1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How to gain weight without carbs

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Valsal, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Valsal

Valsal · Newbie

I was diagnosed with type 2 due to cancer treatment. "cancer drug treatment induced diabetes" I am struggling to hold any weight while sticking yo low Carb diet. Tried usual stuff

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Added fats whilst lowering carbs? Added more? Perhaps more protein?

3. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In general if you have a calorific surplus, you will gain weight. Fats have more calories per gram than protein or carbs. So eat more fats or proteins, such as nuts as these are very calorie dense.

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just checking that you've definitely got T2 rather than T1 or T3c? As if you're losing weight because of lack of insulin rather than insulin resistance the advice is rather different....

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Valsal

Valsal · Newbie

Yes definitely Type2 apparently. Tablets were mentioned initially but after hospital admittance, doc carried on with insulin.
    I have to have an immunotherapy drug (cancer treatment) every 3 weeks which doesn't help!!

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I thought fats did not cause weight gain, as that is what I have read

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

It may do if the calorie content is too high.

My personal experience was that after I lost all my excess weight on low carb and needed to gain a few pounds and then maintain I actually reduced my carbs for blood sugar reasons and at the same time seriously upped my fats with extra protein. I vastly increased my egg consumption, started eating cheese that previously had been off the menu, extra cream, increased my mayonnaise and vastly increased my butter. I put those few pounds back on to reach an ideal weight and have maintained for over 4 and a half years. Whilst losing weight I was also calorie counting in addition to carbs, fats and protein amounts. I stuck to about 1200 calories. Once the weight had gone I increased this to 1800 calories with the increased fats and protein. Once stable, I stopped counting. No idea how many calories I eat now but my weight doesn't fluctuate.

If weight gain is needed, it can only come from increasing carbs, fats or protein. There is no other way. Carb increase isn't wise, so it's down to fats and protein.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. HSSS

Well if increasing carbs in inadvisable and protein can have some more limited effect on glucose levels it only leaves fats! In keto, and low carb, carbs are eaten to a set limit. Protein is eaten to a goal to protect lean muscle and repair processes. Fats are a lever for satiety and control. Eat fewer and fat from the body is utilised and weight lost. Eat more and that’s what gets used for energy and if in excess stored as weight gain.

What I think gets confused is fat as a nutrient in and of itself gets blamed for obesity rather than considered as a whole picture and in neglect of the role carbs play, especially for diabetics. Too much energy intake for a particular body (and depending on the health status of that particular body) compared to the amounts actually able to be used will lead to gains. What’s tricky is working out what’s going in, what’s being used properly and efficiently, what’s being stored and why. We are not closed loop lab machines. We run multiple systems in sync and they all effect the calculations in ways simple equations can not cope with. Eg CICO is just too simplified and unmeasurable in the real human.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

are you a type 2 on insulin? Could you fill in your profile please, and then people replying will know how to tailor their suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

If you are fat adapted and eat fats, without over doing it, your body will preference burning fat for fuel what you eat and some stored fat. If you over eat fats, this is stored energy so weight will be gained. The worst case scenario is high carbs and high fat. The carbs need to be burned off first, the overflow of this will turn to fat, adding to the fats consumed.

Eating higher protein allows more calories without the associated weight gain (of the top of my head I believe I have cross referenced 300 - 400 calorie leeway). The thermal effect of protein is greatest as the body works harder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It possible thay some slow release carbs (think lentils, beans etc) are needed to allow enough inslin to grain weight.

12. Archvile

Archvile · Member

I am going through a similar process. How to gain weight wile staying low carb.
    Based on my personal research and practice I would second the opinion of increasing protein/fiber and fats. You also want to keep an eye on the quality of fats. Saturated fats would inadvertently hit your cholesterol levels.
    Nuts, beans, eggs (I try to consume only the egg whites with a dash of yolk), low carb chesses, chicken, did I say eggs.
    I don't know your personal situation but I do also recommend a little bit of weight lifting to gain a bit of muscle, or at least keep the muscle from losing away.
    Good luck and cheers*

13. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Saturated fats do not effect cholestral levels. Out of interest Archville why do you only eat egg white?

14. Archvile

Archvile · Member

Hi pixie1,

It is my understanding that saturated fat increase the LDL levels or what I know of as the bad cholesterol.
    I am sketchy on the egg yolk because I have read contradictory articles. Some suggest they are OK some suggest they aren't. Most researches I read about give statistics on one egg a day. I eat around 3 eggs a day, so to err on the side of not OK, I avoid the yolks. Egg whites also give me the proteins necessary for my workout.

15. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I've read that the saturated fats you eat only contribute around 15% to your liver's output of cholesterol hence having sat fat should have very little effect. It appears to be your overall diet etc including carbs that drives the liver's output.

16. HSSS

The egg cholesterol myth was widely debunked 10 yrs ago

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Most people's experience is that says do not effect cholestral. It certainly did not effect my cholesterol levels. In fact my Doctor said he never known my blood results to be so good. Silver lining in being diabetic, you learn, that the mantra which NHS give on healthy eating, I in fact incorrect. It makes it hard when people insist carbs Is important, I just want to keep my limb.
    Saturated fats are liquid form in room temperature, very difficult to vlog the arteries ere as hydrogenated fats in do

18. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

But all the goodness is in the yolks.

My understanding is the liver makes our cholesterol as and when it is needed. If we consume dietary cholesterol the liver simply makes a bit less.

I have 3 eggs a day on average, and eat tons of saturated fats from dairy foods. My lipids are perfect. What I don't eat are vegetable fats and seed oils. (except the rapeseed in my mayonnaise but that is compensated for by the omega 3 it contains)

19. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes there's always a lot of conflicting info. But Dr Berg also comments on these "studies" that don't have sufficient control measures for the assessments. He has 4 eggs a day himself and has for over 30 years, he doesn't believe the risks are there for people without preexisting conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think you will find that there are hundreds (possibly thousands) on here who agree that Saturated Fats are actually good (not bad) and that it is Carbs in quantities promoted by government policies which are actually bad - at least for T2 diabetics!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook