Give Us Newbie's A Break.

M

Moggely

Hi I will probably leave after this post but i am doing it on behalf of newly diagnosed diabetics. First of all when i came in i was never given a welcome pack such as daisy gives but that was ok because i was lucking and learnt a lot for 3 months before i posted. I since have seen many new people asking simply questions about Lchf and so on which most of you and i are doing. Those posts are rarely commented on . It made me sad because it seemed to me those that have been in here for years just comment to each other. Sorry but that isn't good enough. I don't care if i have to leave but when i do please good people don't leave these people with out an answer or sometimes even a welcome. Thank you for all those that have helped me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no need to leave. :)

And I know it's a bit late but...

Hi, welcome :)

Of course we care about newbies. I think that a while back before you joined many of us were answering newbie posts and advising LCHF, then we saw that the others were doing it, so we stopped, because a few complained that all we ever mentioned was LCHF and that we should give other methods a mention. I think these things tend to be cyclical, but thanks for pointing out what has been happening, because I haven't been aware of it, which is probably because I think there are so many other LCHFers here that someone else will do the job. Sorry.

Edited to remove daisy1 tag

Last edited:
M

Moggely

Zand it's too late for a daisy1 I stayed in here for people that couldn't cope and tried to help when others, like people in here for years wouldn't. I'm not going to apologise because for pity's sake have just that...PITY.. Once again thanks to all that have helped me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But is anyone asking you to apologise? I don't understand why you feel you need to leave?

I also was never given a welcome pack, or a welcome message, but that's because I just joined in with other threads and didn't start my own until I had been a member for several months

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I will probably leave after this post but i am doing it on behalf of newly diagnosed diabetics. First of all when i came in i was never given a welcome pack such as daisy gives but that was ok because i was lucking and learnt a lot for 3 months before i posted. I since have seen many new people asking simply questions about Lchf and so on which most of you and i are doing. Those posts are rarely commented on . It made me sad because it seemed to me those that have been in here for years just comment to each other. Sorry but that isn't good enough. I don't care if i have to leave but when i do please good people don't leave these people with out an answer or sometimes even a welcome. Thank you for all those that have helped me.

I’m sorry you feel this way @Moggely but I have to say that as a moderator now and having derived huge support as a new type 2 last year, I always look out for posts from the newly diagnosed. However like everyone I’m sure, I can’t be on the forum 24 hours a day and being a really busy Forum I suppose it is inevitable that some posts will slip through the net, which is indeed unfortunate. Please reconsider your leaving and if in the mean time you spot an unanswered post, please, if you don’t feel confident enough to help yourself, tag in some of the mods so they see the notification as soon as they are on line and will then go ahead and help.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox @Moggely is showing as insulin dependent...that may be why so few answered her? If that label isn't correct can you help her to change it? As I said in another thread @Moggely this is a computer error, not your mistake.

Reactions: briped

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Moggely, I am sorry to hear you feel this way.
I wonder if part of the problem is that those that have been on site for a long time reach a point where they are tired of and jaded by re-iteration. I am not putting this forward as an excuse, just a thought.
If the same question recurs and there appears to be a sign post of sorts to say, lchf (look here first) then how often does one repeat the same direction on forum to go to the signpost ? Perhaps the site needs clearer signposting to these resources so that newbies can orientate themselves more purposefully to the site, read and then ask more specific questions if that information is not understood.
Do we need an index of 'already answered questions' which people can view first to see if their question has already been asked and answered ?
Also, there is such a plethora of different forums, can anyone have time to read and respond to them all?
Having said that , the fact that no-one thought to link you to @ daisy1 is, I agree, an oversight.
Yes, there is, by contrast, chit-chat on site which many believe forms a support and information-sharing structure of sorts but could be viewed as supercilious or superfluous by others.
Expressing your concerns and insights is a way to boost improvement of these forums.
There is the overarching caution for respondents to questions to not provide information of a professional nature.
Some questioners may feel disappointed that they cannot be helped in this way. Their expectations are understandable in these cases but their disappointment may be unfairly assigned to the site or respondents on it.
I hope the above is helpful and gives you some pause about leaving us.
My very Best Wishes to you and your hubbie whatever you decide. Please keep enjoying the Midlands (of Tassie)!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand it's too late for a daisy1 I stayed in here for people that couldn't cope and tried to help when others, like people in here for years wouldn't. I'm not going to apologise because for pity's sake have just that...PITY.. Once again thanks to all that have helped me.

Moggley - There is a tab for unanswered threads, and the current state of play is thus:

upload_2018-8-5_12-3-7.png

As I see it there, there is one thread from a brand new T1 newbie without a response and one from a member about something specifically relating to pregnancy.

The other unaswered threads are NewBot, who is a bot, so doesn't converse, and then by more established members, mainly in jokes and humour.

I'm sorry if you feel this isn't good enough, but people are quite free to post where they so wish, and will tend to do that in areas relevant to themselves and where they might have some experience.

Our forum is a very busy environment, and at times, the footfall of visitors and posts is enormous, and threads can drop down Recent Posts quite quickly, so it is very unfortunate, but sometimes some things can fall between the metaphoric floorboards.

You are free to leave or stay, as as any member, but I would doubt members are being deliberately unhelpful or lacking generosity in their contributions.

Sadly, nowhere is just right for everyone.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Moggely do you know how to tag? (You just put @ followed immediately by the person's name, no space between the @ and the name)

Reactions: kitedoc

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Moggely I'm really sorry to read your post. I make an huge effort to read new posts and acknowledge them - often by apologising for not being able to help, and tagging in someone who I think can. If you have been lurking and not starting your own thread, then maybe people didn't realise you were new and wanted daisy1's message. I've never had it - yet I've read it so many times now that I probably know it off by heart!
Have you started a new thread that hasn't been responded to? Please come and join us in Diabetics r us where we just chat and share observations on the world.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Moggely do you know how to tag? (You just put @ followed immediately by the person's name, no space between the @ and the name)
Having had a peep at Moggley’s previous posts, I can confirm that someone has already helped with info about tagging but thanks for checking.

Reactions: zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is also the question of time difference. The majority(?) of members keep European time, roughly. It is very quiet here at night when in Taz it will be your waking hours.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Moggely ,

Sorry you feel this way.

Your profile suggests that you are an "insulin dependant type 2." Yet your treatment is "diet only." Is this correct?

If your status has been incorrectly entered on sign up? & you are diet managed only. This would influence diet or oral medded diabetics refraining from offering advice for fear of an inappropriate help? (Especially when it comes to the subject of LC & insulin.)

By the same token. I as an insulin user might come along & advise, give thoughts regarding diet & insulin use. Then find myself corrected regarding your medication? (Or possible lack of.?)

It would be a shame to see you leave regarding a possible missunderstanding regarding status & meds...

Kind regards,

J>

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually reply when I have what I *think* may be an answer, but I'm learning all the time still... Only been diagnosed 2 years. That, and I think I miss a bunch of posts, using the phone app, but can't be sure. Sorry if I'm one of the people that blew it for you, certainly didn't mean to...

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is another thread about the problem of being wrongly described as 'Type 2 - Insulin Dependant' and how to fix it:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/my-profile-is-wrong-help.154316/#post-1841118

@Moggely - since you're in Tasmania and don't appear to be getting much support from the medical profession, you might want to look into Belinda Fettke's facebook group and the clinics the Fettkes founded in Tassie:

http://nutritionforlife.healthcare/team
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nutritionforlifehealthcare/
https://www.facebook.com/nutritionforlifehealthcare/posts/1125225027640725

I'm not going to apologise for the fact that I don't spend as much time posting on the forum as I might have done in the past - we all have different lives and demands on our time. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect all threads from newbies will attract a lot of posts. Also once the introduction threads are over, it's a lot to expect people to remember who are newbies and who aren't, not to mention what their individual issues and level of experience are.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we are just people on an internet forum. we are not professionals and pop in as and when our busy lives allow us. we give as much time and help as we can, while also allowing time for our own questions and needs. None of us are paid to come on here and support others, we simply do what we can, when we can.

I do not recognise this bit:
It made me sad because it seemed to me those that have been in here for years just comment to each other.
as many on here comment on the posts of new ones, and give their time to help others. I am always struck by how helpful forum members are to others, including new ones, while balancing their own lives and work and stuff.

Addyb

Speaking as a fellow newbie I personally think it's been great so far. I've started a few threads and got great information and advice so far. I've got a ton of questions but want to drip feed them. I'm a member of lots of forums though (mainly gaming and films) and this one in particular is definitely more user friendly, but I guess it's about well being and not hobbyist so it's how it should be.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hope you stay with us @Moggely. I always try to welcome newbies, but I don't tag @daisy1 because I know somebody will.
I don't reply to some newbie posts because they are asking questions I can't answer like T1 insulin related, pregnancy related or questions about other conditions I don't know about. We aren't hcps and can only speak about things we have experienced ourselves.
Also newbies sometimes post in threads where it is difficult to reply, like the fbg with little chat, or in other threads started by another newbie, asking a specific question.
I don't usually reply to everything a newbie asks because the information given can be overwhelming when someone is just starting out. But I think on the whole the forum members are friendly and do their best to help others.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Moggely Sorry you feel this way. As mentioned your status says "insulin-dependant" I personally would not be able to comment on this as I have no knowledge of insulin use. Maybe other members feel the same.:)