Fasting Blood Sugar this morning + yesterday's food AND physical activity

AGC_68

Wow it is just beautiful out there! Already so warm .. it is going to be a crazy hot day today. Glad it is a rest day for me exercise-wise :)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG
Libre 6.4
Contour 6.2
Yesterdays food
B/ protein shake & superfood bite
L/ digestion tea with collagen, cold roast chicken & homemade tomato & mozzarella salad, Benecol drinking yogurt
S/ alpro yogurt, blueberries & almonds
D/ carrots, celery & dips, burger & salad
S/ casien shake
Exercise
Gym
Warm up
6 sets deadlifts 12/10/8 reps
Barbell hip thrusters 3x10 reps 45/50/55kg
Shoulder press 3x12 reps
Bench press 3x12 reps
Lat pull downs 3x12 reps
Seated rows 3x12 reps
Wall sits 3x30 seconds
Stretch
Steps 10,555

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you enjoyed your rest day yesterday
So hot here, did a bit of weeding & sunbathing then had to go in as too hot
Had a letter from consultant yesterday recommending statins & a low lipid diet, trigs 1.1 & ratio 2.5, already has discussion with nurse who said she didn’t think I needed them but could have them if I wanted, I don’t
Raining here & forecast for all day, think it’ll be the treadmill later
Enjoy your weekend

AGC_68

This morning's FBG: 6.4

Yesteday's food:
B: Huel black banana + protein powder + PB
L: Huel black chocolate + protein powder + PB
D: Chicken keema, with broccoli and fried eggs
AD: Choc protein pudding

Yesterday's Activity:

Steps: ~7,000

Workout:

Rest day!

AGC_68

Hope you enjoyed your rest day yesterday
So hot here, did a bit of weeding & sunbathing then had to go in as too hot
Had a letter from consultant yesterday recommending statins & a low lipid diet, trigs 1.1 & ratio 2.5, already has discussion with nurse who said she didn’t think I needed them but could have them if I wanted, I don’t
Raining here & forecast for all day, think it’ll be the treadmill later
Enjoy your weekend

Hey there, those figures don't sound too bad.
Did he take those bloods while you were in a fasted state?
Ask for your full results .
They say that Triglyceride/HDL ratio is perhaps the best indicator of CV risk .
A ratio of under 2 is ideal, over 4 is of concern. This is using the USA units that measure in mg/dL.
to convert from mmol/L use this claulator: https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/cholesterol-ratio
Though some think a ratio of around 1 is perhaps better.

If just your LDL level is very high then that is also good indicator of CV risk too even if the Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is good and the Triglyceride/HDL ratio is good.
Same if your Total Cholesterol is very high, then good ratios don't mean you risk is low
Same if your Triglycerides level is very high, then good ratios don't mean your risk is low

Ask for your full test results if you don't have them, so that you can see all the figures and calculate the various ratios and make a more nuanced choice.

Sadly we don't get tests that show us if we already have arterial plaques or the state of it so we have to make guesses.

Statins aren't fun if you are in the 10% that get bad side effects, especially for people like you and me who like to get lots of exercise.

Take a look at the calculator and workout your levels and ratios.
Ted Naiman summarises triglycerides and cholesterol nicely here:

Also check out this guys channel for info on statins.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FordBrewerMDMPH/videos
He prescribes statins but also stresses the importance of avoiding them unless really necessary based on certain markers and symptoms. It is a nuanced subject. I am loathe to take them due to side effects, but I do not think everyone who is offered them should say no to them either.

If you like me you have familial hypercholesterolaemia or familial hyperlipidaemia like I do and have probably had insulin resistance for a protracted period, and therefore probably have arterial plaque - take them to stabilise the plaque and reduce inflammation. Sadly too expensive to routinely test for arterial plaque until symptoms or events show you have a problem LOL. but some things give you a big indicator that your risks are high.

He also has some info on diet which is well researched regarding raising HDL and lowering Trigs. Lowering your fat intake might be fine, but not if you have to increase the carbs to compensate as this actually tends to cause triglycerides to go up in people with insulin resistance or who don't produce enough insulin. You can go higher protein and lower energy ( i.e. lowering both fats and carbs) up to a point but eventually you'll hit a spot where you're just tired all the time and feeling lousy and unable to train and enjoy life.

You could try increasing you HDL with diet/supplements, and you already exercise plenty which is the other way to increase HDL.

Your Trigs aren't high at all though so I wouldn't stress about it. In your place I'd probably not take the statins, but have a look at all the info and science and see what you think mate. I think your consultant is perhaps looking at limiting risk given that he might not have a long history of A1C and Blood Lipid test results to look at. But given that your diet and exercise has been constantly good, I cannot imagine your Trigs will have been significantly higher for any protracted period of time. You can discuss it with him/her.

Sorry if that was a bit too much of an info dump there LOL!

Also good on lipids and cholesterol:

Last edited:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG
Libre 7.6
Contour 7.4
B/ black coffee & collagen, 2 boiled eggs, slice toast with butter, Benecol drinking yogurt
L/ homemade crustless quiche, tomato & mozzarella salad, walnuts
D/ cold roast beef & roasted broccoli
S/ casien
Rest day
Steps 5,847

Last edited:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the information
My HDL is the one that’s high (high HDL & low trigs are symptoms of MODY)
When he mentioned statins last time I started having a Benecol drinking yogurt every day & have cut down on cheese & meat, hence the tofu Buddha bowls for 4 lunches every week
Got a blood test form from doctors for diabetic review & one from the consultant, booked a blood test for 5/7 @ 9 am so going to have an early dinner the night before & fast for it, never been told to fast for blood tests before, hopefully these changes will make a difference
My blood pressure is always perfect so no problems there
My dad had high cholesterol & high blood sugar (but never diagnosed with diabetes) so that’s definitely where the MODY has come from, daughter had blood tests on Friday, took 4 vials of blood, when asked what the tests were they just said various things & wouldn’t tell her, hope those results will be back next week
Enjoy Father’s Day

AGC_68

This morning's FBG: 5.4

Yesteday's food:
D: Huel black chocolate + protein powder + cocoa nibs

Yesterday's Activity:

Steps: ~12,000

Workout:

4 x 6 minute rounds as below:
  • 2 mins sumo squats with 32kg kettlebell
  • 2 mins power clean and press with 32 kg kettlebell
  • 1min non stop gorilla rows
  • 1 min non stop press ups
no breaks until the 4 rounds are completed

AGC_68

Thanks for all the information
My HDL is the one that’s high (high HDL & low trigs are symptoms of MODY)
When he mentioned statins last time I started having a Benecol drinking yogurt every day & have cut down on cheese & meat, hence the tofu Buddha bowls for 4 lunches every week
Got a blood test form from doctors for diabetic review & one from the consultant, booked a blood test for 5/7 @ 9 am so going to have an early dinner the night before & fast for it, never been told to fast for blood tests before, hopefully these changes will make a difference
My blood pressure is always perfect so no problems there
My dad had high cholesterol & high blood sugar (but never diagnosed with diabetes) so that’s definitely where the MODY has come from, daughter had blood tests on Friday, took 4 vials of blood, when asked what the tests were they just said various things & wouldn’t tell her, hope those results will be back next week
Enjoy Father’s Day

Lipid tests are nigh on useless unless you're fasted. They never told me to fast for mine, but I did thankfully, and the nurse was switched on and checked that I hadn't eaten for at least 8 hours.

What were your HDL levels?

Ask the consultant at your next appointment why they are suggesting statins? Because they won't reduce HDL levels, they may increase them though.

Unless the reasoning is that they feel there is good reason to believe that you may have arterial plaque that needs stabilising.

https://www.heartuk.org.uk/genetic-...rol is a type,and lose its protective effects.

From the Heart UK cholesterol charity:

"If your total cholesterol is over 7.5mmol, with HDL over 2.5mmol, then your doctor should base their treatment decision mainly on your LDL cholesterol (and other non HDL-cholesterol).
Raised LDL cholesterol puts your heart health at risk so it needs to be brought under control.
Note that the TC/HDL ratio (which would otherwise be used) may be misleading if your HDL is high."

Have a lovely day. Thanks for the Father's day wishes, the girl is camping with scouts today .. I'll see her on Thursday :):)

AGC_68

From same source:

Current recommendations for healthy levels of HDL cholesterol
1.2mmol/L or above in women
1.1mmol/L or above in men
Our HEART UK experts say the protective effect of HDL cholesterol appears to reach its maximum at roughly 1.4mmol/L, and higher levels may not provide extra protection.
Over 2.3mmol/L, HDL may behave more like LDL cholesterol (or ‘bad cholesterol’) and raise the risk of disease, according to current research. This is especially important for women leading up to after the menopause.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG
Libre 4.9
Contour 5.1
Yesterdays food
B/ black coffee with collagen, 3 scrambled eggs, slice soughdough toast with butter, Benecol drinking yogurt
L/ alpro yogurt, blueberries & almonds
D/ cassien shake, ham, peach & Brie salad
Exercise
6.6 mile bike ride
too many hours gardening
Steps 7,037

AGC_68

This morning's FBG: 5.7

Yesteday's food:
D:Spinach, 3 eggs, avocado

Yesterday's Activity:

Steps: ~10,000

1 hour gardening

Workout:

4 x around the circuit below with a 16 kg bell:
  • 26 swings (13 L+ 13 R)
  • 26 snatches (13 L+ 13 R)
  • 26 cleans to press (13 L+ 13 R)
  • 26 cleans (13 L+ 13 R)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great short workout
Can’t remember exact levels not even going to look until have results from fasted blood tests, asked trainer this morning how to lower HDL
didn’t like the answer which was to stop training
Seems to be catch 22, train HDL goes up & b/s goes down, don’t train & HDL goes down & b/s goes up
Given a choice I’d rather have a heart attack & die quick rather than loose eyesight & limbs
Another 2 pb’s this morning so I’m happy
Enjoy your day

AGC_68

Great short workout
Can’t remember exact levels not even going to look until have results from fasted blood tests, asked trainer this morning how to lower HDL
didn’t like the answer which was to stop training
Seems to be catch 22, train HDL goes up & b/s goes down, don’t train & HDL goes down & b/s goes up
Given a choice I’d rather have a heart attack & die quick rather than loose eyesight & limbs
Another 2 pb’s this morning so I’m happy
Enjoy your day
Wise move mate. There is no need to panic about any of this at all I think.
My HDL was 2.0 mmol/L before statins and after 4 months on statins it was still 2.0 mmol/L
My LDL and total cholesterol levels levels came down by a verge large amount, which is good as they were very high indeed.
Diet and statins has not changed my HDL. It is considered high, but it is going to stay there, lifestyle, drugs or diet changes are not going to make a difference. It is genetic. Now that my BG levels are in good range and my LDL and total cholesterol is low and my Trigs are low, I am not too worried about the HDL. They say when HDL is over 2.3 mmol/L it can start to increase risk. Right now I'm not worried about it at all.

When you get your fasted results .. plug it into the calculator and convert it all to mg/dL and see how you compare to the recommended values and ratios listed in the test on the right of the calculator. I am guessing you'll be just fine.

Also research shows that cardiovascular fitness itself is a massive reducer of CV risk. So like you, thanks but I'll keep exercising!

Have a great day mate :):)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG
Libre 5.2
Contour 5.3
Yesterdays food
B/ protein shake, 5 Brazil nuts, superfood bite, Benecol drinking yogurt
L/ tofu Buddha bowl with onion & garlic dip, 5 cherries, mug of tea with collagen, walnuts
S/ homemade crustless quiche
D/ salmon in lemon & dill sauce, roasted broccoli & endamme & mung bean fettuccine
Exercise
Usual Monday routine
Seated row 40kg pb (only 5 reps at this)
Barbell hip thruster pb 10 reps @ 62kg (7kg more than last week)
Steps 10,293

Last edited:

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great FBG & workout
Thanks for all the advice, just checked HDL was 2.4, but that was straight after lunch, going to have an early dinner the night before blood test on 5/7 & see what difference that makes,
Consultant did change me over to libre 2 though & seems to be more accurate than the 1
Brilliant when he just says you’re doing really well just keep doing whatever it is you’re doing, don’t think anybody actually knows how MODY works,
Sun is shining & really want to go out for a run, but I know that any cardio in the morning is a bad idea, going to have a rest day so I can smash it again in the gym tomorrow
Enjoy your day

AGC_68

This morning's FBG: 6.1

Yesteday's food:
B: Huel black banana + protein powder + cocoa nibs
L: Huel black chocolate + protein powder + cocoa nibs
D: Stir fried chicken and veggies

Yesterday's Activity:

Steps: ~6,000

1 hour gardening

Workout:
  • 4 x 25 press ups
  • 4 x 50 bent over rows (2 x 10 kg dumbbells)
  • 4 x 10 biceps curls (2 x 10 kg dumbbells)
  • 4 x 25 bodyweight squats
  • 4 x 10 leg raises
went for an easier less intense workout yesterday, just to give the body a bit of a break .. looking forward to the 32kg kettlebell tonight!

AGC_68

You're smashing your PBs @DEBBIESCOTT !!
Awesome!

I got some new running shoes, might try a run at lunchtime. The sun is out .. looking good!!

Fingers crossed with those blood tests .. and remember even if the HDL is still very high, and the consultant recommends statins, try the lowest dose first to see how it goes. You might be one of those people who gets no bad side effects at all. My GP went straight for 20mg a day with me. LOL, horrible! Start at 5 mg and see how it goes. Statins won't bring down your HDL fromwhat I've read, but if you have arterial plaque it'll stabilise it and it will reduce CV incident risk, and hopefully no side effects! But hopefully your next set of bloods will show a lower HDL anyway. Good luck mate :)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG
Libre 4.8
Contour 5
Yesterdays food
B/ alpro yogurt with 2 tsp oats, blueberries & almonds, slice soughdough toast, black coffee with collagen, Benecol drinking yogurt
L/ marinated tofu, salad leaves & tomato & mozzarella salad
S/cheese string
S/ keto protein bar
D/ homemade crustless quiche, Brie, small flat peach, tbsp peanut butter & casien shake
Rest day
Strps 10,183

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great workout even with the lower weight
How did the run go?
Libre alarm went off hour after breakfast 10 minutes later back to 6’s
Felt squiffy mid afternoon b/s 5.1 so had a cheese string, after 30 minutes didn’t feel any better so had a keto protein bar, sat at 5 all afternoon, should have gone for a haribo
Left work late & low alarm wouldn’t stop, kept going till about an hour after dinner, very random dinner but was just what I could find quick
Off to the gym before work today
Enjoy your day