How long are you on LCHF diet?

Gsp

Hi All
How long are you on LCHF diet ? This is to get some inspiration for me to stay on the course.

M

Member496333

Coming up on three years of dietary ketosis. Started out paleo with dairy. Been hyper-carnivore for over a year. Now 100% carnivore with zero non-animal intake. Not even coffee.

Reactions: OrsonKartt and Gsp

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since May 2017 :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eight and a half years. I am maintaining my blood sugar levels, and still med free.

I envisage doing this for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Gsp and hankjam

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb/ketogenic for seven years in November, with no diabetic meds (metformin) for last 3 years. Glucose has been mainly stable - HbA1c range between low pre-diabetic to high end of normal for most of that time, with a few slightly higher levels due to non-dietary issues.

And like @Lucylocket, for me it's been and will remain a lifetime commitment. One of the best and easiest things I've ever done!:)

Reactions: ziggy_w and Gsp

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Newbie here 9 months and i love it, wish i had started sooner

no more bloating, no more eating for the sake of it, no more processed food with an ingredients list as long as your arm, no more sugar cravings the list goes on

i was devastated at diagnosis but it’s probably the best thing that could’ve have happened to me, gives you the wake up call that your health is the most important thing in the world and all it takes is a few tweaks and determination

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Five and a half years. On Metformin until a year ago, now diet and exercise only. Stable weight (hallelujah!), stable blood glucose in 30's. Easily able to maintain diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started lowering my carbs deliberately in the mid 80s, but went properly Low Carb around 1990 (when I started catering for myself)
Didn’t consciously increase the fat, but looking back, that inevitably happened.

During the intervening 30 yrs I have played with all sorts of different ways of eating, from 80% raw, to low GI/GL, to keto, to carnivore, to green smoothies every day, to gluten free/keto/carni, with varying (Low) carb intake.

However, I have very rarely eaten more than 50g carbs a day in that time, simply because my body handles carbs so badly that they make me feel ill.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a couple of weeks it'll be 7 years. Only one HbA1c is the diabetic range, ever.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Gsp

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Almost three years in a few weeks time. No meds, now normal hbac1, maintained weight loss and loving this way of eating no plans to change this as it suits me so well.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just over seven years. Before that I was eating healthy carbs that were making me so ill!
However, due to some recent bad news, I came out of Keto and my health suffered.
I'm now back on track!
If I would have had the option a decade before diagnosis. It would be coming up to twenty years.

With my RH, I would be a fool not to eat Keto.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Five years and a bit -- enjoying this way of eating a lot.

Normal HbA1cs ever since (between 29 and 36 mmol). All other blood markers much better and in the normal range too as is blood pressure. On no medication for the last four years.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over four years now, I can’t imagine going back to a high carb diet, too much stodge. Try to keep around 20-25 grams a day, max, on a good day perhaps as low as 10.

Reactions: Gsp and Goonergal