peptides?
All the best with your plan going ahead and coming off the met!

Kia ora Tamarillo! Yes indeed, whilst doing my research into diabetes doctor-ing, I came across a Kiwi 'find a keto doctor near you' site, and felt things must be improving. I am out in the boondocks though, so. I will be handing my diabetes care back to my city doc, who has no prob ordering me C-peptides! She was the one who diagnosed me with PCOS all those moons ago - over three decades ago now. She and I have a great understanding and she actually, now wait for it - learns about T2D/insulin resistance from me! And I respect her hugely of course, for her knowledge about meds and surgery and her diagnositc talent. We truly have a partnership in dealing with my ill-health. She is a gem. If only I could afford her more often!

Dr Boz's hardline sunrise OMAD regime is low on protein, so can't be carnivore. I think meat a perfect package of fat and protein, and I do well on protein, but I am pretty physically active, and need it for the wee muscles I have, I believe. (I certainly need those muscles to do the heavy lifting, chopping wood, yardwork and so on in my life! Can't see avocados cutting it.) (I mean - how many avocados can one eat?! at any given time.) She promotes eggs which is great, the usual - fatty fish and so on. Haven't gone into exactly what her "Sprinkling of protein" entails as I will never be doing that.

ps - love the new acronym eTRF - what a hoot! Big ty for giving it.:)

• Friendly
Reactions: Tamarillo

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Been thinking about and spending a wee bit of time online, on the protein issue. (After writing about it in here yesterday, to Tamarillo and Lamont D.)

And interestingly, the amino acid/protein issue seems to tie in with hunger issues as well. (That was a real surprise.) So thought I would refer to this, cite the article of interest, as lowering protein (specifically branched chain amino acids) is brought up frequently with the subject of lowering insulin resistance. and is indeed a key component of Dr Boz's heavy-duty sunrise OMAD lowering-insulin resistance IF regimen.

I was going over my notes on a big fave doc of mine, Dr Robert Lustig (whilst watching the last of non-Disney broadcasts of Dr Who, btw, on the tele) and re-re (and re) read again the brilliant article 'What is Metabolic Synbdrome, and why are children getting it?' By Lustig, Weiss, and Bremer -

It deals very well with insulin resistance as the underlying cause of metabolic syndrome (arguably the precurso of T2D, and CVD). A subsection is on the four dietary factors so far identified in insulin resistance. (Note I don't say 'cause' as the studies are correlated data/associative data ones, followed up on studying rats.) Good precis of the 'dietary fat versus carbohydrate' quandrum (we are of course in no doubt that this is still HUGE in T2D dietary advice from medical professionals, where an overload of dietary fat is cited as a leading cause of T2D, at least it still in in NZ). Then Fructose , lastly Ethanol (alcohol), and - Protein specifically the branched chain amino acids (BCAA).

I have to admit that I am sighing and groaning, even as I re-read and write this. BCAAs are from beef, chicken, fish, and eggs. For the vegetarians and vegans - baked beans and lima beans. Chickpeas. Lentils.

Ouch!

I am holding on to the fact that they write specifically in the paper cited above about the overload theory of BCAAs on insulin resistance being in the presence of obesity. Which is how, presumably, lean muscular carnivores (and - our species during long periods of our preshistory and some peoples now) did and do well on lots of meat diets. I am thinking Forum master bulkbiker here too :), and those lean muscley carnivore-way of eating folks I see online, not getting insulin resistant, or, leaving their old insulin resistance behind them.

I also have to state my own bias/prejudice here, in that because I got severely done by the anti egg/red meat/dietary fats pro-cereals and wholegrains and sprouts stuff from the late 70s, I am seriously anxious and suspicious when anything says that ancient foods that my forebears did well on are actually the cause of metabolic syndrome/IR and T2D, some cancers and of course -CVD. (metabolic diseases in other words.) They do in fact, if you look closely only say that - associated with, not known to cause. And that might be, my bias here, where our foe the overload of fructose and carbs comes in.

Yes this is seriously a case of - which came first the chicken, the egg, or the carb overload in inciting insuliln resistance?! Hmmm.

Re the effect of BCAA overload in insulin resistance, "Chronic BCAA elevation impairs the transport of aromatic amino acids into the brain; the reduced production of serotonin (derived from trptophan) and catecholamines (derived from phenylalanine and tryosine) may driver hunger."

Whew! There you go on that one.

And I guess for folks who do a plant-based diet and do really well in dropping the insulin resistance - "The BCAA overload hypothesis suggests that in the context of a dietary pattern that includes high fat consumption, BCAAs may make an independent contribution to the development of insulin resistnce, a hypothesis supported by metabolomic studies demonstrating high BCAA levels in normoglycemic individuals that subsequently develop insulin resistance and diabetes."

Hope this was of some interest to someone suffering heavy-duty insulin resistance, and wondering about the role of protein/BCAA in it, and in Dr Boz's low protein OMAD IF regimen.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Dr Boz's advice is a resource I use from time to time. I like the fact that she stays accountable showing blood glucose and keytone readings, which I have wanted other Dr's on other protocols to do...strangely silent especially the top hierarchy).

Personally, I wouldn't get too bogged down with theoretical out of context ramblings around items such as BCAA's. The comments on this are similar to TMAO. E,g, whilst red meat can produce TMAO this is countered and neutralised by other nutrients within the meat. So as per ususal a scare tactic from those who have to have meat fail is out of context. Trust what your eyes have shown you rather than things you can disprove by anecdotes.

I have found that the variances in the low carb through to carnivore "experts" fine for those metabolically sick, excluding the meat and fruit diet of Paul Saladino (I cannot see how 200 grams of non-berry fruit would work for anyone who has had up to Type 2 Diabetes - please correct me if someone on this forum has managed that (non drug assisted).

This video might be worth a watch as it compares IF regimes and indicates that eTRF has tangible benefits.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Alas, @Mbaker, "bogged down" and "theoretical out of context ramblings around items such as BCAA's" is referring to me :D - as I am the one taking those quotes out of the context of the whole paper by Weiss, Bremer and Lustig, in the context, I thought, of my discussion on Boz's sunrise to sunset and OMAD. So maybe I am not so happy with that characterisation.

But! I think this website here is a fantastic opportunity for me to receive feedback by folks such as yourself who actually think about these things, who must be few and far between? Outside of a small research community, and doctor-experts like Dr Lustig. So - thank you?

And yes - the research referred to in the youtube around the differences between early in the day loading of food, and later in the day/evening/night - very interesting indeed. An easy thank you :).

Always good to hear about good counters to the ghastly anti-red meat brigade, and the TMAO is an argument that WHO use, unfortunately.

Thomas DeLauer doesn't have a teaching style I respond to usually, but I did like this one on the role of fats in IR as well -

"The OTHER Leading Cause of Insulin Resistance - It's Not Just Sugar"

So thank you for the intro to his youtubes.

Tamarillo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding of Dr Boz's low protein approach for her most severely IR patients may be a bit simplistic?
If I recall correctly, Jason Fung suggests the same - IE a low protein and high fat diet - for the most resistant people in the early stages of healing, because their bodies can not 'keto-adapt' efficiently as would happen in a more metabollically healthy person. Keto-adaptation for those bodies experiencing ot for the first time, occurs over several new generations of mitochondria - all born under the condition of fat burning. My basic understanding is the low protein, high fat intervention is to help provide the right conditions for mitochondria to switch to where they will be able to burn body fat.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Tamarillo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alas, @Mbaker, "bogged down" and "theoretical out of context ramblings around items such as BCAA's" is referring to me :D - as I am the one taking those quotes out of the context of the whole paper by Weiss, Bremer and Lustig, in the context, I thought, of my discussion on Boz's sunrise to sunset and OMAD. So maybe I am not so happy with that characterisation.

But! I think this website here is a fantastic opportunity for me to receive feedback by folks such as yourself who actually think about these things, who must be few and far between? Outside of a small research community, and doctor-experts like Dr Lustig. So - thank you?

And yes - the research referred to in the youtube around the differences between early in the day loading of food, and later in the day/evening/night - very interesting indeed. An easy thank you :).

Always good to hear about good counters to the ghastly anti-red meat brigade, and the TMAO is an argument that WHO use, unfortunately.

Thomas DeLauer doesn't have a teaching style I respond to usually, but I did like this one on the role of fats in IR as well -

Thank you for the link to that Youtube presentation on ectopic lipid accumulation! Interesting!!
I did not feel at all well on a ruminant Carnivore diet even though I ate some of the best beef and lamb in the world. ;) For now I feel much better getting some of my fat from olives, nuts, seafood and a few goat's milk products.
OK, I'm going to watch that video again. Thx again!

Reactions: Speedbird

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hear hear on the brilliant beef and luscious lamb from these fair isles, Aotearoa/New Zealand :D , @Tamarillo. (I also really love the tamarillos! A wonderfully tasty sourish fruit! You must love them too?)

I wish I had good reasons to report on why I haven't done a significant experiment with the carnivore way of eating. I tried it for four days, and was very surprised that I did not take to it like a duck to water as I expected, and I fear it is because I still rely on food other than that wonderful meat and seafood to give me pleasure. Apparently roast brocolli and cauliflower is meaningful to me! Kind of pathetic. Same kind of reasoning that some people with type two I have met still eat sugary baked goods? (The last one was 84, and he was diagnosed aged 40, but I was driving him to the renal clinic... but 84! And still eating cookies and cake - Wow!) But the meat/seafood/dairy WOE is on my T2D-experiments for the future 'bucket list', as is the Boz-nian OMAD.

Sigh. Back to work...

• Friendly

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

Apologies if you think due to my wording I was referring to you rambling, completely the opposite. I used such wording out of frustration when " they" keep trying the same card trick; meat causes cancer due to us testing a protein on a pre-cancerous mice, cows are responsible for climate change, etc, etc, it is all lies and tiresome deflection.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good! I'm pleased. :D . This is what we can do for each other - share our experiences and experiments, that builds on the knowledge base, both personally, and generally.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just a few words on a very basic aspect of an intermittent fasting window of eating regimen - I was chatting with a fellow Keto eater and window of eating IFer in a friendly cafe recently, and we got to 'talking shop' very enjoyably.

I talked about my sunrise to sunset thing, and, as we had fairly recently changed over to warm season/spring/summer/into-autumn-next-year daylight saving, she joked with me that this allowed me to eat in a very large window of time! For quite a long time! I answered that of course I made the adjustments, and still kept in a 10-12 hour window of 'eating on', 2-days off, regardless of the extended daylight hours due to season change, and the clock change. In fact, there is no needing to look out the window to see if the sun has risen, and ditto with the sunsets. I just comfortably now go by time which is generally 7-8amish brekkie, to latest 6-7pm ish dins, if having one, ditto a small dry red wine with the evening meal some days, if having an evening meal. All depends on workload - homewise and out in the world wise. If I am doing physical work on the property - I need a feed afterwards (and prior!). Loading up on breakfast suits me well.

Anyway, I found this idea that I would extend the eating window, contrary to the principle of eating within a 10-14 hour-tops-window, due to season and clock change, and not my own IF regimen, very strange. I don't use the word, 'cheat' myself, as I don't really understand how one can cheat on oneself. Either something works for you, or it doesn't. If it doesn't work for you - change your regimen. Or see it as a time-out and re-start. No self admonishing/brow beating. Just acknowledgement that sometimes these regimens work for you, and sometimes they don't.

I have personally tried lots of fasting treatments, and am delighted that this one is the easiest one, and fits in with my life the best, at least as it is now. and, I get a heavy duty version of it to do if my metabolism needs another big shake up. (Which for me, is very likely.) This otherwise very nice woman at the cafe and I were strangers, so she didn't know I am not into 'cheat' and 'guilt' and all that jazz, but I thought, hmmm, maybe I do need to mention again the seasonal change thing overtly. Just in case. So - with extended daylight hours - no change in the regimen, naturally. Just makes it even easier.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Post Christmas Carby/social fare (I wrote about my own experience in Oldvatr's thread 'I kinda lost control this Xmas'). I found I am returning to my sunrise-sunset window of eating IF regime with some difficulty. I am kinda surprised by that, as it is one of the easiest IF/fasting routines I have ever engaged in, and for a decent period of time (7 months prior to Xmas 4-5? day hiatus).

Perhaps I can blame it on inclement weather? Unseasonal wind and rain? Or probably more likely - re-engaging with a hefty sugar addiction. Because last night whilst watching netflix, I started to dream of my (keto, fakely sweetened with my favourite stevia and some other things in some of the indreds) chocolate biccie sitting in the fridge. I wanted to eat it, even at 11pm. I didn't, but I did note the dreaming of sweet chocolatey food late at night. This morning I was rewarded with my fasting blood glucose having returned to pre-Xmas hiatus levels also. My FBG evels are nothing to sing about - just good enough for me, with intermediate hyperglycemia (high end 'prediabetes'). So, still pleased I can keep that addiction under wraps. Still interesting to note its existence though!

I can't blame anything on weight gain, as through all this my weight and waist line remains the same - bmi 22, waist height ratio .44. My muscles, post a physical temp job last year in November - much to my surprise, are still hanging in there! Not my abs - easy come easy go. But my front thigh muscles are still the closest to when I was a cyclist many moons ago.

But I must have mighty damaged mitochondria, certainly my fat cells, possibly my genes that oversee metabolism (I've been re-reading Jenny Ruhls Diabetes 101 - always a sobering read), as I am well and truly weight-loss resistant with my blood glucose function. I don't mind being an example of this in the forum - you know - what type two has been insulin resistant on and off for 30 something years? Has lost a ton of weight since diagnosis? Has tried a food version of the Newcastle Diet not once but twice? IFs. Recently went the medication route. And is still in the orange/light red zone, if she is lucky, on the BG colour charts. (I love the colour charts. Who can't understand green to deep red to firey red? in the danger/safety continuum.)

Anyway. Back loading up on my low-carb fare mainly in the morning. Eating within a 12 hourish window. Back on the wagon. (Having noticed, it is indeed - still a wagon!)

• Informative
Reactions: Speedbird

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
OK - I ate my Keto cookie (homebaked - I'm totally confident as to the ingredients) well and truly in my eating window yesterday, had an early main meal late avo, and didn't eat anything else until breakfast all with the same ease I discovered on beginning this daytime eating window in May last year.

(I am starting to rethink the wisdom of me having free-for-all carbs Xmas periods!)

(Actually - the cookie recipe is Paleo, from the magnificent 'Paleo Cooking from Elena's Pantry', minus the honey of course, substituted with a few drops of liquid stevia - the recipe 'chocolate mint cookies'.) (So good, and so easy, I printed out a copy of this recipe and passed it on to a lovely supermarket check out worker in my rural town who has a partner with type two and a - wait for the shock - a sweet tooth, and couldn't kick store-bought cookies.) (Still can't sadly. And gossip in the town he is well and truly mood disordered, and she a saint for putting up with him. Just saying!)

Anyhow. I re-read Bernstein, and just recently re-read Jenny Ruhl, (they are writer-leaders of the so-called 5% club - which advocates having an average BG level of 5-5.5% I believe it is, for optimum health - hard to contest, and - if only!) and apart from generally feeling like a permanently damaged human diabetic specimen after reading these two, I did note she mentions the circadian rhythm (linked with vitamin D/necessary sun exposure one supposes?) in the excellent 'The real causes of type two diabetes' on her website. I know she doesn't like reproductions of her hard work, but hopefully this is OK with her, me reproducing it here for educational/informational purposes?:

"Gene that Disrupts Circadian Clock Associated with Type 2 Diabetes

It has been known for a while that people who suffer from sleep disturbances often suffer raised insulin resistance. In December of 2008, researchers identified a gene, "rs1387153, near MTNR1B (which encodes the melatonin receptor 2 (MT2)), as a modulator of fasting plasma glucose." They conclude,

Our data suggest a possible link between circadian rhythm regulation and glucose homeostasis through the melatonin signaling pathway.

Melatonin levels appear to control the body clock which, in turn, regulates the secretion of substances that modify blood pressure, hormone levels, insulin secretion and many other processes throughout the body.

A variant near MTNR1B is associated with increased fasting plasma glucose levels and type 2 diabetes risk. Nabila Bouatia-Naji et al. Nature Genetics Published online: 7 December 2008, doi:10.1038/ng.277

There's an excellent translation of what this study means, translated into layman's terms at Science Daily:

Body Clock Linked to Diabetes And High Blood Sugar In New Genome-wide Study"

from, https://www.bloodsugar101.com/the-real-causes-of-type-2-diabetes, author Jenny Ruhl. (And my bold for emphasis in the middle there.)

Hope this adds to the info on why daytime eating plans could be particularly effective for those of us with severe insulin resistance.