DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
but can't handle taking tablets.

Tablets in general? Or just Metformin which is understandable, even SR. Does your DN know that you're not taking Metformin? Any advice given by a medic is based on you taking the meds that are prescribed. Maybe you should have c-pep test to see what your pancreas is doing, maybe you're type I. Although either way carb counting is a great help.

BTW, if you haven't done so already, this is worth reading, you have to take your BG levels more seriously.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

Waiting may not always be an option.

Last edited:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Learning to carb count and getting some tailored education about your diabetes would be far more valuable than a CGM, in my opinion.

I'm very glad you're seeing the DSN. Don't be palmed off. The bottom line is you need to improve your control to reduce your risk of getting long term complications.

You've done very well with your weight loss, now you need to get the diabetes under proper control. You can do it - keep pushing for support and keep going :)

Please do let us know how it goes today.

It didn't go well, receptionist told me that I couldn't be seen as apparently their is no appointment for me to see the DSN until next month. I'm now waiting too be seen by my GP, which should have been at 1:30pm. On the upside I tested at 11am with a reading of 13.6 and just now with a reading of 10.4. Downside I feel like utter ****.

Reactions: kokhongw

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 Im very sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Push politely but push hard. Tell whoever you see that you're feeling ill, that you're unable to control your blood sugar, and that you haven't been given the support you need. If it was me, I'd ask them if they'd be happy if their blood sugar was as high as yours, knowing what they do about complications.

Don't be put off. Be polite but be firm.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
it takes some days to get down, keep on eating the right stuff and your bloods will be better..just dont eat pasta and juice and bread and potatoes and rice or fruit, ---- just eat berries instead..

Well that's my dinner out of the question, homemade chicken jalfrezi.

How much did you have? Quantity matters, even when it is low carb.

I would consider lowering food intake till the glucose level stabilize. Taking some leafy vegetable soups or handful of nuts.

I had one fried egg, 2 rashers of bacon and a handful of onions and mushrooms.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you tell him how high your BGs have been?

Words fail me, I think I'd better step away from the keyboard ....

Reactions: spook_kate_

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My doctor was ok, he has recommended me to a Desmond course and to a weekly meeting with other diabetics. Then sent me on my way.

Now I've got to deal with having a takeaway curry.

At least you got recommnended a course :)

Test lots after your curry and see how your blood sugar is. If you've eaten the same thing before and gone high, then maybe bear that in mind and fill up on veg and meat rather than too much rice/carbs.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well part of getting well is to take a responsibillity over ones food and eat what is the best for a diabetic... if one eat like 300 grams of carbs a day and are a type 2 diabetic one can easily end up with neuropathy and wounds that will not heal and other even worse conditions.... it really is the main road to get a good life as a diabetic to rule out the bad food choices... medication does not do the job alone

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one fried egg, 2 rashers of bacon and a handful of onions and mushrooms.

That's not much at all, sounds like you are eating right and unlikely the cause of a major spike in glucose level...the additional way that may help to lower your glucose level is to go for walks. A 20-30 mins walk after meals will help. Nothing too strenuous when your glucose levels are high.

You were doing well a couple of months back on lower carbs. Perhaps you can go back to your previous routine again.

Reactions: Freema

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At least you got recommnended a course :)

Test lots after your curry and see how your blood sugar is. If you've eaten the same thing before and gone high, then maybe bear that in mind and fill up on veg and meat rather than too much rice/carbs.

My blood sugar was 15.4 before I had the curry and I had chicken jalfrezi, lamb tikka starter, egg fried pilau rice, onion bahji, garlic and peshwari naan.

Everything was shared out and I got asked if I wanted chips or rice and I went for more rice, no chips. Poppadoms got demolished by my sister and my dad had my chips.

Took my Novorapid before I ate and then afterwards fell asleep watching Dragon, waking up at the end and then going bed.

Woke up at 6 this morning, had some tea and my blood sugar reading was 20.4. Haven't had breakfast yet, but I will be having bacon and cheese oatcakes instead of weetabix.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds like an improvement @akindrat18 Keep testing lots as you're adjusting your diet.

You really do need input from a proper DSN (not a surgery nurse) because it could well be your basal dose and your meal ratios all need adjusting. That might help you a lot.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds like an improvement @akindrat18 Keep testing lots as you're adjusting your diet.

You really do need input from a proper DSN (not a surgery nurse) because it could well be your basal dose and your meal ratios all need adjusting. That might help you a lot.

What test strips are good and cheap, as I can't get any more from my doctor as he thinks that 100 strips will last me a month, especially now that I have a ketone meter.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What test strips are good and cheap, as I can't get any more from my doctor as he thinks that 100 strips will last me a month, especially now that I have a ketone meter.

I'm not sure about the rules for Type 2s on insulin, but there are rules for Type 1s that say test strips shouldn't be limited. You could ask your doctor to increae the amount of test strips per month, saying that you can't get control with the amount you're given. It's worth a try.

SD Codefree strips are used by Type 2s who don't qualify for free strips, but as you do, I'd try your doctor first.

What meter are you using?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 I think it might be worth starting a new thread in either Type 2 on Insulin or Ask A Question asking other Type 2s in insulin how many strips a month they get.

I'm not familiar with the meter you're using unfortunately.

So start a new thread and next week try asking your doctor for more strips. You should then have information from other members here to help you :)

I have two meters and get my strips for free. One of my meters is the Freestyle Lite. It's very good and I believe the strips aren't too expensive if it did end up you needed to buy extra.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 I've had a quick look on Amazon. The strips for your meter are approx £19 for 50 which is a similar price to the Freestyle.

Your DSN may back up your request for extra strips even if it's only for a few months while you get control.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 I've had a quick look on Amazon. The strips for your meter are approx £19 for 50 which is a similar price to the Freestyle.

Your DSN may back up your request for extra strips even if it's only for a few months while you get control.

I've just spoken with my DSN after she phoned me and told her about my high blood sugars. She said that she is going to prescribe me more test strips, test my blood sugars through the night to see if I am going low or staying high and wait for a call on Friday to report them. I'm also to continue with my prescribed medication until I see the other DSN next week. Even though I told her my high blood sugars, she wants me to still take 10 units of novorapid at each meal.

Reactions: azure