GP uses low carb diet with 13 patients -amazed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Southport GP said:
I have been interested to hear from folk who have been using the low carb approach for longer than two years as the medical world while accepting the short term weight loss and other benefits worries about possible long term effects - though for my self I strongly suspect it's just as good on the long term as it is on the short term .

Many people who follow a low carb diet talk about the 'low carb' element and tend not to say much about what they supplement it with, other than, for example, mentioning high fat. That is a subject in itself, dairy fat, red meat fat, vegetable fat, poultry, fish oils etc. I can see why the medical profession raise an eyebrow when they just hear a term such as 'High Fat' when there is little or no explanation about how it is consumed. I find oily fish and olive based foods are versatile as cooking ingredients and supplement a lot of fibrous vegetables well. Fats in poultry such as duck or chicken too don't push my cholesterol or trigs up so I can live with a couple of red meat dishes per week. I still avoid deep fried foods though and cut off the excess fats on meat, a major sacrifice if it's a plate of lamb chops.

Madelaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently been diagnosed, the doc and I decided that I would try 3 months diet control. The reason I am posting here is my sister is a diabetic nurse and promptly reeled off what I should eat less of, avoid etc. she mention carbs. I have gone to slimming world to try losing weight which I believe helps. It did concern me because carbs are free with slimming world but then I realised it is about portion control, so more veg on the plate for me. Another concern is the restriction she has put on fruit. I am seeing the nurse in my practice for my first discussion so I might become more informed. Not lectured.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes fruit is high carb (except berries) BUT if you eat fruit within a meal not on its own the sugar takes longer to be absorbed and you can get away with it. Eat fruit on its own and your blood sugar will spike. Also even worse are fruit juices - stay away from them. With the whole fruit you get the fibre as well.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Re: bGs versus diet.

gezzathorpe said:
LittleWolf said:
Gezza, maybe you have reactive hypos? I know I used to. Tempura *****d me up one night..

I got to say I still find it odd how you tolerate what you eat XD One in a million x

Buckwheat and a salmon fillet -> 9.8 1 hr, 7.2 2 hours, which is pretty good for this non diabetic lol

Perhaps we could all learn from you? What's your exercise regime like?

Hi Little Wolf .. changed the title so as got to get confused with Southport GP's blog for low-carbers. Had breakfast 1.5 hours ago (as per chart), walked the dog (1 mile), felt a hypo and 3.4 ..... oops again. Just eaten a wholewheat bread sarnie with loads of homemade mayo, lettuce, tomato and liver pate. Next report in 2 hours.

wJ_Tg-cQOCdKgIUQD8OJMozBMlB10OcReNT5BuY8zeo=w580-h400-p-no

Your breakfast is the cause of your hypos, IMO. All calories from carb, & little protein or fat. Not sustaining at all, so you get a quick high BG (try measuring after 1 hour) and your energy from b'fast is used up before 2 hours, so you get a hypo. Your HbA1c may be OK but that average is made of highs and lows, not a steady level. I consider that is living dangerously.

I've tried cereal b'fast, measuring every hour. 1 hour - 14, 2 hours 5, 3 hours 4. We haven't got a dog to exercise. Our cat needs lap time, not walkies.

For 7 1/2 years I ate that sort of diet, and thought I had good control - but I was developing a range of complications, even though my HbA1c was always below 7. Changing to low carb cleared the complications. My b'fast is a "porridge" made from ground almonds & coconut flour - they're 50% fat.

A

Anonymous

Re: bGs versus diet.

IanD said:
Your breakfast is the cause of your hypos, IMO. All calories from carb, & little protein or fat. Not sustaining at all, so you get a quick high BG (try measuring after 1 hour) and your energy from b'fast is used up before 2 hours, so you get a hypo. Your HbA1c may be OK but that average is made of highs and lows, not a steady level. I consider that is living dangerously.

I've tried cereal b'fast, measuring every hour. 1 hour - 14, 2 hours 5, 3 hours 4. We haven't got a dog to exercise. Our cat needs lap time, not walkies.

For 7 1/2 years I ate that sort of diet, and thought I had good control - but I was developing a range of complications, even though my HbA1c was always below 7. Changing to low carb cleared the complications. My b'fast is a "porridge" made from ground almonds & coconut flour - they're 50% fat.

Hi Ian, thanks for your feedback on my eatng regime. I should be able to add protein to breakfast easily enough, e.g. nuts or bacon, eggs etc. What complications did you develop? I thought that, if my bGs are low for 20 out of 24 hours every day, I would avoid persistently high readings (e.g. remaining above 7.0), rather than short-lived 'glitches', which increases the risk of complications. My estimated HbA1C, which is calculated from fasting and evening meal only and ignoring hypos and daytime readings which are usually between 3.5 and 5.5, is 5.4%. However,I will be getting 'the truth' in about 2 hours! :shifty:

You say that your HbA1C used to be below 7%. If I take 7% (not knowing how much below you were), that represents 8.6 mmol/L, which implies you were persistently above 7.0 mmol/L which is the zone where the risk of complications increases.

Just out of interest, last night I had spaghetti with a sauce made from bacon, onions, garlic, ginger, courgettes, fresh tomatoes, tomato puree, and herbs and spices and the reading was 5.9. So, my average (using a low of 3.5 and high of 5.9) was 4.7.

It seems that you are holding some useful long-term evidence of the effects of low-carbing in that you managed to clear complications that you had developed on a previous eating regime.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
HbA1c
2000, At diagnosis - 8.6
DUK high carb, low fat diet (around 300 g carb daily)
until spring 2008 around 6.5 to 6.8
after low carb
6.0 to 6.3 (next one is due)

Exercise - I have played tennis year round for the last 25 years
Hospital Gym circuit (a heart rehab group with my wife) for about 8 years

Complications
within about 2 years of diagnosis
extreme tiredness, now vastly improved
retinopathy (stage 1), now cleared
kidney impairment, now stable
leg muscle pains - developed intensely, threatening my mobility, ending tennis & restricting gym (often I sat out)
those pains cleared completely in 3 months - I'm better than 10 years ago

Measuring BG after one hour was a big eye opener, I suspect the carb spikes around 14 caused my trouble; I have never been in the hypo region (below 4) , averages can be misleading

With your readings, you seem to have a significant residual insulin function (I could not get those readings with the DUK diet, & cannot with low carb either)

Hope that helps - if you are cautious about animal fats, an increase in nuts would be beneficial. Ground almonds added tocereal is easy.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
can you still eat fruit if you bolus for it earlier, I've found that If I gave the insulin (sorry Type 1) about 15 mins before the fruit I don't get as big of a rise in my bs? Although having said that I can go hypo at the 2 hour mark for it, again I think a little ratio adjustment might be needed for me there...

A

Anonymous

My Results Re: GP uses low carb diet with 13 patients -amaze

IanD said:
HbA1c
2000, At diagnosis - 8.6
after low carb

Complications
leg muscle pains - developed intensely, threatening my mobility, ending tennis & restricting gym (often I sat out)

Measuring BG after one hour was a big eye opener, I suspect the carb spikes around 14 caused my trouble; I have never been in the hypo region (below 4) , averages can be misleading

With your readings, you seem to have a significant residual insulin function (I could not get those readings with the DUK diet, & cannot with low carb either)

Hope that helps - if you are cautious about animal fats, an increase in nuts would be beneficial. Ground almonds added tocereal is easy.

Just got my results ...

HbA1C 5.6% (previously 6.2%)
Triglyceride 0.7 mmol/L
HDL 1.4 mmol/L
Chol:HDL Ratio 2.9
LDL 2.4 mmol/L
Cholesterol 4.1mmol/L

Kidneys, liver, urine etc. fine. Slightly increased in Monocytes 1.1 (whatever they are) so repeat blood count in 2 months.

My GP seems to be pleased and said "Whatever I am doing, I'm doing it right". That's a relief. :D

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Im a type one and try to limit my carb intake i rarely eat fruit although i love carrots and celery i dont eat bread and have about 30g of pasta a week i have slad meat chicken and have seen an improvement in my blood levels and my mood as well i work in mcdonalds too so not eating carbs can be difficult but im trying to stick with it it does work

C

catherinecherub

Re: My Results Re: GP uses low carb diet with 13 patients -a

gezzathorpe said:
IanD said:
HbA1c
2000, At diagnosis - 8.6
after low carb

Complications

Just got my results ...

Triglyceride 0.7 mmol/L
HDL 1.4 mmol/L
LDL 2.4 mmol/L
Cholesterol 4.1mmol/L

Kidneys, liver, urine etc. fine. Slightly increased in Monocytes 1.1 (whatever they are) so repeat blood count in 2 months.

My GP seems to be pleased and said "Whatever I am doing, I'm doing it right". That's a relief. :D

Well done gezzathorpe, marvellous results. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wouldn't worry about the monocytes, very often these can be raised or below ideal levels and it is just a blip. I am sure your GP will keep an eye on them.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-monocytes.htm

A

Anonymous

catherinecherub said:
gezzathorpe said:
Just got my results ...

Triglyceride 0.7 mmol/L
HDL 1.4 mmol/L
LDL 2.4 mmol/L
Cholesterol 4.1mmol/L

Well done gezzathorpe, marvellous results. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wouldn't worry about the monocytes, very often these can be raised or below ideal levels and it is just a blip. I am sure your GP will keep an eye on them.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-monocytes.htm

Thanks Catherine!x I've got a wild and whacky theory about the monocytes and my 'itching' which I'm going to speak with my GP about. More later on that later. :wink: By the way, my HbA1C was 0.2% above my own calculations which is not bad.

PS It will be interesting to see what 'our mutual friend' says.

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Well done gezzathorpe!!

I get all my results next week so it will be interesting to see if I've improved since going on a lower carb diet. I'll let you know

A

Anonymous

Faith* said:
Well done gezzathorpe!!

I get all my results next week so it will be interesting to see if I've improved since going on a lower carb diet. I'll let you know

Thanks Faith and good luck with yours! :thumbup:

johnlfitz

Southport GP said:
8 WEEK STUDY IN GENERAL PRACTICE, SOUTHPORT- EFFECTS OF A LOW CARB MODERATE FAT DIET OVER 7 WEEKS
13 patients, 7 pre diabetics and 6 type two diabetics were asked if they were interested in trying a low carb moderate fat diet they agreed to have their HbA1c monitored along with liver function, lipids (HDL and LDL cholesterol), weight and blood pressure.
HbA1c on average lasts as long as the red blood cell it occupies -120 days so improvements in care can easily take 12-14 weeks to show in the HbA1c result. Our results are all the more surprising as the improvements stated were measured after only 7 weeks.
RESULTS: One patient didn’t like the diet and dropped out after a few weeks. Of the remaining 12 all had significant weight loss averaging 6.2Kg after 8 weeks and an amazing drop in HbA1c averaging 9.8mmol/mol in 7 weeks
This resulted in all the prediabetics having a normal Hb A1c.
Of the 6 diabetics:3 ended up with normal HbA1c< 42. Two ended up with pre diabetic HbA1c<48. One ended up with a much improved HbA1c result from 83 to 57.
All had either improved cholesterol or they remained the same, despite the higher fat diet.
7 of the 12 had abnormal liver function tests at the outset and all saw a significant improvement.
5 of the 12 were able to come off regular medication of one form or another.
I'M SO PROUD OF WHAT MY PATIENTS HAVE ACHIEVED!!!

Very similar to me ... on diagnosis of Type 2 3 months ago (in March 2013) these were my scores:

18stone 6lbs
Liver ALT of 122 + AST of 56
HBA1C of 55 (7.2%)

3 months later (low carb and daily treadmill exercise):
15stone 7lbs
Liver ALT of 55 + AST 21
HBA1C of 31 (5%)

A

Anonymous

johnlfitz said:
Southport GP said:
8 WEEK STUDY IN GENERAL PRACTICE, SOUTHPORT- EFFECTS OF A LOW CARB MODERATE FAT DIET OVER 7 WEEKS
13 patients, 7 pre diabetics and 6 type two diabetics were asked if they were interested in trying a low carb moderate fat diet they agreed to have their HbA1c monitored along with liver function, lipids (HDL and LDL cholesterol), weight and blood pressure.
HbA1c on average lasts as long as the red blood cell it occupies -120 days so improvements in care can easily take 12-14 weeks to show in the HbA1c result. Our results are all the more surprising as the improvements stated were measured after only 7 weeks.
RESULTS: One patient didn’t like the diet and dropped out after a few weeks. Of the remaining 12 all had significant weight loss averaging 6.2Kg after 8 weeks and an amazing drop in HbA1c averaging 9.8mmol/mol in 7 weeks
This resulted in all the prediabetics having a normal Hb A1c.
Of the 6 diabetics:3 ended up with normal HbA1c< 42. Two ended up with pre diabetic HbA1c<48. One ended up with a much improved HbA1c result from 83 to 57.
All had either improved cholesterol or they remained the same, despite the higher fat diet.
7 of the 12 had abnormal liver function tests at the outset and all saw a significant improvement.
5 of the 12 were able to come off regular medication of one form or another.
I'M SO PROUD OF WHAT MY PATIENTS HAVE ACHIEVED!!!

Very similar to me ... on diagnosis of Type 2 3 months ago (in March 2013) these were my scores:

18stone 6lbs
Liver ALT of 122 + AST of 56
HBA1C of 55 (7.2%)

3 months later (low carb and daily treadmill exercise):
15stone 7lbs
Liver ALT of 55 + AST 21
HBA1C of 31 (5%)

Well done John. What is your cholesterol? I have an ALT of 9 iu/L and I can't find AST (aspartate aminotransferase?) on my list.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

gezzathorpe said:
Just got my results ...

Triglyceride 0.7 mmol/L
HDL 1.4 mmol/L
LDL 2.4 mmol/L
Cholesterol 4.1mmol/L

Great results Gezzathorpe :clap: You must be well pleased :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Sid Bonkers said:
gezzathorpe said:
Just got my results ...

Triglyceride 0.7 mmol/L
HDL 1.4 mmol/L
LDL 2.4 mmol/L
Cholesterol 4.1mmol/L

Great results Gezzathorpe :clap: You must be well pleased :thumbup:

Feeling really good, thanks Sid. Think it has been on my mind a bit so quite relieved, but no room for complacency. I even received an 'Oscar' from our friend if you care to take a look. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.