Hungry and thirsty through the night

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just spoken with my DSN after she phoned me and told her about my high blood sugars. She said that she is going to prescribe me more test strips, test my blood sugars through the night to see if I am going low or staying high and wait for a call on Friday to report them. I'm also to continue with my prescribed medication until I see the other DSN next week. Even though I told her my high blood sugars, she wants me to still take 10 units of novorapid at each meal.

Well, that's some progress :) More test strips will be great for you, and stop you having to ration yourself :)

I guess she's being cautious about increasing your insulin, but at least you've spoken to her and will be getting another call on Friday.

That's all sounding very positive. It'll take a while to get everything sorted, but I think you've made some good steps towards that :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
egg fried pilau rice, onion bahji, garlic and peshwari naan.

Stuff like that sends me back from 5.0 mmols to 15 mmols....but I am able bring it back down with some strong tea....

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
oatcakes instead of weetabix.

That's about 60gms of carb per 100gms of oatcakes, as opposed to 25 gms of carb per 100gms of weetabix.

I'm confused, you're complaining of high BG despite taking insulin and other meds, maybe cutting carbs would be a good start.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's like trying to put out a fire with a water hose while simultaneously poring fuel on it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 has been posting for nearly 5 years. He has had all the dietary advice there is, many times. He has had all the warnings about complications many times. He has, at times, tried very hard, then fallen off the wagon again. He has problems with his family and their eating habits and is very much under their influence. He has lost a lot of weight in the meantime.

He really doesn't need shouting at over and over about carbs and complications. He knows all this. He needs a different sort of help that we probably can't give him. Hopefully he can get his insulin doses sorted and hopefully will benefit from the course he is going on in the near future.

I wish him luck.

Reactions: spook_kate_

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's about 60gms of carb per 100gms of oatcakes, as opposed to 25 gms of carb per 100gms of weetabix.

I'm confused, you're complaining of high BG despite taking insulin and other meds, maybe cutting carbs would be a good start.

It's hard to cut carbs in my household as it's full of tempting carbs and junk food, no veg at all apart from potatoes.

I am trying to keep my carb intake to 200 grams a day. I limit myself to 70 grams for breakfast, 30 grams for lunch and 100 grams for dinner. Tonight's dinner was grilled fish fingers, onion rings and garlic breaded mushrooms, three of each with a portion of mushy peas.

My family had chips and bread with dinner, which looked so delicious and now cooking strudel for afters.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard to cut carbs in my household as it's full of tempting carbs and junk food, no veg at all apart from potatoes.

I am trying to keep my carb intake to 200 grams a day. I limit myself to 70 grams for breakfast, 30 grams for lunch and 100 grams for dinner. Tonight's dinner was grilled fish fingers, onion rings and garlic breaded mushrooms, three of each with a portion of mushy peas.

My family had chips and bread with dinner, which looked so delicious and now cooking strudel for afters.

seems it would be safer for you to move on your own... your families foods are far to tempting :cool::bored::depressed:

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 I can understand the temptation of having all that food around. It must be hard.

Do you cook your own meals? Is moving out to a place of your own an option at all?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I also wonder if moving out might be an option? Have you ever looked at this possibility? With your own accommodation, your own food cupboards and fridge, you may have a better chance of improving your diet and your health.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 I can understand the temptation of having all that food around. It must be hard.

Do you cook your own meals? Is moving out to a place of your own an option at all?

I sometimes do cook my own meals when my parents work late, but then I get criticised by my sister for eating too much eggs, cheese and bacon.

I also wonder if moving out might be an option? Have you ever looked at this possibility? With your own accommodation, your own food cupboards and fridge, you may have a better chance of improving your diet and your health.

I am currently looking at the possibility of moving out, but with no job and what little money I get from Universal Credit, it's not an option when I've got to pay my student overdraft back in a few months and paying monthly for an overpayment of a few grand from a miscalculation of student finance 3 years ago.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 I think you need to be strong and ignore your sister. Just carry on and cook your own meals no matter what she says. It is your health, not hers.

I understand how difficult it is for you, and I'm sorry your finances can't stretch to a place of your own, so you have to make the best of it and stick to your guns. Don't allow yourself to be bullied.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sometimes do cook my own meals when my parents work late, but then I get criticised by my sister for eating too much eggs, cheese and bacon.

I am currently looking at the possibility of moving out, but with no job and what little money I get from Universal Credit, it's not an option when I've got to pay my student overdraft back in a few months and paying monthly for an overpayment of a few grand from a miscalculation of student finance 3 years ago.

Ignore your sister. If you need to answer her, just say your diet has to replace carbs with protein and fat. Don't get into an argument. Give a polite answer then carry on with what you're doing.

Have you checked out how much housing benefit you could get and what you could afford? Have you tried speaking to your student finance company to get the repayments to a level that's manageable for you? If not, there are organisations that may be able to help.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ignore your sister. If you need to answer her, just say your diet has to replace carbs with protein and fat. Don't get into an argument. Give a polite answer then carry on with what you're doing.

Have you checked out how much housing benefit you could get and what you could afford? Have you tried speaking to your student finance company to get the repayments to a level that's manageable for you? If not, there are organisations that may be able to help.

She always turns it into an argument, like my consumption of diet coke as she thinks I drink way too much.

I haven't checked out how much housing benefit I would get and I'm repaying £7.50 each month to student finance.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I appreciate that trying to follow a different dietary regime in a family is going to be difficult, are you the only one that's diabetic. You say you try to keep your carbs to about 200gms but that's about 800 calories which sounds pretty close to 1/3 of 2400 cals or about what somebody of about 20 stone requires to MAINTAIN weight.

You have two choices and it's entirely up to you, we can offer our thoughts but we can't tell you what to do. If your present regime with the amount of insulin you take and the amount of meds you take means that you regularly have BG in the 30s or 20s or even the teens, then something has to change before nature takes over and you must know what diabetic complications means.

Reducing your carbs to a much lower level than 200 gms is going to help you a lot, I don't think there's any alternative. As an example I cut out spuds, pasta, rice and bread (so that includes strudel) and my carb intake was about 40gms. I did that despite my wife being able to eat anything and eat like a horse and not gain weight. We're different, I get it, I have to behave different otherwise I will be heading towards an early grave and at 64, that's not so far off.

You are young and should have a good life ahead of you, not if you don't change your ways. As I said you have two choices, it's entirely up to you.

BTW, your sister might be right about the diet coke. You don't have to believe me, or your sister, there's enough information available to study the effects of diet sodas, especially for diabetics. Don't forget, you asked for help, forum members want to help, it will seem hard to make drastic changes, but if it were me it's a no brainer, don't become a victim, take charge and sort yourself out. I'm sure your parents don't want a son who is ill all the time and trust me on this, no parent wants to lose a son or daughter.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm pretty sure diet drinks helped me on my way to becoming insulin resistant, fat and diabetic. I rarely drink them now, preferring water which is much healthier and cheaper.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She always turns it into an argument, like my consumption of diet coke as she thinks I drink way too much.

I haven't checked out how much housing benefit I would get and I'm repaying £7.50 each month to student finance.

@akindrat18 It takes two people to argue. If you just answer once to give the explanation I gave above and then ignore her, she can't argue with you. I know it can be infuriating, but screen her out and get on with what you're doing. She'll eventually get the message and only pass an occasional comment on what you're eating and drinking.

Again - moving out would mean you wouldn't have to deal with this stress.

Your profile shows you as being in Stoke on Trent:

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/advice/benefits/local-housing-allowance.en

The link above shows you what housing benefit you should get.

Your £7.50 a month to student finance sounds reasonable, but you could always ask to,reduce that slightly if you did move out.

Just something to consider. You may find being more independent helps you a lot.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
She always turns it into an argument,

Azure has a link well worth looking at, plenty of info and recipes, better start honing your cooking skills, maybe the family could benefit from watching their carbs. Strudel eh? I could not even be in the same room without my BG jumping and gaining a stone or more. Low Carb Program.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@akindrat18 I do appreciate what it's like to be the lone diabetic in the family unit as I am my self in a household of four and am the only one who is diabetic.Sometimes it is hard to fight your corner. But if you don't things will not improve and will over time get worse.

You must try and get your family to understand that you can no longer eat as they do and that it is your health and well being that is at stake here. And remember just because it's on your plate you do not have to eat and no one can force it on you..

Wishing you well and the best of luck in your personal battle with diabetes.

Fight the good fight and you will win in the end.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I will be cooking for myself tonight. Just need to find something suitable to eat in my kitchen.

Reactions: JohnEGreen