HBA1C = 40

Andrew337

Hi I am Diabetic type 2 and I try to keep to a kind of Keto diet, trying to minimise carbs and not eat any sugar excuses (which happens from time to time). My HBA1C is 40, this means that I am normal, does this mean I am in remission? I have also been asked to see GP about kidney function, what could this be about? I drink a little more than I should but not a crazy amount (in my humble opinion!).

Thanks.

Reactions: Retanna

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am Diabetic type 2 and I try to keep to a kind of Keto diet, trying to minimise carbs and not eat any sugar excuses (which happens from time to time). My HBA1C is 40, this means that I am normal, does this mean I am in remission? I have also been asked to see GP about kidney function, what could this be about? I drink a little more than I should but not a crazy amount (in my humble opinion!).

Thanks.
Depending on the way your surgery counts it, a certain number of normal results will get you listed as in remission.
The annual tests do include kidney function so that might have been flagged but only your GP will know the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: Daphne917

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Late last year my A1c was about 35 so in February/March this year my DN reclassified me as in remission this meant I no longer qualified for annual diabetic eye scan but A1c tests and lipid tests were still kept at 3 monthly, only thing is since then my A1c has risen to 48 so going into remission does not mean you can relax your control completely.

The reason they may wish to talk to you is that high blood sugars can be damaging to the kidneys and if your eGfr has lowered they may just want to keep an eye on it.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Andrew337

Late last year my A1c was about 35 so in February/March this year my DN reclassified me as in remission this meant I no longer qualified for annual diabetic eye scan but A1c tests and lipid tests were still kept at 3 monthly, only thing is since then my A1c has risen to 48 so going into remission does not mean you can relax your control completely.

The reason they may wish to talk to you is that high blood sugars can be damaging to the kidneys and if your eGfr has lowered they may just want to keep an eye on it.
Do you think as you get older or as one’s body necessarily ages it gets harder for the body to stay in that safe zone.

Reactions: filly

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Has this rise from 35 to 48 been attended by any ‘lifestyle’ change of which you are aware? If not it would place a worrying question mark over the sustainability of remission and lead some to wonder whether it was a worthwhile goal.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If not it would place a worrying question mark over the sustainability of remission and lead some to wonder whether it was a worthwhile goal.
Any period of remission is worthwhile. At the very least it gives us a period of better health and delays the complications that may come in the future. Aiming for remission, as long as it is not something with which to beat oneself up about, is good. Its an aim, thats all, not a target we have to hit and stay at for the rest of our lives.

Accepting what our bodies do and dont do is important for our mental health and emotional wellbeing, which also helps our blood sugar levels. We never know what tomorrow holds, but we can do our best today with what we can.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has this rise from 35 to 48 been attended by any ‘lifestyle’ change of which you are aware? If not it would place a worrying question mark over the sustainability of remission and lead some to wonder whether it was a worthwhile goal.
I suppose that would depend on viewpoint.

I'm with @lucylocket61 on this.

Most members have found the forum, because they want to do 'something' to better their diabetes.

Theoretically we'll all die, so why bother ?

Because I would suggest, most of us who managed to get here, want to live the 'best' life we can with diabetes.

Of course that can entail effort AND even that may bring disappointment.

I mean, we all look crossing the road, but some still do get hit by cars, so why should the rest of us bother.

Isn't it that not looking Can HURT.

Same as not bothering looking after ourselves with T2D, or any illness can HURT.

I realise that's not your point, @chrisjohnh

which is why I think @lucylocket61 has got this spot on.

Do what YOU can .. for YOU .
In as safe & sustainable way, as possible.

And bear in mind many of us will have competing illness we have to balance as we age

We all find our own path on this journey .

I think aiming to be the best US, we can be, within reason & our own limits, is a worthy goal.

Remission Or not.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have had my eyes checked annually - you might have been classified as 'diabetes resolved' rather than 'diabetes in remission' by mistake, I have read of that happening to someone else.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Do you think as you get older or as one’s body necessarily ages it gets harder for the body to stay in that safe zone.
It could quite well be but for me the major change seems to have happened since I got covid but it would seem that as you age metabolic changes take place that make things more difficult but not impossible remission can be sustainable but you have to make an effort to maintain it.

Edit to add that I do understand that sometimes changes happen that make it beyond your control.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jjraak

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose that would depend on viewpoint.

I'm with @lucylocket61 on this.

Most members have found the forum, because they want to do 'something' to better their diabetes.

Theoretically we'll all die, so why bother ?

Because I would suggest, most of us who managed to get here, want to live the 'best' life we can with diabetes.

Of course that can entail effort AND even that may bring disappointment.

I mean, we all look crossing the road, but some still do get hit by cars, so why should the rest of us bother.

Isn't it that not looking Can HURT.

Same as not bothering looking after ourselves with T2D, or any illness can HURT.

I realise that's not your point, @chrisjohnh

which is why I think @lucylocket61 has got this spot on.

Do what YOU can .. for YOU .
In as safe & sustainable way, as possible.

And bear in mind many of us will have competing illness we have to balance as we age

We all find our own path on this journey .

I think aiming to be the best US, we can be, within reason & our own limits, is a worthy goal.

Remission Or not.
Much wisdom in your reply, thank you.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could quite well be but for me the major change seems to have happened since I got covid but it would seem that as you age metabolic changes take place that make things more difficult but not impossible remission can be sustainable but you have to make an effort to maintain it.

Edit to add that I do understand that sometimes changes happen that make it beyond your control.
Gave an "Agree" for your main point.

A manly hug, for the covid & aftermath .

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
We have to be careful with remission, in some regions there are differences to thresholds. Staying in remission is like being tennis world number 1 year after year, diabetes is just a rampant as younger players trying to take the crown. Diabetes does not take a day or minute off.

My view is that remission should be viewed in an absolute way, i.e. it is not a "cure", but my words are virtual cure, so long as the previous habits are not re-introduced. I subscribe to other standards for full remission for diseases such as cancer of a period of 5 years. I would not ease off, when you originally crossed the threshold, it is likely that vulnerability is still there.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and MrsA2

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
yeah - I hit an HBA1c of 40 a couple of times, in the early years post diagnosis (and boy - did I work hard at it!). But I was unable to sustain it, which is when remission kicks in, depending on your country's (or countries' in my case then) definition. The category then, according to the - I can't be bothered looking it up, lol, for me then was 'partial remission' meaning being able to sustain prediabetic level HBA1cs for many years, until I didn't. I'm back there again now, whew, and hope to sustain it.

I would have been in seventh heaven if my blood glucose levels had kept going down - which might be the case for you - and then you are in the 'green zone' when it comes to HBA1cs colour coded charts. You would have a decent wee buffer then, because your blood glucose system was chugging along well.

I hope this happens for you! And after some years, without meds, you would be officially in remission. Good luck.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks.
Depending on the way your surgery counts it, a certain number of normal results will get you listed as in remission.
The annual tests do include kidney function so that might have been flagged but only your GP will know the situation.
@Andrew337 well done on getting your hba1c back to normal levels. As @Resurgam states above it very much depends on your GP surgery as to when/if they recognise you as being in remission. My hba1c has been at a normal level for approx 9 years however it was only last year that my DN intimated that I was very well controlled and possibly in remission whereas other members here have been declared as in remission after having a normal hba1c for 2-3 years.

Ricmel

The single biggest difference I have found is resistance training. I got diagnosed at age 58 with HbA1c at 110. Got that down quickly to 37 with diet and walking but after a while started to struggle to keep under control. Started training with weights at 60 and have added quite a bit of muscle and now find I can maintain low readings much easier. I know one day time will catch up but in my experience, the less fat and more muscle you are carrying the better your protection against higher readings.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My body says a definite NO! I was diagnosed nine years ago and since then have eaten a LCHF/keto diet which keeps my glucose to mainly low pre diabetic/just about normal levels for most of the time, with no diabetic medication (metformin) since 2017. Any small HbA1c blips have tended to be due to issues such as health/pain and certain medications (e.g. the dreaded statins which I no longer take, and a few cortico-steroid jabs).

My GP calls my T2 "well controlled", I'm happy with this and see no real point in chasing lower numbers. I have absolutely no problems with my current diet (though I've always eaten normal fat)- I actually prefer it and intend to carry on eating this way indefinitely. I'm now 80, inactive and still somewhat overweight. I consider myself fortunate in that I have no particular issues (so far!) which make it impossible to manage - but there are others who through no fault of their own may not fare so well.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last blood results from the bloods lab didn't state "normal not indicative of diabetes" which is what is usually states. This time it stated, "in remission". So I guess it must be true. It's taken 3 years in the making for it to be made "official", but hospital was telling me I was in remission in 2020 so differing opinions. Doc was talking about adding diabetes resolved on my notes not long ago, but I suggested he reconsider that one. I do have to closely watch what I eat but that's not a hardship. I am hoping to be able to sustain reasonable HbA1cs for a fair long while. The longer I can keep at normal levels the better it is for my health, I feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: nutribolt